• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Look....

I hate to burst bubbles but Shantae isn't going to be playable.

If Shovel Knight the indie gaming character and icon that is the king of crossovers can't get in playable to the biggest gaming crossover. Shantae isn't either.

And that's not to knock any of her legacy or potential, it's just as simple as that. Shovel Knight is probably the Ryu of crossovers for indie gaming and he's assist trophy status.

So how is Shantae going to get playable status? At best you can hope for an assist trophy for her as well.
Whatever you say man. We'll see what happens.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yup I'm very serious about that. Also Sakurai has a children's book. so obviously Baby Mario is going to be in with Baby Luigi as his echo.
And then Baby Peach with Baby Daisy, it'll become the Mario Kart cycle...

Pink Gold Peach is going to be in Smash everyone :drflip:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd just like to point out that yellow and purple are complementary colors, like red and green. They just contrast eachother well and look good together. That's why those colors are everywhere. Wario and Waluigi, Tatl and Tael, Karate Joe or, you know, a pair of chairs that someone thought looked nice together.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Unless Sakurai himself says "This chair will tell you who the next Newcomer is!", I heavily doubt anyone will be confirmed through furniture.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’ve seen this mentality that because Gamexplain thinks a character is likely, other people see them as shoo-in on multiple sites...

Please don’t think this, they don’t have insider info or anything, they’re just as clueless as us... (I hope this drought ends sooner than later)

I'd just like to point out that yellow and purple are complementary colors, like red and green. They just contrast eachother well and look good together. That's why those colors are everywhere. Wario and Waluigi, Tatl and Tael, Karate Joe or, you know, a pair of chairs that someone thought looked nice together.
Problem is that they look horrendous and so out of place in that room.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’ve seen this mentality that because Gamexplain thinks a character is likely, other people see them as shoo-in on multiple sites...

Please don’t think this, they don’t have insider info or anything, they’re just as clueless as us... (I hope this drought ends sooner than later)
We could get a Direct next month to explain Nintendo's new online service, we might get a Newcomer.
But you know we'll be over that in a day.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Oh, it's been right in front of our faces this whole time. The furniture isn't telling us the next newcomer based on it's color, it's telling us based on the store it's coming from! IKEA confirmed for Smash Ultimate.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Nah. The chairs obviously represent Wario, and it's Sakurai's way of saying Wario is gonna be top tier.
Nah, it means they’re adding Wario Land Wario complete with Power Up Pot Transformation based attacks.

Truly the Ultimate Wario experience.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also, we’re better than looking at ****ing furniture for clues, like seriously, I doubt that Sakurai thought people were gonna look this far into a couple aesthetic choices he made to the background before he filmed the Direct, like no offense but at this point we’ve scratched the bottom of the barrel.

If we get Skull Kid, it’s gonna be by complete coincidence.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Problem is that they look horrendous and so out of place in that room.
Oh my god, look at his profile picture guys, you know what this means right?

I’m definitely on to something, we’re getting all of the Charmin Bears in Smash as Echo Fighters of Ganondorf.

Watch it be confirmed at the next Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd also like to point at that, even if you believe that the E3 presentation was pointing towards K.Rool, there was some actual theming going on in that room there. There isn't really any theme going on in the background of the Smash Direct, however. Unless the clue is that our next character is book-based.

Harry Potter for Smash? Maybe as an echo of Robin?

Noipoi

Howdy!
People do realize that background designs are always done with care in a professional setting right? They don't just pick a random spot and call it a day.
Maybe Sakurai just really liked the chairs?
Maybe Sakurai thought they looked nice there??
Maybe every single solitary thing Sakurai has done, is doing, and will ever do isn't a hint and we should all just chill???

Maybe every single solitary thing Sakurai has done, is doing, and will ever do isn't a hint and we should all just chill???
That's why it's called speculation because no one knows for certain. You don't nor do I. I don't understand this mentality of having to shut down people.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sakurai's been dropping at least a few hints lately. He has in the past for Sm4sh, too, IIRC.

I seriously doubt he's pulling a Gravity Falls-type move on us here but again I wouldn't really complain if he were lol

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
"But he was totally hinting at Simon and K. Rool and not because he's working so hard!
"

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet
Loz always struck me as an attention seeker. What reason did he even have to reveal the pms between him and Vergeben?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also on Voice Actors, don’t believe IMDb, just because there’s a listing online doesn’t mean someone could have edited it.

Take Shantae for example, tons of people thought she’d get in because of the infamous IMDb situation with her Voice Actress, but it turned out to be a fluke the whole time confirmed by, guess who, her own voice actress.

And then there’s the whole Celica thing which is basically the same story, short answer, don’t buy it immediately unless the character gets confirmed officially.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Made a vote on my Poll, because I'm just one of many.

I forgot to do it before I actually made it public, so I'll just be #99. If I had waited like 5 minutes I would have been #100. c'est la vie.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I will say this though; "The Great Mystery of the Two Chairs" is gonna be an interesting chapter in Smash history regardless of how it turns out.

___

On an unrelated note, I did vote on that poll of yours, KMDP KMDP . Probably won't be too hard to guess which response was mine. :p

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I seriously doubt he's pulling a Gravity Falls-type move on us here but again I wouldn't really complain if he were lol
Hold on, remember all those leaks we got a while ago that took the forms of codes and riddles?
And now all these cryptic hints, including a yellow chair?

I think I know who our next echo fighter is.

I actually got into Gravity Falls very recently and have been wanting to make this joke since, but it never felt like the right time for it. Until now.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Made a vote on my Poll, because I'm just one of many.

I forgot to do it before I actually made it public, so I'll just be #99. If I had waited like 5 minutes I would have been #100. c'est la vie.
Ya know what?
Dump Shadow.
Forget Tails.
Screw Big (I'm sorry big please forgive me NO BIG DON'T HURT ME PLEA-)
We need Eggman in Smash, just for Mike Pollock.

Last edited:

Remmy-ro

Smash Cadet
Might be a bit behind everyone else on this one, but I really like what I'm hearing about how Nintendo is reworking certain aspects of the game.

tl;dr:
  • grabs are nerfed with more endlag (excluding fighters with tether grabs) Sheiks FAF on grab is now 37, previously 28
  • spotdodges buffed (generally earlier FAF, Fox's on frame 19, previously 25)
  • backrolls nerfed; higher FAF and fewer invincibility frames
  • forward rolls largely unaffected
I think one of the biggest problems that Smash4 had was just how grab-heavy the meta was. (Oddly enough it was Bayonetta and Cloud who really challenged this). Grabs seemed to be some of the most powerful options across the board, and relatively low risk at the same time. From combo starters to kill set-ups, grabs were damn good. Now what's happening in Ultimate is 1) grabs are a higher risk option. Missing the grab is even more likely to result in being punished, and it was never difficult to punish in smash4. 2) the reward is generally lower. As reported by several players, there seem to be many less combo starters from grabs. It's less likely we'll see things like the hoo-hah as the balloon knockback will make fighters harder to catch at high percents. Moreover, kill throws aren't nearly as potent as they were in smash4. This is indicated primarily through Ness and his backthrow.

Second point I wanted to make is that particular defensive options are still very good (shield and spotdodge), but the evasive options are the ones that are taking a hit (directional airdodge, backroll). This entails that taking the aggressive option (even when in a defensive position) is encouraged. Back-roll is looking to be the worst option in several scenarios, as it not only takes the most time, but also leaves you the most open (and this is before any added lag is taken into account). Whereas remaining close to the opponent and spotdodging gives you the most time to see out a proper punish. No more grab > spotdodge > grab shenanigans.

Despite this game looking even less combo oriented than Smash4, which wasn't anything to marvel at in that respect, it seems that being in the advantage state means much more than it previously did. Much as severely aggressive players have been punished in smash4, now the severely defensive players will be as well. I believe this game will allow for many more dynamic play-styles and force more creativity from the players.
I'm very excited by this. Grabs were downright stupid in 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom