• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Speaking of FF7, holy **** have we not received ANY news on the remake.

Like, come on, KH3, has more news and that games taken 13 years.

I really hope it's good, and they ditch that episodic idea.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of Cloud, as anything been said about why they aren't getting his english VA in on this?
Only thing I've heard is something about a worker's union.

Why the hell does :ultroy: not have his yet?

Speaking of FF7, holy **** have we not received ANY news on the remake.

Like, come on, KH3, has more news and that games taken 13 years.

I really hope it's good, and they ditch that episodic idea.
the remake's so big you need three discs again.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Just for future reference, is today's update supposed to be the day we normally get music on the website?
Yes
Yeah I noticed that this morning. It still feels weird to not have "This game's winner is...", but I feel like the "...wins!" being removed and just saying their name is a good choice.
It feel wrong to just say their name and only their name
Will Will
Re: More 3rd Parties
"A little too much is just enough for me!"
Shadow The Hedgehog
Ow The Edge
Need

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Apparently, from what my friends at the Source Gaming Discord, the only thing about the Dante leak that makes it sketchy is that dmcv info was basically the worst kept secret in gaming for a while.
Ah, so it was something going around the leaker channels beforehand like Simon Belmont.

If that's the case, we should definitely keep an eye on the second post. If any of the information in that gets confirmed, then that boosts his legitimacy alone and we don't have to worry about it being potentially mixed in false information.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Cloud, as anything been said about why they aren't getting his english VA in on this?
Steve Burton is a union based actor and Smash is a non-union production, but his contract with Square requires him to be credited as the voice of Cloud, so he cannot go uncredited.

Why the hell does :ultroy: not have his yet?
Roy will likely be English and the only reason we haven't heard about it is because Roy's voice isn't being changed in the Japanese version.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Umm.... no. It's a reference to how unconditionally devoted I am to him.

That was a thing? Wow, holy ****
Yeah, it was drawn by a kid with colored pencils, but I can't find it, I'll post it if I do.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

infomon

Smash Scientist
My one concern with the Ultimate footage is that the visuals are so... chaotic. So much explosion, smoke, effects. I can hardly see the characters or what they're doing. I've tried watching the 2v2 with Dark Samus trying to follow her character, but she just gets lost in explosions and stuff.

Which is exactly the sort of thing that the smoke-effect is supposed to solve. I'm just hoping it gets tweaked and toned down.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I would like to eventually see third party reps from these franchises:

Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
King of Fighters
Tekken
Assassin’s Creed
Suikoden
NiGHTs
Professor Layton
Phoenix Weight
Brazzers
Tomb Raider
Uncharted
Crazy Taxi
Worms
.hack
Bonk
Saint’s Row
Twisted Metal
LEGO

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
King of Fighters
Tekken
Assassin’s Creed
Suikoden
NiGHTs
Professor Layton
Phoenix Weight
Brazzers
Tomb Raider
Uncharted
Crazy Taxi
Worms
.hack
Bonk
Saint’s Row
Twisted Metal
LEGO
I once considered a literal Crazy Taxi as an Assist Trophy, though now I think the Sega non-represented AT should be Joker from Persona 5

Haseo from .hack G U would be sweet as an AT too

why LEGO tho???

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
King of Fighters
Tekken
Assassin’s Creed
Suikoden
NiGHTs
Professor Layton
Phoenix Weight
Brazzers
Tomb Raider
Uncharted
Crazy Taxi
Worms
.hack
Bonk
Saint’s Row
Twisted Metal
LEGO
Don't you think for a second, I didn't catch that.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Man. I know this is probably off topic by now, but when I first watched the Snake vs K. Rool video I was positive the video was a fast-forwarded version. Does Snake look faster to anyone else? It just seems faster than E3.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Man. I know this is probably off topic by now, but when I first watched the Snake vs K. Rool video I was positive the video was a fast-forwarded version. Does Snake look faster to anyone else? It just seems faster than E3.
The game in general seems to have gotten a speed buff

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Smash has always placed emphasis on characters and character reveals have always been the spotlight of any smash game during pre-launch. On more than one occasion, character reveals basically broke the internet. Snake, Mega Man, Cloud, Ridley, King K Rool, everyone is here. These stand out as huge moments in smash history. Final Smashes, SSE, and Amiibos also stand has hallmarks of Smash dominating the internet.

I was thinking earlier how Smash can further break the internet. How could it possibly cause even more hype and chaos? Banjo-Kazooie? Master Chief? Goku? Crash? I imagine any one of these characters would just about do it but, then, something else came to my mind in the form of a Smash Direct segment:

Papa Sakurai: We have more news about Assist Trophies. Please take a look.

(Link, Pikachu, Luigi, and Kirby on fighting on Battlefield. An Assist Trophy pops up and they make a rush to grab it. Luigi, strangely, beats them to the punch and grabs it. Holding it aloft, the Assist Trophy emerges revealing none other than Mario. Mario then travels about the stage, performing basic attacks and specials against the opponents before performing a taunt and leaving.)

Ominipotent Sakurai Voice Over: Yes, you can summon playable characters as Assist trophies! The entire roster including echo fighters can be summoned. They will either launch into a series of attacks like Mario or...

(footage shows Bowser being summoned and transforming into Giga Bowser and performing his background punch attack)

Sakurai: They will begin thier Final Smash right of the bat. This version is weakened somewhat and is about the same strength of the Final Smash obtained by the Smash Meter. So you can summon the roster to help fight for you. Of course, you can’t summon characters who are currently fighting. I also imagine that you are asking: can confirmed Assist Trophy characters be playable characters?

(shows a picture of Waluigi and Ashley)

Naughty Sakurai: Well, perhaps they will get thier time to to shine but that’s for another time. You will have to wait and see.

In addition, the Pokémon Pikachu, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Mewtwo, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Greninja will also appear as Pokeball Pokémon.

(Sakurai bows)

I firmly believe this would break the internet and alter Smash speculation forever.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh God dammit I just now noticed the Brazzers

That’s enough internet for me today

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Smash has always placed emphasis on characters and character reveals have always been the spotlight of any smash game during pre-launch. On more than one occasion, character reveals basically broke the internet. Snake, Mega Man, Cloud, Ridley, King K Rool, everyone is here. These stand out as huge moments in smash history. Final Smashes, SSE, and Amiibos also stand has hallmarks of Smash dominating the internet.

I was thinking earlier how Smash can further break the internet. How could it possibly cause even more hype and chaos? Banjo-Kazooie? Master Chief? Goku? Crash? I imagine any one of these characters would just about do it but, then, something else came to my mind in the form of a Smash Direct segment:

Link, Pikachu, Luigi, and Kirby on fighting on Battlefield. An Assist Trophy pops up and they make a rush to grab it. Luigi, strangely, beats them to the punch and grabs it. Holding it aloft, the Assist Trophy emerges revealing none other than Mario. Mario then travels about the stage, performing basic attacks and specials against the opponents.

Ominipotent Sakurai Voice Over: Yes, you can summon playable characters as Assist trophies! The entire roster including echo fighters can be summoned. They will either launch into a series of attacks like Mario or...

(footage shows Bowser being summoned and transforming into Giga Bowser and performing his background punch attack)

Sakurai: They will begin thier Final Smash right of the bat. This version is weakened somewhat and is about the same strength of the Final Smash obtained by the Smash Meter. So you can summon the roster to help fight for you. Of course, you can’t summon characters who are currently fighting. I also imagine that you are asking: can confirmed Assist Trophy characters be playable characters?

Naughty Sakurai: Well, perhaps they will get thier time to to shine but that’s for another time. In addition, the Pokémon Pikachu, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Mewtwo, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Greninja will also appear as Pokeball Pokémon.

(Sakurai bows)

I firmly believe this would break the internet and alter Smash speculation forever.
I can't wait to play as Moon and Dr. Kawashima!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I'd enjoy Dante in Smash, it would seem like an odd inclusion given this games focus, from what we've seen. I would think he'd be better suited for DLC...

Now this might not mean anything in regards to the possible inclusion of Dante in Smash, but Hideki Kamiya posted this twitter poll on the 18th February in 2016, around the time where the Project Plan took place. Again, it might not mean anything and should not be considered evidence, but I felt it was interesting enough to post here now since it could be related to this rumor.
I mean, what other ways would Dante collaborate with Bayo other than Smash? This seems hugely plausible now (not evidence, as you said, but very noteworthy).

EDIT:

(Link, Pikachu, Luigi, and Kirby on fighting on Battlefield. An Assist Trophy pops up and they make a rush to grab it. Luigi, strangely, beats them to the punch and grabs it. Holding it aloft, the Assist Trophy emerges revealing none other than Mario. Mario then travels about the stage, performing basic attacks and specials against the opponents before performing a taunt and leaving.)

Naughty Sakurai: Well, perhaps they will get thier time to to shine but that’s for another time. You will have to wait and see.

In addition, the Pokémon Pikachu, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Mewtwo, Pichu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, and Greninja will also appear as Pokeball Pokémon.

(Sakurai bows)

Well, you know my choice for breaking the internet. xD Compared to all of the fan favorites being discussed, Banjo & Kazooie would be the prime example of making the "impossible possible". Though it could also just be simply impossible.

And I think your idea would break the internet for sure, just perhaps not the way Sakurai would want--showing Waluigi and Ashley only to say they'll get a chance another time feels like rubbing salt into those wounds (unless the implication being they would be shown off in a special way in another direct). There was an idea floated about, the idea of assist trophies being able to be utilized as a chosen summon in a particular mode--I think non-playable to "playable" works better than from playable to non-playable. I do think, regardless, Sakurai has one or two tricks left up his sleeve.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I wonder what the logo for Devil May Cry would be in Smash...

All Sakurai needs to do now is comment that Dante placed #2* on the ballot worldwide.

*Of realizable characters.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Either way it looks like it we really might get a 3rd Unique Capcom character whether it's Dante or MH. If if it does happen it makes it possible for the likes of Arle Nadja/Vyse/Aiai/Ulala to be contenters as well. Of course adds a bit of credence to both a Tekken and Tales character to be in.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking in a cool character from Monster Hunter to be in Smash:

LUTE FROM MONSTER HUNTER STORIES: RIDE ON

Is it perfect?

KMDP

Smash Legend
What do you mean? Are you talking about that in Final Fantasy 7 game, Zack have the same moveset of Cloud?
Okay, let me explain...
Early in Final Fantasy VII, Cloud claims to be a "1st Class" ex-member of "SOLDIER" (SOLDIER is the military division of Shinra, a mega-corp in the world of Final Fantasy, 1st Class is the top rank.)

What he actually is (well, was) is a former grunt level member of Shinra's Security (he wanted to be a member of SOLDIER, but couldn't cut it). Zack Fair was the SOLDIER 1st Class, who Cloud befriended in the backstory of FF7; Cloud and Zack were kidnapped by Shinra and experimented on for months, and Cloud kind of has a mental breakdown.

Zack lugs a catatonic Cloud back to Midgar from Niblheim (which is, like, the other side of the world) and tells him stories while doing so in an attempt to get him to break out of the catatonia (the catatonia is actually a symptom of Mako Poisoning, Mako being the lifeforce of the planet and the source of the game's Magic System). Eventually, Zack dies and Cloud recovers, taking up Zack's Buster Sword and sort of having Zack's memories.

Note: Zack takes Cloud to Midgar because it's the place with the best technology and therefore the best medical facilities, also he had a date with Aerith that he'd been putting off for, like, years at this point.
This is based on my memory of what goes down, I could be missing details.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
While I'd enjoy Dante in Smash, it would seem like an odd inclusion given this games focus, from what we've seen. I would think he'd be better suited for DLC...
I mean, what other ways would Dante collaborate with Bayo other than Smash? This seems hugely plausible now (not evidence, as you said, but very noteworthy).
Because Kamiya created Dante, it's custom for Sakurai to ask him if it's okay to use him. At least, that's what I've been told and led to believe.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I don't know if its my age (I'm only in my mid 20s) but I really don't get all of the Dante hate. Maybe younger people don't like him? Devil May Cry was a PHENOMENON. It revolutionized the action genre and many of us grew up with the series. You would NOT have Bayonetta (the same creator as DMC lmao) or God of War if weren't for him and we should be celebrating that there may even be a hint at the character joining the roster.

Damn man now I have him up there with Geno, Isaac and Banjo, as well as Kamiya's other creations (Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, and Wonder Red). I hope all of these character make it to Smash one day.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, I feel like the whole "Cloud's series got its start on the NES so he's totally okay, but Dante isn't!" is sorta not seeing the forest for the trees.

Everything about Cloud and his series representation is based in Final Fantasy VII. Everything. A game that has never seen the light of day on a Nintendo console in any way, shape, or form. At that point it just becomes arbitrary semantics to be okay with Cloud's inclusion but not Dante's.

blazefan519

Smash Ace

(Sakurai bows)

All this does is make me want the "leak" about assist trophies having a mode where they work like assists in other fighting games to be true.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'm just getting tired of all these 3rd Parties. I'd rather have obscure Nintendo franchises with 0 fan support get in than a new 3rd Party character.
except anything from Atlus, that can ne in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom