• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
The original project plan is not a Bible.
It isn't set in stone. Plans can change.

Just because a character got big after 2015 does not mean that their chances are eliminated, especially if they're an echo that can be quickly whipped up within a week.

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
The thing with Shadow is, and I know I'm going to make people groan when I say this, he straight up hasn't used the moves that Sonic uses in Smash besides the specials.

Sonic's moveset in Smash is literally mostly derived from his Sonic The Fighters moveset.

His forward tilt is his Horse kick:

Forward Smash is the Windup Punch:

His Fair is from Emerald Drive:

Up Air scissor kick is just Scissor Punch but with his feet:

He also had a lot of spin attacks in both Fighters and Battle, thus his 8,000 different spin attacks in Smash.

Ironically enough the one move that is taken from Battle is his Dair, which is from Shadow:

Sonic's fighting style in Battle and other games is basically Capoeira, a martial art that combines elements of dance and acrobatics. Even in Smash, that style is realized through his Down-Smash in 4 and Ultimate where he does the splits. Shadow could do all of this in that there's nothing stopping Sakurai from making him an echo... it's just that he literally hasn't done any of that. Shadow doesn't fight with high-speed dance moves or wind-up punches, he manipulates and channels Chaos energy and even engulfs his fists with it, distorts space and manipulates space-time. He does this many, many times and has never displayed the bulk of the moves above or from Sonic's moveset in Battle. Shadow's only a clone because he uses Spin Dash, Homing Attack and Light Speed Dash, that's it.
See, I notice people talk about how "uninspired" or "boring" Sonic's moveset is (such as in the recent GameXplain Smash discussion). But I've known about these references to Fighters and Battle since the Brawl days, and I've always appreciated it.

Pit! Dark Pit! Light Pit! Baby Pit! Metal Pit! Gold Pit! Cat Pit! Tanuki Pit! Super Pit!

King Pitpitpit!
Zero Suit Pit!
Pitmin & Pit!
Pit! Junior!
Captain Pit
!
Dark Pit Duo!
Reminds me of this:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Isaac I would say has a better shot than most because he is decently popular. Of course if I had to put him in a placement on the Ballot he probably made it to 10th? Taking all the impossible characters in to consideration too maybe higher.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, here is a question.

How likely do you think Isaac is?

Was the ballot enough to help him?
He probably did well enough on it, but not good enough to really be amongst the top candidates, and given his current situation he absolutely needed to be one of the top voted characters in order to have a serious chance. Like, he's very popular amongst the hardcore Nintendo fans, but considered obscure amongst the wider audience, and unlike K. Rool and Geno he's not reached the point where he's a nostalgic pick either, so he can't really get his own bandwagon going.

I think one day it'll probably happen, but not for Ultimate's base roster.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
So, here is a question.

How likely do you think Isaac is?

Was the ballot enough to help him?
Unfortunately, I'd say he's fairly unlikely unless he did VERY well on the ballot. Isaac and the Golden Sun franchise seem to have been forgotten by Nintendo, so extreme fan support is probably the only way he'd get in at this point.

On another note, the Poochy discussion a few pages back reminded me that I'd really like to see him playable. I found a picture that visualizes what he could have for special moves:
poochy.png

I'm a big fan of the ideas here, but I think it'd be cool if the Poochy Pups from Woolly World could be included in the moveset somehow.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I said it in the Isaac thread and I'll say it here: in terms of unrepresented Nintendo series, the only one that I'd say currently outranks Golden Sun for likelihood is Rhythm Heaven. I exclude ARMS due to timing.

It will be interesting to see which new series past Splatoon show up this time around.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I said it in the Isaac thread and I'll say it here: in terms of unrepresented Nintendo series, the only one that I'd say currently outranks Golden Sun for likelihood is Rhythm Heaven. I exclude ARMS due to timing.

It will be interesting to see which new series past Splatoon show up this time around.
This is a really good point. I dunno how Sakurai considers representation but if he is looking at popular characters from franchises that don't have a character yet then Isaac and Chorus Kids are the only two decently popular choices.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
This is a really good point. I dunno how Sakurai considers representation but if he is looking at popular characters from franchises that don't have a character yet then Isaac and Chorus Kids are the only two decently popular choices.
Golden Sun?? What about the Excite series? That's one of their most successful franchises. And it has a retro appeal as one of the most successful NES games.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bayonetta/Palutena

Megaman/Pac-Man
:ultpit:X:ultbayonetta: > :ultbayonetta:x:ultpalutena:...and oh god to the :ultmegaman:and:ultpacman:part
(the humans looked awful too)
Sonicman was perfection
I think Isaac has a decent chance of being in this game overall, whether it be in the base roster or as DLC. I'd give him slightly better chances as DLC though.

Also, another "leak:"
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/423498870/#423498870
A friend of mine that works for Ninthendo of American has some inside information about the charters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Decidueye will be revealed during a July Nintendo Direct Mini.

Heihachi will be revealed at EVO 2018.

Steve will be revealed at MineCon Earth 2018.

Siomon will be revealed on Halloween.

King K. Roll will be revealed During a November Nintendo Direct.

Karate Joe will be revealed on a Smash Bros direct just days before the game releases.

In the Direct, we will be told Banjo-Kazooie is in development as a DLC charter, and DLC for the game will release through out the switches life time.

Chartes not revealed before lunch are Geno, Dixie Kong, Dark Samus, Chrom, Isabel, Tails, and Shadow.
And anotha' one:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423504856
Hello, I have multiple insiders at Nintendo and would like to share some information about Super Smash Brothers Ultimate with you.

In July, there will be a Nintendo Direct Mini that announces a few new games and a 1 new Smash character. This character is code named Pirate. This character has a long history with Nintendo but hasn't been very relevant until speculation for Smash Brawl and 4 started.

In the September Nintendo Direct, there will be 2 new characters announced. They are code named Foldable and Underground. In the direct, a new game starring Foldable will be announced for 2019, and a game that Underground makes a prominent appearance in will be given a release date and will be eShop exclusive.

In November there will be a Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Direct giving many details on the game before it's release in December. 2 final characters will be announced here, code named Explorer and Spirit. Explorer can travel to a lot of places on foot, but when going vertical, needs the help of a second entity. Spirit hasn't been seen for a long time, yet still has a huge fan-base. This character was decided on to capitalize on the theme of Ultimate, which was giving the fans exactly what they want.

That is all the news I have for now, but I will make a new post to update you when I get news of DLC. If you don't believe me, I understand. This is 4chan after all. But if you do believe me, you will be happy you did when the game comes out. If you don't believe me, at least you have something to solve. Goodbye for now.
More codenames. Fun.
K Rool is the new hot stuff now that :ultridley:is in

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
New leak discussing story mode:
Smash rivals

There will be Playstaton all-stars type of story mode in smash Ultimate. Each of the characters will have a certain rival exclusive to them. Here are some I know

Mario/Bowser
Kirby/Dedede
Link/Ganondorf
Samus/Ridley
Donkey Kong/King K Rool
Yoshi/Pokemon Trainer
Luigi/Diddy
Pikachu/Pichu
Captain Falcon/Robin
Marth/Lucina
Bayonetta/Palutena
Peach/Zelda
Sheik/Impa
Meta Knight/Mewtwo
Cloud/Ike
Pit/Dark Pit
Fox/Wolf
Lucas/Wario
Megaman/Pac-Man
Snake/Lucario
Boring if true.

I don't think we've factored this in yet. There are people who went through that data, and it's possible that they sent the best arguments straight to Sakurai for consideration.
Here’s another one for you:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423506279

So, i'm here to say more things about the coming Nintendo Direct and the past leak.

-Yoshi's Wolly World: Flip isnt his name, the creator of the leak just invented it, but yes the yoshi game will reveal his name on the direct (His name has the word ''flip...'' lol)

-There will be a Star Fox racing game on the sky, no name has been show.

-Nintendo will colaborate with Valve, the 2 characters that will be announcent for smash on the direct will be Chell and Gordon Freeman
Gordon's habilty is to change weapons and attack with them, also has an easter egg from gmod.
Chell will use his Portal Gun.

-Also Portal 2 will be ported to the switch, but if you have Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion installed there will be an alternate version of the ending with chell using portals, also Agent 8 will be helping you inking gels on the ground

-GTA 5 with dlcs will be ported to the switch, similar to ps3 but with better shadows and 60fps, i think it's 720p

-I confirm DLC for mario odyssey

-Also i confirm that Simon Belmont will be on Smash

-and for final will be a surprise to Waluigi fans (not kidding lol). It's related with cars

-First trailer of Mario Kart Tour, releasing on IOS Android and Windows Store.

-No Animal Crossing.

-Metroid Prime 4 on 2019

-Fortnite colaboration with Nintendo, Xbox and Steam. Exclusive Splatoon and Zelda things on Fortnite. Also Cuddle Team Leader and a gun from Fortnite on Splatoon 2 via DLC.

Gordon ****ing Freeman and Chell, that’s a first for leaks

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think Isaac has a decent chance of being in this game overall, whether it be in the base roster or as DLC. I'd give him slightly better chances as DLC though.

Also, another "leak:"
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/423498870/#423498870
A friend of mine that works for Ninthendo of American has some inside information about the charters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Decidueye will be revealed during a July Nintendo Direct Mini.

Heihachi will be revealed at EVO 2018.

Steve will be revealed at MineCon Earth 2018.

Siomon will be revealed on Halloween.

King K. Roll will be revealed During a November Nintendo Direct.

Karate Joe will be revealed on a Smash Bros direct just days before the game releases.

In the Direct, we will be told Banjo-Kazooie is in development as a DLC charter, and DLC for the game will release through out the switches life time.

Chartes not revealed before lunch are Geno, Dixie Kong, Dark Samus, Chrom, Isabel, Tails, and Shadow.
And anotha' one:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423504856
Hello, I have multiple insiders at Nintendo and would like to share some information about Super Smash Brothers Ultimate with you.

In July, there will be a Nintendo Direct Mini that announces a few new games and a 1 new Smash character. This character is code named Pirate. This character has a long history with Nintendo but hasn't been very relevant until speculation for Smash Brawl and 4 started.

In the September Nintendo Direct, there will be 2 new characters announced. They are code named Foldable and Underground. In the direct, a new game starring Foldable will be announced for 2019, and a game that Underground makes a prominent appearance in will be given a release date and will be eShop exclusive.

In November there will be a Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Direct giving many details on the game before it's release in December. 2 final characters will be announced here, code named Explorer and Spirit. Explorer can travel to a lot of places on foot, but when going vertical, needs the help of a second entity. Spirit hasn't been seen for a long time, yet still has a huge fan-base. This character was decided on to capitalize on the theme of Ultimate, which was giving the fans exactly what they want.

That is all the news I have for now, but I will make a new post to update you when I get news of DLC. If you don't believe me, I understand. This is 4chan after all. But if you do believe me, you will be happy you did when the game comes out. If you don't believe me, at least you have something to solve. Goodbye for now.
More codenames. Fun.
For that second leak
Pirate = K. Rool
Foldable = Paper Mario
Underground = ?
Explorer = Captain Toad
Spirit = Geno

I really can’t figure out who underground might me referencing.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I do think Captain Toad's gotta get something even if not a playable character. It did pretty well sales-wise and the game it spun-off from was 4th in the list of best selling Wii U games. The only first party game that was on the Wii U not yet represented in some fashion that did better is Tropical Freeze which can easily be done with a Dixie Kong reveal at some point.

I'm not even sure we get a reveal at all come the day the Treasure Tracker port comes, I'm not even sure we get a reveal at all this month. I'm starting to feel like they may save newcomer reveals only for directs (Which I'm assuming the next one would be in August). But I'd like to be wrong.
Word of caution: That sales data uses VGCharts, which is known to be horribly unreliable. Currently the only official sales data we have is Media Create/Famitsu (Japanese sales) and Resetera's sales charts (which compiled data up to 2018), the latter of which has a different ranking for how well each game did and doesn't list Captain Toad as a million seller.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here’s another one for you:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423506279

So, i'm here to say more things about the coming Nintendo Direct and the past leak.

-Yoshi's Wolly World: Flip isnt his name, the creator of the leak just invented it, but yes the yoshi game will reveal his name on the direct (His name has the word ''flip...'' lol)

-There will be a Star Fox racing game on the sky, no name has been show.

-Nintendo will colaborate with Valve, the 2 characters that will be announcent for smash on the direct will be Chell and Gordon Freeman
Gordon's habilty is to change weapons and attack with them, also has an easter egg from gmod.
Chell will use his Portal Gun.

-Also Portal 2 will be ported to the switch, but if you have Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion installed there will be an alternate version of the ending with chell using portals, also Agent 8 will be helping you inking gels on the ground

-GTA 5 with dlcs will be ported to the switch, similar to ps3 but with better shadows and 60fps, i think it's 720p

-I confirm DLC for mario odyssey

-Also i confirm that Simon Belmont will be on Smash

-and for final will be a surprise to Waluigi fans (not kidding lol). It's related with cars

-First trailer of Mario Kart Tour, releasing on IOS Android and Windows Store.

-No Animal Crossing.

-Metroid Prime 4 on 2019

-Fortnite colaboration with Nintendo, Xbox and Steam. Exclusive Splatoon and Zelda things on Fortnite. Also Cuddle Team Leader and a gun from Fortnite on Splatoon 2 via DLC.

Gordon ****ing Freeman and Chell, that’s a first for leaks
:ultgreninja:'d me on that one. I've got another direct leak too:
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423508326
New Nintendo Direct on July 27th

>new Zelda will be on Switch, will be titled The Legend of Zelda Legacy of the Gods, will be a 2D style one similar to ALBW
>New Mario game titled New Super Mario Bros 3, will be similar to the previous New Super Mario Bros games
>Metroid Prime 4 news, announcing a release date of spring 2019
>more Smash news
>Simon Belmont, Shadow, and Dragonborn as newcomers. These are the final newcomers. Shadow will be an echo fighter
>new assist trophies that will premiere in the direct include Chibi- Robo, Sephiroth, Banjo and Kazooie, Rabbids. Raiden will also replace Gray Fox
>Tekken 7 will be getting a port to Switch
>Fallout 4 will be getting a port to Switch
>Star Fox Zero will also be ported to Switch and will have gyro controls with either the Switch or the Joy Cons
>Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival 2 will be announced
>Donkey Kong Country Jungle Jamboree, a new DKC game developed by Retro
>DKC game by rare
>Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival 2
T0dycFM.jpg

Another game again, since that Victory Fanfare leak gave me an idea.

What unique fanfares, if any, would you like for newcomers and even veterans who weren’t playable in the demo?

Wolf - as the leak suggested, even though it’s likely to be false, I’d like an edgier version of Fox and Falco’s victory theme for him, like Bowser, Bowser Jr. and Meta Knight do for their respective series. (Also, is Ridley’s fanfare remixed?)

K. Rool - see above, but with the DK victory theme

Simon Belmont - a snippet of Simon’s theme

Dr. Mario - snippet of the Dr. Mario theme song (it’s only fair)

Corrin - snippet of Lost In Thoughts All Alone (instrumental)

Rex & Pyra (and a potential Addam & Mythra echo) - Hunting Succeeded

Rhythm Heaven character - the jingle that plays at the screen just before you play a Remix in Rhythm Heaven Fever

Elma - snippet of THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:27 (or if they’re feeling generous, up to 4:46 and looping i love that song to bits ok)
I have a few:

-:ultganondorf: A more..... well, evil remix of the main LoZ victory theme. Or something else, I don't care. Just make it not sound so heroric. It always felt weird that Ganondorf used the heroric sounding LoZ main theme for his victory fanfare.

-:ultwolf: Yeah, I agree with ya. Egdy version of the main Star Fox victory fanfare or bust!

-Geno: A Forest Maze remix (like, something close to this one; keeps on playing after the results show up, like Cloud's victory theme)

-King K. Rool: More maniacal version of DK's victory theme, just as the fake leak says.

No pattern is weirdly the only pattern
There's one other pattern:

-Sakurai: This will be the last Smash game.

Then, a new smash game comes out.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Kinda bored of puzzle leaks but my big 200 iq brain says explorer is klonoa because he's known as the dream traveller and needs either an enemy to grab or popka to help him jump more than once (His "double jump" is just a float).

i know it's toad but i really want at least 1 leak to say klonoa's in there's gotta be at least 12 of us klonoa fans out here

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
:ultgreninja:'d me on that one. I've got another direct leak too:

>new Zelda will be on Switch, will be titled The Legend of Zelda Legacy of the Gods, will be a 2D style one similar to ALBW
>New Mario game titled New Super Mario Bros 3, will be similar to the previous New Super Mario Bros games
>more Smash news
>Simon Belmont, Shadow, and Dragonborn as newcomers. These are the final newcomers. Shadow will be an echo fighter
>new assist trophies that will premiere in the direct include Chibi- Robo, Sephiroth, Banjo and Kazooie, Rabbids. Raiden will also replace Gray Fox
>Star Fox Zero will also be ported to Switch and will have gyro controls with either the Switch or the Joy Cons
>DKC game by rare
>Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival 2
View attachment 152128
Gordon Freeman leaker might’ve screwed himself over. He said Valve was collaborating with Microsoft and Nintendo on Fortnite, but Fortnite is not on Steam.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Kinda bored of puzzle leaks but my big 200 iq brain says explorer is klonoa because he's known as the dream traveller and needs either an enemy to grab or popka to help him jump more than once (His "double jump" is just a float).

i know it's toad but i really want at least 1 leak to say klonoa's in there's gotta be at least 12 of us klonoa fans out here
Think about it, Klonoa and impossible dreams like this fit well together

blackghost

Smash Champion
this game as a bayo player i will need a secondary for snake. that mu will be awful. right now im thinking inkling.

are we done commenting on leaks? youtube are just cashing in on this stuff.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, all the leaks that say Dixie is an echo clearly don’t know DK. Even Sakurai noted that her hair was vital to her character. No way she’s one
Interesting. Do you have a reference for that?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

So soon after BotW? No.
Seems reasonable. Pretty safe guesses, tbh.
>more Smash news
Welp, I don't care about anything else, hope this is legit now.
lol, yeah right...
I can see them trying that, they did make a big deal of it and the WiiU just didn't sell. Then again, wasn't the 'dual-screen' control thing supposed to be the crux of the game? That'd require a decent rebuild...
...Isn't Retro going under? And you're trying to say that DK's getting a new game despite just rereleasing Tropical Freeze? Obvliusly because KKR has shot up in popularity, but then no Smash for him?

Oh, Dovahkiin...why can't you be in believable leaks? This does make two for him though...

Still, I've now got this great image of Simon Belmont and the Dragonborn adventuring together. Come on Smash, let's make this a reality!

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm not buying ANY leak until I see some legit proof. Too many fakes to stir our jimmies up

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh I did some research

Well I'm sure of you already know I figure out why Heihachi has ben added to rumors recently

Sakurai was highly considering him for smash 4 it was him or Pac-man he had no choice on Pac-man

Plus two reps from a company is a thing so

that's also explains the mii costume in smash 4 constellation prize purposes

So I'm sorry but now I see heihachi as a possible rep for dlc or base now

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
some characters we dont rly know that much about atm and pichu is one of them, likely gonna be better than in melee, but i imagine the devil is in the details and we need a playable pichu before knowing said details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom