• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeox

Smash Champion
IDK man, Porky's mech is just too big, you know? Like, if you sized it down, it would look all weird and fragile and gangly. If you look at all of Porky's appearances, his mech is always at least TWICE as big as Ness, big enough to grab him with just one leg. If the mech was sized down enough to be playable, it just wouldn't be intimidating anymore, and that's the whole point of the character. Sorry. Porky's mech is just too big to work. Maybe you can get Starman or New Age Retro Hippie as an Earthbound villain rep?

:^)
Ridleyistoobig.jpg
View attachment 151812

I'm really hoping you didn't just imply that Ninten copied everything from Ness when it couldn't be more the other way around.
The only comment I can really agree on is the design, Mother 2 is to Mother 1 like how Ultimate is to Smash 4, it reuses a lot of assets but is able to deliver two entirely separate products despite the numerous parallel similarities they share. The two games definitely share their differences to stand out, especially near each of their endgames with Ninten scoring the chick and giving Giygas a good 'ol high school musical to drive him away while Ness and his friends literally time travel and fight a Giygas Porky tampered with for ****s and giggles.

They're similar, but definitely not exact carbon copies.
I played the 3 games, I know that the protagonist from mother 1 is the original and the protagonist from mother 2 is the one that got the stuff from him, and I know their stories are not the same, never said the opposite.
When I'm talking about the exact same, is because Ninten attacks and moveset would be the exact same as Ness, and Ninten looks would be the exact same as Ness.
Hell, you could simply change the name of Ness to Ninten, remove his backpack, put the cap looking at the opposite side and there you go, character done, just replace Poo for Teddy in the final smash.
Having so many more interesting characters, Ninten is just the most uninteresting choice, and the only reason why people would want him is because is the protagonist of Mother 1, that's it.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Even though I'm a total EarthBound fanatic, I have to be honest and say the franchise hasn't really done anything to warrant getting a third character. Echo Fighter or not, I think a third character is really pushing it at this point, and the only way I'd be willing to get on board with the idea is if Nintendo revived the franchise and made some new games.
Being cult games that has spawn numerous popular games such as Lisa or Undertale, and has inspired people for years, and has prove over and over that the fans of the franchise will not forget by reminding Reggie every year to localize Mother 3 is not enough to get a third character?

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
*AUX CALL PUSH SELECT*

Snake: Last time I checked, paintball wasn't this extreme... Mei Ling, what's the deal with this kid shooting paint all over the place? Something also seems a bit fishy about them, are they even really human?

Mei Ling: They're an Inkling, Snake, and they're a human-squid hybrid that can swim through their own colorful ink. All the weapons they use, including the gun and the giant paint roller are used in their own games of Turf Wars, where two teams of four compete to coat as much ground of a specific area as possible.

Snake: So it's basically extreme paintball but with squids and shooting the floor rather than each other...

Mei Ling: Well, yeah, I guess that's one way to describe it... Oh, I also forgot to mention, even though they're part squid, they can't swim in water, they dissolve as if they were made of liquid if they touch water.

Snake: Great, where can I find the nearest bucket of water? I want to win this fight quickly before my entire sneaking suit gets ruined...

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Anyone out there thinks that Blaze the Cat would make a good semi-clone using her powerful fire attacks mixed with speed and acrobatics?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like I need to repeat myself...
There are other ways to improve fighters than always making them heavy hitters though. Sheik has limited KO move options, and yet she's among the best fighters in the Smash 3DS / Wii U competitive scene.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There are other ways to improve fighters than always making them heavy hitters though. Sheik has limited KO move options, and yet she's among the best fighters in the Smash 3DS / Wii U competitive scene.
Yeah I know, but the issue was that you thought Yoshi's tail sound effect was off, so I proposed an explanation. They may very well make him an even scarier air fighter...

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Honestly Yoshi deserves to be a heavyweight. Not a super heavy like Bowser and Donkey Kong are, but stil a heavyweight. The Mario Kart series considers Yoshi to be slightly less weight than Mario and Luigi, which never made sense to me considering Yoshi can literally carry/ride Mario and doesn'r even seem to struggle very much with it. It doesn't any logical sense for him not to be a bit heavyweight.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Since we still seem to be on Earthbound/Mother reps I want to point out something I saw way back. I'm a huge Masked Man/Claus fan and it hurt me so much to see someone say he could be a semi clones of Lucas. What makes him so cool is his unique abilities compared to the existing cast of smash. He has a gun canon arm, a sword, a weird wing-jetpack combination as well as PSI powers! He could also take inspiration from anything the Pig Army has since he's their leader.

Such a unique character that I wouldn't want him to just be a semi clones. He's not likely at all though lol.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah I know, but the issue was that you thought Yoshi's tail sound effect was off, so I proposed an explanation. They may very well make him an even scarier air fighter...
An attack that makes a punching sound effect can still pack a punch if it has the right hitbox attributes. When I did my moveset edits for Smash Wii U Yoshi, I actually made his tail hitboxes make a punch sound effect, for the reasons that I've mentioned already. But at the same time, I improved their KO capabilities, with the d-tilt even having a 50% chance to trip fighters.

Anyway, I just know that the sound effect choices that the developers made may end up being way off for certain attacks, and this isn't just limited to Yoshi either. With Palutena's wings (used for her f-smash and d-smash) being magical, you'd think that they'd use the magic sound effect for their hitboxes.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
The only mother character that should be included is Ninten, and even then it should be only as an echo. The series hasn't had a game since 2006, so even three characters is MORE than enough for a dead series like it given thriving series like Pikmin, Xeno, and Star Fox have 3 or less reps.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Honestly Yoshi deserves to be a heavyweight. Not a super heavy like Bowser and Donkey Kong are, but stil a heavyweight. The Mario Kart series considers Yoshi to be slightly less weight than Mario and Luigi, which never made sense to me considering Yoshi can literally carry/ride Mario and doesn'r even seem to struggle very much with it. It doesn't any logical sense for him not to be a bit heavyweight.
i wouldnt use mario kart for weight measurements. rosalina's a heavy. king boo has been heavy. bowser jr has been in light and medium.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
i wouldnt use mario kart for weight measurements. rosalina's a heavy. king boo has been heavy. bowser jr has been in light and medium.
I think that was the point he was trying to make. Besides, it's not just Mario Kart that makes Yoshi lightweight. Almost all of the sports games do except for Strikers, which makes him the same weight as the Mario Bros.

I'm with him though. I think for every iteration of Yoshi from here on out should make him heavier and more powerful than the Mario Bros. I never got the idea of making him a light character...

Anyways I should be going to bed. Night!!!

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I wished we could of gotten Kumatora as an echo for Lucas, but that's not happening.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Good news, Ray Mk-III can fit that. Bad news, his series is stone dead to the point even the trophies got removed.
Good enough
Since that every fighter returned, i wonder if Break the targets and Board the platforms would be included in Smash Bros Ultimate.
Anyone liked these mini games?
It might return, but it’d be crazy for EVERYONE to have their own specific target map
Shadow will be Wario's echo fighter.
Motorcycle.

Alright, now fight.

Also Rouge the Bat would probably make a more interesting semi-clone moveset + gliding and digging, like the Knuckles assist trophy except playable. Probably just to me.
Shadow farting...alrighty

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well if he did this he would be more tolerable to me personally.
I mean out all all the Modern Sonic guys that show up he is possibly the most cringy.

Which is weird because from looking at Maina and a some of the Archie Comics stuff (hope that's the right one and not Safeway one I get them confused)
There's not one "bad" classic character...

I mean I can't name one that I detest, though I have a high tolerance for lackluster stuff, but legitimately can't find one bad one.

Modern guys are just kinda riddled with problems, but Shadow in my opinion takes the cake because he;s nothing, he's literally just Metal Sonic with some really weird background lore. I mean Black Doom makes sense because we have alien/deity monsters now in Sonic but, man that was just weird.

He has no real interactions with Rouge or Omega (who was unnecessary, Gama was a nice character ) from what I have played. I just don't understand him really.

Though thinking about it my conversation with vaanrose vaanrose Thohou character would be cool, don't know if anyone in Japan has been asking for one though. Most likely this has long since been a thing but I just have never seen Remui being brought up until that last fake leak that was posted.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
he's literally just Metal Sonic with some really weird background lore.
I don't see it. Metal Sonic's defining trait has always been his obsession with defeating Sonic and being a cold killing machine. Shadow is a brooding anti-hero. They really don't have much in common other than being aesthetically based off Sonic.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well if he did this he would be more tolerable to me personally.
I mean out all all the Modern Sonic guys that show up he is possibly the most cringy.

Which is weird because from looking at Maina and a some of the Archie Comics stuff (hope that's the right one and not Safeway one I get them confused)
There's not one "bad" classic character...

I mean I can't name one that I detest, though I have a high tolerance for lackluster stuff, but legitimately can't find one bad one.

Modern guys are just kinda riddled with problems, but Shadow in my opinion takes the cake because he;s nothing, he's literally just Metal Sonic with some really weird background lore. I mean Black Doom makes sense because we have alien/deity monsters now in Sonic but, man that was just weird.

He has no real interactions with Rouge or Omega (who was unnecessary, Gama was a nice character ) from what I have played. I just don't understand him really.

Though thinking about it my conversation with vaanrose vaanrose Thohou character would be cool, don't know if anyone in Japan has been asking for one though. Most likely this has long since been a thing but I just have never seen Remui being brought up until that last fake leak that was posted.
There is nothing cringy about Sonic besides Big the Cat and the fact that Amy is 12 years old...all those years thinking she was a 15-16 year old warrior

Pakky

Smash Hero
There is nothing cringy about Sonic besides Big the Cat and the fact that Amy is 12 years old...all those years thinking she was a 15-16 year old warrior
Personally I like Big the Cat more than Shadow...

He's so odd, that it doubles back into him being admirable.

I don't see it. Metal Sonic's defining trait has always been his obsession with defeating Sonic and being a cold killing machine. Shadow is a brooding anti-hero. They really don't have much in common other than being aesthetically based off Sonic.
-Both were created by Robotniks

- Both were crowning jewel achievements

- Both are rocket powered, without having any natural speed.

In terms of personality you are right, though to be honest neither of which make them well rounded characters. Metal gets off because well he's a robot, Shadow, not so much to me, unless he has more that I don't know about.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Alright, since I am not a fan of those Shadow discussion, here is something new:

What sort of event match you want to see in Ultimate?

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Though thinking about it my conversation with vaanrose vaanrose vaanrose vaanrose Thohou character would be cool, don't know if anyone in Japan has been asking for one though. Most likely this has long since been a thing but I just have never seen Remui being brought up until that last fake leak that was posted.
If Touhou was exposed to the general public I would give up on life.

D

Deleted member

Alright, since I am not a fan of those Shadow discussion, here is something new:

:ultridley: vs :ultsamus::ultzss::ultpikachu:
Not all at once. If you kill Samus, it moves to ZSS. If you kill ZSS, it moves to Pikachu. Like that.
Time for Ridley to get his revenge.
This is one reason why Shadow can not enjoy life.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Shadow is most likely echo out of metal and classic because he is the most similar, metal isn't actually a proper "copy" of sonic with different abilities, and classic has a different size/proportions, shadow can do everything sonic can and has the same body shape, the only big change you would need to make is the run animation.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Why Pichu tho? Shouldn't be Pikachu? Or maybe Pikachu & Pichu?

Speaking of Ridley and Pokemon tho, I really like the sort of rivaliry that Ridley & Charizard seem to have. The two of them are dragon that share some moves and even some taunts (Charizard got two new taunts that kinda look like Ridley taunts if you didn't know), but while Charizard is generally depicted as someone who want a good challenge, but doesn't want to hurt innocent, Ridley is just a bloody psychopath who would kill anything in it's way. I really hope we see more fanart of those two, like imagine if this was this image, but with Ryu replaced by Charizard, Akuma replaced by Ridley, and Sakura replaced by Leaf.

This would look so freakin' cool.

Also, I hope we see more fanart of Ivysaur & Duck Hunt, since they are the only quadrupedal fighter as of now.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Gotta have a :ultsamus: vs. giant :ultridley:. That's the law. (or the reverse: Tiny Riddles vs. Giant Samus lol)
Also :ultlink: vs. Dark :ultlink: again.
Some event where you fight :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultwolf: "Villain Fight!" Also K.Rool if he's in.
:ultmario::ultpeach: vs. :ultluigi::ultdaisy:
:ultpokemontrainer: vs. overpowered :ultmewtwo:
I'd love the bomb event or Legendary Pokémon events back from Melee
And if I got my biggest wish, we need a Dragon fight:
vs. :ultcorrin::ultridley::charizard:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Not all at once. If you kill Samus, it moves to ZSS. If you kill ZSS, it moves to Pikachu. Like that.

That’s someone who knows how to party
Personally I like Big the Cat more than Shadow...

He's so odd, that it doubles back into him being admirable.

-Both were created by Robotniks

- Both were crowning jewel achievements

- Both a rocket powered, without having any natural speed.

In terms of personality you are right, though to be honest neither of which make them well rounded characters. Metal gets off because well he's a robot, Shadow, not so much to me, unless he has more that I don't know about.
I’ll never forgive that cat for this frog levels and annoying voice

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

The Arena! (Kirby)

Simmilar to the challenge in the series, Kirby faces back-to-back battles against King Dedede, Meta Knight, and any other villainous Kirby representation (Boss or Playable Character). Takes place on Boxing Ring.

Any leak with Marx is automatically fake for me.
As a Marx Supporter: Same. He isn't happening until DLC, but even then I'm not holding out hope.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Shadow is most likely echo out of metal and classic because he is the most similar, metal isn't actually a proper "copy" of sonic with different abilities, and classic has a different size/proportions, shadow can do everything sonic can and has the same body shape, the only big change you would need to make is the run animation.
That's not really true.

Both can do everything Sonic can do.

There is a modern version of Metal with Modern Sonic's proportions

Metal, Shadow, and Sonic all have the same body shape.

Metal and Shadow have abilities that Sonic does not.

Other than model and the Homing attacks Smash's Sonic is more classic leaning than modern.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Why, is there some weird thing about it that I am unaware of?
What would formerly be a niche thing for a small community would be exposed to the general public. I can see it now, new people spouting almost 15 years worth of old memes, e-celebs and lets players streaming it. It sounds horrifying.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
What would formerly be a niche thing for a small community would be exposed to the general public. I can see it now, new people spouting almost 15 years worth of old memes, e-celebs and lets players streaming it. It sounds horrifying.
I'd rather see a good game/series get the credit it deserves rather than watch some mildly obnoxious people for a little while.

I hate the constant cycle of "why isn't this more popular!/Waahh it's too popular!" And the self congratulating subculture of people who want their favourite games to languish in obscurity.

I'd take 500 klonoa high school RPs any day for that game to recieve a true successful Klonoa 3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would prefer a Subspace over an Adventure Mode, but.... an Adventure Mode seems more likely because Subspace was so hard to make with the cutscenes and it already looks like they worked hard on the Ridley cutscene when he got revealed.
Oh ****.

My bad then lol.
It is okay my blue hunter.

Tell me please, where is Blue Hunter Y? :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I would prefer a Subspace over an Adventure Mode, but.... an Adventure Mode seems more likely because Subspace was so hard to make with the cutscenes and it already looks like they worked hard on the Ridley cutscene when he got revealed.

It is okay my blue man.

Tell me please, where is Blue Hunter Y? :awesome:
In the place where it should be forgetten.

Also, to come back on your event.

What if the goal was to protect Pikachu & Pichu while fighting Ridley as Samus? Pikachu is able to defend himself, but Pichu generally try to avoid fighting since he is the lightest & still really young. The event is lost if either you or one of the two yellow rat die, and Ridley is bigger than usual for the whole fight.

Sound challenging now, huh?:ultsnake:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I’ll never forgive that cat for this frog levels and annoying voice
I never liked Duke Nukem Big. His voice is a lot more tolerable in Japanese.

And at least he doesn't have fishing levels in Heroes.
- Both are rocket powered, without having any natural speed.

I don't think it's ever been stated by SEGA that the speed comes from the shoes, he still has to be fast enough to react and move his legs at Mach speeds, y'know? Shadow was alright in Battle, he seems to actually care about people in that game and warns everyone against letting Emerl come into contact with a Chaos Emerald, he flat out says he doesn't want anyone else to go through what he went through. He comes around once he founds out Emerl is a good guy and even starts training him and giving him advice. He's also really good friends with Rouge in that game, He even crashed at Rouge's house after he got beat up by a bunch of Not! Gamma's.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's a little game we can play. I tried this a few months ago, and I wanted to see if the opinions have changed.

Order the following nine franchises :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultshulk:based on which you'd assume has the best chance of getting a newcomer. Take note that this doesn't include characters who have already been revealed. Order them from most likely to least likely.

Here's mine: :ultpikachu::ultdk::ultshulk::ultlink::ultkirby::ultmario::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultmarth:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom