• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm starting to wonder if DLC is even gonna be a thing. We already have so much in this game, the idea that we'll get even more further down the line is kinda hard to wrap my head around, lol.

That said, I'm hoping for DLC. It's the only hope I have for newcomers like Octolings or an Arms character.

To change the subject a bit, though, how are people here feeling about the odds of a September Direct? I'm personally feeling the odds aren't too good, as most of the announcements that I figured would be saved for a Direct are just being put out in press releases lately.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hello all; I'm new, but I've been lurking and reading posts since around page 2212. Made an account so I could add input and actually discuss thigns with people since this is the least toxic forum I could find for Smash Ultimate.
Well, welcome aboard, also don't mind the leaks, we got our best plumbers on the j- Oh... oh right..

They're dead.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Hi all, new user here. Been a casual Smasher since 64, and Ultimate is looking like a dream. Smash hype is best hype.

With that all said, on the subject of leaks, I consider all leaks to be false until proven true. That way I'll never feel let down if they never end up becoming true, and leaks are essentially just glorified most wanted lists at this point, who knows. Although some of them do look enticing (Banjo & Kazooie is the closest thing I have to a "most wanted"), I disregard them until actual confirmation. As far as I know, Simon and the others were just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm starting to wonder if DLC is even gonna be a thing. We already have so much in this game, the idea that we'll get even more further down the line is kinda hard to wrap my head around, lol.

That said, I'm hoping for DLC. It's the only hope I have for newcomers like Octolings or an Arms character.

To change the subject a bit, though, how are people here feeling about the odds of a September Direct? I'm personally feeling the odds aren't too good, as most of the announcements that I figured would be saved for a Direct are just being put out in press releases lately.
Investors won't be happy with Nintendo if their biggest game of the year and likely the top 3 best selling Switch game so far and not profit off of that with DLC

D

Deleted member

Well, welcome aboard, also don't mind the leaks, we got our best plumbers on the j- Oh... oh right..

They're dead.
One of my favorite things to read when Im bored so far has been Tehponycorn's bonanza of leaks, so I actually dont mind them lol.

Actually, that reminds me... The last direct stated that there were to be 103 Stages, yeah? I took that to mean the final count, but did he just mean that 'currently' there are 103 stages? Because as it stands, there's 103 shown on the Smash Blog. If that's final, then any leak mentioning stages is immediately false since we now know all stages. If it can actually still grow, then...wow...this game really is 'Ultimate'/'Special' since that's quite the number of stages to go through.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'm sure there will be some. What I'm concerned about is if there will even be a new ballot (with the fine print not left on the Japanese site this time).

That said, I have a good feeling there will be a Direct early next month. D-day for the release is only 3 months away now, so they must keep momentum.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hi all, new user here. Been a casual Smasher since 64, and Ultimate is looking like a dream. Smash hype is best hype.

With that all said, on the subject of leaks, I consider all leaks to be false until proven true. That way I'll never feel let down if they never end up becoming true, and leaks are essentially just glorified most wanted lists at this point, who knows. Although some of them do look enticing (Banjo & Kazooie is the closest thing I have to a "most wanted"), I disregard them until actual confirmation. As far as I know, Simon and the others were just a coincidence.
Welcome aboard, yeah I think most of us have the same mentality on leaks nowadays.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
One of my favorite things to read when Im bored so far has been Tehponycorn's bonanza of leaks, so I actually dont mind them lol.

Actually, that reminds me... The last direct stated that there were to be 103 Stages, yeah? I took that to mean the final count, but did he just mean that 'currently' there are 103 stages? Because as it stands, there's 103 shown on the Smash Blog. If that's final, then any leak mentioning stages is immediately false since we now know all stages. If it can actually still grow, then...wow...this game really is 'Ultimate'/'Special' since that's quite the number of stages to go through.
We honestly don't know for sure yet, we'll have to wait and see

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I would hate to see a bunch of ugly black space in the bottom right of the stage select upon release.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Skull Kid and Mewtwo don't share similar body types tho. Echoes we know now and the only way Ganon made into Melee was because CF and Ganon have similar body types and could be made a clone.
Ah true, I was just trying to come up with a relevant example. Get the people going. I still remember that initial strange feeling of Ganondorf having CF's moves, and I wouldn't mind it again. It's fun.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I think currently there are 103 stages, there'll probably be more especially since Sakurai is a man who likes to center his select screens which is not yet done yet for his SSC.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I would hate to see a bunch of ugly black space in the bottom right of the stage select upon release.
Yeah I doubt Sakurai, Mr. "Wonky menus for the sake of aesthetics" would organize the stage select in such a way as to leave clear empty space.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Bethesda in Smash discussions? I can contribute to that!

I used to be really anti-third party. I had no clue who Snake was back in Brawl, and the only one I accepted was Sonic because of the whole rivalry in the 90s that defined dueling companies. Everyone likes to talk about other mascots, but none of them are the kinds of household names that Sonic was. Heck, the first time I heard the name "Rayman" was when the trophy was announced for Sm4sh.

Now I never thought about having Bethesda stuff in Smash since I did prefer everyone to be one a Nintendo console first. I didn't even consider Dovahkiin until the Switch announcement trailer when they announced a port of Skyrim - before that, Skyrim was a game for consoles and high-end PCs, and Nintendo was the kids' and nostalgia console that sometimes slipped and made weird choices like Bayonetta that should have been on the 'big boy' systems.

The Switch changed that. Nintendo is trying to market itself as more than 'babies and man-children' by showing that they don't just print millions of Mario party games and Pokémon, but that they can also be a gaming console for everyone. And how did they show that? Skyrim. Breath of the Wild was a phenomenon - it's not like other Zelda games or standard JRPGs...it actually feels more like a Western RPG than anything else. But it's still a Zelda game, and there are plenty of elitist gamers who consider anything Nintendo to be for kids. So what was the second game they showed off? Not Mario - it was Skyrim, which is one of the few western games to have gotten great ratings in Japan (How many games have achieved 40/40 in Famitsu, particularly western games?) and effectively shut up most people who don't think of Nintendo as a proper console maker.

That's what I consider Bethesda's contribution to Nintendo history. They use a major western developer known for massive, sprawling, lose-yourself-for-hundreds-of-hours games to show that they can do what the other consoles do...but they can do it portable as well. Remember Sony tried to make things portable with the Vita? That didn't go over too well...but the Switch is another story.

Now Bethesda's said that they intend to continue considering Nintendo as partners, and they've released several Switch ports of their games by now. But I fail to see how Bethesda is less acceptable of a company to work with than others at this point. True, most of Bethesda's games incorporate heavy violence (which is easily toned down, ask Snake) or include avatar characters without a canon appearance (but they've gotten in the habit of a uniform look for marketing, see Robin and Corrin). Bethesda's games are pretty high on the iconic scale as well. I know I'm one of the only people around who advocates for Dovahkiin, but is should mean something that loads of people on these boards haven't played it yet still recognize the look as "that dude from Skyrim" despite that being the worst armor in the game.

I can't really speak much for Blizzard, but again I know a lot about the Overwatch characters and half of their names and even some of their abilities, without even knowing anything else about the game beyond "isn't it on online FPS?" Should speak to how iconic that is.

If I had my way, I totally think Dovahkiin could fit excellently in Smash. There's only one sword/magic fighter, and Robin's abilities don't even come close to the dragon shouts that Dovahkiin'd get as specials with the possible exception of a sort of fire blast. Plus, BotW seemed to take a few cues from how Skyrim played, and then Skyrim added an update for the creation club that added temperature-based survival (like in BotW) and even had some special Zelda items in the Switch version (and added an eye color so you could make your player character Link). I'd love to see the two of them cross blades in Smash, and with all of the dragons in the cast (Corrin, Charizard, Ridley, and now the Rathalos boss), it's only be more perfect.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
As far as I know, Simon and the others were just a coincidence.
I wouldn’t call Simon/K Rool/Ridley a coincidence...everyone but Inklings weren’t too expected until Vergeben (after Daisy, echoes can go either way)
Yeah I doubt Sakurai, Mr. "Wonky menus for the sake of aesthetics" would organize the stage select in such a way as to leave clear empty space.
Only thing we can do now is think about whether or not those spaces are for new stages/retro stages/both

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
My best assumption is that we will get 3 more stage-worthy newcomers and 3 more returning stages before release. As long as none of them are Icicle Mountain or Rumble Falls, I'm cool with that.

P.S.: I'm still bitter over Mario Bros. coming back, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's been something brewing inside me for the past few days, and I really think I need to get it out now.

Leaks aren't leaks anymore, they're just lists of characters that people actually want. You don't have to back up your claims or provide essential evidence, just list the characters most people want and publish it on GameFAQs or 4chan and watch as a bunch of gullible people start making YouTube videos about it.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the last legit leak was the ESRB leak back in Smash 4, because that had screenshots, videos, and a reasonable background. Everyone else is trying to get those Etika internet points.
Underrated post, and realest thing I've read here since a while.

Leaks where undeniable now. Now everything gets called a leak. It seriously affects speculation as people seem to think they are credible for whatever reason. Some characters are seemed more likely because of it for example. People base their total expectations on them.

Vergeben and loz18 might've had some information but apperantly it's not rock solid either. Both have made flawled predictions. Take them with a grain of salt.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I mean. This place can be REALLY ****ing toxic too. I'd go in detail but I'm hoping this community has improved since the meltdown people here had about Corrin and Bayonetta. Then again a guy who got permabanned for constantly trying to **** on Chrom fans whined that his free speech rights were being violated because his alt account got banned as alt accounts aren't allowed and an admin let him back in so I should know better
lol at least it's not on a daily basis like those sites i mentioned. But yeah that sounds pretty bad, glad i missed all that, lol

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
My best assumption is that we will get 3 more stage-worthy newcomers and 3 more returning stages before release. As long as none of them are Icicle Mountain or Rumble Falls, I'm cool with that.

P.S.: I'm still bitter over Mario Bros. coming back, but that's besides the point.
Honestly, I want Rumble Falls back. It was a beautiful stage, had some epic music, and was different than the other DK stages until that point

D

Deleted member

Leaks where undeniable now. Now everything gets called a leak. It seriously affects speculation as people seem to think they are credible for whatever reason. Some characters are seemed more likely because of it for example. People base their total expectations on them.

Vergeben and loz18 might've had some information but apperantly it's not rock solid either. Both have made flawled predictions. Take them with a grain of salt.
People have always called rumors as "leaks" even if it's not the correct way to call them. This isn't gonna change when people have instead diminished the meaning of the word to rumor anyways.

Also, people should really consider leaks more, I can understand those that weren't here for Smash 4 but those were and experienced Gematsu and the ESRB Leak should know better than to discard Verg when he's had a 100% track record so far.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
People have always called rumors as "leaks" even if it's not the correct way to call them. This isn't gonna change when people have instead diminished the meaning of the word to rumor anyways.

Also, people should really consider leaks more, I can understand those that weren't here for Smash 4 but those were and experienced Gematsu and the ESRB Leak should know better than to discard Verg when he's had a 100% track record so far.
But don't you know? Those were just lucky guesses because it didn't have all the details on the final product!

Iridium

Smash Hero

Sometimes, it seems like we just don't differentiate between leaks and just "rumors". Even I have a problem doing that, and I won't lie about that.

Maybe just because "leak" is more convenient to use, we just do. I should change that, though.

Ulk

Smash Cadet
Captain Falcon had that stock moveset first.
Ganondorf copied Captain Falcon.
Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon.
That's speculation. As far as we know there are stock movesets and both these characters share the same one. One character coming before the other is no evidence for the other having copied it from that character. After all, Captain Falcon's moveset itself doesn't actually belong to Captain Falcon. It wasn't made for him.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If Sakurai himself is doing everything in his power to prevent leaks then I’ll call BS on any new leak that happens.

Even if some predict things correctly such as Simon, it’s still smart to take them with a grain of salt.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman

I agree. So many people are eager for DLC, when they should just focus on the base game and how fantastic it's shaping up to be.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I mean. This place can be REALLY ****ing toxic too. I'd go in detail but I'm hoping this community has improved since the meltdown people here had about Corrin and Bayonetta. Then again a guy who got permabanned for constantly trying to **** on Chrom fans whined that his free speech rights were being violated because his alt account got banned as alt accounts aren't allowed and an admin let him back in so I should know better
Still not much in comparison to what happens on other sites, things definitely went overboard with the reactions to Corrin and Bayo, but that's like one episode where it got really really bad, where as that **** happens on a regular basis on other sites. You're never going to have a site where no toxicity happens, it's part of being a video game fan on an online forum, but by and large I feel Smashboards is doing a fantastic job at managing it, it's at least the best forum I've come across of such size.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think we're getting a Rhythm Heaven character this time. There is so much evidence of Sakurai wanting them in Smash4: the Gematsu leak, the logo found in datamining, the Smash Run enemy.. Plus, now the Gematsu leak only has a RH rep. left to be complete since we got Chrom, who we know Sakurai actually planned in Smash 4 but scrapped eventually. And I don't know if the DK thing was intended to be a reference to Karate Joe or not.. but I think RH is coming.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Loz18 didnt get his account deleted. He just suspended it for an hour.

And seriously? WHAT LEADS DOES THIS GUY HAVE AT THIS POINT???

I seriously doubt he has any concrete info.

Nintendo.jpg

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

:hanenbow:...this is the worst
I think we're getting a Rhythm Heaven character this time. There is so much evidence of Sakurai wanting them in Smash4: the Gematsu leak, the logo found in datamining, the Smash Run enemy.. Plus, now the Gematsu leak only has a RH rep. left to be complete since we got Chrom, who we know Sakurai actually planned in Smash 4 but scrapped eventually. And I don't know if the DK thing was intended to be a reference to Karate Joe or not.. but I think RH is coming.
Only means even more hints at a RH rep, Skull Kid, Issac, and anyone else who’s been referenced

Iridium

Smash Hero
Who else here wants Poké Floats? I never had the chance to play Melee (I do watch it, though), so I never really played on that stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom