• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I agree on the notion that everyone shouldn't be springing for the "Hey, if this doesn't make it into the base game, it can always be DLC!" philosophy. The base game is already Space jam-packed with content to the point where I seriously doubt Sakurai would want to work even more than he already is towards initial release only to immediately start back up again, unless it's for more Echo Fighters and not much else. People should really be counting their blessings more often. And God help us if the character/stage select gets even bigger.

Untouch

Smash Master
Wonderful, loz just gave credence to anyone pretending to be him. Expect to see a lot of """leaks""" pop up soon claiming to be one of his accounts.

D

Deleted member

Regardless if he has any real info or not, he's definitely kept things interesting and entertaining while we wait for the next Direct, lol.

He also seems pretty chill and just as excited for the game as we are, so I think his posts are pretty fun to read. Who knows, maybe he is on to something with Skull Kid. I've pretty much opted to wait and see with all these leaks, TBH; it's just too much for me to keep up with. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
For a leaker, he’s awfully vague...
Listen, I'll be the optimistic view on this for now.

Loz18 has gotten things right in the past, a lot of things. He also got 1 or 2 things wrong in the last direct, but not enough to discredit him. He then makes 2 statements:

1. Hes 80% sure Skull Kid is a playable character in the game

2. He states the next big smash direct (not a Nintendo direct with smash info, we could have that earlier) is in November.

His 12 year old GF account gets nuked and he PMs someone he's moving to Twitter under a similar name.

Everything so far has been casual until he made mention of possibly figuring out Isaac was in the game like 2 hours ago, but has since deleted that tweet and suspended his account for an hour.

Now, he's come back saying he posted some info somewhere. IF he's telling the truth and IF Nintendo was onto him, he has an actually reason for doing this:

It makes it very hard to figure out if a potential leak would come from Loz. Just keep an eye out for any Isaac rumors out there.

Again, this is me being positive, I honestly don't believe him but I just wanted to make the statement so people can be positive about it too

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, I'm gonna be honest with ya'll, I'm actually Loz's secret account and I'm here to leak Smash and kick some ass and I'm all out of ass.
These are the remaining newcomers Nintendo has been hinting at:
-Isaac
-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Darth Vader
-Running Man
-Tony the Tiger
-Yogi Bear
-Daisy Ridley(Echo of Daisy and Ridley, obviously)
-Dark Metal Pit(Echo of Captain Falcon, obviously)
We've gone full Ready Player One now, everyone.
The Iron Giant confirmed?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
People don't believe Loz but believe that stupid gardevior leak." B-but the leak g-got Richter!! Gardevior has to b-be in!"

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I'm gonna be honest with ya'll, I'm actually Loz's secret account and I'm here to leak Smash and kick some *** and I'm all out of ***.
-Isaac
-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Darth Vader
-Running Man
-Tony the Tiger
-Yogi Bear

The Iron Giant confirmed?
Tony the Tiger, from cereal? Yes, please?

Don't forget Home Depot and some random civilian from New Donk City!

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Hello, going to be a long first post but I had to just make an account to I guess make the case for why I think Banjo-Kazooie is not a certainty, but a likely newcomer (For the record Geno fans overestimate their chances, they're in the same licensing red tape boat). I've just about seen and heard every argument for and against BK and I wouldn't even be posting about it, let alone looking at Smash Boards if there wasn't at least a chance. For the first time in well over a decade, there is.

Its probably best start at the beginning, when Melee was in development and due to the high popularity of Banjo-Kazooie, both in the West & Japan, Sakurai did consider them in Smash 64 but left it until Melee to add them unfortunately this was cut due to as Sakurai says 'adult issues' meaning the legal kind, soon after was the Microsoft buyout of Rare and the rest is history from that point. First point being, if Sakurai is going back and bringing all the things he possibly could from past cut games, namely Banjo-Kazooie and Geno from Brawls development, these are the most notable exclusions from the series. Sakurai's interest may have changed in those years, so who knows maybe he feels differently about the bear and bird. But theres evidence of personal interest on his part.

Throughout Smash's history the same names have always been requested, and Banjo-Kazooie easily sits in the top 5-10 on any poll period, (and theres about 5 other polls from different times betweeen 2015-2018 I can show) difference being between Brawl end of Smash 4, Banjo-Kazooie fans were quietly hoping something could even so much as hint that they could be in the game, but under a seemingly impossible Microsoft banner, it would be impossible.

Flash forward to post Smash 4 for the first time ever Phil Spencer tweets in 2015 about his enthusiasm for getting Banjo into Smash 4's DLC and I believe before Ultimates roster was finalised. What does he mean by the ease of licensing the Rare IP? Well you have the notorious DK64 to Virtual Console which contained a full game of Jetpac inside the game which was a big licensing deal at the time, then you've got Diddy Kong Racing DS port, and the GBA Banjo-Kazooie games (Banjo Pilot & Gruntildas Revenge). People perceive Microsoft as a staunchly fierce competitor-- (hardly these days as Nintendo is fully handheld & Microsoft is merging the console with the PC market)-- who would be even more difficult than Square-Enix to deal with. A decade long history tells otherwise, especially with the Rare IPs, Microsoft is fully aware with how little they use them and have no issue with licensing them out for what I can only imagine are small fees considering their worth. This is not on the same level as licensing out Pac-Man or Cloud, or Ryu or any other big relevant franchises.

On the topic of relevancy, it doesn't matter. People use this argument all the time and it drives me nuts, a good portion of Smashs roster hasn't had games in decades, and K.Rool is the latest example, he's never shown up in anything DK related for 10 years, but I digress.

People seem to claim that 'suits would get in the way of any deal', not so much on Microsofts end. Phil Spencer is head of the gaming division, there's nobody high up who can stop that call from him. It would all come down to Nintendos call at that point and working out an agreement, which as previously stated shouldn't be a problem considering the history of past deals. How would such a deal work with Microsoft? I have a theory; Microsoft needs to build trust back in their Rare IPs, they've been squandering them for 10+ years and nothings been done about it, enter Phil Spencer, he's been highly interested in engaging with Microsofts exclusives upon his promotion and in that time we've seen the Rare Replay, Killer Instinct, a Battletoads reboot announced this year, and a host of merchandise and collectables lined up for Banjo-Kazooie's 20th anniversary (Contrast to the 15th anniversary where they did nothing). Its also worth noting they've gone back from the Nuts & Bolts designs to the classic designs.

Steps are in place to regain trust back into old fans, but what about new fans? Enter the Smash deal. The BK license is arguably at its lowest worth since 2008, Microsoft approaches Nintendo looking for both representation for their IP, gaining good will and getting a free advertisement/celebration of Banjo on Nintendos behalf, thus springboarding off this and gaining the trust of old fans and gaining new fans. Smash is notorious for exposing franchises to people who missed out on their games, Fire Emblem wouldn't be as popular in the west if it weren't for Smashs exposure.

Which is why I think, if Phil's a smart man, and to be in his position you'd have to be, he's been planning this maybe even before 2015 but certainly since then. The relationship between MS & Nintendo, the anniversary, the merchandise, the reverting to old designs, its all coordinated to me, in the hopes that Phil can garner a deal to revive a dead IP by licensing it out to Smash for virtually peanuts, costing Nintendo little, generating massive Smash hype and both companies come out looking good in the eyes of fans with potentially a new market created via the exposure for old fans and new for Microsoft to MAYBE make a new game out of.

And how about that Minecraft crossplay? The latest in the new deal between the companies has seen MS shares its famous properties with Minecraft skins, including Banjo-Kazooie. And with the DasVergeben original leak claiming SOME form of Minecraft rep is in Smash, that bolsters the chances of BK being in the base game tenfold, and enforces my theory that Phil's been planning this for a few years. I imagine part of the deal being that Microsoft would happily give Nintendo the BK license for cheap, if Minecraft is somehow included to generate interest for younger fans. Nintendo wouldn't be opposed to this, Minecraft is a core to the Switch library. Now somewhere in these talks I imagine would be discussions of the N64 mini which we've heard nothing about, a good chunk of the best selling library are Rare games and this would probably where the discussions get murky but it brings Nintendo to the table to make a deal with MS in the first place and Nintendo needs it more than MS does, so the Smash deal and the N64 mini deal are deals that go both ways in favour of both companies.

"but what about the 2018 tweet, doesn't that violate NDA!?" - no, not at all. Phil cherry picked this question to that image to give his answer which confirms or denies nothing, it is simply to the question "is he still willing?" Being under an NDA myself, this violates nothing, its not a clear cut question or an answer. Phil's a smart guy, he gets asked this question everyday. I'm sure he picks the questions he answers carefully for such a delicate matter as Smash.

At the end of the day is it a 50/50? Yes. But its more likely than it ever was before, and that puts them in the running just as equally as Geno in my mind or any other third party character. It's Nintendos call, and if they came to the table as early as 2015. My hunch says maybe.

Anyway sorry for the long post, I had to get this out of my system because I feel, personally, after waiting 10 plus years and nothing happening, that this is the best chance they've had ever. I'm 100% positive they'd be DLC, but the base game is where I fall back to 50/50.
I saw this really good analysis of Banjo and Kazooie over on their support thread. Whether you agree or not, it’s a pretty good read imo

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
People don't believe Loz but believe that stupid gardevior leak." B-but the leak g-got Richter!! Gardevior has to b-be in!"
This… so much this.

Also I think we've ran out of leakers to count on. Verg is apparently gone, no activity whatsoever regarding smash, and loz18 is literally just doing more and more stuff against his own credibility. I think we are left with just waiting at this point or some sudden new leaker appears one day guys.

D

Deleted member

Oh ****, my sources have just confirmed the Iron Giant is indeed a newcomer. Apparently, Sakurai is introducing "big fighters" in a separate mode. Other Big Fighters include Bigley, Bane, My Meat and Wailord
Tony the Tiger, from cereal? Yes, please?

Don't forget Home Depot and some random civilian from New Donk City!
Home Depot is unfortunately an Assist Trophy accodring to my sources. Civilian is only a background element in New Donk City, they're disconfirmed.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Hey guys, I'm gonna be honest with ya'll, I'm actually Loz's secret account and I'm here to leak Smash and kick some *** and I'm all out of ***.
-Isaac
-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Darth Vader
-Running Man
-Tony the Tiger
-Yogi Bear
Tony the Tiger Digs In!
Heck yeah, I'm officially down.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Oh ****, my sources have just confirmed the Iron Giant is indeed a newcomer. Apparently, Sakurai is introducing "big fighters" in a separate mode. Other Big Fighters include Bigley, Bane, My Meat and Wailord

Home Depot is unfortunately an Assist Trophy accodring to my sources. Civilian is only a background element in New Donk City, they're disconfirmed.
Give us Bassist from the New Donk stage.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Didn't loz18 say that he agreed with Nintendo on privacy and that he wouldn't leak anymore characters?

D

Deleted member

I agree on the notion that everyone shouldn't be springing for the "Hey, if this doesn't make it into the base game, it can always be DLC!" philosophy. The base game is already Space jam-packed with content to the point where I seriously doubt Sakurai would want to work even more than he already is towards initial release only to immediately start back up again, unless it's for more Echo Fighters and not much else. People should really be counting their blessings more often. And God help us if the character/stage select gets even bigger.
Yeah, I agree. This game is just filled to the brim with content that was very evidently made with a lot of love and care for each franchise it pulls from. I'm starting to get to a point where I'm like "What more could they even do?"

For me personally, every character that I felt was missing is pretty much here now. The only odd omissions for me at this point are characters like Dixie and Bandana Dee, but who knows, they could still make it. We don't know the full roster yet, after all. ;)

To be honest, I only want DLC because I'm convinced it's the only hope Octolings have. I'm not gonna be too bummed if they don't make it, however, mainly because Splatoon already has quite a bit going for it in this game:

- Inklings themselves being playable
- An iconic stage with references from both Splatoon 1 and 2 in it
- Squid Sisters AT
- 23 pieces of music with some of those being completely new remixes
- More than likely ample amounts of trophies and other nods to the games

Octolings would be a cherry on top thing for me, but to be honest, I won't be too downcast if they don't make it in. This game has already done 10 times the amount more for me personally than Smash Wii U and 3DS ever did, so yeah, I'm pretty happy and thankful where we are right now. I just hope other people can get their most wanted characters in too so they can be just as happy as I am right now. :)

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Hi guyz. My namez is Loz1883245544838309839089345984905893489490384840935, and i have informaion on this Top Secret character from smash bros.

Electroplanton.

That's it for newcomers.

Also, Here's the echo fighters

Waluigi (Echo of Wario)
Waluigi (Echo of bowser.)
Waluigi (Echo of olimar)
And Waluigi ( Echo of Waluigi.)

Smash is the king of variety.

Loz62612492138947389472377420374284237489 signing out.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I see more new users as I read through the posts here and I love it!!!! Keep on coming!!!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Okay so speaking of Villains...I think we might as well take note of the roster:

64: DK (can be debatable)

Melee: Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo

Brawl: Meta-Knight (debatable), Wario, King Redete (debatable), Wolf - this game seems more "rivals" than "villains"

Wii U/3DS: Bowser Jr and Koopalings, Dark Pit

Ultimate: Ridley, King K Rool, Dark Samus

osby

Smash Obsessed

Wailord? Yes! Now I only need Skitty for perfect Pokémon roster.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
If Tony the Tiger makes the grade, at least also confirm that we'll be able to import our own custom fighters from MUGEN. In that case, I might need to go out and buy myself a 32GB microSD!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay so speaking of Villains...I think we might as well take note of the roster:

Brawl: Meta-Knight (debatable), Wario, King Redete (debatable), Wolf - this game seems more "rivals" than "villains"

Dark Pit is really a rival than anything and even that's debatable at the end.

D

Deleted member

Just call them antagonists so we don't have to go over semantics for christ's sake
Hi guyz. My namez is Loz1883245544838309839089345984905893489490384840935, and i have informaion on this Top Secret character from smash bros.

Electroplanton.

That's it for newcomers.

Also, Here's the echo fighters

Waluigi (Echo of Wario)
Waluigi (Echo of bowser.)
Waluigi (Echo of olimar)
And Waluigi ( Echo of Waluigi.)

Smash is the king of variety.

Loz62612492138947389472377420374284237489 signing out.
Guys, don't believe him! I'm the real Loz1648274918481747174817475920682619401758 and Waluigi is actually an Echo of Dark Pit

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Jeez I feel like not trusting anymore info on Loz and Verge until I see the Directs for myself. Something doesn't feel right with the whole thing lately

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That's a super fun "chaos" stage though
As a young lad, I couldn’t figure out what was or wasn’t a platform to fight on...such bad Smash memories

Dark Pit is only an ally/rival, nowhere near villain...take Spanish Edgy Pit out...maybe Mewtwo aswell but idk

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Just call them antagonists so we don't have to go over semantics for christ's sake

Guys, don't believe him! I'm the real Loz1648274918481747174817475920682619401758 and Waluigi is actually an Echo of Dark Pit
Guys, don't believe the other me. I'm quite the syhpicated leaker, and i would doubt nintendo would do that.

oh....wait....my informant has just told me that i was wrong, and that an orginal smash character is being made, called Keyboard fighter.

Quote me on this guys.

please believe me.

Edit: i love this thread lmao.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom