• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Event match ideas? I'll bite!

:ultmario: vs. :ultsonic: vs. :ultmegaman: vs. :ultpacman:vs. :ultryu: vs. :ultsnake: vs. :ultcloud: vs. :ultbayonetta: (could always add Simon in if he's in the game)

:ultpokemontrainer: vs. :ultmewtwo: (Stamina Match)

P1 vs. :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpalutena::ultzelda::ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling::ultzss::ultrosalina::ultlucina::ultbayonetta:

:ultganondorf: vs. :ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: (Triforce heroes!)

:ultsonic: running on Adventure Mode Big Blue stage (similar to Melee!)

:ultbayonetta: vs. :ultpit::ultdarkpit: (multi man style, 1 vs 30, different color skins etc...)

:ultsamus:/:ultzss: vs. Giant :ultridley: (2 stock vs 1 stock. If you lose a stock, you respawn as :ultzss:)

:ultzelda::ultlink: vs. :ultganondorf: (You only win by using Zelda's final smash on Ganondorf, sealing him away)

:ultcloud::ultdaisy: vs. :ultike: (based on Sephiroth killing Aerith. Ike targets Daisy, and Daisy will not attack back. One Winged Angel will play)

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
There is nothing cringy about Sonic besides Big the Cat and the fact that Amy is 12 years old...all those years thinking she was a 15-16 year old warrior
Gonna have to say I’m in the same boat as some others when they say they like Big. As dimwitted and dopey as he is, he’s also still a love able fluff ball.

I never liked Duke Nukem Big. His voice is a lot more tolerable in Japanese.

And at least he doesn't have fishing levels in Heroes.

I don't think it's ever been stated by SEGA that the speed comes from the shoes, he still has to be fast enough to react and move his legs at Mach speeds, y'know? Shadow was alright in Battle, he seems to actually care about people in that game and warns everyone against letting Emerl come into contact with a Chaos Emerald, he flat out says he doesn't want anyone else to go through what he went through. He comes around once he founds out Emerl is a good guy and even starts training him and giving him advice. He's also really good friends with Rouge in that game, He even crashed at Rouge's house after he got beat up by a bunch of Not! Gamma's.
I think the speed from his shoes was in the Rivals manual.

Edit: Sorry about the double post.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
In regards to Yoshi, I think his tail attacks should be making a punch sound effect with their hitboxes; the kick sound effect doesn't sound right, since Yoshi's tail is nowhere near as long, or as heavy as Charizard's tail.
His tail sounds like a whip in Ultimate...

... wait a second, they added whip sound effects to the game?
Simon Belmont confirmed.

domriver

Smash Lord
I just read some wiki fandom regarding Earthbound series and um WHY ARE THESE GAMES NOT AVAILABLE HERE IN THE USA? The series sound good and interesting. Kinda on the dark side in my opinion. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't mind creating a "M" rated game. Can Earthbound be a M? or more like T-15+ game.
To keep things smash related. Porky for Ultimate! With his mech would be nice.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
:ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultsamus::ultmario::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultlink:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:
:ultdk::ultshulk::ultkirby::ultmario::ultlink::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultpikachu::ultmarth:

Counting echoes, otherwise move Zelda and Metroid down to the bottom with Fire Emblem.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

:ultdk::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultmario::ultkirby::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmarth:

Pakky

Smash Hero

1530889101121.gif
:ultpikachu:
:ultdk:
:ultkirby:
:ultshulk:
:ultmario:
:ultlink:
:ultmarth:
:ultsamus:
:ultvillager:

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown

Considering only newcomers (not echoes):
:ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultmarth::ultmario::ultdk::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultlink::ultsamus:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
:ultganondorf: vs :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultlink: Truly defeat the Hero of Legend
:ultbayonetta: vs :ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena: Angelic Beatdown
:ultryu: vs :ultganondorf: Satsui-No-Hado (Ganondorf stands in for Akuma)
:ultmarth::ultlucina: vs :ultcorrin::ultridley::ultrobin:4charizard: Seal the Dragons
:ultsnake: vs :ultinkling::ultmewtwo::ultdarkpit::ultwolf::ultfox::ultcorrin: Snake vs FOXHOUND
:ultsnake:vs :ultrob::ultridley:(Meta alt):ultmegaman::ultbowserjr: Take down the new Metal Gear designs (On Gaur Plain so Metal face is here too, much like Shulk's event from Smash 4)
:ultpokemontrainer::ultpikachu::ultgreninja::ultlucario:vs :ultmewtwo: Capture Mewtwo (6 stocks vs a super powerful Mewtwo with 1 stock)
:4roy: vs :ultroy: Roy duel
:ultryu: vs :ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultsheik::ultlucario::ultsnake: World Warrior
:ultsamus: vs :ultfox::ultfalco::ultfalcon::ultwolf: vs :ultridley: Ridley is Samus' bounty, make sure she gets the kill.

What would formerly be a niche thing for a small community would be exposed to the general public. I can see it now, new people spouting almost 15 years worth of old memes, e-celebs and lets players streaming it. It sounds horrifying.
And more people getting into something is somehow a bad thing?
More exposure? More sales and interest?

That's a good thing. Every franchise has it's fair share of awful fans, some are just more obnoxious than others.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Gonna have to say I’m in the same boat as some others when they say they like Big. As dimwitted and dopey as he is, he’s also still a love able fluff ball.
True...but not as lovable as Eggman
I never liked Duke Nukem Big. His voice is a lot more tolerable in Japanese.
And at least he doesn't have fishing levels in Heroes.
True
:ultbayonetta: vs :ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena: Angelic Beatdown
:ultbayonetta: vs. :ultpit::ultdarkpit: (multi man style, 1 vs 30, different color skins etc...)
If it were Pit vs Bayo then I’d be all in...but those events are something I would never complete

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

:ultpikachu::ultvillager:>:ultkirby::ultwario:>:ultdk:>>:ultmario:>>>>>>:ultshulk:>>>>>>>:ultmarth::ultinkling::ultlink:>>>>>>>>>>>>:ultsamus:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:ultfalcon:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultmario::ultkirby::ultvillager::ultmarth::ultsamus::ultlink:
Still think a Pokemon newcomer is a given, be it Decidueye, Incineroar, or Mimikyu.
K. Rool seems very likely to me, Dixie less so.
Elma also seems super likely, while Rex and Pyra are shoo-in for DLC.
The only Mario newcomers I can see are Geno and maybe Captain Toad.
Bandana Dee is the only logical choice for a Kirby rep and I'd say he has a 50% chance of getting in.
Animal Crossing's only plausible newcomer seems to be Isabelle, who I don't see as very likely.
Fire Emblem really seems like it's taking a break this time around imo, since Sakurai did state that he felt there were too many. It's Echo Chrom or bust.
Dark Samus is probably the most overrated newcomer, in my opinion. I feel that she is going to be one of the victims of the next Great Assist Trophy Massacre... and she's the only remaining choice.
When I place a bet against something, it's because I seriously don't believe in it. Which is why I made a bet against a (unique) Zelda newcomer.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace

:ultshulk::ultvillager::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultmario::ultlink::ultmarth::ultsamus:
EDIT: Whoops forgot to add Link.

Last edited:

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.

:ultdk::ultkirby::ultmario::ultshulk::ultpikachu::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultlink::ultvillager:
  1. DK is most likely IMO due to King K Rool being extremely high on the ballot, and Dixie is also high on there.
  2. Kirby is very likely to get Bandanna Dee in Smash, I also think Marx or Adeleine are likely for DLC.
  3. Geno has been wanted by Sakurai for a long time, i think this game he has a shot.
  4. Xenoblade is getting pretty big now, i think Elma and/or Rex and Pyra could be added (with R/P being DLC)
  5. As popular as Pokemon is, we got three of them returning, Sakurai won't want to over saturate Pokemon i assume.
  6. Dark Samus IMO is a likely addition for an echo, Sylux is also somewhat likely for DLC.
  7. Chrom COULD be added as an echo, but i'm not too sure.
  8. I don't see any more TLoZ newcomers for this game seeing as every vet except :ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: have been redesigned and heavily changed.
  9. I don't see any new AC reps coming this time around.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
It says nothing about his speed.
Oof, well at least I thought it did. I only vaguely remember the manual say something about Shadow’s hover shoes.

True...but not as lovable as Eggman
I’m not going to deny that, Eggman is top tier. However, Big is the cute, huggable, and dopey lovable, different leagues, but Eggman’s still on top.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
:ultsnake: vs :ultinkling::ultmewtwo::ultdarkpit::ultwolf::ultfox::ultcorrin: Snake vs FOXHOUND
:ultsnake:vs :ultrob::ultridley:(Meta alt):ultmegaman::ultbowserjr: Take down the new Metal Gear designs (On Gaur Plain so Metal face is here too, much like Shulk's event from Smash 4)

:4roy: vs :ultroy: Roy duel
:ultryu: vs :ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultsheik::ultlucario::ultsnake: World Warrior

And more people getting into something is somehow a bad thing?
More exposure? More sales and interest?

That's a good thing. Every franchise has it's fair share of awful fans, some are just more obnoxious than others.

These events are great. nintendo needs you.

also, thank you i can't stand toxicity form some fans. "yeah fire emblem would be better off it had stayed in a small community." yep it would have died forgotten and alone and many would never get to experience it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just read some wiki fandom regarding Earthbound series and um WHY ARE THESE GAMES NOT AVAILABLE HERE IN THE USA? The series sound good and interesting. Kinda on the dark side in my opinion. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't mind creating a "M" rated game. Can Earthbound be a M? or more like T-15+ game.
To keep things smash related. Porky for Ultimate! With his mech would be nice.
But... 2 of the 3 games ARE available in the USA, the first one was added to the Wii U virtual console a while ago as it was finished but never released

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Mine is: :ultdk::ultkirby::ultshulk::ultpikachu::ultvillager::ultmario::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmarth:

I'd call a DK rep a guarantee, whether that be Dixie, K Rool or both
Bandana Dee is also extremely likely to me
Elma is also pretty likely
A pokemon newcomer could happen or could not but it's probably more likely than all the others below it combined
Mario and Animal Crossing could go either way
I don't think a Zelda, Metroid or FE newcomer is happening, I'm not counting echoes btw, I mean unique characters

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
As someone who doesn't play competitively, I don't personally care about game balance on a minute scale. You want it to be perfect in one particular area, fine, that's your prerogative, it doesn't have to be mine, or Sakurai's.

With 70 Characters, there are 4900 different 1v1 configurations, and over 24 Million 2v2 configurations. Would you like to be the one to balance them all perfectly? I wouldn't.
I'd love to be the director for balance honestly, it'd be fun to make a dream come true even though it'd be stressful and difficult. Although thing is, I'd have a team (much like Sakurai does now) and I'd be using lots of feedback, currently Sakurai + co seem to take in a little feedback by his statements and not really as much as I'd want, I wouldn't really be alone. I'd also not focus on getting every match-up to be 50/50, like Idon I feel that balancing around every interaction would be a bit insane haha. However though, I would try to at least focus a little on the extreme match-ups that we know about (or find) and making them closer to being fair, match-ups are naturally not going to be even but the extent to which Bayonetta clobbers Dedede or Meta Knight destroys Jigglypuff is so unfair it isn't fun to play. Also, last thing I'd want to add is that it'd still not be THAT insanely difficult to balance this game, yes there's 60+ characters so far, but we know most of them through experience in Smash 4 already and can balance off of that, while making adjustments for the engine and what-not, the ones that'd really be difficult are past veterans like Pichu and newcomers like Ridley, but the amount of these characters that'd be so hard isn't that big, so I think it'd be manageable honestly.

Man I can't get enough of that expression. Both of them...
Jigglyshi.png
Me neither.

:ultpikachu::ultdk::ultvillager::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultshulk::ultsamus:
...........That is just Trevor Belmont (specifically the Curse of Darkness design)
and the mughshot is taken from this image:

Wow, they didn't even try, I'm almost impressed by the level of laziness.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Tagging DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon so he doesn't miss this.
Hey guys! Here is another leak:
Nintendo and Bandai Namco are co-developing a Jump Ultimate Stars game for the Switch for Jump's 50th anniversary.
It will be using the same game engine as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
It will play exactly like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
It will be announced at Gamescom on August 25th.
I assume this game was not announced at E3 so it wouldn't be overshadowed by Smash and Jump force.
This would probably tie up with the Gold NES mini that Nintendo is also releasing.

Here is some more info that just got released related to this game's announcement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtzdLfW0108
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/0...luding-a-surprise-co-publishing-announcement/

-It will follow the EVERYONE IS HERE! All the characters of Jump Ultimate Stars will playable
-Despite the EVERYONE IS HERE! mentality, Vegeto from DBZ is not anywhere to be seen yet
-Sakurai has little to no involvement in the development of this game
-Ganbarion has no involvement with this game
-From the information leaked to me, I have not seen any new playable character
-It uses the same engine as Smash and it looks almost exactly like Ultimate
-Some stages from Jump Ultimate Stars will return, but in 3D
-This is still a Smash game, Smash Ball is the only way to use specials
-No release date yet
-One Piece characters will be in timeskip form
-Stand users have a stand meter, and will be unable to summon stands if meter depleted
-Taikobo will not call for friends help, but will use different Paopeis to attack
-Some characters like Gon, Goku, and Gintoki will emit an aura when charging a smash attack
-Go ahead and ask me whatever you want, I will try to answer if I'm still here
Somehow I doubt Nintendo would literally let them use the engine like that.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'd love to be the director for balance honestly, it'd be fun to make a dream come true even though it'd be stressful and difficult. Although thing is, I'd have a team (much like Sakurai does now) and I'd be using lots of feedback, currently Sakurai + co seem to take in a little feedback by his statements and not really as much as I'd want, I wouldn't really be alone. I'd also not focus on getting every match-up to be 50/50, like Idon I feel that balancing around every interaction would be a bit insane haha. However though, I would try to at least focus a little on the extreme match-ups that we know about (or find) and making them closer to being fair, match-ups are naturally not going to be even but the extent to which Bayonetta clobbers Dedede or Meta Knight destroys Jigglypuff is so unfair it isn't fun to play. Also, last thing I'd want to add is that it'd still not be THAT insanely difficult to balance this game, yes there's 60+ characters so far, but we know most of them through experience in Smash 4 already and can balance off of that, while making adjustments for the engine and what-not, the ones that'd really be difficult are past veterans like Pichu and newcomers like Ridley, but the amount of these characters that'd be so hard isn't that big, so I think it'd be manageable honestly.

Me neither.

:ultpikachu::ultdk::ultvillager::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultshulk::ultsamus:

Wow, they didn't even try, I'm almost impressed by the level of laziness.
And I was thinking it was going to be one of the first legit looking leaks.

Hopefully that leak is about to be posted soon.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
hmm ive noticed that there’s a big difference in the prediction of an Animal Crossing newcomer, some put it at the top and some put it at the bottom on the list most likely series to receive a newcomer.

So it might be a retread, but what is everybody’s prediction on Isabelle?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
hmm ive noticed that there’s a big difference in the prediction of an Animal Crossing newcomer, some put it at the top and some put it at the bottom on the list most likely series to receive a newcomer.

I'm in the "Isabelle is ultra-likely" camp, there's plenty of logic behind not picking her but I'm firmly convinced Nintendo wants her in everything ever, they slap her onto everything ever and market her in everything ever, even if Sakurai says no someone higher up will probably ask to add Isabelle anyway because she's a face of modern Nintendo or whatever.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I would love it. But i don't think her chances are too high, unless a new AC game is coming around the time smash is.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

:ultpikachu::ultdk::ultkirby::ultlink::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultshulk::ultmario:
I'll forever support a gen 7 Pokemon. Up until the day I get egg on my face.
DK is second most likely with 2 likely candidates.
Kirby is third with huge fan demand for a new series rep and an obvious candidate.
Zelda is next because I think Impa as an echo is a shoo in.
Animal Crossing perfectly defines the middle for me because Isabelle could or couldn't not really sure.
Metroid & Fire Emblem are actually tied, could get Dark Samus or Chrom as an echo. Depends how many we get.
Xenoblade is surprisingly second to last. Based on the time frame and the fact that I think most will be popular picks I don't think Elma is as likely as some say. More importantly I think the 8 or so characters I listed before her are more likely.
Mario is last. It got Daisy, and Waluigi, Toad and Pauline got shot down. Could still get Captain Toad or Paper Mario but I'm doubtful. Also I'm stubborn on whether or not to count Geno so meh.

I know my placement of Xenoblade is probably the most divisive lol.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Personally I don't think Sakurai would deliver the engine of a Smash Bros to other game.
It's a very bold move, since the Jump game could become more popular over time, most of it taken from the development of Smash-team engine.I want a new Jump All-Stars, but I think that's not the way it's gonna happen.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I think she's on Sakurai's radar but I don't know if she has moveset potential.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Let's see...

:ultpikachu:- Pretty much a guarantee. It's the only franchise that has had a new addition with every single game.

:ultdk:- Long overdue and made even more notable by the fact that the last canon game had not one but three new playable characters that were long time staples of the series. They would pretty much have to pretend that Tropical Freeze didn't exist to skip over it again.

:ultvillager:- New Leaf was such a megaton that it inspired technically 4 spinoffs in 4 years, including being the third major Nintendo franchise to make the jump to mobile, as well as cameos in other megatons like Monster Hunter and Mario Kart 8. Easily one of the biggest break out games of the Wii U/3DS era.

:ultmario:- Doesn't need one but will probably get one another because, aside from Brawl, it's had at least two new additions in each Smash game. It's Nintendo's leading franchise; watta you gonna do?

:ultshulk:- A breakout franchise that surprisingly had two whole new entries in the span of three years. Sakurai seems to love the series too so I feel like he won't overlook it.

:ultlink:-Really ambiguous... Few disagree on the fact that it's overdue and technically hasn't had a genuinely new addition in 17 years but it really boils down to who they would go with. My vote goes to Impa because of her history and recent significance in Hyrule Warriors but who knows if Sakurai thinks "the Triforce Trio" is enough representation or not.

:ultkirby:- Really only has one stand out character left (Bandana Dee) and Sakurai seems to act like the series outright ended after Kirby's Air Ride. I feel like this one that might get glossed over due to his personal bias.

:ultmarth:- It would be really hard to justify a new character, especially since the next major installment isn't out yet and SSB4 had 3 new additions plus the return of Roy. Personally, I think they'll either do Chrom as an Ike echo or leave the series alone.

:ultsamus:- Metroid is pretty much covered when it comes to representation. With Dark Samus and Rundas being gone for over a decade, it's really hard to justify their addition.

Honorable Mention- :ultwario:- Another series that's long overdue but is harder to justify because it isn't as big as Animal Crossing, Kirby, or DK. I guess it just boils down to how notable Sakurai thinks the Wario games are.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Mine: :ultdk::ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultlink::ultmarth::ultmario::ultkirby::ultvillager::ultsamus:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly I can't tell if the more out there leaks are even trying to sound legitimate or are just satirical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom