• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Latin american do refer to them in masculine though
Yup, I'm Puertorican, so it's weird hearing it that way after practically using "el" pronouns for consoles daily.

reason why you're playing this series to begin with
The characters, hands down. I would've never played "Dragon King" as much as Smash, not even close. If Smash 4 took Wolf and IC without introducing Shulk and Robin/Lucina I would've never spent as much time with it as I have. I might've even skipped the Wii U version.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If I may say, we do believe that there will be a Direct next month mainly for the online service thing, right? The question is, what day do you think that Direct will possibly happen?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do people have examples of people going "Who is this character" or "who asked for this" on character reveals recently? People talk about 'em and I never see 'em pop up on my end.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don't think I'll ever understand why mewtwo got the shaft so hard in the smash Bros series. I guess he was originally planned for brawl but had to be cut, but what possible explanation could they have for him not to be in the base roster in 4?
Introduction of DLC

People will buy Mewtwo because he's been long waited to return to the game. Same reason for Lucas and Roy being vets

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wonder how many characters will be featured that we didn't see from the E-3 build
Well, we probably will get one of the recent newcomers added, and nothing new. Either way, they definitely are not showing the whole roster. I doubt we will get too much of a change, honestly.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
The one thing I don’t understand about the Smash community is how selfish people can be. I hate Shadow. With a passion. But I’m fine with him being a character becuase that means another group of Smash fans would be happy. To me, it’s just as worth it to see other people happy than to myself happy. Just be glad for someone else whose favorite character got a chance. I’ve never played Golden Sun, Banjo and Kazooie, or Super Mario RPG. I was either non-existent or a toddler when those games were popular. Yet for some reason my most wanted characters are Isaac, Banjo, and Geno. And the only reason is because I want to see my friends, family, and the Smash community happy. I’m not trying to toot my own horn, but I feel like if everyone was a little more selfless we’d all get along better.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If I may say, we do believe that there will be a Direct next month for the online service thing, right? The question is, what day do you think that Direct will possibly happen?
I’m not sure that the direct will be for the online service only, but I do think we’ll get a general Direct in mid-September.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I’m not sure that the direct will be for the online service only, but I do think we’ll get a general Direct in mid-September.
I didn't really mean to imply that. I meant mainly about the online service. There will be other things as well, undoubtedly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The one thing I don’t understand about the Smash community is how selfish people can be. I hate Shadow. With a passion. But I’m fine with him being a character becuase that means another group of Smash fans would be happy. To me, it’s just as worth it to see other people happy than to myself happy. Just be glad for someone else whose favorite character got a chance. I’ve never played Golden Sun, Banjo and Kazooie, or Super Mario RPG. I was either non-existent or a toddler when those games were popular. Yet for some reason my most wanted characters are Isaac, Banjo, and Geno. And the only reason is because I want to see my friends, family, and the Smash community happy. I’m not trying to toot my own horn, but I feel like if everyone was a little more selfless we’d all get along better.
The reality is not everyone is willing to accept other people getting what they want compared to them.

Of course, it doesn't mean they should be happy with a roster that doesn't have what they prefer. That's fine. I mean, we all have different opinions and all.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't think I'll ever understand why mewtwo got the shaft so hard in the smash Bros series. I guess he was originally planned for brawl but had to be cut, but what possible explanation could they have for him not to be in the base roster in 4?
I think Sakurai said in an interview that it was because they didn't have a complete character to port over from Brawl to build off of. Because of that, they would of had to remake him from the ground up, so he was harder to develop for than other veterans.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Hope you like it!

How do you even say her name?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I don't know about you guys, but i think Feraligatr and Krookodile would be excellent echoes for King K. Rool. :troll:
Yeah, imagine Escavalier being a :ultlink: echo too! :troll:

In all seriousness, no gut attacks on either of those two. I just can't see it. The Chrom treatment though . . .

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't know about you guys, but i think Feraligatr and Krookodile would be excellent echoes for King K. Rool. :troll:
Well it wouldn't be out of character for a Dark type pokemon to bring in weapons. It could work... maybe?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Krookodile throwing his sunglasses confirmed

Gen V Pokemon confirmed

King K Rool echo confirmed

What a time to be alive

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm of the opinion that it's better not to "expect" anything. Not necessarily in the way of "lmao Sakurai is unpredictable, he's going to add a bunch of wacky characters!", but rather that we cannot pretend we know how the team chooses what characters to incorporate.

Before Ultimate's official E3 reveal, and even after it, I was convinced I knew what we'd be seeing, characters with prominent games on the Wii U, such as Elma, Captain Toad, and so forth, just like how 3DS / Wii U's roster focused on the Wii era (with a little bit of 3DS thrown in too). I expected the majority (if not all) of Wii U's roster to return, alongside Ice Climbers and MAYBE Wolf and Snake. I know I wasn't alone in that thought process.

We, as a community, tend to get stuck on an idea and then stick to it until it's proven or disproven. If it's proven, we brag about how we "guessed right" and use that as an example to push other concepts. If disproven, we either throw a fit that they'd introduce / ignore our option, or use it, again, as leverage to push other concepts.

My point, in my tired, caffeine-powered ramblings above, is that I think it's for the better that people show support for characters they want rather than attempt to predict the design ideologies of multiple different developers (because, no, while Sakurai works much harder than he needs to on this game and very well deserves some applause for the effort he puts into the series, he is not the only person dedicated to making this game the best it can be and the majority of the effort put in goes thankless or is credited to Sakurai).

Think about it. Ignoring rumors and leaks, the only addition I think could argued to be a lock would be Inklings, because of course they'd be in, they're Nintendo's big new IP that's taking the world by storm.
  • While people were fairly positive Ice Climbers would come back, and to an extent Wolf, you cannot tell me anyone expected every single character, including Pokemon Trainer, Young Link, and Pichu, to return.
  • Snake, despite being popular, had everyone thinking a big nope because Konami's evil or something.
  • Ridley, a popular choice who was discounted by the team for 3DS / Wii U due to balancing / "too big", was then discounted by most fans because of that stance.
  • Look me in the eyes and tell me, before E3, that people would be OK with multiple new clones with minimal differences. That people wouldn't throw fits over Chrom, Dark Samus, or Daisy, all being complete clones like Lucina or Dark Pit.
  • Before Verge leaked Ridley and Simon, everyone had their eyes on Bomberman big time, as he was "the likeliest" second Konami character, assuming Konami even wanted to play nice. Don't forget Richter as a clone, something so unexpected even after the leak.
  • King K. Rool. Just... King K. Rool. He is, by all means, a dead character. He hasn't had a prominent role in the DK series since Jungle Climber (a spin-off, nonetheless) on the DS in 2007 well before Brawl released. The only other appearance beyond trophies in Smash was as part of an ensemble of unlockable characters in a Mario sports game a year later. OVER TEN YEARS since he's been even slightly relevant. The only thing keeping him alive was Smash fans wanting him, and DK fans hoping for his return in some form. It's not like K. Rool is a prominent retro character like Duck Hunt or Pit that the team digs up from a pile of Famicom games and decides to revamp for fun, he's a character who Nintendo felt no need to push. He was added simply because he was so highly requested. Nobody can honestly tell me "well I expected K. Rool and you're just overgeneralizing" because there was literally no precedent or alternate reason to add K. Rool to Ultimate beyond fan support, and we all know that.
I think it's pointless to put so much faith into predictions for Smash, especially when it's just surface-level speculation without any thought put into the actual development of a game. I think it's much better to use outlets like social media, art, music, videos, essays, and so on to support a character rather than things like "well, due to sales, relevance during development time, and balance between franchise representation and a potentially unique moveset (nothing annoys me more than saying a character could be unique without actually showing how), I can say for certain we'll see this character otherwise I'll sacrifice my pet cat".

Where was I going with this again?

Oh yeah, congrats Opossum Opossum on getting your chance this time! :ultchrom:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm of the opinion that it's better not to "expect" anything. Not necessarily in the way of "lmao Sakurai is unpredictable, he's going to add a bunch of wacky characters!", but rather that we cannot pretend we know how the team chooses what characters to incorporate.

Before Ultimate's official E3 reveal, and even after it, I was convinced I knew what we'd be seeing, characters with prominent games on the Wii U, such as Elma, Captain Toad, and so forth, just like how 3DS / Wii U's roster focused on the Wii era (with a little bit of 3DS thrown in too). I expected the majority (if not all) of Wii U's roster to return, alongside Ice Climbers and MAYBE Wolf and Snake. I know I wasn't alone in that thought process.

We, as a community, tend to get stuck on an idea and then stick to it until it's proven or disproven. If it's proven, we brag about how we "guessed right" and use that as an example to push other concepts. If disproven, we either throw a fit that they'd introduce / ignore our option, or use it, again, as leverage to push other concepts.

My point, in my tired, caffeine-powered ramblings above, is that I think it's for the better that people show support for characters they want rather than attempt to predict the design ideologies of multiple different developers (because, no, while Sakurai works much harder than he needs to on this game and very well deserves some applause for the effort he puts into the series, he is not the only person dedicated to making this game the best it can be and the majority of the effort put in goes thankless or is credited to Sakurai).

Think about it. Ignoring rumors and leaks, the only addition I think could argued to be a lock would be Inklings, because of course they'd be in, they're Nintendo's big new IP that's taking the world by storm.
  • While people were fairly positive Ice Climbers would come back, and to an extent Wolf, you cannot tell me anyone expected every single character, including Pokemon Trainer, Young Link, and Pichu, to return.
  • Snake, despite being popular, had everyone thinking a big nope because Konami's evil or something.
  • Ridley, a popular choice who was discounted by the team for 3DS / Wii U due to balancing / "too big", was then discounted by most fans because of that stance.
  • Look me in the eyes and tell me, before E3, that people would be OK with multiple new clones with minimal differences. That people wouldn't throw fits over Chrom, Dark Samus, or Daisy, all being complete clones like Lucina or Dark Pit.
  • Before Verge leaked Ridley and Simon, everyone had their eyes on Bomberman big time, as he was "the likeliest" second Konami character, assuming Konami even wanted to play nice. Don't forget Richter as a clone, something so unexpected even after the leak.
  • King K. Rool. Just... King K. Rool. He is, by all means, a dead character. He hasn't had a prominent role in the DK series since Jungle Climber (a spin-off, nonetheless) on the DS in 2007 well before Brawl released. The only other appearance beyond trophies in Smash was as part of an ensemble of unlockable characters in a Mario sports game a year later. OVER TEN YEARS since he's been even slightly relevant. The only thing keeping him alive was Smash fans wanting him, and DK fans hoping for his return in some form. It's not like K. Rool is a prominent retro character like Duck Hunt or Pit that the team digs up from a pile of Famicom games and decides to revamp for fun, he's a character who Nintendo felt no need to push. He was added simply because he was so highly requested. Nobody can honestly tell me "well I expected K. Rool and you're just overgeneralizing" because there was literally no precedent or alternate reason to add K. Rool to Ultimate beyond fan support, and we all know that.
I think it's pointless to put so much faith into predictions for Smash, especially when it's just surface-level speculation without any thought put into the actual development of a game. I think it's much better to use outlets like social media, art, music, videos, essays, and so on to support a character rather than things like "well, due to sales, relevance during development time, and balance between franchise representation and a potentially unique moveset (nothing annoys me more than saying a character could be unique without actually showing how), I can say for certain we'll see this character otherwise I'll sacrifice my pet cat".

If I'm going to be honest, having "safe bets" on who will get in is an annoying thing to see, but I also find amusement at the grieving when no reveal is made. It's like I'm sadistic . . .

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
As far as Brawl speculation, people were a lot more confident of the shoo-ins then they are with Ultimate. Everyone was certain that Ike, Diddy, Dedede, Olimar, and Lucario would get in, and in the cases of Ike, Diddy, and Dedede, were pretty darn close on their playstyles and movesets. Pokemon Trainer was a hell of screwball, and Sonic and Ridley were easily the most debated characters. People were also a lot more vocal about one-shot characters like Rundas and Midna.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Frankly I'm doubtful Sakurai pays close attention to any polls sent his way, given he must be inundated with so many. At the least, I doubt any single unofficial one sways his opinion to any great extent. But it's possible, though it's certainly not recent at this point.
Personally, I believes he pays extra attention to polls, even in the lower rankings.

This is mostly a theory of mine, but I believe the reason that Takamaru and Prince Sable became Assist Trophies in Smash 4 was because they were present in the rankings of the VGTribune poll.

http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-quarterfinals/

Prince Sable managed to rank with 1692 votes and Takamaru ranked with 2191 votes. Even though they did not get past the first round of the VGTribune poll, I feel Sakurai paid close enough attention to every bit of the poll result to consider having them appear in some form due the West knowing about and wanting these characters. Had this poll not existed, I don't think we would have saw these characters as Assist Trophies at all. Without the poll, I do not think Sakurai would have emphasized the point of Skull Kid being an Assist Trophy long time ago in a Miiverse post. Sakurai might have been slightly more doubtful about adding Little Mac, and could have would have chosen another retro on his own accord had this Western poll not existed.

When it comes to the ballot results and how it will influence Ultimate newcomer decisions, I am sure it will be overwhelming for Sakurai, but I am pretty firm that he will looked at the ballot results at every angle and take note of every character that was highly requested from Smash 64 to beyond to make the best assessment of which newcomers should be added to this game to appeal to larger number of fans.

It's definitely at odds with what I remember. In fact I totally forgot before than even Vaati was part of the whole Zelda split back then. I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but it doesn't sound accurate to me. Skull Kid had popularity, but it was never uncontested.
I got the feeling that he was very popular when I discovered a few of these things about Skull Kid:

-Multiple Brawl mods of the character were made for Skull Kid.
-Smash fan renders were made for the character.

I have seen similar treatment to characters like Geno and Sora, and it made me think the support was huge and passionate. Granted, this is not convincing enough to really show Skull Kid's popularity, but I am just showing you how I concluded this way of thinking with Skull Kid. :p

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
More like Pichu, Jigglypuff, Roy.

But look, I don't have a problem with any character. And I'm happy when someone new gets a chance to be in Smash. But I also feel like the more you prioritize the old, the harder it is for newcomers to make the cut. I don't want cuts because I dislike the character or because I think they don't "deserve" to be there. I just want as many Nintendo characters as possible to get a chance in the spotlight.

Look at my avatar. That character Barbara has no chance in hell. I would go crazy with joy if she by some miracle made it into Smash. But at the same time I'd be perfectly okay with her getting cut in the next game if it meant that someone else's favorite character could get in. Just the fact that Barbara made it into even one game is good enough for me.

I'm strange like that but my love for Nintendo characters is so strong that I just want everyone to get a turn in the spotlight. But that means some people who had their turn have to leave.

Honestly, i think people underestimate the value of having your character be an assist trophy, and even an trophy. Like, Being a trophy is at least SOME FORM OF REPRESENTATION.
I honest expect nothing but a ported Golden Sun music track at this point. My expectations are that low.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
As far as Brawl speculation, people were a lot more confident of the shoo-ins then they are with Ultimate. Everyone was certain that Ike, Diddy, Dedede, Olimar, and Lucario would get in, and in the cases of Ike, Diddy, and Dedede, were pretty darn close on their playstyles and movesets. Pokemon Trainer was a hell of screwball, and Sonic and Ridley were easily the most debated characters. People were also a lot more vocal about one-shot characters like Rundas and Midna.
Who were considered “Shoo-in” characters back in the day that didn’t make it?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Lucario was certain? That surprised me since I never supported him until that leak of him came out because I wasn't sure he would make it and thought Blaziken or Sceptile had a better chance

Then the horrors of listening to Mewtwo was cut by Lucario comments that got nowhere

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
There are really only two things I would be disappointed by in Smash if they happened, either a non-Echo Isabelle gets added or a Fire Emblem character that isn’t Lyn wouldn’t make me upset, just disappointed.

Otherwise everything is fair game to me.
You'd be disappointed if Isabelle got in a unique fighter?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You guys might want to read this

https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/

It's some interview on how k rool got in smash ultimate

Let's just say Nintendo is feeling guilty they didn't bring back k rool for over 10 years and had no idea how popular he was

And.....

The....mii costume.... of k rool was indeed a constellation prize in smash 4

So it's offical the costume theory and the ballot was used for smash ultimate newcomers is...

Confirmed

So characters like geno, Isaac, and Lloyd gain a whole lot of ground for spot in smash bros,ultimate

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/0...haracters-they-would-want-in-super-smash-bros

If this has been discussed here, simply tell me and don't make a big deal. Anyway, I think we're all aware of Pyra Pyra notifying us about Nintendo playing Diablo III with a Skull Kid figurine.

The company Blizzard themselves seem to have interest on who they would like to see in Smash. I know this is unlikely, you don't have to remind me, but what do you all think?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Let's just say Nintendo is feeling guilty they didn't bring back k rool for over 10 years and had no idea how popular he was

And.....

So it's offical the costume theory and the ballot was used for smash ultimate newcomers is...

Confirmed
BOOM
TOLD YA'LLL

*Shakes the hands of the like-minded*

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

And.....

Confirmed

So characters like geno, Isaac, and Lloyd gain a whole lot of ground for spot in smash bros,ultimate
We don't know if this source is credible, but it's interesting nonetheless.

kylexv

Smash Master

And.....

Confirmed

This pretty much confirms what people have been suspecting about the ballot.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

For me, predicting is still a lot of fun, and I do not see it as pointless. I love assembling things together that could lead to a newcomer's addition in Smash.

Speculating helps me improve a lot writing-wise and analysis-wise.

Support is fine and all, but it does not spark my brain with enjoyment more than speculation. Predicting is still an important part of Smash to me that made me grow into the hardcore and kinder in-depth writer/speculator I am today. Smash speculation improved me as a person. :p

Last edited:

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Who were considered “Shoo-in” characters back in the day that didn’t make it?
Ridley, certainly. Geno had a legion prepared to die on their swords for him, worse than now in some ways. K. Rool was up there, as was Bowser Jr. (The Heroes vs Villains thing was passed around a lot.) One new Zelda character was thought to be certain. Mewtwo returning was something people were very confident of.

Lucario was certain? That surprised me since I never supported him until that leak of him came out because I wasn't sure he would make it and thought Blaziken or Sceptile had a better chance

Then the horrors of listening to Mewtwo was cut by Lucario comments that got nowhere
The Lucario vs. Mewtwo debate started with Aura Sphere vs Shadow Ball, and only got worse once Lucario was confirmed. If you want a case of two groups of supporters at each other's throats, I don't know if there was a better one. But I would say yes, people were very confident Pokemon would pick up a Gen 4 rep, and Lucario was huge at the time. The gen 3 debate was there, but again, IMO, people were more certain they would go straight to 4.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Actually I picked Zelda because it's my favorite series. Believe me if it was Yoshi I'd have NO trouble overrepresenting him :yoshi:
It's so hard for me to think that when I look at your signature . . .

Nothing against you, for Zelda is my favorite too! Pokémon comes close.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Ridley, certainly. Geno had a legion prepared to die on their swords for him, worse than now in some ways. K. Rool was up there, as was Bowser Jr. (The Heroes vs Villains thing was passed around a lot.) One new Zelda character was thought to be certain. Mewtwo returning was something people were very confident of.

The Lucario vs. Mewtwo debate started with Aura Sphere vs Shadow Ball, and only got worse once Lucario was confirmed. If you want a case of two groups of supporters at each other's throats, I don't know if there was a better one. But I would say yes, people were very confident Pokemon would pick up a Gen 4 rep, and Lucario was huge at the time. The gen 3 debate was there, but again, IMO, people were more certain they would go straight to 4.
Lucario vs Mewtwo and Roy vs Ike were two of the dumbest things I've seen this place argue about for 6 years

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Also, people were shocked we didn't get Villager or Tom Nook. Absolutely shocked.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
We can only speculate on why, but I think it's pretty certain that when development reached a point where a character had to be cut to meet deadlines, it was decided that Mewtwo could be cut from the base game and then be used as the introductory DLC character, because Mewtwo's demand exceeded any character for Smash 4 bar maybe Mega Man and thus it was a surefire DLC hit while having him be the reward for owning both versions could also better encourage buying both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom