• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Depends on who the Echo Fighters are.

If they're characters who probably wouldn't have gotten in Smash without being an easy to add clone, I might be less critical. If they're characters who clearly have a strong following and relevancy to justify getting in as a unique character (Dixie, Impa, etc.), then Sakurai can keep those to himself. I'd rather wait for a Smash game where they can get in as the unique characters they deserve to be.
Inb4 there’s no more new Smash games with new characters
Damn. Characters look better as playable fighters than they do as Mii costumes.
Well that’s because they’re the real thing

Zeox

Smash Champion
I can fill 14 characters, no problem, I can even do it even without repeating the same franchise and without too many third party reps:
1. King K. Rool
2. Bandana Dee
3. Geno
4. Elma
5. Ashley
6. Simon Belmont
7. Isabelle ε
8. Black Shadow ε
9. Impa ε
10. Porky Minch
11. Rayman
12. New gen Pokemon (Mimikyu, Incineroar, Decidueye... pick one)
13. Isaac
14. Shadow ε

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
Have to love IMDB and its weird listings:
voice actors
If the listings are correct (which they well might not be), tabuu and chorus men would be present in Smash Ultimate in some way (given the voice actors listing)

On a side note:
To people wondering about odd ball Simon Belmont: If you check out Simon Belmont on google trends around the time of the ballot, Simon Belmont was looked up quite a bit at the time (could also be a source for rumors...). Simon Belmont as a search term is even a significant fraction of King K. Rool at the time of the ballot opening.
Simon Belmont & King K. Rool
Some other common leak contestants have related trends around the time of the ballot. Just food for thought.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I haven't seen anyone talk about this but the Facebook page posted Krystal as an assist. Nothing new obviously but different than the Smash Blog. Also I didn't know she fought with ice attacks.
The staff she uses can use different elemental attacks, fireballs, ice attacks, launches you in the air like a rocket, and can create earthquakes that can topple a T-Rex.
In regards to Xenoblade reps, I personally don't mind between Elma or Rex & Pyra whether they are in as base or DLC.
I don't mind between the two either, but having both in the game would be amazing base or DLC.

"All but confirmed" I'm starting to see this word often. I remember saying those exact words to myself and others when I though Lyn and Krystal were a shoo in for Ultimate. I also remember picking up my shattered expectations, and happiness and the miserable disappointment I felt too when they were confirmed as ATs. Those three words can be satisfying if/when they come true, and hurt like a knife when it doesn't, it's good to hope for your characters inclusion but it's best not say words like that too.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I never played Xenobalde... so what weapons / playstyle would Elma use in Smash ?
Very fast cut-cut and shoot-shoot.
Maybe some shadow clones, maybe some shadow strikes.

IIRC I haven't played this game in a good long while, she's a pure DPS character and a dodge god.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Now looking through these models its interesting that Rayman's model was modeled in such a way that the intention was to apply a skeleton and rig it.

See the star shapes where the knuckles are and how there's thinner array of tris around where the finger bend? Ya do that when you want hands to move rather naturally.
This could mean nothing given that most player character models are 30 to 40 thousand polygons/tris/faces (Even Kirby which is weird) and he is only 12.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Have to love IMDB and its weird listings:
voice actors
If the listings are correct (which they well might not be), tabuu and chorus men would be present in Smash Ultimate in some way (given the voice actors listing)

On a side note:
To people wondering about odd ball Simon Belmont: If you check out Simon Belmont on google trends around the time of the ballot, Simon Belmont was looked up quite a bit at the time (could also be a source for rumors...). Simon Belmont as a search term is even a significant fraction of King K. Rool at the time of the ballot opening.
Simon Belmont & King K. Rool
Some other common leak contestants have related trends around the time of the ballot. Just food for thought.
the heck is doc louis doing on there

Zeox

Smash Champion
I absolutely agree that they had to do something with that extra time and talent, besides just veterans. Personally my bet is on a big adventure mode (not story really). But characters could be it too! It's just what Sakurai said...I'm not expecting too much more.
We can't know, on the other hand, probably some game modes also has been exported to ultimate from smash 4, that could give them more extra time but now I wonder... if Smash tour will return.

KMDP

Smash Legend
What is the song you want the most in Ulitmate even if it has the slightest or no chance at all in making it in? Mines has to be the final boss theme from Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Birth By Sleep 0.2
Well, to preface my answer with something, while I want Agumon for legitimate reasons, if nothing else I would want Agumon just to get Digimon World: Next 0rder's main theme, "Accentier" by Eir Aio, into Smash.

Seriously, it's a super good song, it does it's (secondary) job perfectly. While it's also the Opening Theme, it plays when your two Partner Digimon fuse, which can happen if they die in Battle as a comeback mechanic.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I just can’t possibly see us getting an 80+ character roster (along with DLC).

Like, that’s a lot of fighter, too much actually. With all the balancing and having to shove them all onto a CSS screen and how it would overwhelming to a lot of casuals, I’m starting to see why Sakurai may not want to add as a many as last time.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Now looking through these models its interesting that Rayman's model was modeled in such a way that the intention was to apply a skeleton and rig it.

See the star shapes where the knuckles are and how there's thinner array of tris around where the finger bend? Ya do that when you want hands to move rather naturally.
This could mean nothing given that most player character models are 30 to 40 thousand polygons/tris/faces (Even Kirby which is weird) and he is only 12.
Didn't ubisoft create that model though? it's not like Sakurai's team designed it that way

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Didn't Sakurai say that Ubisoft just sent a model over? If so, that's explain why it was built for playability, but just in a different game...

KMDP

Smash Legend
It shouldn't matter if people don't like it. We're not going to get a lot of newcomers, so people should be happy to have extra fighters.
*sigh*
Sakurai didn't say we're not getting a lot of Newcomers, he said not to expect too many.

This is not the same thing!

We don't know how many "too many" is, he said pretty much the same thing in an interview during the lead up to Smash 4 and look how many newcomers were in the Base Game.

Feel like PushDustIn, over here.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
OMG Yuri Lowenthal is voicing English Marth?! I met him because he's the narrator for Disney Infinity hahaha. He's really cool.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Since it’s the 4th of July and we’re all talking about Smash Bros...
7924A310-7549-4A00-A3F9-E2C70275BAB8.jpeg
the heck is doc louis doing on there
He talks when Little Mac taunts and during his victory poses
OMG Yuri Lowenthal is voicing English Marth?! I met him because he's the narrator for Disney Infinity hahaha. He's really cool.
Been voicing him since Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., and he’s perfection as Marth

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I just can’t possibly see us getting an 80+ character roster (along with DLC).

Like, that’s a lot of fighter, too much actually. With all the balancing and having to shove them all onto a CSS screen and how it would overwhelming to a lot of casuals, I’m starting to see why Sakurai may not want to add as a many as last time.
lol casual's would eat this up

Pakky

Smash Hero
Didn't Sakurai say that Ubisoft just sent a model over? If so, that's explain why it was built for playability, but just in a different game...
Didn't ubisoft create that model though? it's not like Sakurai's team designed it that way

Very true though when you're modeling something especially if its just a trophy there's no real need to arrange the edge flow in such a way that its fit for rigging.

The effort is strange to me because you can literally model something into a pose and call it a day. The topology/ arrangement of ploys doesn't matter as long as the model looks clean. Texture maps can make a terrible model look great.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So 10 characters?

1. Elma
2. Echo: Shadow
3. King K. Rool
4. Decidueye
5. Echo: Ninten
6. Crash Bandicoot
7. Ashley
8. Black Shadow
9. Simon Belmont
10. Mike Jones as the off-the-wall character

11. Echo: Boshi :yoshi:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I always knew that Marth was a Disney Prince deep down. :p

ThyCheshireCat

Smash Apprentice
The Former British Empire of great Britain.
I thought of a fun game!
Based on the remaining stages pick your top 5 you want to return that haven't been confirmed yet. Doesn't have to be in order. Here's the pic for reference.
View attachment 151470

5. Orbital Gate - I thought this stage was gorgeous on the Wii U and I can't wait to see it on the Switch. I also thought it was a fun stage and showed an aspect of Star Fox that wasn't just fight one one ship.
4. Meta Crystal - Would be a superrrrr cool call back. I don't know if it's possible though since it was never a selectable stage.
3. Pac Maze - The superior Pac Man stage and I'm worried it won't come back due to "1 stage per third party series". Hopefully that's wrong.
2. Brinstar Depths - What a cool stage! Make it prettier and it would be amazing.
1. Poke Floats - Despite being one of the laziest stages made, it is the best stage in Smash history, nuff said. Can't have Smash Ultimate without it.
5. 8-bit Dreamland - Kirby stage = Good.
4. Pac-Maze - It looks cool and I would like to experience it in HD.
3. Meta Crystal - It just looks cool.
2. Fountain of Dreams - Kirby stages are always nice to have.
1. Brinstar Depths - I just really want to see Kraid in HD.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Very true though when you're modeling something especially if its just a trophy there's no real need to arrange the edge flow in such a way that its fit for rigging.

The effort is strange to me because you can literally model something into a pose and call it a day. The topology/ arrangement of ploys doesn't matter as long as the model looks clean. Texture maps can make a terrible model look great.
They probably modelled it complexly like "hey, Sakurai, this Rayman model is ready for playability... just saying... just gonna... leave it here..."

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
What is the song you want the most in Ulitmate even if it has the slightest or no chance at all in making it in? Mines has to be the final boss theme from Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Birth By Sleep 0.2

We need more diverse DK songs (ignore the maniacal laughs).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Happy Freedom Day, everyone.

In relation to that, I'm excited for five years down the line when Ultimate modding is a thing and I can paint Meta Ridley with WWII Bomber graphics.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I thought of a fun game!
Based on the remaining stages pick your top 5 you want to return that haven't been confirmed yet. Doesn't have to be in order. Here's the pic for reference.
View attachment 151470

5. Orbital Gate - I thought this stage was gorgeous on the Wii U and I can't wait to see it on the Switch. I also thought it was a fun stage and showed an aspect of Star Fox that wasn't just fight one one ship.
4. Meta Crystal - Would be a superrrrr cool call back. I don't know if it's possible though since it was never a selectable stage.
3. Pac Maze - The superior Pac Man stage and I'm worried it won't come back due to "1 stage per third party series". Hopefully that's wrong.
2. Brinstar Depths - What a cool stage! Make it prettier and it would be amazing.
1. Poke Floats - Despite being one of the laziest stages made, it is the best stage in Smash history, nuff said. Can't have Smash Ultimate without it.
5. Gamer - A neat little gimmick
4. Hanenbow - Gorgeous even if it isn't all that fun
3. Pirate Ship - I mean, come on. It's Pirate Ship!!!
2. Woolly World - YOSHI!!!
1. Yoshi's Island (Melee) - YOSHI!!! :yoshi::yoshi:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
While I can see the argument that Pokémon wouldn’t get a new rep because of Pichu and Pokémon Trainer being brought back...

It’s Pokemon. They’re gonna market it.

Lycanroc/Decidueye/Mimikyu. One of those are getting in the base roster. I would be shocked if they didn’t
I mean, Smash Bros is kind of in the business of shocking people so...

I think Sakurai certainly has the power to pass over Pokemon. (if Mario and Zelda can go without newcomers in a new Smash, there's no real reason the same can't eventually happen to Pokemon)

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I've seen a fair amount of people reasoning that since we've seen so few newcommers and we usually get around X number we could have a ton of character reveals between now and December 7th. However, I see very little applying this logic in reverse. Maybe the reason we've seen so few character reveals since March is because there aren't that many to reveal. Perhaps if July goes by without a reveal then people will start to suspect? Or maybe after August?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally, the prospect of being able to manually place projects on the stage with Isabelle is an exciting concept to me.

Public Works Projects can be part of a function for a New Leaf stage, but such a stage function would more likely become an automated process, with the Villager, and Isabelle in the background slowly adding town objects to the stage, with animal villagers recommending the placements of projects in random locations. It is an ok idea, but I would rather have manual control of placing projects in stages via character. I love the idea of a character who has the ability to gain stage control over time. You know how in many city/town simulator games where you would be able to gain a feeling of satisfaction by gradually constructing houses and buildings for your place over time? This would essentially be Isabelle's play-style.

There is a variety of gameplay potential that she could utilize based on New Leaf's game design. You could incorporate an idea in which the more town projects you complete and place on the stage, the more happiness Isabelle gains, slightly boosting her stats. The town objects could serve as stage hazards, being useful tools for Isabelle as a form of defense and as a useful tactic for edge-guarding. You could also incorporate town laws, to which Isabelle could customize the timing of when objects should function (For example, if you placed a fountain via stage, she could be able to customize to when the fountain spouts water on the stage via simple press of the button, a customizable Pac-Man Fire Hydrant of sorts).

The variety of gameplay possibilities that can be incorporated to Isabelle via New Leaf is why I think the potential of Public Work Projects works better as a character. The idea of her play-style innocently placing projects around to improve her "town" (the stage), embodying the gameplay mechanics of town/city simulators, is unconventionally unique, and would make Isabelle a very fun character to play as.
My question becomes, then, how to balance that? How does it work? It sounds interesting in a theoretical way, but when put into action I would fear Isabelle would have a less than functional moveset.

If she is able to set up the projects, how long does it take? Is she a sitting duck? Can she cancel out of it?

I think her “being fun to play as” depends on the player, and would entirely depend on how she functions. If she mainly only creates public projects, then that leaves sad implications for the different phases of a matchup.

Basically, i’m not convinced it’s a real workable idea unless i’m given a description of the moveset or how she would play. The argument that it would be fun is subjective at best, and the way you described the moveset seems...complicated.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

They probably modelled it complexly like "hey, Sakurai, this Rayman model is ready for playability... just saying... just gonna... leave it here..."
This does add some weight to my "they mastered limbless physics for Sukapon, so Rayman would be a shoo-in" theory.

I absolutely agree that they had to do something with that extra time and talent, besides just veterans. Personally my bet is on a big adventure mode (not story really). But characters could be it too! It's just what Sakurai said...I'm not expecting too much more.
*sigh*
Sakurai didn't say we're not getting a lot of Newcomers, he said not to expect too many.

This is not the same thing!

We don't know how many "too many" is, he said pretty much the same thing in an interview during the lead up to Smash 4 and look how many newcomers were in the Base Game.

Feel like PushDustIn, over here.
Yeah, he pretty much said that to temper fan expectations, and not outright say there's barely going to be anything new that wasn't in a previous game.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I can see it happening, but remember we are talking about max characters if they continue doing this of 3 characters a week, if they skip a full week it would be just 11 more.
But 14 more doesn't sound crazy, after all, they had time enough to add small details like Olimar's helmet breaking or R.O.B having a bar of fuel.
Sakurai did say that he prioritizes veterans over newcomers though if I'm not mistaken. I under the assumption that means character touches etc. flavor.

Edit: People must not forget that every newcomer dose not take the same amount of time to develop as well. Some requires far more effort to do (looking at you Ridley) than others. I'll just put that out there. Sakurai might just add characters that would be easy to create giving more time for other characters or focus on more harder and complex characters.

Last edited:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
I thought of a fun game!
View attachment 151470

5. One of the PictoChat stages - Preferably something like PictoChat X, it's just fun to play on with the random hazards, and I love the design.
4. Peach's Castle - It's got its gimmicks, but it's a riot to play on with 3-4 people.
3. Delfino Plaza - The music, the design, the game.
2. Pirate Ship - Honestly one of my favorite stages, it's just so calming and diverse.
1. Sector Z - The original big stage, we need more like it, especially with 8-Player Smash. Big stages don't need to be complex.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can see it happening, but remember we are talking about max characters if they continue doing this of 3 characters a week, if they skip a full week it would be just 11 more.
But 14 more doesn't sound crazy, after all, they had time enough to add small details like Olimar's helmet breaking or R.O.B having a bar of fuel.
The time they didn't use remaking mario, luigi, and the rest of the characters from smash 4 (because they just ported them and then added some details and make better animations) they could have used it in making the game bigger and with more characters.
But that sounds like it was the focus rather than just some additional side content after completing the new veterans. Especially with how the trailer highlights how there are "up to 10,000 individual character changes" or something of that sort.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, Smash Bros is kind of in the business of shocking people so...

I think Sakurai certainly has the power to pass over Pokemon. (if Mario and Zelda can go without newcomers in a new Smash, there's no real reason the same can't eventually happen to Pokemon)
I've already shared my opinions on the odds of us getting a Pokémon newcomer, so I'll just summarize my feelings.

Basically, while it's certainly possible we don't get any Pokémon newcomers this time, I don't see a reason why we shouldn't. Pokémon are some of the safest (and most unique) additions Sakurai could add. Even if he's focusing on popular requests like many of us believe he is, a Gen VII Pokémon would honestly be a much more understandable and deserving addition than a majority of the popular characters we've been pushing here on Smashboards, simply because the franchise is just so massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom