• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yo guys, per the request of @Mastermiine, I've made a Google Docs Questionnaire, based on my Supporter Count Thread.

Naturally, I had to pare back the number of possible responses, because having to pick 6 characters out of over 420 characters is ridiculous, so I reduced the number to about 65. >_>

You can find it here.

Fill it in if you want.
Well, that was fun. Gets hard to choose some due to too few per option, heh.

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this has been shown here already, but I'll let you all make your choices first.
Shantae (4)
Skull Kid (4)
Erdrick (2)
Gardevoir (2) [Or Gothitelle if I'm allowed a leak-inspired echo substitute]
Lloyd Irving (2) [Though I'd prefer Yuri Lowell]
Travis Touchdown (1)

I'd pretty psyched with this bit being the final revealed. Gives a nice spread too; especially since Dragonquest and No More Heroes both deserve some attention in some way, shape, or form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
It's weird to select characters when there are so few where I have an personal connection with them... I guess I would go with...

(5) Bandana Dee
(4) Crash Bandicoot
(4) Shadow
(1) Ayumi
(1) Celica

Where is Micaiah!?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Probably won't be hard to guess which one is mine ^_^
I think you're Response 64.

Also, I can tell who Response 66 is immediately. It's a certain "legendary" Moderator with a certain N64 character as their avatar.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So anything came out of that “leak” or was it bull**** as expected?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I can't go to sleep so here are some of my kooky krazy ideas about redoing parts or an entirety of a charater's moveset. I won't be going over too many because I'm tired but also not tired, but I don't want to drag on.

:ultluigi:

Luigi seems pretty cheated, not gonna lie. I know he appeared in the series before he really had his chance to shine as a unique character, but there is room for change that could definitely be used. I think his most unique move is obviously the green missile, but what else could you use outside of that? I think we all know about the Poltergust, but :ultkrool: already took that role with the Blunderbuss, which I think is his neutral special. What could you add then?

In the Mario & Luigi games, as Mario has fire, Luigi has his own element: Electricity. In Superstar Saga, he has the Thunder Hand:

All I can think of for a move using it is a chargeable, short-range electric attack that can attack and leave tons of hitstun. Or in other words, a free SJP if it hits. Not the most creative, but it's the best I can think of.

:ultmiifighters:

Holy God please yes. If Miis were only used to advertise customs, I'd call that pretty disrespectful. Miis have a lot to pull from, including their own games. They have actual skills, magic, abilities, and so much more they could pull just by using their Sports series alone. Hell, I always thought they could represent the sports/fitness category of the games before :ultwiifittrainer: was a thing. If anyone was gonna get a complete overhaul, I want the Miis to receive them. Costumes are certainly still a good idea maybe, but if they were only used to advertise customs, what happens in whenever Smash that they don't use them? Just throw them away?

I wonder if you guys got any moves you wanna change for characters

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Real talk, Kirby has some neat support characters. The only real way to scrape the bottom of the barrel (besides cases like Prince Fluff, who until further notice are only in one game) would be to ask for helpers like Knuckle Joe, who can easily fulfill AT roles.

Also, there has to be a final boss AT that's more interesting to create than Nightmare.

Also, Squeenix is currently a hassle when it comes to having much Final Fantasy content in Smash, let alone this.
From what I’ve read, square isn’t the problem. Most of final fantasy’s tracks are owned by the composer. This means square can’t license them without paying a **** ton of money to the guy. Outside of music they’ve been fine with content for cloud. It’s all he needs

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's interesting, the first question has two relatively even splits so far, between K. Rool & Ridley and Inkling & Simon.

By sheer coincidence, K. Rool's green on the pie chart. :laugh:

Also, there is, right now, a clear winner of who the best Echo Fighter is but I won't say who it is so as to not skew the results.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Not sure if this has been shown here already, but I'll let you all make your choices first.
Hector(1) It's Hector.

Celica(2) SOV was beautiful and is one of Nintendo's best examples of excellent production value IMO.

Blaziken(3) Can he be as broken in Smash as he was in Gen 6 with Speed Boost?

Karate Joe(4) I dislike the Chorus Kids while I like Karate Joe, so I'd much rather have him as the RH rep.

Cuphead(5) I love this game's music, art, design, everything really. Ideally, he'd be animated like his games and be 2D like Mr. G&W.

Funky Kong(7) His potential with a surfboard and his gadgets sounds very unique and he's by far my most favorite Kong character wise.

Elma(9) So that we'd get Uncontrollable in Smash. So that we'd get XCX soon on the Switch. So that Xenoblade grows as a franchise. Also, guns & mechs.

Gardevoir(11) Always a Pokemon that I generally liked. I skipped out on Gen 7 so I'd much rather get a popular Pokemon than a relevant Pokemon.

Rex & Pyra(15) So that we'd get Zeke's Theme in Smash. So that we'd get XC3 soon on the Switch. So that Xenoblade grows as a franchise. Also, memes.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Also, people have increasingly realised that Sakurai ignores just about everything Kirby outside of the entries he's produced.
Good thing Bandana Dee was made during the Sakurai era of Kirby, and only got very popular thanks to RTDL...so he has luck and Sakurai by his side

What if the chairs was actually hinting toward Karate Joe?
Even though this one is a tad bit old...it’s still a hint that must be taken into massive consideration
Oh, one last thing before I head to bed, Nintendo Life have set up a stage comparison vid:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._returning_stage_in_super_smash_bros_ultimate
Very beautiful Viridi design as usual...and I guess everything else is alright

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's interesting, the first question has two relatively even splits so far, between K. Rool & Ridley and Inkling & Simon.

By sheer coincidence, K. Rool's green on the pie chart. :laugh:

Also, there is, right now, a clear winner of who the best Echo Fighter is but I won't say who it is so as to not skew the results.
It's Daisy isn't it?
She's the obvious choice.
Chrom? Trash.
Dark Samus? Trash.
Richter? The most useless, trashiest character in the whole entire game.
But Daisy? Daisy is the patrician's echo fighter.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's Daisy isn't it?
She's the obvious choice.
Chrom? Trash.
Dark Samus? Trash.
Richter? The most useless, trashiest character in the whole entire game.
But Daisy? Daisy is the patrician's echo fighter.
Are you memoryman in disguise?

I see you demon.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
There's 6 open slots on the bottom when they show the stage select screen. It's safe to assume we're getting at least the 109.
Likely as DLC, there were spaces left on 3DS as well that didn't end up meaning much.
Speaking of "leaks," I really hate to bring up the stupid Gothitelle one again, but sense some people still buy it, I feel compelled to point out this inconsistency:
"Kruru" (King K Rool) and "DakuS" (Dark Samus? It was underneath regular Samus) were both listed, unsurprisingly.

View attachment 158335

In Smash 4, King K. Rool's trophy and Mii hat are both named "kingkrool" and not "kruru" and Dark Samus' assist trophy/trophy are named "darksamus."
Doesn't mean they'd code it that way every time, they could use shorthand or transliteration for characters to ease their work since they'd have to write them out more for playable characters, remember pra_mai (most believe to be Plusle & Minun transliterated & shortened) in Brawl and Marth has been coded as Mars before too.
No way in hell we would get Sora before Geno. Sorry Sora fans.
Sora isn't Square-Enix, so they aren't competing. That said, Sora is more well known then Geno.
I thought to be a 3rd party you had to be iconic and/or have close ties with Nintendo. Also Kingdom Hearts is kinda cringey not gonna lie
Kingdom Hearts has had several games on Nintendo handhelds, Chain of Memories (GBA), 358/2 Days (DS), reCoded (DS), and Dream Drop Distance (3DS). However, close ties are clearly not needed if Snake and Cloud got in.
Sora is likely the most well known Action RPG protagonist and an RPG icon, known to most gamers and just somewhat under Cloud.
The last bit is purely subjective and thus unimportant.
Says Disney and reality
The COO of Disney Japan stated he'd love Sora to be in Super Smash Bros as long as Sakurai, Nomura, and the fans wanted it.
As for the reality comment, people used to say the exact same thing about Cloud, stating it was impossible he'd ever be in Smash for many of the same points you've listed.
I don’t feel like explaining just look it up. Do you really think Sora is likely tho?
Sora is as likely as any popular 3rd Party character. In my opinion, he's one of the most likely and would likely come the closest to Cloud levels of hype (remember that Europe didn't get Super Mario RPG until the Wii so many there don't have the nostalgia & connection to Geno that NA & JP have). He'd kinda be perfect as DLC.
Cloud kinda blew the lid off of what is and isn't likely as a 3rd Party character, now the only unlikely ones are less popular characters in a series with more popular options (like Tifa to Cloud or Chun-Li to Ryu), not-so-popular 3rd Party characters, and other company's 1st/2nd party characters (excluding Banjo-Kazooie due to fan demand and Microsoft's willingness to work with Nintendo).
Any very popular 3rd Party has a fair chance.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
You guys know how everyone is saying that the chairs and pillows could be hinting Skull Kid? Well, I was watching some Smash videos on YouTube when I came across this one video (by a guy named WreckitRyan). While the chairs and pillows could very well represent Skull Kid, they could also represent Shantae, as the purple chair could represent her hair, the yellow chair represent the gold jewelry, and the pillows represent her red clothing. I just wanted to bring this up because everyone's saying it's Skull Kid but no one (that I know of) is saying that it could be Shantae.
2018-08-17.png

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Look....

I hate to burst bubbles but Shantae isn't going to be playable.

If Shovel Knight the indie gaming character and icon that is the king of crossovers can't get in playable to the biggest gaming crossover. Shantae isn't either.

And that's not to knock any of her legacy or potential, it's just as simple as that. Shovel Knight is probably the Ryu of crossovers for indie gaming and he's assist trophy status.

So how is Shantae going to get playable status? At best you can hope for an assist trophy for her as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

See, that's the problem with supposed "hints" in the background. There isn't a clear-cut interpretation for them, they can mean whatever the hell people want.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468

(5) Banjo-It's Banjo. Come on.
(8)Paper Mario- He represents a huge selection of games with Mario RPGs and has so many cool moves he could use.
(12) Skull Kid- Iconic Zelda villian and Zelda hasn't had a true newcomer since Melee. Plus I would just be interested to see how he could be implemented.
(14) Impa- Get another Zelda rep with the ease of an echo? Sure
(15) Ayumi Tachibana- Closest thing I might ever get to a Phoenix Wright rep.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I still think the Purple and Yellow chair is also referencing Colette & Symphonia(Yellow) and Sheena & Tethealla(Purple)

Noipoi

Howdy!
Look....

If Shovel Knight the indie gaming character and icon that is the king of crossovers can't get in playable to the biggest gaming crossover. Shantae isn't either.

And that's not to knock any of her legacy or potential, it's just as simple as that. Shovel Knight is probably the Ryu of crossovers for indie gaming and he's assist trophy status.

So how is Shantae going to get playable status? At best you can hope for an assist trophy for her as well.
The power of MAGIC

KMDP

Smash Legend
You guys know how everyone is saying that the chairs and pillows could be hinting Skull Kid? Well, I was watching some Smash videos on YouTube when I came across this one video (by a guy named WreckitRyan). While the chairs and pillows could very well represent Skull Kid, they could also represent Shantae, as the purple chair could represent her hair, the yellow chair represent the gold jewelry, and the pillows represent her red clothing. I just wanted to bring this up because everyone's saying it's Skull Kid but no one (that I know of) is saying that it could be Shantae. View attachment 158463
Obviously, the two chairs are hair colours: Shantae and Isaac.

The cushions are just cushions.
See, that's the problem with supposed "hints" in the background. There isn't a clear-cut interpretation for them, they can mean whatever the hell people want.
Yeah, the decoration of the office isn't as overt as the previous one. This is much more up for interpretation.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Look....

Shovel Knight is the King of Crossovers for mostly Western games. Reception to Shovel Knight was lukewarm in Japan despite being published by Nintendo there (which is likely what got him an Assist role in Smash like it got Rayman & Comm. Video trophies in Wii U, Nintendo published their last games at the time in Japan).
Japanese reception to Shantae has been more well received as a series.

I don't think she's getting in, despite that I'd love it, but fact is that Shovel Knight is only an icon in the West.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Look....

I'm not saying she is gonna be playable. I don't think she is either. I'm just trying to show what other characters the chairs could represent, since everyone's saying it's gotta be Skull Kid (which of course it doesn't). It might not even mean anything, who knows?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I won't believe anything about the chairs until I've seen a newcomer revealed who has any elements that can be tied to them.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but lord knows what they could mean if they're either not referencing Skull Kid, or nothing at all, and any "hints" they supposedly carry really are just pure coincidences.

Just don't get too ahead of yourselves on this, alright?

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Obviously, the two chairs are hair colours: Shantae and Isaac.

The cushions are just cushions.

Yeah, the decoration of the office isn't as overt as the previous one. This is much more up for interpretation.
Nah. The chairs obviously represent Wario, and it's Sakurai's way of saying Wario is gonna be top tier.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I won't believe anything about the chairs until I've seen a newcomer revealed who has any elements that can be tied to them.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but lord knows what they could mean if they're either not referencing Skull Kid, or nothing at all, and any "hints" they supposedly carry really are just pure coincidences.

Just don't get too ahead of yourselves on this, alright?
Hey, you remember my motto... :yoshi:

Only it pertains to cryptic teases instead of leaks...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Nah. The chairs obviously represent Wario, and it's Sakurai's way of saying Wario is gonna be top tier.
The chairs are referencing Wario (not just Wario, but Wario's overalls) because Captain Syrup is going to be playable.
---
Also, it occurs to me that there actually aren't just two chairs in that office. There are four.

The two obvious chairs, Yellow and Purple.
The sofa, Green.

...and the chair Sakurai is sitting in, which we can't see.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Yup I'm very serious about that. Also Sakurai has a children's book. so obviously Baby Mario is going to be in with Baby Luigi as his echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom