• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dr. Mario.
Dark Pit.
Young Link AND Toon Link.

Characters can have history and personality without unique names.
Another good example is Detective Pikachu. Completely different character who is incapable of doing most of Pikachu's moves.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Also we have 2 Roy's, which even the creators themselves poked fun at.

I'm gonna go to sleep now.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Dr. Mario.
Dark Pit.
Young Link AND Toon Link.

Characters can have history and personality without unique names.
That's not really the same case now is it? Those characters are merely alternate versions of existing ones, which I may add, are also in the game.

listen i know dark pit is his own character but please his name is so bad it's unbearable

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's not really the same case now is it? Those characters are merely alternate versions of existing ones, which I may add, are also in the game.

listen i know dark pit is his own character but please his name is so bad it's unbearable
Just call him Pittoo instead.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

He's a mirrored version of Pit so technically he's closer related to Pit than Toon Link who merely was named after Link.

At least Young Link and Link are incarnations of themselves

But I agree it's not the same thing

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Me coming back to this thread after two hours to blatant Waddle Dee Racism:

I want to bring this up because there's a misunderstanding, this isn't a popularity poll but rather a survey asking, "Who do you THINK seems like they'll be a fighter in the next Smash Bros?" I think it's an important distinction.
Interesting, but I don't think it changes much, considering that people will be more biased towards the characters they want in Smash Bros. Turning it into a straight popularity contest would maybe change the results a bit, but I don't think it would change very much.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm just saying I doubt mere naming would prevent a character from getting in. I also would call Dark Pit Pittoo but he doesn't really like it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Me coming back to this thread after two hours to blatant Waddle Dee Racism:

Interesting, but I don't think it changes much, considering that people will be more biased towards the characters they want in Smash Bros. Turning it into a straight popularity contest would maybe change the results a bit, but I don't think it would change very much.
Well, I think Bandana Dee is getting in

And probably Dark Samus

And I like neither of those characters

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't like Daisy nor Ridley but here we are.
Ah, but did you think they would get in prior to the announcement?

Anyone could think Ridley will be in Smash after his announcement

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Why do you think the blog's update time is so inconsistent? Back when Sakurai was posting on Miiverse, late uploads were pretty rare and sometimes meant a character reveal. These on the other hand just seem uploaded at random times.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'm dying waiting for the update so here's another game while we pray for the new track to tide us over for the week.

Pick your favorite newcomers you want based on their color (main or secondary color)! My list:
Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Yellow - Zeraora / Mythra
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red - Ashley / Prince Sable / Viridi
Blue - Mach Rider
Green - King K. Rool
Yellow - Isaac
Purple - Hades / NiGHTS
Orange - Tails
White - Ayumi Tachibana (white... shirt and socks)
Black - Black Shadow
Brown - Dixie (brown body hair)
Pink - Lip

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Alright, I’m going to sleep y’all.

Hopefully we get something soon.

Goodnight Everyone!

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
It feels like a lot of the popular picks out there are scraping the bottom of the barrel to me at this point, but same could probably be said about the characters I'd pick. Only characters to me that don't feel tertiary(at best) are K K Rool, Dixie Kong, Paper Mario (Since that series has like 6 games at this point), maybe Bandanna Dee (I don't know enough about that one) and Captain Toad given that he has his own series now. Seems like all other characters are third party, from a pretty niche game franchise, or lack that all star status in the franchise they are from. Not hating on the hype a character may bring you, just feels like a reboot will be necessary if there is a smash 6.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why do you think the blog's update time is so inconsistent? Back when Sakurai was posting on Miiverse, late uploads were pretty rare and sometimes meant a character reveal. These on the other hand just seem uploaded at random times.
Do we know that it's actually Sakurai himself uploading the blogs, or is it just some random employee?

Black - Black Shadow

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We have no idea yet if here is going to be character reveals outside of directs.

Brawl and Melee did that, but Ultimate didn't. So there is no set pattern

With how few characters are probably getting in, and how little time, my money would be on directs only

Staarih

Smash Master
Today's update is Moray Towers:

Edit: Ugh... SlowBoards.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
They are awfully late with the update today.
I realized this today, but when they're late on their usual time (12pm japan time), the post comes exactly 5 hours later (5pm japan time). This has been happening every second update of the week, then we get 2 other updates in a row (12pm and 5pm japan time, one of them being music, and then we're back to the usual timeslot until next week.

Edit: So what I mean is... them being "late" is probably on purpose and doesn't mean anything

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
What are your current thoughts on Simon Belmont? I'm starting to think he might not be in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What are your current thoughts on Simon Belmont? I'm starting to think he might not be in.
Never thought he was likely before Verg, never thought he was likely during Verg, never thought he was likely after Verg fell out of relevance.
Don't believe in hype.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They might still be recovering from that flood too, don't forget that

Also after beating Samus Returns Hard Mode 100%, I feel we really should get content from that game, be it music, trophies or even SR388 as a stage. Though knowing Sakurai he'd put Diggernaut there somewhere and **** Diggernaut

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As a user of the customs that X didn't get
I've heard people mention this about echoes and I don't think it's something that's going to happen.

They didn't do that with Dark Pit, Lucina or Daisy

It doesn't rule out the possibility, I just don't see it happening.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't find him likely. I'm not convinced Vergeben was 100% right and even if Konami is involved in this game, so was Namco and we still got only one character. Also if he was in, it would make sense to reveal him in E3, not later. Maybe he's not finished and they'll show him randomly like Sonic but again, I don't find it likely.

He'd cool, though, especially out of spite to fans complaint about too many humanoid guest fighters/realistic characters in general.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i was mostly convinced he was going to be in before I realized Konami owns Snake. I'm not a fan of Metal Gear. The only Konami characters I knew were Simon Belmont and Bomberman (Who they acquired) Bomberman made it (as an AT) because Snake

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Originally didn't exactly resonate with the idea of Simon or a Castlevania guest fighter until Vergeben's 'leak,' since I don't really have much history with the series - only played a little bit of Super Castlevania IV, and need to get around to watching the Netflix series, but I've come around to thinking he'd be a pretty neat addition to the cast with his vampire hunting weapons and his trusty whip. ...That is, if this rumour/leak has any truth to it.

As for his likeliness, I'd say that it's decent, given that they've brought Snake back, and with Bomberman as an Assist Trophy, he's probably the next pick for a Konami guest character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well that's Morray Towers posted.

I wonder though... You think they're still building the Odyssey New Donk stage? I wouldn't be suprised if it was the last stage added.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The one stage I suggested they add in the Brawl days, they actually did add: Magicant

So, I think I'm good for whatever stages they want to add.

But, a Bowser's Castle stage or Gyromite stage might be good. *WinkWink*

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm dying waiting for the update so here's another game while we pray for the new track to tide us over for the week.

Pick your favorite newcomers you want based on their color (main or secondary color)! My list:
Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red - Captain Toad
Blue - Bandana Dee/Gooey
Green - Slippy
Yellow - Isabelle
Purple - Vaati
Orange - Tails
White - Impa
Black - Chibi-Robo
Brown - Banjo
Pink - Dixie Kong

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
View attachment 153453thinking emoji

In all seriousness this likely means nothing but it's the second time Star Allies referenced Smash, the first time being HAL pushing for Bandana Dee in Smash
Daroach and Bandana Dee confirmed for Smash!!!!!!

Please

In all seriousness though, I don't even think this a Smash reference, and don't know what you're talking in regards to the first Smash reference unless you're talking about the "deserves a prize" line, but that could really mean anything.

BTW, do we know Bandana Dees Japanese bio? Does it also mention deserving a prize?

Because he definitely deeserves a prize.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Taking a moment to give a shout-out to whoever made all these stock icons I've been seeing, really superb work, they almost all look authentic. There's even ones for obscure character choices that I'd never even considered, like the Skyrim guy. Really impressive.

Now that it's been over a month, I think it's getting to be close to time for another announcement of some kind to keep the hype training going strong. I anticipate some kind of update within the next two weeks, whether that's character or otherwise.
I believe the Dohvahkiin icon was made by our resident Dovahkiin fan, @CaptainAmerica in Imadethistoseealeak Imadethistoseealeak 's thread about fanmade stock icons here
Yes! You should check that thread out. I'm not one of the artists, just compiling and so all the credit goes to the artists listed. Idon has also made a bunch too!

Sorry was way late on this response lol. I just love when people recognize these because they ARE really cool.

Anyway that Japanese poll is interesting, well the echo fighter one is. This supports my Dark Samus speculation, and yea Shadow, Ken and Jeanne make sense...meh.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Being new to this thread, obligatory first post so that I get pinged whenever new messages come in.

Also:

Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red - Reimu Hakurei
Blue - Kamek
Green - As much as I'd prefer his original outfit, Rex in his post-chapter 7 gear.
Yellow - Zanza
Purple - Vaati
Orange - Reyn
White - Fiora
Black - Mumkhar
Brown - Captain Goomba (yes, I'm serious)
Pink - Does Melia count?

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Red - Ashley / Celica
Blue - Bandana Dee
Green - Linkle
Purple - Hilda (LBW)
Orange - Goku Infernape
White - Amaterasu / 2B
Black - Shadow
Brown - Sora Just Monika
Pink - Yarn Kirby / Lip
Red - Ken
Blue - Sylux