• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In response to a few pages back:

>Elma - Military Girl Dante

Well I mean you’re not wrong

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I can't believe we've gone to Waddle Dee racism.
This is amazing.
From Geno to Waddle Dee, who else is on the chopping block I wonder?
I'm dying waiting for the update so here's another game while we pray for the new track to tide us over for the week.

Pick your favorite newcomers you want based on their color (main or secondary color)! My list:
Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Yellow - Zeraora / Mythra
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red - Ashley/ Pyra & Rex
Blue - Saber from Fate/Stay Night
Cyan - Fjorm from Fire Emblem
Green - Gardevoir
Yellow - Isabelle/ Zeraora
Purple - Shantae/ Blaze the Cat
Orange- Rayman/ Dusk Lycanroc
White - Amaterasu/ Micaiah
Black - Kat from Gravity Rush/ Sora
Brown - Elma
Pink - Dixie Kong

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm dying waiting for the update so here's another game while we pray for the new track to tide us over for the week.

Pick your favorite newcomers you want based on their color (main or secondary color)! My list:
Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red-Elma
Blue-Makoto Yuki
Green-Decidueye
Yellow-Mimikyu
Purple-Morrigan
Orange-Bandana Waddle Dee
White-Aegis
Black-Midna
Brown-Cranky Kong
Pink-Dixie Kong

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking of something, do you think we'll get a Gen 7 Pokemon stage?

I'm imagining either the bridge from the opening or the ruins of conflict. We didn't get a good look at Ultra Space until the sequel after all

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Really? Because after the disappointment that was the Smash 4 newcomer roster, that's the only thing I want.
Personally, a lot more Smash 4 reveals appealed to me than Brawl newcomers.
Brawl: :ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ultolimar::ultpokemontrainer:(mostly Ivysaur):ultrob:
Smash 4: :ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultbowserjr:

For the most part a lot of Brawl's cast felt like the Inklings or Ridley do to me now, eliciting more of a feeling of "okay, they make sense" than personal excitement. And a lot of the really popular choices give me the same reaction of "okay" that I described (and in some cases elicit total apathy or even antipathy), while the characters I'd like as much as the Smash 4 newcomers I listed are considerably less popular or didn't exist until after the ballot. I mean yeah I guess part of that comes from my three favorite franchises (:ultmario::ultpikachu::ultmarth:) having some of the highest amount of characters, and the smaller new franchises I'd like bei no-hopers, but I'd take a Fire Emblem character over a Kirby newcomer any day of the week. Same with Super Mario over WarioWare, or Pokémon over Xenoblade Chronicles. Hell, if given the choice of a specific character from each, I'd take them over a DK newcomer.

Just my thoughts.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Dr. Mario.
Dark Pit.
Young Link AND Toon Link.

Characters can have history and personality without unique names.
not gonna disagree with your point but you need better comparisons young and toon link are the main protagonists of iconic games not an enemey that is becoming its own non generic character. toon link has like 4 or 5 games. young link is a part of ocarina and playable (kind of bigger than anything from BWD) and dr. mario is spinoff of the most popular videogame protagonist in the nintendo library.
dark pit is an evil/self interested version of the hero. a trope that is VERY popular in videogame media.
none of those are the same.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah, apparently the poll was asking who they expect to be included, rather than who they actually want. But I think in order to expect a character (especially someone like K. Rool), there must be some degree of "want" behind it as well.
Yeah I don’t think so... I’m expecting characters like elma, incineroar, Bandana dee, Ashley, chorus Kids and I don’t want any of them lol

I see your point in Jigglypuff, but Ryu and Snake are very popular characters, even if they weren't heavily speculated on before they were added.

And yeah, I found Smash 4 a massively disappointing roster (hated the large amount of avatar characters, fe characters, newer characters), especially after Brawl. Compared to the 5+ characters I was really excited to see there, Smash 4 didn't give me a single one I was particularly excited to see until DLC (Ryu) whilst removing an old main at the same time.

Ultimate has already matched that with Ridley for me. Inkling's not a character I have any attachment to but I'd very happily take her over anime protagonist #629 and whilst I'm not likely to play as Daisy that much (prefer Peach anyway) I can appreciate her more than either of the other two echos.

- - -

I should clarify I do actually like Sakurai's weirder choices - ROB is my main, ICs was my old main, and G&W and DHD are both great characters. It's the overall flavour of the Smash 4 roster I didn't like and would prefer more of a bias towards classic, heavy hitter characters (like Ridley, K Rool, Dixie, Toad, etc) this time round.
Yeah smash 4s base roster did nothing for me, the only character I could have cared about bowser jr didn’t even have his paint brush moveset and was forced into a clown car :S. The only character that I really wanted that got in was the last dlc character with bayonetta but at that point I was too soured with Wolf not returning that I didn’t get to enjoy it.

Smash Ultimate is infinity times better for me, I have all the oldies I loved and freaking Ridley, so at this point I’m ok if I get nothing more character wise but I’ll still lose my mind if I get Banjo Kazooie by some miracle.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hm. While looking at Geno's special abilities, would Geno Blast or Geno Flash be a better final smash?
I could see Geno Flash being similar to... PSI Flash (lol) as an attack whereas Geno Blast being a stage-wide version of his attack from the game.

Or it could be an automatically well timed full stage Geno Whirl :warioc:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hey everyone, there's a new sub-forum in this one. Pre-Release Build Discussion.

I can't really contribute as I never played it but but if you did, it's opwne now

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
I would love to see another weird character choice from Sakurai again like with Wii Fit Trainer, DHD, ROB and etc.

What character would u guys think would surprise everyone?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I would love to see another weird character choice from Sakurai again like with Wii Fit Trainer, DHD, ROB and etc.

I don’t think it will surprise forum goers but I think the weirdest character were getting chorus kids.

Or Steve.... dear god please no...

Unless the bird and bear come with :awesome:

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here's a question.

Are there any reaction images/videos you are holding onto/keeping in mind for the chance reveal of a Newcomer? (You don't have to say what it is, if you want to keep it a secret. XD)

While I'm not invested in Banjo-Kazooie (never played the duology), I do have a reaction video in mind for if/when they get revealed. (muhahaha)

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice

I'm imagining either the bridge from the opening or the ruins of conflict. We didn't get a good look at Ultra Space until the sequel after all

I'm hoping for the Altar of the Sun/Moon at Poni Island

I think it's one of the most iconic places in Alola and I want something related to Solgaleo and Lunala

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Brawl: :ultkingdedede::ultlucario::ultolimar::ultpokemontrainer:(mostly Ivysaur):ultrob:
Smash 4: :ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultbowserjr:

For the most part a lot of Brawl's cast felt like the Inklings or Ridley do to me now, eliciting more of a feeling of "okay, they make sense" than personal excitement. And a lot of the really popular choices give me the same reaction of "okay" that I described (and in some cases elicit total apathy or even antipathy), while the characters I'd like as much as the Smash 4 newcomers I listed are considerably less popular or didn't exist until after the ballot. I mean yeah I guess part of that comes from my three favorite franchises (:ultmario::ultpikachu::ultmarth:) having some of the highest amount of characters, and the smaller new franchises I'd like bei no-hopers, but I'd take a Fire Emblem character over a Kirby newcomer any day of the week. Same with Super Mario over WarioWare, or Pokémon over Xenoblade Chronicles. Hell, if given the choice of a specific character from each, I'd take them over a DK newcomer.

Just my thoughts.
The newcomers don't all have to be fan-favorites to make me happy. I just want more diversity among the iconic franchises that are already in Smash. I feel like that's where Brawl excelled and Smash 4 fell flat.

Excluding Miis, we got a total of ten new franchises in Smash 4, with AC and Xenoblade being the only two of those ten with a good chance of being expanded on. Meanwhile, a lot of iconic Nintendo franchises were skipped over entirely, with Mario, Pokemon, KI, and FE being the only existing series to get newcomers. DK, Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid got nothing, and poor Star Fox actually took a step backwards.

Now I'm not saying I want Sakurai to force himself to add a newcomer to each and every one of those franchises. I just think he should try to repeat what he did in Brawl and balance out the newcomers in a way that almost everyone would find more than a few characters who would appeal to them.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
What are your current thoughts on Simon Belmont? I'm starting to think he might not be in.
I don't really any interest in Simon Belmont, but that mostly because I haven't played any of the Castlevania games or followed them closely. So if he gets in I'll be happy for the fans who wanted him, but he far from my most wanted.

But just keep in mind every character has a chance, so don't start losing hope just yet he might surprise you. :)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also with so many characters in the roster, it's not easy to put characters that will be everyone's most wanted.
Even though that is inevitably a given, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of popular characters left that would hype up far more people than putting in a curveball character of low popularity, since those types of characters aren't the ones that generate a huge amount of hype nor satisfies a lot of people that wouldn't have been satisfied no matter who it was. After all, from an objective point of view, are you really going to tell me the hype when WFT was revealed (as much as I like her) is comparable to that of Ridley? Popular characters are popular for a reason.

Isaac from Golden Sun.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Just my thoughts.
Pretty much same. I prefer characters from newer, good games that I feel connection with, not characters who are classics from old games. That is not to say old characters can't be good but I'll probably not be very invented in them.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Pretty much same. I prefer characters from newer, good games that I feel connection with, not characters who are classics from old games. That is not to say old characters can't be good but I'll probably not be very invented in them.
I'm happy as long as we keep getting new Fighters, and Happy for the people that wanted them in.
All the DLC Characters I weren't interested in. Yet I'm still happy we got them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well that is inevitably a given, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of popular characters left that would hype up far more people than putting in a curveball character of low popularity, since those types of characters aren't the ones that generate a huge amount of hype nor satisfies a lot of people that wouldn't have been satisfied no matter who it was. After all, from an objective point of view, are you really going to tell me the hype when WFT was revealed (as much as I like her) is comparable to that of Ridley? Popular characters are popular for a reason.

Isaac from Golden Sun.
I'm just saying I feel nothing when Ridley revealed and you can't make everyone fan favourites after this point so you might as well start to introduce more franchises who can add more.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red - Ninten
Orange - Bandana Dee
Yellow - Mimikyu
Green - Decidueye
Blue - Kamek
Purple - Marx
Pink - Shiny Weavile?
Brown - Lycanroc
White - Leif?
Black - Weavile

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Just my thoughts.
Gotta say, I was pretty disappointed by Sm4sh's base roster. I feel like the characters I liked from there were okay at best (:4robinm:/:4duckhunt: are the only ones I really play much of), and then it cut Mewtwo, Squirtle, and all transformations on top of that. Even the DLC wasn't too impressive for me beyond the Melee vets.

With everyone returning (:ultpokemontrainer:!:ultmewtwo:!:ultwolf:!) and interesting changes to others (:ultganondorf:!), along with great newcomers (:ultridley:!!:ultdaisy:!), Ultimate is really looking up. I am at the point though that there are only a handful of characters I actively want in Smash now - and a lot are pipe-dream levels of unlikely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hm. While looking at Geno's special abilities, would Geno Blast or Geno Flash be a better final smash?
I could see Geno Flash being similar to... PSI Flash (lol) as an attack whereas Geno Blast being a stage-wide version of his attack from the game.

Or it could be an automatically well timed full stage Geno Whirl :warioc:
I'd say Geno Flash just to see how that little face would get animated

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

I'm going Monita from Nintendo Land.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

My preferred Sun and Moon stage is just south of there. :p

Iki Town would be so great. It's just the most "Alola" Alola location, and is an important town. You get your starter there, it has a platform right in town to fight on, it has that small Hawaiian town aesthetic...it's great.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I am at the point though that there are only a handful of characters I actively want in Smash now - and a lot are pipe-dream levels of unlikely.
Honestly, same here. My favorites are either folks who missed their window of opportunity (Chrom, barring an echo), are a now-or-never situation (Celica, Decidueye, Daruk), already out of the running (Waluigi), or never had a shot to begin with (Henry, an assortment of pipedream-level Fire Emblem and Pokémon characters). Other than those it's pretty much...Crash Bandicoot, really.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Iridium

Smash Hero
I have another interesting question. How would you guys rank all characters in SSBU so far if they followed their game/franchise canonically? I have seen posts of this for SSB4, but with more newcomers, and different versions of returning characters (:ultlink:, :ultike:, :ultcloud:), I can't help but be curious.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Honestly, same here. My favorites are either folks who missed their window of opportunity (Chrom, barring an echo), are a now-or-never situation (Celica, Decidueye, Daruk), already out of the running (Waluigi), or never had a shot to begin with (Henry, an assortment of pipedream-level Fire Emblem and Pokémon characters). Other than those it's pretty much...Crash Bandicoot, really.
N Sane trilogy is heaven to me. Its my 2nd fav switch game or other than BOTW.

Thank the gaming gods for this

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have another interesting question. How would you guys rank all characters in SSBU so far if they followed their game/franchise canonically? I have seen posts of this for SSB4, but with more newcomers, and different versions of returning characters (:ultlink:, :ultike:, :ultcloud:), I can't help but be curious.
All fighters? Hmm... Pichu is on the bottom and Bayonetta is on the top but I'm not sure about the rest.

Iridium

Smash Hero
All fighters? Hmm... Pichu is on the bottom and Bayonetta is on the top but I'm not sure about the rest.
Yeah, I can see that happening. :ultinkling: would literally die to Squirtle of all characters, as well as :ultmario:, :ultgreninja: and maybe Corrin perhaps. Against everyone else, well, they probably would not die to ink, but I can't say much for that.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'll join the colour wagon.

Red - Ashley.
Blue - Geno.
Green - King K. Rool.
Yellow - Doshin the Giant.
Purple - Waluigi.
Orange - Isaac.
White - Heihachi Mishima.
Black - Black Shadow.
Brown - Samurai Goroh (the dream will never die)
Pink - Lip.
Cyan - Krysal.
Grey - Chibi-Robo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if Smash has been confirmed for SDCC, then those 22nd leaks...

Hmm...

Do we think Nintendo will show off something new for Smash at a non-Japan, Non-E3 conference? I have my doubts.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So if Smash has been confirmed for SDCC, then those 22nd leaks...

Hmm...

Do we think Nintendo will show off something new for Smash at a non-Japan, Non-E3 conference? I have my doubts.
Wait, is there something on July 22nd? I just want to make sure I get what you are saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom