• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We're at the point where most first party characters that get added would elicit a "Who?" reaction from the general audience.
All the big names that matter aside from Dixie, Toad and Waluigi are present.
Pretty much anyone else aside from a Pokemon is going to be a relative unknown to most people.

Lucina to people who don't play FE?
Considering how she's become a face for the series she's not exactly a great example in this instance but otherwise yeah.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
It's always nice to see people who appriciate the best mon of all.
Controversial opinion: Chandelure would be one of my top 5 wanted Pokemon as playable although I know it's never likely to happen. Pokken Chandelure is just a perfect embodiment of an odd fighter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, we've talked a lot about characters from popular/recent series we think are likely, but how about talking about the more obscure?

What characters from series not yet in Smash, or characters from more minor series do you expect, if any? Or just really odd, out-there picks you wouldn't expect to see, à la Wii Fit Trainer or Ice Climbers.
I think this would be an interesting discussion, since the opinions are most likely a lot more divided on this matter.

Personally, before the reveal I expected to see something from Snipperclips (despite not having any experience with the game myself). It felt like the sort of out-there thing that could easily be pulled from. There is a song from the game in Ultimate, maybe there is a stage to follow? Either way, I had my one correct prediction for this game, so I'd like to retire as undefeated champion of predictions.
It was easy to predict Wii Fit content, that game was insanely popular.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Also ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ I actually love your Signature.
Zelda is a pure child that we must protec
I see you're a man of culture as well.

When Tingle gets chosen as a fighter, Tingle will be replaced by Alphonzo .
Ahhehheh, I wish.

I wonder though, will this mean we'll see two Tingles from different eras in the same game?

Though it'd be not that impossible, since in Sm4sh you can have Tom Nook be present in Animal Crossing-stages while you summon him for Villager's Final Smash. :drwtf:

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Updated my roster a bit from yesterday. I myself think it might be too big now, but eh.

Smash Ultimate w-Newcomers Roster.png

From yesterday, I updated my roster with a new K.Rool icon as well as a new Dillon icon. I also added 2 more Newcomer icons for speculative pleasure!

Who are your five that you would add to this roster?

Troykv

Smash Master
I also have a random fun game! out of your favorite series in smash, what's the most unlikely character you want in it?
Gooey for me.
My favorite series is Fire Emblem (well; outside of Smash itself); and... well.. the only character I personally want is Micaiah xD

Micaiah for Smash BTW

__

Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
:ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultkirby::ultvillager::ultmario::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultyounglink:

Pokémon always gets new characters; not matter the consequences (if we don't get a New Pokémon I'll be legit surprised)

Donkey Kong (K. Rool and Dixie) and Xenoblade (Elma) are in good position to get new characters.

Kirby (Bandana Dee) and Animal Crossing (Isabelle) have new rising stars still waiting to be recognized in Smash.

Mario (Many choices), Metroid (only really Dark Samus) and Fire Emblem (Chrom or some other surprise popular pick?) are wild cards; they would get additional characters; but we don't have any signal in particular.

TLOZ will need a miracle to get a new character.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Updated my roster a bit from yesterday. I myself think it might be too big now, but eh.

View attachment 151859

From yesterday, I updated my roster with a new K.Rool icon as well as a new Dillon icon. I also added 2 more Newcomer icons for speculative pleasure!

We talking just wants or speculation?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

View attachment 151859

Elma, Bandana Dee, RH rep, Addam and Mythra (R&P echo), aaaaaaand I guess Decidueye

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 151859

If you mean which 5 likely characters, then I'd say:
  1. Geno
  2. Ashley
  3. Gen 7 Pokemon (Decidueye, Incineroar, or Mimikyu)
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Elma
If it's for 5 wanted characters, then I'd go with:
  1. Duh-cidueye
  2. Bandana Dee
  3. Rayman
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. Crash Bandicoot
These 5 along with Isaac, K. Rool, Ridley and every veteran would make this the best Smash for me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so...
While Tails is capable of using the Spin Dash. He lacks spikes, so any attack that Sonic performs in Smash that uses spikes (example: the aforementioned up-throw) is off the table.

In almost all of Tails' appearances, he is shown flying using his tails, in the games with Co-Op modes (Sonic 3, Sonic 4.2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Advance 3), he is shown to be able to carry people (usually Sonic) while flying.

In Sonic Battle, Tails can use a robotic boxing glove on an extending arm to attack (it's weird, I know), while also having a small "Chu-Bomb", based on the Chu-Chu Rocket games.

In Sonic Heroes, he has an attack called Thunder Shoot, which allows him to 'fire' carried allies at enemies. In Sonic '06, he uses an item called the "Dummy Ring Bomb", which is exactly what it sounds like, he throws fake rings that explode.

There's also Tails Adventure for the Sega Game Gear (one of Tails' earliest appearances), he has actual (cartoon) bombs, along with a small robot helper that has a few uses of it's own that I can't immediately recall right now. I believe he also has a Drill in that game, too?

Finally, in Sonic Adventure, not only can Tails fly like usual, but he can also use his tails to attack by spinning, he also does this in the Sonic Advance trilogy.

I believe this is a comprehensive list of everything Tails can do off the top of my head.
I'd also cover Shadow's capabilities, but he wasn't asked about.
In Tails Adventure, his drill machine is a mini-submarine called the Sea Fox.

View attachment 151859

Mach Rider
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
Shantae
Rayman

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

View attachment 151859

Isaac, Chrom and Dixie's covered already. (Echo though, blegh.)

But by wants:

1 - Captain Toad

2 - Bandanna Dee

3 - Rhythm Heaven Rep (Chorus Kids or Karate Joe)
/

4 - Rayman

5 - Lip

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I seriously struggle to make a list of 5 likely characters. I don't like making my list have more than one 3rd party. All I can do is pick out the obvious popular ones and even then the only character left that I truly want is Ashley. If you include 3rd party then Banjo & Kazooie to a lesser extent. There's probably several characters I really want that I'm not aware of yet, but as of now I'm almost 100% satisfied.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
On that topic earlier of balancing for competitive play vs. balancing for FFAs, I would like to point out that despite Smash's reputation of trying to "balance for everything" with little care of competitive play, Smash 4's balance patches were nearly entirely focused on competitive play. Nearly all the real nerfs were to characters considered top/high tier and moves considered to be too OP, while the characters considered low/bottom tier received considerable buffs throughout the patching (with only Dedede and Jigglypuff slipping through the cracks) and in the process the gap between top and bottom tier was made a lot smaller than it ever been in Smash in addition to a few more serious tournament threats being made, and mid tiers even got buffs that people were vocal about (e.g. Greninja repeatedly getting all those buffs after the ****ty baseless "better nerf Greninja" wouldn't die). There were also changes made specifically for competitive doubles, namely the nerfs to friendly fire absorption with Oil Panic, PSI Magnent, and Pocket, alongside the significant knockback nerf to aerial Finishing Touch (though unfortunately that would later prove not enough to stop Cloud from dominating doubles).

Combine that with the clear Esports/competitive influence Smash Ultimate has, and it appears it will be getting a stronger focus on competitive balance than what was expected from prior Smash games.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

View attachment 151859

Looks good. If one of those slots was Dovahkiin, this’d be a perfect roster.

Aside from him, I honestly don’t need anyone else. If I had full decision-making power, one should be a Pokémon, and Decidueye looks most fun for me. I’d do a Zelda character - Urbosa would be best, but she’d be weird without the other champions. Skull Kid would be cool though. Tails would be great, and a fun nod to that April Fool’s hoax from the Melee, and then Ashley or Isabelle since they’re exceptionally popular now.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Okay, we've talked a lot about characters from popular/recent series we think are likely, but how about talking about the more obscure?

What characters from series not yet in Smash, or characters from more minor series do you expect, if any? Or just really odd, out-there picks you wouldn't expect to see, à la Wii Fit Trainer or Ice Climbers.
I think this would be an interesting discussion, since the opinions are most likely a lot more divided on this matter.

Personally, before the reveal I expected to see something from Snipperclips (despite not having any experience with the game myself). It felt like the sort of out-there thing that could easily be pulled from. There is a song from the game in Ultimate, maybe there is a stage to follow? Either way, I had my one correct prediction for this game, so I'd like to retire as undefeated champion of predictions.

You didn't say it had to be a Nintendo character.
All joking aside though. This is my favorite non-nintendo character in gaming. He's just so...trippy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

In terms of out-there choices I wouldn't expect much, there's Foreman Spike.

Yes, he hasn't been in a game since '98, and yet he still would get in over Waluigi somehow.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I personally don't think Impa has enough star power, or unique potential to warrant an inclusion as a unique fighter, but I do think she has enough going for her to warrant an inclusion as an Echo Fighter.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
We better get a proper Dark Meta Knight costume this time.
I really doubt it, that would go against the reason why Sakurai made Dark Pit a character and not a costume.

And Dark MK will not be a character, so, Meta Knight will probably have a skin that looks kinda similar to Dark Meta Knight, but not the same, again.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hey guys, do yo-
We better get a proper Dark Meta Knight costume this time.
Hey, I was going to talk about this!

So, apparantly, the Dark Meta Knight costume may have been revealed, with habvign the scar and all, however, the only "source" I could find is in the triva section of this page.

http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Meta_Knight

And while I first I could see someone having false information. I did found a new image of Meta Knight's Galact Knight that isn't on the main website on the SmashWiki, suggesting that more images were found outside the Smashbros website.

So, while it may be a hoax, try to search around for Dark Meta Knight screenshot.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 151859

My want's are:
(In order of most to least wanted)
Elma
Bandana Dee
Shantae
Marx
Rex&Pyra

Marx, Shantae, and Rex&Pyra are very unlikely, especially R&P, but I think they'd be cool, and R&P are probably going to be DLC anyway

Most likely:
(In order of most likely to least likely)
Elma
K. Rool
Ashley
Simon
Isaac

To me Simon and Isaac don't seem quite as likely as the first three, but they still seem possible

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I really doubt it, that would go against the reason why Sakurai made Dark Pit a character and not a costume.

And Dark MK will not be a character, so, Meta Knight will probably have a skin that looks kinda similar to Dark Meta Knight, but not the same, again.
i still don't get this considering alph and the koopalings are costumes

i swear sometimes even sakurai's own arbitrary rules don't make sense to himself.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

View attachment 151859

My top five would be the following:
1.) Rayman- I feel like a limbless fighter would have a lot of potential. Plus, Rayman would just be a funny character to add to Smash. There's not a lot of characters quite like him.
2.) Chorus Men- After playing through the Megamix demo, I really want to see a RH character get in.
3.) Heihachi- Although I'm not a fan of the Tekken series, I can still recognize that Tekken is one of the last big name Japanese third parties yet to be in Smash and considering that Namco has developed both Pokken and Ultimate, I find Heihachi's inclusion to be a matter of when, not if.
4.) Mach Rider- I feel like a vehicle based fighter that focuses on aggression would be a nice take on the mech archetype. Plus, it never hurts to have an old school fighter come along.
5.) Banjo-Kazooie- Banjo may be the Geno of Microsoft characters considering how much less significant he is compared to Master Chief and Steve, but I don't care. Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie were my favorite games on the N64 and seeing these two make a brief return to Nintendo would be a dream come true.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:081:

i swear sometimes even sakurai's own arbitrary rules don't make sense to himself.
Koopalings make sense, are you really going to make 7 other clones of Bowser Jr.?
Alph is just suffering though.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

You all know who I'd pick:

With Okami HD releasing on August 9, I think it's possible that a Nintendo Direct would start around that time releasing Okami and possibly revealing her as a character. I believe It would be an unexpected yet welcomed choice for a character which Sakurai is know to do at times. I myself don't think she obscure per say, but I won't delude myself into thinking everyone else has heard of her.

She's been in a thing outside of Okami too like MvC3, a Palico costume in Monster Hunter Generations and even appeared in Archie Comic's Worlds Unite, and a courier for Dota 2.

The main reason I want her as a newcomer is because I think an ink mechanic that differs from Inklings, and a weapon change mechanic would be a new and fun playstyle for Smash. Plus I like wolves and I can't think of a more popular Wolf than Amaterasu. *Throws Wolf Link a Frisbee to distract him*.

But you've probably heard me say this sooooo many times that you probably think I'm a broken record *scratch* broken record *scratch* broken record. So let's switch things up. I would like to hear how would you feel if Amaterasu was newcomer in Ultimate? Whether you'd love if she made it in, just feel okay, dislike her or even abstain cause your not familiar with the game or you have no interest.

However you feel is fine, I just want to hear some feedback if your willing to.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Sakurai never said Dark Pit can't be a costume.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
His tail sounds like a whip in Ultimate...

... wait a second, they added whip sound effects to the game?
Simon Belmont confirmed.
Certain 3rd party fighters do have their own unique hitbox sound effects that no one else uses, which is the case for Solid Snake, Ryu, and Cloud Strife. However, the whip sound might not confirm any Castlevania representation, as the punch sound effect could simply just sound like a whip.

Also, hitbox sound effects can change between Smash Bros. installments, as the kick sound effect is different between Brawl and Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Certain 3rd party fighters do have their own unique hitbox sound effects that no one else uses, which is the case for Solid Snake, Ryu, and Cloud Strife. However, the whip sound might not confirm any Castlevania representation, as the punch sound effect could simply just sound like a whip.

Also, hitbox sound effects can change between Smash Bros. installments, as the kick sound effect is different between Brawl and Smash 3DS / Wii U.
Yeah, it was a joke.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Always neat, considering Daroarch is secretly my 4th wanted Kirby character...always liked his design and he looks like he ould have a cool moveset. Very unlikely to make smash though, especially not over Bandana dee

osby

Smash Obsessed
where's the quote on this Dark Pit stuff anyways

also... dark meta knight could easily be an echo. do I think he'll make it in as one? probably not. is it possible? sure I guess.
From Source Gaming:
"Lucina is Marth but with different properties on her sword. Dark Pit is nearly identical to Pit, but his side-B and Final Smash are different, so they ended up becoming separate character records."

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
another quick thing on the subject of alt costumes: as someone who's been around long enough, people have this habit of taking whatever thing Sakurai wrote 8 years ago on a napkin and applying it at face value. It's very possible for him to change his mind. Like, Dark Samus had a more proper costume last time with Smash Wii U and we've seen other costumes over the year that try to cover more ground for each character. Heck, the Galacta Knight one is looking a lot closer than Smash Wii U's Galacta Knight.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
From Source Gaming:
"Lucina is Marth but with different properties on her sword. Dark Pit is nearly identical to Pit, but his side-B and Final Smash are different, so they ended up becoming separate character records."
Thank you. see that's a more sensible quote. I'm sure if he had a seperate idea for Alph he'd probably make that a seperate playable character record too.

So it all depends on whether they forget Dark Meta Knight, they makes a costume, or make an echo. Interesting.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Watch, all this speculation on who’ll be an echo.

And we just get Dark Samus and Dark Meta Knight

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
another quick thing on the subject of alt costumes: as someone who's been around long enough, people have this habit of taking whatever thing Sakurai wrote 8 years ago on a napkin and applying it at face value. It's very possible for him to change his mind. Like, Dark Samus had a more proper costume last time with Smash Wii U and we've seen other costumes over the year that try to cover more ground for each character. Heck, the Galacta Knight one is looking a lot closer than Smash Wii U's Galacta Knight.
Yeah, I can understand that frankly. Kind of like how some 8 year old things Sakurai said may not have relavancy now, is just like how some 8 year old video game might not have relavancy now

osby

Smash Obsessed
Thank you. see that's a more sensible quote. I'm sure if he had a seperate idea for Alph he'd probably make that a seperate playable character record too.

So it all depends on whether they forget Dark Meta Knight, they makes a costume, or make an echo. Interesting.
I can't find them now but if I recall correctly, some data mines suggests that Rock Pikmin might be planned for last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom