• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Lol it's been a month, this is a breeze compared to the post E3 06 Brawl drought. Or Smash 4 circa E3 2011-E3 2013.
God I forgot about the 2011 drought, luckily I only got into speculation around 2012 so I have no idea how yall survived the whole thing. There was absolutely no reason to announce it that early christ

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
God I forgot about the 2011 drought, luckily I only got into speculation around 2012 so I have no idea how yall survived the whole thing. There was absolutely no reason to announce it that early christ
If you think that's bad, try having survived that while only following one console's releases.

Avoiding the Wii U turned out to be for the best in the long run, but it still hurt.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lol it's been a month, this is a breeze compared to the post E3 06 Brawl drought. Or Smash 4 circa E3 2011-E3 2013.
With the Smash 4 era of waiting for something, there was Kid Icarus Uprising to keep us sane thanks to Daddy Sakurai (also Fire Emblem Awakening)
We had veteran reveals. Sonic was revealed to return in October.

We had about 90% of the roster revealed a month ago and we've received no new information since then besides some ****ing bangers.

This isn't just Smash Bros. Speculation.

This is...EXTREME SMASH BROS. SPECULATION.
Sonic was the only non-dlc vet to be special enough to have his own reveal trailer

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My sources for this information, who choose to stay anonymous because of Sakurai’s recent statement of disdain towards leakers, has seen a semi-current project plan with all new content listed in tiers of importance. With the stringencies the team has been facing, they wanted a fine line on what content was crucial to be added and what is not that important. With the rate of process the team is currently undergoing, tiers A and B will be accomplished but the amount of work done in C will be questionable.
A: Returning all characters, Inklings, Ridley, Geno, Simon Belmont, Buzzwole, Daisy (Echo), Full Cinematic Story Mode, Boss Rush,“Break the Targets and Board the Platforms” Maker, Event Mode, Classic Mode, 8 player smash, Home Run Contest, Multiman Smash
B: Heihachi, King K Rool, Dixie Kong(Semi Clone), Elma, Shadow(Echo), All Star Mode, Countdown, For Glory and For Fun with ranking system. Online tournament mode, Special Smash, Masterpieces
C: Bandana Dee, Chorus Kids, Donkey Kong Junior, Ninten(Echo), Multiplayer Smash Run, Stage Builder, Coin Smash, Target Smash, Smash Party, Returning all Stages
More Info:
  1. Ridley+Inklings: all of their info has been made public already
  2. Geno: A deal was made with Square Enix that they would only put in Geno if Cloud got in, hence his addition as DLC in the last game. Geno will become a newcomer in Smash Ultimate.
  3. Simon Belmont: Just as Megaman was a popular and revolutionary character on the Nintendo Entertainment System, Simon Belmont was too and joins the casts as a unique whip character,
  4. Buzzwole: Buzzwole is the first attempt at a true grappler character. In fact, his down special is vital throw and a copy of it is seen in the Mii Fighter video on the website. After every kill, Buzzwole’s kill power rises.
  5. Daisy: All changes from Peach are aesthetic and add “flower power” to her arsenal except for a all new down special, Piranha Plant. She holds out a potted plant and the Piranha Plant takes a big bite.
  6. Heihachi: Heihachi will work similarly to Ryu with special inputs and obvious combo. Instead of having heavy and weak versions of each tilt, there are low and mid attacks. Smash attacks act as high attacks. His final smash uses one of his Ten Hit Combos from Tekken Tag Team 2 and his design is based off this game also.
  7. King K Rool: King K Rool has an original and all new model for this game. His special moves are based on his boss appearances and he has costumes from each boss appearance: pirate, boxer, and mad scientists.
  8. Dixie Kong: Dixie is not an echo fighter but also not a super original character. She uses very few new hair attacks but gets all new special moves using bubble gum, a Baby Kong support and a hair twirl recovery. Her final smash is changed has he ride Rambi the Rhino across stage.
  9. Elma: This character is the one Sakurai needed a mecha rifle model for. She uses dual bladed attacks and some gun attacks with a “run and gun” playstile. Her final smash uses a Skell to unleash many laser based attacks.
  10. Shadow: Shadow runs by skating, has new taunts and new chaos energy around his attacks. He keeps all of Sonic’s moves except for his neutral b. Shadow does a chaos blast around him that is a strong kill move. His final smash is the same as Sonic’s except for it being Super Shadow.
  11. Bandana Dee: Bandana Dee is a low priority but easy pick for Ultimate. His moves would not be ground breaking but his kirby playstyle would make an easy transition to smash. If added, he will most likely be the last character developed in the main game.
  12. Chorus Kids: The Chorus Kids were not in Smash Wii U/3DS because of the hardware limitations on the 3DS. They will act like a combo of Duck Hunt Dog and Rosalina and Luma. You can control all three at once with no delay and they work in tandem but they can be seperate. There is still doubts on making them work as a concept especially with the existence of 8 player smash. Efforts will be made to attempt to make them work but there is still a decent chance they will be left behind in development again.
  13. Donkey Kong Junior: Many characters represent classic Nintendo peripherals. Duck Hunt, Mr Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B. all fit into this category and they may be joined by a character representing arcade games by Nintendo. Donkey Kong Junior would have references from all of the Nintendo arcade games and many of the console spin offs of these games in his arsenal. He even holds up a sign from Donkey Kong Junior Math for his taunt. His logo is separate from other DK characters being a pixelated and blocky version of the letters DK from the start of the Donkey Kong arcade game.
  14. Full Cinematic Adventure Mode: Subspace Emissary is getting an all new sequel. At launch, only Part 1 of 3 will be out. Part 1 will have the basic opening levels and some new fun cutscenes. Part 2 will be released for free right before the release of character downloadable content and Part 3 will be released after character downloadable content having all the downloaded characters making an appearance before the finale.
  15. “Break the Targets and Board the Platforms” Maker: Smash Brother is following the success of Mario Maker with this new mode. Players will be able to make their own target tests and board the platforms challenges and share them online. The customization takes inspiration from the previous stage builder mode but also adds the ability to carefully place items, new hazards based on Nintendo games and even some enemies for players to deal with. At launch, there will be a default built stage for every character showing players how creative they can be with the system.
  16. Countdown Mode: A new mode, similar to classic mode, where you play as each individual character in an event tailored to their abilities. When that event is completed, you move on to the next character in number order. (ex. Mario -> Donkey Kong -> Link) This game mode is meant to be difficult but give new players a chance to test their abilities with the entire roster.
  17. Smash Party: This new mode drops players into a RPG world were they will move from level to level completing challenges, defeating bosses, collecting items, leveling up, growing stronger, gaining party members and saving the smash universe. Each fight is done in the usual smash style but players move around from space to space in a board game style. This mode has a very basic but fun story. Each and every playthrough has random elements with new challenges around the corner.
  18. Returning all Stages: There is a small chance that all stages in smash history will be available at launch. It is more likely that popular stages will be saved for paid downloadable content or free updates.
  19. Downloadable Content: This game is the very first smash to have downloadable content in mind while developing the game for launch. In the project plan, it is acknowledged that a lot of content is being packed in too this cartridge so, content that would usually be left on the cutting room floor, will most likely be saved and made available for downloadable content.
Seems interesting, but is really just the same old stuff. A fully cinematic story mode alongside this roster would be great, but it's unlikely
This seems very sketchy...

Like the concepts are good but a lot of it seems too good to be true, especially the downloadable content bit and a clone like Daisy being high priority.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I also believe that the Switch will just have one Smash. As per tradition, there's only ever been one major installment per console, something that not even Mario has adhered to.

If people won't get characters like Rex & Pyra at launch, this is the best way to ensure they'll be in later, so they don't become outdated come the next Smash. Then there's the possibility of a new character ballot opening up, if it comes to that, although they would need to be more open about what it entails.

I'd be fine with it, since her debut game was on the DS, and the DS could use more representation.

The fact that I'm a cat person has nothing to do with it, I swear.
Yeah. I would like it if Blaze made it in.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Does anybody else here feel jealous that we can only watch SSBU and can't go to ONE event to at least play ONE game? It only makes the wait much more painful for me to be honest.

I want a demo so badly, but leakers might ruin the surprise. Sigh.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Wait people think we're not getting any more newcomers?

Aside from the intro thing, which is a good point, they would've said as much. Stringing along the Smash fanbase for six months with the ultimate reveal (pun unintended) of "nothing" would make the Waluigi reaction look like a walk in the park.
This place will become a bloodbath before the game releases if that happens lol

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think the thing with this month feeling like an information "drought", despite only being a month without new info, is that we assumed we'd get a lot of info after E3.

Of course before E3 I dont think anyone thought we'd know every veteran was returning and all the info we got all at once, so its like we psyched ourselves up for the final months being constant info drops and instead we got most of that all at once instead.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's give him a month so KMDP KMDP isn't stuck re-editing that list constantly every day, da?

Got a grand total of 10 SMT fans on SmashBoards so that's surprising.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ngl tho, Buzzwole sounds really badass, we’d be getting an ULTRA BEAST as a playable character in Smash

I haven’t even played a Pokémon game since the 90s and I can tell this gon b gud (if true)

I’ve been thinking about that leak’s detail on Daisy’s down B. Would she pull out a mini Petey from the ground and toss it at the enemy where Petey bites them?

Cause I sure as hell cant imagine her pulling the full size Petey out of the ground lmao

Also in hindsight, Buzzwole’s gimmick sounds kinda OP, unless the kill power gimmick resets if it’s KO’d (which I’d imagine is the case)

also please do not Google image search Petey Piranha I’m begging you

You will never look at him the same way again :eek:

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm curious with the now tight lock down on leaks, what are they doing different with the individual fragments of the game they give to Beta Testers? After all, most of the actual leaks come from people being in contact with these testers or friends of the testers.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Finally caught up! Wanted to reply to some stuffs.

Time for another survey list...

What in your opinion are the 5 most likely Echo characters that are gonna be added to Ultimate?
No particular order:
1. Dark Samus
2. Impa
3. Isabelle
4. Octoling
5. Funky Kong

For the record, I don't expect any of them, really. You'll also notice that none of these are third parties. If they're going to go out of their way to get 3rd party characters, they're going to give them the full treatment. Sorry for all you Shadow and Jeanne (or whatever the heck her name is) supporters.

Here's a new question.

Which newcomer has the best render?

Which veteran that was previously cut at one point has the best render?

Which veteran that was never cut has the best render?
Newcomer: Daisy. I don't know why, but I just love her render so much. I'm not even that much of a Daisy supporter, haha.
Cut Vet: Ivysaur. He's just such a good boi. Pichu, too.
Returning Vet: Lucina and Zelda. Lucina just looks great. Zelda... I didn't like her redesign at first (I love her TP design a lot), but her personality grew on me. And then I just really ended up liking her new design.

If they don’t attach it to a physics bone, then it won’t respond to external factors.View attachment 153882
The Smashville platform here is moving forward. Notice how it causes Peach's hair to lift up behind her. There are, however, limits on how much her hair can move (the platform moving backwards won't cause her hair to move forwards or around her head, it will just hang straight down as if it were not moving.)
I honestly miss the Melee hair physics where Peach's hair was stupidly vigorous on Big Blue and would slice through her body. haha

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's a new question.

Which newcomer has the best render?

Which veteran that was previously cut at one point has the best render?

Which veteran that was never cut has the best render?
Newcomer: I guess Inkling?
Previously cut: Young Link, Pichu, Snake (I’m just happy seeing him back ok)
Never cut: Link (BOTW design looks neat), Captain Falcon, Sheik, Shulk, Lucina, Bayonetta, Cloud, pretty much all the vets really?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think Spring Man has the potential to be one of the most unique fighters should he end up as DLC and he'd definitely add a lot of diversity to the roster. There's a lot that can be done with the concept of a stretchy armed guy.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
In other news, someone tried to imitate me on GameFAQs. Shoutouts to perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 for sticking up to me since I can't because GameFAQs banned me for an error in their own website.

Anyways, the weird thing about this speculation period is that it's so short.

For Smash 4 we had about two to four years (depending on if you count the announcement in 2011 or the official reveal in 2013) of speculation, with 2011 - 2013 being nothing but an announcement, and 2013 - 2014 being a slow trickle of information through various outlets. Newcomer and veteran reveals were spaced out pretty well, and we were never really starved for content. The Pic of the Day always had something slightly new, and even when it didn't it was at least entertaining.

For Ultimate the official speculation period began either March (the announcement) or June (the official reveal), and ends in December. That's 6 - 9 months. March to June was nothing but a teaser with Inklings, Mario, Link, and whoever was in those shadows (that was fun speculation). Then, in June the floodgates open and we get a massive info dump. Every character returns, Ridley and Daisy are in, the game releases in six months. After that? Nothing but lots of gameplay. The blog has been nothing but rehashed information and a ****ing banger every Tuesday. They could keep recycling content on the blog up until release if they wanted. It's been 5 weeks since the reveal of the game and we've gotten little to nothing.

I think part of our anxiousness is that this isn't like anything we've experienced before. Both Brawl and Sm4sh had lengthy, spread out speculation periods. Ultimate has 6 months, and therefore we believe that 2 - 3 years worth of a speculation period has to be shoved into 6 months. Hence, 273 "leaks" in 5 weeks. Really, I think we ought to treat this like late stage Sm4sh speculation and expect reveals at the same intervals.

We still need more information soon though.

KMDP

Smash Legend
In other news, someone tried to imitate me on GameFAQs. Shoutouts to perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 for sticking up to me since I can't because GameFAQs banned me for an error in their own website.

For Smash 4 we had about two to four years (depending on if you count the announcement in 2011 or the official reveal in 2013) of speculation, with 2011 - 2013 being nothing but an announcement, and 2013 - 2014 being a slow trickle of information through various outlets. Newcomer and veteran reveals were spaced out pretty well, and we were never really starved for content. The Pic of the Day always had something slightly new, and even when it didn't it was at least entertaining.

For Ultimate the official speculation period began either March (the announcement) or June (the official reveal), and ends in December. That's 6 - 9 months. March to June was nothing but a teaser with Inklings, Mario, Link, and whoever was in those shadows (that was fun speculation). Then, in June the floodgates open and we get a massive info dump. Every character returns, Ridley and Daisy are in, the game releases in six months. After that? Nothing but lots of gameplay. The blog has been nothing but rehashed information and a ****ing banger every Tuesday. They could keep recycling content on the blog up until release if they wanted. It's been 5 weeks since the reveal of the game and we've gotten little to nothing.

I think part of our anxiousness is that this isn't like anything we've experienced before. Both Brawl and Sm4sh had lengthy, spread out speculation periods. Ultimate has 6 months, and therefore we believe that 2 - 3 years worth of a speculation period has to be shoved into 6 months. Hence, 273 "leaks" in 5 weeks. Really, I think we ought to treat this like late stage Sm4sh speculation and expect reveals at the same intervals.

You know, each Smash Reveal this time might just be huge blowouts of information after a period of waiting (not as huge as at E3, though).

Hello There!
*insert loud Shrek clip here*

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

ugh GameFAQs is rough.

exactly its such a short speculation period so i think most of us assumed nearly weekly or at least monthly character/large info drops, instead we know every veterans status (all returning) and have seen nearly every stage returning too already and its starting to feel like instead of a bunch of small bits of new info but every day, we might just get another direct or something mid-way through this waiting period highlighting another large amount of info about the game again and then maybe one more large info drop right before release.

who knows but this first month has been empty, at least theres been a lot more to talk about on this side of the E3 dump... knowing only inklings and some silhouettes and not even sure if it was just a port was torture.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

God, maybe if the handful of veterans who were left in the dark wasn't my boi, I would've handled the wait better.

KMDP

Smash Legend
God, maybe if the handful of veterans who were left in the dark wasn't my boi, I would've handled the wait better.
One'a these days, Zinith. One'a these days. Yer gunna get what's comin' to ya!

Yoshi as the Fighter of the Day on Smashbros.com.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm curious with the now tight lock down on leaks, what are they doing different with the individual fragments of the game they give to Beta Testers? After all, most of the actual leaks come from people being in contact with these testers or friends of the testers.
Maybe they conscribe to a similar method to this:

3:57 onwards for the specific part I refer to.

hi everyone
Howdy.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I still don't understand why people hate clones.

They aren't taking the spot of your most wanted. They don't start in the project plan. They take minimal assets to create. They make a ton of fans happy. What's to hate? People hate them because they share similar moves to another character in a roster of over 60 characters where about AT LEAST 58 of them play differently from another?

If you don't like them, don't play them. Somebody else will.

Clones may not seem like they're worth adding, but that's because the fan base places a higher value on unique movesets over clones. It's interesting that that's the case, because this series is what it has become because of the addition of clone characters. If we didn't get Ganondorf in Melee, we may not have gotten him at all because he was specifically added by ease of access to Captain Falcon. Same thing with Falco and the others. They were popular requests. What makes more sense? Adding characters that people really want as clones so that they can be playable, or not adding them at all and twiddling your thumbs? It's quite obvious.

Clones are not picked over characters like King K.Rool. They aren't picked over extra game modes. They aren't picked over trophies. They aren't picked over costumes. They're added when there's a little bit of time left and there's time to add a few. That's where Dark Pit, Doc, Lucina, and Daisy come from.

That's also just an aspect of game development. Development can get crazy, and when the roster is headed by a guy who just wants to make people happy, I would be hard pressed to think he'd turn down a clone just because they "aren't worth the spot if they're the same as another character" or something like that.

I just don't get the hate. Most people are at least happy to play as their favorite character. Daisy fans get to play as a character that used to be set as an alt color for Peach. A family friend of mine asked me about it after the reveal because he has always played Daisy in Mario games and thought she was just an alt for Peach. When I explained that she wasn't he was relieved and extremely excited that he got to play the game as his favorite character despite the fact that she would play similarly to Peach.

I'm one of those players that will pick up and play anybody if I feel like it. But if you're not, there's quite literally over 50 other characters you can choose to play.

Basically, asking to exchange clones for something else shows a misunderstanding of game development and where clones come from. Saying you'd trade Dr. Mario, Lucina, Dark Pit, and Daisy for something else is flawed. You wouldn't get anything else for those characters, because they were decided upon at the end of that phase of development.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
So this stream is gonna be the second part of that last one they did, with tennis sometimes and smash some others...
Anyone is gonna watch it just in case a new assist trophy appears or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom