• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Highly unlikely.

But cool theory bro.
Thank my man Champ Gold Champ Gold . He wanted me to share it. :p
The Champions will be assist trophies and that's it.
Do not assume things so quickly. Maybe one can get in.
BOTW was game of the year in 2017 and is the most brought Nintendo Switch game. Surely we will get at least one newcomer from BOTW.
Or maybe even something different from BOTW to highlight The Legend of Zelda more.

Last edited by a moderator:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I also have a random fun game! out of your favorite series in smash, what's the most unlikely character you want in it?
Gooey for me.
Originally it was Mario, and the character was Rosalina.

.....welp. I guess now it would be Prof. E. Gadd for that role.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
CHALLENGE

Pick 10 Songs that should be remixed, & 10 composers that should remix them
Oh damn, idk if I can do the composer part but I can certainly name some songs I want remixed, in no particular order.

Mind of a Thief (Mother 3)
Body Rock (WarioWare DIY)
Karate Man/Struck by the Rain (Rhythm Heaven)
Sand Canyon 3 (Kirby's Dream Land 3)
Sanctuary Guardian (Earthbound)
Silly Science A (Snipperclips)
Hyrule Castle (A Link to the Past)
Upper Brinstar (Super Metroid)
K.K. House (Animal Crossing) - They should just copy paste this remix honestly, it's official after all
Fortuna (Star Fox)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I shared that Brawl in the Family comic twice in NintenZone to talk about Adeleine in Smash Bros.
Good times. :lol:

Considering BOTW is now out and it is the most bought Zelda game ever, the Legend of Zelda series is more likely to get a newcomer.
But we already got its Link.

We have the main character, and Zelda is from another game, who else left to make a fighter?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But we already got its Link.

We have the main character, and Zelda is from another game, who else left to make a fighter?
Impa, that's who.

They could throw BOTW a bone and give her the magic attacks from the Sheikah Slate as well. No matter what incarnation she's in. Master Kohga also used Magnesis without a Sheikah Slate, surely the Sheikah's leader could do the same at the very least.

D

Deleted member

*Speaks in a fancy attractive British accent*
"Are you forgetting about any of the potential champions? Hmm? They were an important role in the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game."

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Do not assume things so quickly. Maybe one can get in.
Why give one special treatment though?

Maybe there's the tiniest bit of chance for Skull Kid right now but I expect him to be confirmed as a NEVER EVER assist trophy again sooner or later.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
"Are you forgetting about any of the potential champions? Hmm? They were an important role in the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game."
Since we have Toon Link and Young Link, I would've loved a new move set for Link that used the Champions powers

osby

Smash Obsessed
Impa, that's who.

They could throw BOTW a bone and give her the magic attacks from the Sheikah Slate as well. No matter what incarnation she's in. Master Kohga also used Magnesis without a Sheikah Slate, surely the Sheikah's leader could do the same at the very least.
Wasn't Impa a old lady in that game?

Wait... now I want to see her fighting, not her younger versions.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
Hmm

If Echo Clones:

:ultdk::ultsamus::ultvillager::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultkirby::ultshulk::ultmario::ultmarth:

If No Echo Clones:

:ultdk::ultvillager::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultlink::ultmario::ultmarth::ultsamus:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Aside from Mario, which I feel Captain Toad could count as the unlikely character from it at this point, I'd probably second your answer; freaking love Gooey. He's probably my favourite Kirby character alongside Bandana Dee. Just such a simple and goofy design I can't help but smile whenever I see his big dumb googly face.

Following that probably Vaati from Legend of Zelda, who is my favourite villain and also sadly one of the few major characters to not get a playable Hyrule Warriors role!
You have quality taste. Gooey is the best. I'm a amiibo collector, and if they ever made amiibo of the dream friends, i'd buy gooey in a heartbeat.

Hell, I don't think there's even any logic in not picking her. She's a very popular and relevant character, she hasn't had a history of being rejected like Toad or Waddle Dee and its obvious that Sakurai can make a moveset for her if he can make one for characters like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt.

She's on such a completely different level of importance and star power compared to commonly suggested newcomers like K. Rool, Dixie Kong, a Rhythm Heaven Rep and Elma that its comical how under the radar she is among hardcore Smashers.
Kind of starting to feel like Isabelle has better chances than I thought, and you have some good evidence. I'd love Isabelle in smash. New Leaf was my first Nintendo game, and Animal Crossing holds a soft place in my heart.

Banjo Kazooie :'(

Actually Bubsy. I know his game is garbage, but I LOVED Bubsy on my Sega Genesis, and I think he could be an incredibly fun and silly character. (But he would NEVER get in Smash)
His final smash is making all his hitboxes bigger than they should be.

Also ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ I actually love your Signature.
Zelda is a pure child that we must protec

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Beedle is the Zelda character we need.

"With great merchandise, comes great responsibility."

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
CHALLENGE

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the composers to do it justice but for the songs...
Is my blatant Dark Matter bias showing?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I also have a random fun game! out of your favorite series in smash, what's the most unlikely character you want in it?
Gooey for me.
Zelda is my favorite series, and obviously Impa is my most wanted newcomer from it. But she actually has a chance.

Out of the characters that will never ever appear, I'd love Zant from Twilight Princess. Those scimitars. That crazed movement. Plus I just love him as a character

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
As much as i would love a champion in the game like daddy daruk. or Falco No. 2, I don't think it'll happen for one main reason. You can't just have one champion without the other 3. But if Nintendo can work around this. I'm all up for this idea.

Also btw Nintendo, set the Groose loose.
We need Groose as a playable fighter
I'm kidding don't hurt me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
WERE the champions important?

As far as I'm aware, they got beat up by Ganon, died, and then became part of optional dungeons that make the final boss fight easier.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
WERE the champions important?

As far as I'm aware, they got beat up by Ganon, died, and then became part of optional dungeons that make the final boss fight easier.
They we're also close friends of link, and they just add onto some lore.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
Alright:
:ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultdk::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultkirby::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmario:
Pokémon is very likely for a newcomer either from Gen 3 or Gen 7.

Xenoblade has the timing down for newcomers in either the base roster or DLC.

Donkey Kong is overdue for a new character, and their latest game Tropical Freeze would be helpful in revealing one.

I know Fire Emblem is bit high on the list, but it's for good reason. With FE Heroes being one of Nintendo's most successful mobile games, And FE Three Houses coming later this year, I don't think IS would pass up the opportunity to put a newcomer in Smash. There's a good chance we could get 1-2 characters on the base roster if not DLC.

AC getting at least one more rep makes sense, and who better than Isabelle.

Tied with AC, Kirby is likely for a new rep due to it's not too long release of All-Stars.

I can see Zelda getting one more character. Either a Champion from BOTW or an echo character.

I don't see either Metroid or Mario getting another character, but the chance for one could be there and I could be wrong.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
I think Tingle-support thread had already noted this. Comes also bit bumming time to me because lately I had revisited Tingle's Roseful Rupeeland. :dizzy:
When Tingle gets chosen as a fighter, Tingle will be replaced by Alphonzo .

"Leave it to me"

It would be lovely to see Beedle as a joke fighter though, he can use items from his big shopping bag, being a heavy character. :p "Heeeaaayyy.." as a taunt :p

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They we're also close friends of link, and they just add onto some lore.
I think that's my main issue with BOTW.
So much of the game's story content is just lore, so the actual plot of the game is literally just "beat Ganon, Save Zelda" with tons of tiny little sidequests.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So much of the game's story content is just lore, so the actual plot of the game is literally just "beat Ganon, Save Zelda" with tons of tiny little sidequests.
Well, it wasn't just beat Ganon, Save Zelda. You also gotta go through all the village, beat the divine beasts, but either way. It's still a fun and interesting game in my opinion.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Yeah seems like they compromised the story (well not that TLOZ was ever truly great on that front) for the open world aspect. Sidequest are good though, it makes the world seem more 'alive' and fleshed out.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
As much as I loved BotW, that did kind of hurt the replayability for me

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

My order is this:
:ultshulk::ultpikachu::ultdk::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmarth:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Idon Idon You are right, but a game doesn't need a long main story to be a good game.
Replayability is more where the game shines. Loads of side quests, exploring the worlds, Dlc. etc.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I really don't see Impa as that likely/important. She's around a lot, but I don't think anyone outside of Zelda die-hards would even know who she is.

For example, before I'd ever played a LoZ game, I knew who Skull Kid was. That mask is iconic in gaming. Impa? No idea. It was more so Smash Speculation than anything else that made me aware of who she was.

I think MAYBE Skull Kid's notoriety and the timing of the 3D remake could make him possible, but I'm not holding my breath for a Zelda newcomer at all.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I really don't see Impa as that likely/important. She's around a lot, but I don't think anyone outside of Zelda die-hards would even know who she is.

For example, before I'd ever played a LoZ game, I knew who Skull Kid was. That mask is iconic in gaming. Impa? No idea. It was more so Smash Speculation than anything else that made me aware of who she was.

I think MAYBE Skull Kid's notoriety and the timing of the 3D remake could make him possible, but I'm not holding my breath for a Zelda newcomer at all.
I mean you could make that argument for a lot of characters. Is Wolf iconic to people who don't play Star Fox? Roy or Lucina to people who don't play FE?

Just because a character isn't iconic doesn't mean they're not important to their series. Impa has appeared in like 6 Zelda games and 1 spinoff, usually playing major roles (BoTW, OoT, SS, HW). After Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf, she is essentially the next most important character to the overall lore.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Pre Skyward Sword I'd have agreed, and post Hyrule Warriors I genuinely think she's become a much bigger name. That game did wonders for her having her as the second unlocked character and as such appearing in plenty of early screenshots and showcases for two player mode.

That said, I do agree that Skull Kid is a much more iconic character, mostly due to Impa's role being relatively minor compared to major antagonist Skull Kid and her ever changing looks meaning she can't nail down an iconic look.

Although I suddenly realised I had absolutely no idea what Skull Kid even looked like without that damn mask on. His face is ironically not iconic despite his name, body and role in his game as a result.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

CHALLENGE

I'm not knowledgeable about composers, but i would love remixes of the following songs (in no particular order) -
  1. Battle at the Summit
  2. Hyper Zone 2
  3. Mind in a PROGRAM
  4. Jib Jig
  5. Crocodile Cacophony
  6. High Above the Land
  7. Dusk Falls
  8. Porky Means Buisness!
  9. Run, My Dog, Run! (Haven't even completed the first half of Mother 3 but I love this song anyway)
  10. Bloody Tears
Gooey for me.
I lowkey want Chandelure because it's my favorite Pokemon.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The more day pass, the more I need to play Shulk. Since landing lag have been reduced across the cast, and that Shulk number 1 problem was that all of his aerial had horrible landing lag (especially his back air), if he get the same treatement as everyone else, along with Monado Art being easier to use + 3 jumpsquat & Cloud getting nerf, I feel like Monado Boy will be better than ever. (even if some buff here and there would help too)

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
When it comes to third-parties and Pokemon characters? Sure. Otherwise Sakurai has the final say on Nintendo characters. As shown here and here

None of those characters are promotional characters. Daisy has nothing to promote that isn't covered by Mario himself and he sure isn't a promotional character. Same deal with Ridley since Samus alone is already enough to "promote" her entire franchise so in that regard, Ridley serves no advertisement purposes.

And just like the Inklings, he isn't even based off the latest game in his franchise with Samus Returns and Splatoon 2 barely having any content in Ultimate. How are you supposed to promote upcoming games if you don't even try to use Smash to represent and remind players that those games exists?

The only characters that ever got in order to promote an upcoming are :ultcorrin: and :ultroy: (and the latter only got considered because he was a feasible last-minute addition, so promoting an upcoming game wasn't even a priority for Melee).
I think an important distinction that has to be made, is while Sakurai has the final say on the roster and no one forces him to include a character, he does take input. He does discuss with Nintendo on which characters to include, as well as with the individual creators themselves, and from examples we know of, Corrin came to be after discussing the promotional DLC pick with higherups at Nintendo, and Ike came to be when Sakurai discussed with Intelligent Systems on which new Fire Emblem character to add to Brawl that would fit his preconceived "Mighty Glacier Swordsman" moveset. However since he does have the final say, he can reject character ideas received from such input, like when he rejected Miyamoto suggesting Pac-Man for Brawl, and would have rejected Pac-Man again in Smash 4 if Bamco tried forcing him to use Pac-Man's Ghostly Adventures design.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm not knowledgeable about composers, but i would love remixes of the following songs (in no particular order) -
  1. Battle at the Summit
  2. Hyper Zone 2
  3. Mind in a PROGRAM
  4. Jib Jig
  5. Crocodile Cacophony
  6. High Above the Land
  7. Dusk Falls
  8. Porky Means Buisness!
  9. Run, My Dog, Run! (Haven't even completed the first half of Mother 3 but I love this song anyway)
  10. Bloody Tears

Chandelure is best Pokemon. I was super surprised/stoked when he was in Pokken. I would love him in Smash

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
The same could be said about Ridley... or literally anybody in the Fire Emblem cast. At least Impa is a recurring character.
That's fair.

Just because a character isn't iconic doesn't mean they're not important to their series. Impa has appeared in like 6 Zelda games and 1 spinoff, usually playing major roles (BoTW, OoT, SS, HW). After Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf, she is essentially the next most important character to the overall lore.
Also fair. I just think there's probably others that hit that sweet-spot of relevant and notable a little more closely than her.

Pre Skyward Sword I'd have agreed, and post Hyrule Warriors I genuinely think she's become a much bigger name. That game did wonders for her having her as the second unlocked character and as such appearing in plenty of early screenshots and showcases for two player mode.

That said, I do agree that Skull Kid is a much more iconic character, mostly due to Impa's role being relatively minor compared to major antagonist Skull Kid and her ever changing looks meaning she can't nail down an iconic look.

Although I suddenly realised I had absolutely no idea what Skull Kid even looked like without that damn mask on. His face is ironically not iconic despite his name, body and role in his game as a result.
Yeah, it's really more the mask itself that is iconic. I suppose they could just go for it's final form as a playable character :laugh:

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Okay, we've talked a lot about characters from popular/recent series we think are likely, but how about talking about the more obscure?

What characters from series not yet in Smash, or characters from more minor series do you expect, if any? Or just really odd, out-there picks you wouldn't expect to see, à la Wii Fit Trainer or Ice Climbers.
I think this would be an interesting discussion, since the opinions are most likely a lot more divided on this matter.

Personally, before the reveal I expected to see something from Snipperclips (despite not having any experience with the game myself). It felt like the sort of out-there thing that could easily be pulled from. There is a song from the game in Ultimate, maybe there is a stage to follow? Either way, I had my one correct prediction for this game, so I'd like to retire as undefeated champion of predictions.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Ah, I see you are a man of culture.

The more day pass, the more I need to play Shulk. Since landing lag have been reduced across the cast, and that Shulk number 1 problem was that all of his aerial had horrible landing lag (especially his back air), if he get the same treatement as everyone else, along with Monado Art being easier to use + 3 jumpsquat & Cloud getting nerf, I feel like Monado Boy will be better than ever. (even if some buff here and there would help too)
Same, Shulk was actually my most used character in Smash 4 by a longshot. I'm also really looking forward to PT.

I've gotta get used to the new Monado Art switching, and the Pokemon switching as well.

D

Deleted member

Chandelure is best Pokemon. I was super surprised/stoked when he was in Pokken. I would love him in Smash
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
It's always nice to see people who appriciate the best mon of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom