• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
These are supposedly the characters within the "Where's Waldo" """leak"""
>Rayman
>Abe from Codename Steam
>Clu Clu Land Bubbles
>K Rool
>Paper Mario
>Louie
>Ashley
>Karate Joe

Fun puzzle though.

Also another leak, seems to be derivative of this leak, but with the dates changed.
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423489896
July
Rayman Smash trailer
August, (EVO)
Heihachi will be confirmed for Smash
September (Direct)
Kiddy Kong and Dixie Kong as partners, and then a separate trailer for King K.Rool, and Story mode will also be reveald, it will have a trailer for it.
October
Shadow (Echo of Sonic)
November (Smash Direct, similar to 50 Facts Extravaganza)
Simon Belmont
December
Kamek, the Troll character
Man that is lame

They put the release date in it after the date was known

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Frankly the character himself could probably go either way, but a Captain Toad stage just seems like a perfect natural fit for Smash, being basically little floating Mario-esque dioramas.

Zeox

Smash Champion
This thread right now is pretty much talk about echoes, then fake leaks, then echoes again, etc...
Anyways, I want to share with you guys a comment of Jamesster445 where he pretty much works an draws an entire move set potential for Porky and is pretty interesting to see, it probably take a lot of work to do, so I share it:
There has been a outcry of a certain character archetype for Smash Bros during the Wii U era and even now as we enter the Switch era. “Smash needs more villains and it needs more heavyweights.” Because of this, two names always pop up. Ridley from the Metroid series (who was recently confirmed) and King K.Rool of the Donkey Kong series. And Both are fine choices and there’s some commonality between them. They only had 2 reps and they were both heroes. But there was a third series that followed that same commonality but never got the same recognition. Which is sad, because the villain we’re talking about might be the most despicable villain Nintendo has ever published and more importantly, this villain has actually been in Smash before.

Special shout out to @Dalek_Kolt for his Porky sprites.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
No one is asking for a second splatoon newcomer. No one is asking for captain cuttlefish to whip out his cane and beat people up. It's literally a low hanging fruit of an echo fighter, and echos are obviously going to be quick and easy characters. No one is demanding octolings, but considering them a possibility because well it's a textbook ez echo, no different for talking about a ninten or shadow echo.

it really aint that deep

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Is there any chance at all that Alph could be promoted to Echo Fighter and that Sakurai is just trying to pull a fast one on us by making us think he is a alt for Olimar again? Since Olimar was not playable in the demo, couldn't it be possible that Alph is actually an echo of Olimar this time around?
Probably not gonna happen, but it’s definitely a possibility
Who knows, maybe we'll get 16 alts for each character instead of 8 (before anyone asks, maybe the alt Clown Car could be black or something, I don't know), and the Octolings make up the other 8 Inkling colours, using 8 different ink colours to the Inklings.

Octolings get in, play the same as Inklings, and give you more Inky options. Everyone's happy!
I wouldn’t be happy if this isn’t gonna be an actual thing (though Inkling/Octolings Girls > Boys)
Well, I don't know, maybe they could use a different selection of weapons; like, say, the ones from Splatoon 2?

Kinda like what Dark Pit fans wanted for him.

It boggles the mind that people hate Dark Pit for being basically the same as Pit, but there are people clamoring for Octolings that are basically the same as the Inklings.
And people still want Dark Pit to be different from someone he’s always copied in a fight...atleast there’s not too many people being foolish with the Octolings

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I lose brain cells every time there's an Echo discussion in this thread.
@tehponycorn any hot new leaks? I'm desperate for a new topic.
I left for four hours, came back, and its still going. At least who the echo was changed....I guess.

I don't know why we are even having an Octoling discussion. Based on the timing of the initial proposal, that everyone assumes is when the roster was decided completely, why would Sakurai have considered them at the time?

The Roy/Luigi argument doesn't work either. Roy was promotional. Splatoon 2 needs no promotion at this point. Luigi is the iconic, Player 2. Octolings are just there.

And even then if they add Octolings....who cares either way? (Yes, obviously some want there inclusion but they don't.....add anything.....might as well just add them as separate skins and be done with the concept for a while.)

I don't think they will be added personally but even if they are it doesn't affect me in the slightest. The best way to handle them, if at all, would be as DLC Costumes for Inklings or as a full-on DLC Newcomer. There is plenty of unused material in Splatoon 2 to make Octolings almost completely unique.

The Echo discussion is dumb because instead of asking ourselves why a character should be in Smash or what they could add to the roster, we just try to shove in some characters that can be echos because because. Shadow, Dark Samus, Octolings, Mimikyu (I've seen the arguments myself), etc. don't need to be echos. Can we stop trying to shove the new hip term down each others throats?

Echos are last minute inclusions or characters that Sakurai would not add otherwise (supposedly) that can be made into a copypaste of another character. Stop trying to downplay characters to fit that mold. Plenty of the characters frequently talked about are completely deserving and unique enough to warrant being at LEAST a semi-clone. We don't need twelve Echo fighters in Ultimate. The lower the number the better the game will be in my opinion.

Furthermore, even the "well, I want *blank* character to be in as an Echo because that is the only way to get in at all" argument is dumb too. They'll pretty much always be an Echo in that case. They'll never be *this character* they'll be a mimic of another. And if a character never deserved a spot in the roster in the first place why should Sakurai waste any effort at all to even make them Echos?

"Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should." Echos should get 3 more at absolute maximum. They are last minute additions to characters that weren't good enough on their own to warrant a unique place on the roster. The most Echos we've ever had has been two, can we stop making it the topic of every other discussion now? If we end up with 6 total in the base roster I will delete my account on here.

Rant over. :ohwell:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Sakurai said he's not thinking about it right now, so no.
Sakurai also said ZSS wasn't gonna be in Smash 4 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably not, unless sakurai's perspective has suddenly changed he feels strongly about wanting a game to be completely finished when it's released and make the base game as content packed as possible
There's also the possibility Sakurai also has it as jam-packed as he can make it for release but wants to put more in. We ARE in the last few months of development time; adding any non-echoes right now would basically be impossible, especially considering the regulations for working he set for himself.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Sakurai also said ZSS wasn't gonna be in Smash 4 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's also the possibility Sakurai also has it as jam-packed as he can make it for release but wants to put more in. We ARE in the last few months of development time; adding any non-echoes right now would basically be impossible, especially considering the regulations for working he set for himself.
Could be possible they're in the planning stages but I doubt there's anything set in stone at this point tbh, they're still working on the game itself right now after all

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I use this card once as a joke and now people are using it unironically.
Amazing.
Allow me to use a better example. Sakurai also said that if they shrunk Ridley, he wouldn't be Ridley anymore.

Oh, and let's not forget Pac-Man, Miis, and Villager.

Sakurai can change his mind.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Allow me to use a better example. Sakurai also said that if they shrunk Ridley, he wouldn't be Ridley anymore.
That doesn't mean Sakurai is thinking about DLC right now, though.

I get what you are saying, "Sakurai says a lot of things," but that doesn't mean he already has plans for DLC. They probably are hard at work on the base game right now.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
>_>

<_<

Is this a serious post?
He said it during the first Smash 4 direct after talking to about about no more transformations in the game (even made her character portrait turn grey before showing big jugged ZSS)...was quite the evil joke

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I left for four hours, came back, and its still going. At least who the echo was changed....I guess.

I don't know why we are even having an Octoling discussion. Based on the timing of the initial proposal, that everyone assumes is when the roster was decided completely, why would Sakurai have considered them at the time?

The Roy/Luigi argument doesn't work either. Roy was promotional. Splatoon 2 needs no promotion at this point. Luigi is the iconic, Player 2. Octolings are just there.

And even then if they add Octolings....who cares either way? (Yes, obviously some want there inclusion but they don't.....add anything.....might as well just add them as separate skins and be done with the concept for a while.)

I don't think they will be added personally but even if they are it doesn't affect me in the slightest. The best way to handle them, if at all, would be as DLC Costumes for Inklings or as a full-on DLC Newcomer. There is plenty of unused material in Splatoon 2 to make Octolings almost completely unique.

The Echo discussion is dumb because instead of asking ourselves why a character should be in Smash or what they could add to the roster, we just try to shove in some characters that can be echos because because. Shadow, Dark Samus, Octolings, Mimikyu (I've seen the arguments myself), etc. don't need to be echos. Can we stop trying to shove the new hip term down each others throats?

Echos are last minute inclusions or characters that Sakurai would not add otherwise (supposedly) that can be made into a copypaste of another character. Stop trying to downplay characters to fit that mold. Plenty of the characters frequently talked about are completely deserving and unique enough to warrant being at LEAST a semi-clone. We don't need twelve Echo fighters in Ultimate. The lower the number the better the game will be in my opinion.

Furthermore, even the "well, I want *blank* character to be in as an Echo because that is the only way to get in at all" argument is dumb too. They'll pretty much always be an Echo in that case. They'll never be *this character* they'll be a mimic of another. And if a character never deserved a spot in the roster in the first place why should Sakurai waste any effort at all to even make them Echos?

"Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should." Echos should get 3 more at absolute maximum. They are last minute additions to characters that weren't good enough on their own to warrant a unique place on the roster. The most Echos we've ever had has been two, can we stop making it the topic of every other discussion now? If we end up with 6 total in the base roster I will delete my account on here.

Rant over. :ohwell:
I also need to address this. The difference is that functionally, Octolings literally play the same as Inklings. Even the other Echo Fighters have differences in their home series, but Octolings are functionally identical and basically reskins. The point is that they are the actual, literal definition of an Echo Fighter.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would guess they currently have plans to do DLC, and if that requires negotiations with third-parties (or even other Nintendo partners), those might be underway, but any actual in-game development, barring stuff that gets cut for time to be re-implemented later, is probably not being worked on atm.

However that's just my guess.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Sorry, but you lost me.
This is a really weird comparison.
Read the updated version of that post. Or heck, let me just quote this:

I get what you are saying, "Sakurai says a lot of things," but that doesn't mean he already have plans for DLC. They probably are hard at work on the base game right now.
My point is Sakurai changes his mind all the time. You can't take anything he says at face value.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another game again, since that Victory Fanfare leak gave me an idea.

What unique fanfares, if any, would you like for newcomers and even veterans who weren’t playable in the demo?

Wolf - as the leak suggested, even though it’s likely to be false, I’d like an edgier version of Fox and Falco’s victory theme for him, like Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Meta Knight do for their respective series. (Also, is Ridley’s fanfare remixed?) That or a snippet of Star Wolf’s theme

K. Rool - see above, but with the DK victory theme

Simon Belmont - a snippet of Simon’s theme

Dr. Mario - snippet of the Dr. Mario theme song (it’s only fair)

Corrin - snippet of Lost In Thoughts All Alone (instrumental)

Rex & Pyra (and a potential Addam & Mythra echo) - Hunting Succeeded

Rhythm Heaven character - the jingle that plays at the screen just before you play a Remix in Rhythm Heaven Fever

Elma - snippet of THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:27 (or if they’re feeling generous, up to 4:46 and looping i love that song to bits ok)

Ryu - Updated to the Street Fighter IV victory theme, on loop

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My point is Sakurai changes his mind all the time. You can't take anything he says at face value.
I didn't say he's not going to do DLC because of this. I said he's not thinking about DLC right now, meaning that any "leak" with details about DLC is definitely fake.
Did you even read what I was saying?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
"Hey what's going on in this thre-"
MORE SHADOW AND OCTO CRAP
"ok."
This thread in a nutshell. Desperately need a new dump of information of some kind: reveal, game mode, an unseen stage...

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

What unique fanfares, if any, would you like for newcomers and even veterans who weren’t playable in the demo?

Wolf - as the leak suggested, even though it’s likely to be false, I’d like an edgier version of Fox and Falco’s victory theme for him, like Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Meta Knight do for their respective series. (Also, is Ridley’s fanfare remixed?)

Rhythm Heaven character - the jingle that plays at the screen just before you play a Remix in Rhythm Heaven Fever

Elma - snippet of THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:27 (or if they’re feeling generous, up to 4:46 and looping i love that song to bits ok)
The DKC victory theme is based on the Bonus Room Victory Theme. With that in mind, I think K Rool could do far worse than having the first 6 seconds of the Bonus Room Failure Theme:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I didn't say he's not going to do DLC because of this. I said he's not thinking about DLC right now, meaning that any "leak" with details about DLC is definitely fake.
Did you even read what I was saying?
Did you read what I was saying? We cannot dismiss leaks if they have DLC Information because he would likely already have characters in mind by now. We're very close to release - development for any non-Echo Fighters right now would not be possible without either a delay or Sakurai ignoring his work regulations to get them done. Further fighters not already on the roster in their build will have to be relegated to DLC or cut.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
This thread in a nutshell. Desperately need a new dump of information of some kind: reveal, game mode, an unseen stage...
I’m probably going to stop coming to the SmashBoards Ultimate speculation thread for about a week. Right now we have nothing, and I just want to play the damn thing.

Waiting for December is gonna be tough, not to mention I hate December.

Anyways, out of context but Ashley probably is not going to get added and will stay as an assist.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Wolf - as the leak suggested, even though it’s likely to be false, I’d like an edgier version of Fox and Falco’s victory theme for him, like Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Meta Knight do. (Also, is Ridley’s fanfare remixed?)

K. Rool - see above

Rex & Pyra (and a potential Addam and Mythra echo) - Hunting Succeeded

Elma - snippet of THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:27
SMT's Kazuya should have his level up theme on continuous loop like Cloud.
SMT3's Demi-fiend should have a guitar solo at 0:53 from his battle theme and then transition to his level up theme like Cloud as well.

Last edited:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013

Wolf - as the leak suggested, even though it’s likely to be false, I’d like an edgier version of Fox and Falco’s victory theme for him, like Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Meta Knight do for their respective series. (Also, is Ridley’s fanfare remixed?)

On the subject of the doc, I wish that Dr. Mario would get a pill as his emblem but I know that's probably unlikely...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'd actually be suprised if they went with remixing the Star Fox victory theme, rather than using the opening to the actual Star Wolf theme.

Literally just use the first three-four seconds and you're set.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I also need to address this. The difference is that functionally, Octolings literally play the same as Inklings. Even the other Echo Fighters have differences in their home series, but Octolings are functionally identical and basically reskins. The point is that they are the actual, literal definition of an Echo Fighter.
No that's the definition of whatever Alph is. "Reskin." You also didn't address any of my actual points against them being in the base roster.

I almost literally said that. Why are you quoting me. You didn't address what I actually said. They most likely are too busy working on the main game to have started on DLC.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
"Hey what's going on in this thre-"
MORE SHADOW AND OCTO CRAP
"ok."
I'm still kind of genuinely surprised that there are this many people who want Shadow. I guess the edgy 14-year-old in all of us never truly dies.

Seriously if they have to add another Sonic character (and they don't) please don't put in the worst one.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm still kind of genuinely surprised that there are this many people who want Shadow. I guess the edgy 14-year-old in all of us never truly dies.

Seriously if they have to add another Sonic character (and they don't) please don't put in the worst one.
Don't worry Rouge will never be in Smash.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
On the bright side, atleast it isn’t more talk about Bayo and Riggery
I'd actually be suprised if they went with remixing the Star Fox victory theme, rather than using the opening to the actual Star Wolf theme.

Literally just use the first three-four seconds and you're set.
Thing is...you’re not wrong at all (works for Dark Pit and Rosalina)
Bird DNA must be some killer **** if it turns you superhuman AND supermodel.
Must be
Seriously if they have to add another Sonic character (and they don't) please don't put in the worst one
did...did you just call Shadow the worst Sonic character?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No that's the definition of whatever Alph is. "Reskin." You also didn't address any of my actual points against them being in the base roster.

I almost literally said that. Why are you quoting me. You didn't address what I actually said. They most likely are too busy working on the main game to have started on DLC.
I addressed what I needed to address. I don't go on long tangents over irrelevant information.

As for the second quote, simply for dramatic effect, to point out to Lampy what I was saying as he was not getting it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I addressed what I needed to address. I don't go on long tangents over irrelevant information.

As for the second quote, simply for dramatic effect, to point out to Lampy what I was saying as he was not getting it.
You didn't address anything. You literally quoted me and told me nothing. Do you I guess.
Excuse me! rouge is the baddest ***** out there and I won't tolerate any slander, especially when charmy exists
I kinda just picked the first character that came to mind. Rouge's alright I guess. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom