• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a fair amount of people reasoning that since we've seen so few newcommers and we usually get around X number we could have a ton of character reveals between now and December 7th. However, I see very little applying this logic in reverse. Maybe the reason we've seen so few character reveals since March is because there aren't that many to reveal. Perhaps if July goes by without a reveal then people will start to suspect? Or maybe after August?
The actual game was reveled in June, they obviously wouldn't show anything before e3 if the last direct before e3 only showed a teaser with no gameplay. I'm thinking 1 character a month still.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've seen a fair amount of people reasoning that since we've seen so few newcommers and we usually get around X number we could have a ton of character reveals between now and December 7th. However, I see very little applying this logic in reverse. Maybe the reason we've seen so few character reveals since March is because there aren't that many to reveal. Perhaps if July goes by without a reveal then people will start to suspect? Or maybe after August?
Or maybe, in keeping with the "80+% of the roster is unlockable" thing, Sakurai will be keeping all the newcomers except a select few secret until release this time.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm hoping that after Smash 4 EVO Grand Finals they'll show a trailer. It'd be such a perfect way for Nintendo to get in on the competitive community in a really big way. In fact, I'm almost certain Nintendo's the only company there that doesn't release any trailers concurrently with EVO that tens of thousands of people attend and watch online.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Of course there will likely be at least one newcomer not revealed before launch. Like the Unlockable retro newcomer.

Of course my top 10 newcomer list. E is an Echo character.

1. Lloyd Irving
2. King K. Rool
3. Funky Kong E
4. Ashley
5. Simon Bellont
6. Mach Rider
7. Bandana Dee
8. Isabelle E
9. Ninten E
10. Banjo

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I'm hoping that after Smash 4 EVO Grand Finals they'll show a trailer. It'd be such a perfect way for Nintendo to get in on the competitive community in a really big way. In fact, I'm almost certain Nintendo's the only company there that doesn't release any trailers concurrently with EVO that tens of thousands of people attend and watch online.
It will most likely be a 3rd party character if Nintendo opted for that route.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
But that sounds like it was the focus rather than just some additional side content after completing the new veterans. Especially with how the trailer highlights how there are "up to 10,000 individual character changes" or something of that sort.
Exactly, it was obvious that the focus of Ultimate's devlopment cycle was taking the older characters and modernizing them, good examples being Zelda, Wolf, Peach, ect.

Its not quite as simple as them going "bam, Pikachu has a new neutral air, now lets focus on newcomers," every small tweak probably had a testing, animating and balancing phase. Near every veteran has at least one or two new attacks, some characters like Ganon having way more. We haven't even seen every veteran in action, we still don't know the full extent of the changes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone seen anything on the Nintendo direct sites? Any extra code being added or private videos in playlists?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Stealth says.

Before you ask, I'm not 100% on his credibility, I've heard mixed things and haven't looked into it much.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Exactly, it was obvious that the focus of Ultimate's devlopment cycle was taking the older characters and modernizing them, good examples being Zelda, Wolf, Peach, ect.

Its not quite as simple as them going "bam, Pikachu has a new neutral air, now lets focus on newcomers," every small tweak probably had a testing, animating and balancing phase. Near every veteran has at least one or two new attacks, some characters like Ganon having way more. We haven't even seen every veteran in action, we still don't know the full extent of the changes.
I really hope some of these "10,000 tweaks" aren't done yet. Samus is apparently still garbage and her one big buff is something that most other characters with a charge attack have been able to do for a long time.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Stealth says.

Before you ask, I'm not 100% on his credibility, I've heard mixed things and haven't looked into it much.
loz18 also said there was a direct in August. I'm hoping lloyd Irving is revealed in that month as Tales of Symphonia's 15th Anniversary is at the end of August.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
FYI: Next deadline for "leaks" is July 9th, when K. Rool is supposedly going to be revealed.

Stealth says.

>Nintendo Direct in August
>Remembers this "leak".
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/420660542/#420660542
>Simon Belmont reveal for Smash
>Castlevania Switch Collection
>Yoshi release date
>New FE Three Houses trailer showing different classes
>Dark Souls Remastered
>Splatoon 2 update
>Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 ReMix
>New Switch Headset w/Mic Smash Bros themed
>Online details for Smash (modes, online, rank)
>Sora reveal for Smash
SORA IN SMASH CONFIRMED BOIS /s

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm still waiting on Samus being able to shoot that stupid ball in 8 directions.
That'd be nice.

Or, well, anything really. She's just not fun to play as focusing on standing still, charging her ball, missing a shot with it, repeating...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

They didn't even highlight characters who obviously have significant changes from the character trailers, such as my boi...

KMDP

Smash Legend

Doesn't Sakurai have a "larger than is usual for Smash" team this time? (Probably remembering wrong, saw someone a couple of days ago mention a 100+ team as if it was noteworthy)

He could have two teams for Fighter Creation, both of which he (naturally) oversees; one for Veteran Updates and one for Newcomer Creation. Obviously he'd also have other teams for other features, but it's not relevant to my point.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Stealth says.

Bu... but, I want it now!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

We need more diverse DK songs (ignore the maniacal laughs).
Ok, you know what?

**** that thing.

That boss was the reason little baby Cap stopped playing DK64 until...pretty recently, actually. And of course, now that I know how to beat it, it was a cakewalk and Tiny didn't even take any damage.

Funny how these "oh, that's so hard" we had as kids still seem so intimidating when they're really not. I still think that Phantom Ganon in OoT was one of the hardest bosses in Ocarina of Time since I was so scared of it as a kid and I had a friend beat him for me the first time. Now? No contest...but he still makes me nervous to fight.

Also I love playing those open-world games and I impose stupid fanrules on myself like "I have to eat at logical times" and "no fast travel!". But Morrowind still freaks me out to leave the cities since I was scared as a kid to go out.

Ahh, memories...

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Stealth says.

stealth is a mixed bag of credibility tbqh. more on the negative side than positive, but sometimes he gets stuff right

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
August Direct makes the most sense anyway imo irrespective of what Stealth says if only because Nintendo has more fall titles and presumably they'd show them at least a little before fall starts.

Keep in mind there's a lot of wiggle-room in that tweet.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Doesn't Sakurai have a "larger than is usual for Smash" team this time? (Probably remembering wrong, saw someone a couple of days ago mention a 100+ team as if it was noteworthy)

He could have two teams for Fighter Creation, both of which he (naturally) oversees; one for Veteran Updates and one for Newcomer Creation. Obviously he'd also have other teams for other features, but it's not relevant to my point.
Yeah, it's confirmed that he has over 100 people working on the game, which is absolutely incredible. Didn't just he and Iwata make Smash 64, or were there some other people on that team as well?

I think people severely underestimate the content that'll be in this game. For one thing, we don't have those stupid split handheld/home console versions this time, the team is larger, and they're using a lot of Wii U assets. It's safe to say that if you thought Smash 4 was lacking in a lot of areas, this game will certainly make up for it.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Second half of August feels too far away tbh. That's a long time between E3 and the next Direct, especially as Ninty have a lot of pressure on their 2018 line up at the moment.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Other "leaks" that mention an August or summer Nintendo Direct:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/421160485/#421160485
>Just call me StinkyButtCheez
>SIMON BELMONT WILL BE REVEALED IN A DIRECT LATER THIS SUMMER AS A NEWCOMER ALONG WITH DRACULA'S CASTLE AS A STAGE
>A STAGE BASED ON MINECRAFT WILL ALSO BE SHOWN ALONG WITH A CREEPER TROPHY
>THE FOOTAGE FROM THE RIDLEY REVEAL AT THE E3 2018 DIRECT WAS TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM ADVENTURE MODE WHICH WILL BE REVEALED IN THE SAME DIRECT.
>FUNKY KONG WILL BE REVEALED AS AN ECHO OF DONKEY KONG.
>FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS WILL BE REVEALED AS A RETURNING STAGE FROM MELEE ALONG WITH YOSHI'S ISLAND N64
>ONLINE MODE WILL HAVE 8 PLAYER SMASH
>AMIIBOS OF INKLING, DAISY, RIDLEY AND SIMON BELMONT WILL BE SHOWN
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422223734
I've got information on an upcoming Nintendo Direct Mini that will be announced later this summer.

>Splatoon 2 is getting a 4.0 update, this update will add new weapons, new gear, and 2 new ranked modes.

>The first mode is called Rocket Blast, in this mode players will need to fire ink at a rocket, if your team hit the rocket more, it will blastoff and land closer to the enemy base.

>The second mode is called Crazy Eight, where you have to push a giant 8 ball to different checkpoints as you make your way towards the enemy base.

>Also, Flounder Heights and Ancho-V Games are returning from Splatoon 1

>Super Mario Odyssey is getting a free update, adding Isle Delphino as a new kingdom. It's also getting more costumes, including an 8bit costume, and they'll show off one new hint artwork. Will be released in the Fall.

>Super Mario Party will have a story mode, a new villain who looks like a dice block is making everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom hate each other. Mario is immune because he doesn't hate anyone, so he has to find a way to save his friends.

>Zelda: Links Awakening is getting a remake for the 3DS, will be released alongside a 2DS Special Edition

>The direct will end with more information about Warioware Gold for 3DS, including amiibo support.

>After this they'll reveal that Ashley will be in Smash Ultimate, along with the Game and Wario stage.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/422688414/#422688414
>Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch final name called Animal Crossing: Future Adventure
>Year of Princess Peach (Since 1985)
>Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle DLCs: Princess Daisy is now in Mario and Rabbids, Wario Bros. And Rosalina will come in the future.
>Super Mario Maker 2
>Super Mario Galaxy 3
>Mario Baseball for Nintendo Switch
>Metroid Prime 4
>Paper Mario for Nintendo Switch
>SSBU: Simon Belmont in Smash, King K. Rool is coming very soon
>Pony Kart, a Mario Kart rip-off, the first game of MLP FiM
>Super Mario Odyssey DLC: Luigi is now playable character, also have two kingdoms are Sarasaland and Delfino Island
>Yoshi final name called Yoshi Flipped Adventure, Including Playable Character as Birdo
>Super Mario Party including Online Mode
>Mario Tennis Aces DLC: including 5 DLC Character Packs as Dixie Kong, King K. Rool and King Boo (DLC Character Pack 1) Funky Kong, Wiggler and Metal Mario (DLC Character Pack 2) Shadow Mario, Geno and Kritter (DLC Character Pack 3) Baby Mario, Nabbit and Pink Gold Peach (DLC Character Pack 4) Gold Mario, Cranky Kong and Pauline (DLC Character Pack 5)
>Mario Golf for Nintendo Switch
>Mario Kart Ultimate
>WarioWare for Switch
>Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS. Reveal Characters as Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Dixie Kong, Toadette, Pauline, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Iggy Koopa, Lemmy Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr., Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Ashley (WarioWare Character), Zeena, Infinite the Jackal, Storm the Albatross, Tikal the Echidna, Chaos Zero, Charmy Bee, Classic Sonic, Mighty the Armadillo, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Honey the Cat and Big the Cat. It was release of 2019/2020
>Project Mario 2019

Zeox

Smash Champion

Yet is still a lot less time that you have to waste than to remade all the characters from zero, like they did from melee to brawl, or from brawl to smash4.
The only characters that they had to remade from zero are the returning veterans.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Saw some EarthBound talk in the previous page. There's a lot of exciting content in this game, but I'm still freaking out over this guy.

EarthBound enemies are so weird. I don't know if the Ramblin' Evil Mushroon is an item or an AT, but I can't wait to see people's confused reaction to it. "...Wait, what's that mushroom thing walking around the stage? Is it from a Mario game or something?"
Hoping it's an item tbh. I want Duster as an Assist Trophy.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
...You know, today would actually be a perfect day to reveal the New Donk City stage more officially.

I mean, it makes too much sense. Which is why it won't happen. :chrono:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Stealth says.

Assuming this is true, this might be when we get our first newcomer post-E3. I'm not ruling out a newcomer reveal in July just yet though. It's possible we could get a character trailer released worldwide in a way similar to Robin/Lucina's trailer.

Heck, we could even randomly get a newcomer revealed to us on Ultimate's website one day. Who knows?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
>SIMON BELMONT WILL BE REVEALED IN A DIRECT LATER THIS SUMMER AS A NEWCOMER ALONG WITH DRACULA'S CASTLE AS A STAGE
>THE FOOTAGE FROM THE RIDLEY REVEAL AT THE E3 2018 DIRECT WAS TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM ADVENTURE MODE WHICH WILL BE REVEALED IN THE SAME DIRECT.
>FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS WILL BE REVEALED AS A RETURNING STAGE FROM MELEE ALONG WITH YOSHI'S ISLAND N64
I've got information on an upcoming Nintendo Direct Mini that will be announced later this summer.

>Splatoon 2 is getting a 4.0 update, this update will add new weapons, new gear, and 2 new ranked modes.

>The first mode is called Rocket Blast, in this mode players will need to fire ink at a rocket, if your team hit the rocket more, it will blastoff and land closer to the enemy base.

>The second mode is called Crazy Eight, where you have to push a giant 8 ball to different checkpoints as you make your way towards the enemy base.

>Super Mario Odyssey is getting a free update, adding Isle Delphino as a new kingdom. It's also getting more costumes, including an 8bit costume, and they'll show off one new hint artwork. Will be released in the Fall.

>Super Mario Party will have a story mode, a new villain who looks like a dice block is making everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom hate each other. Mario is immune because he doesn't hate anyone, so he has to find a way to save his friends.

>Zelda: Links Awakening is getting a remake for the 3DS, will be released alongside a 2DS Special Edition

>The direct will end with more information about Warioware Gold for 3DS, including amiibo support.

>After this they'll reveal that Ashley will be in Smash Ultimate, along with the Game and Wario stage.
>Animal Crossing for Nintendo Switch final name called Animal Crossing: Future Adventure
>Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle DLCs: Princess Daisy is now in Mario and Rabbids, Wario Bros. And Rosalina will come in the future.
>Super Mario Maker 2
>Super Mario Galaxy 3
>Metroid Prime 4
>Super Mario Odyssey DLC: Luigi is now playable character, also have two kingdoms are Sarasaland and Delfino Island
>Yoshi final name called Yoshi Flipped Adventure, Including Playable Character as Birdo
>Mario Tennis Aces DLC: including 5 DLC Character Packs as Dixie Kong, King K. Rool and King Boo (DLC Character Pack 1) Funky Kong, Wiggler and Metal Mario (DLC Character Pack 2) Shadow Mario, Geno and Kritter (DLC Character Pack 3) Baby Mario, Nabbit and Pink Gold Peach (DLC Character Pack 4) Gold Mario, Cranky Kong and Pauline (DLC Character Pack 5)
>Mario Kart Ultimate
>WarioWare for Switch
>Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS. Reveal Characters as Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Dixie Kong, Toadette, Pauline, Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Iggy Koopa, Lemmy Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr., Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Ashley (WarioWare Character), Zeena, Infinite the Jackal, Storm the Albatross, Tikal the Echidna, Chaos Zero, Charmy Bee, Classic Sonic, Mighty the Armadillo, Ray the Flying Squirrel, Honey the Cat and Big the Cat. It was release of 2019/2020
>Project Mario 2019
These are some ****ing doozies, that last one is PRIMO quality. If it weren't for the greentexting, I'd say it came straight from GameFAQs. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if some clueless kid was greentexting on GameFAQs.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

>Super Mario Maker 2
>Super Mario Galaxy 3
>Metroid Prime 4
>Mario Kart Ultimate
>WarioWare for Switch
>Project Mario 2019
I'd happily take all three tbh.

I don't think 3 has any chance due to the new "Mario" in every DLC pack.....thats a little much even for Nintendo.

(Also stinkybuttcheez? Ugh. Typed in all caps too....unacceptable.)

If any of them are true it would be 2.

ASHLEY CONFIRMED WOOT

EDIT: Glossed over the Mario Party stuff cause I didn't care....annnnnd Ashley isn't confirmed and people suck at making leaks. ;-;

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master

>Super Mario Maker 2
>Super Mario Galaxy 3
>Metroid Prime 4
>Mario Kart Ultimate
>WarioWare for Switch
>Project Mario 2019
lol 8 player online
yeah right, 4 player online barely works

second "leak" is piggybacking off of leaked stuff for splatoon 2, but doesnt know the rocket mode has been in since launch as was likely scrapped

3rd leak is just absurd

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's confirmed that he has over 100 people working on the game, which is absolutely incredible. Didn't just he and Iwata make Smash 64, or were there some other people on that team as well?

I think people severely underestimate the content of this game. For one thing, we don't have split handheld/home console versions this time, the team is larger, and they're using a lot of Wii U assets. It's safe to say that if you thought Smash 4 was lacking in a lot of areas, this game will certainly make up for it.
Okay, let's play hypotheticals here.

Let's say Sakurai had a team of 50+ people working on Smash 4 (not saying he did, just go with me for a minute), and now has 100+ people working on the singular Smash Ultimate.

That would be four times as much productivity (twice as many people working on half as many games), well... unless...

Too many cooks! Too many cooks~... Too many cooks! Too MANY coo~ooks!

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
stealth is a mixed bag of credibility tbqh. more on the negative side than positive, but sometimes he gets stuff right
That sounds like he throws out a bunch of vauge ideas and is right 1/5th of the the time. I don't understand why people are willing to believe in anybody who has nothing more than unsubstantiated claims. Monkeys and typewriters, if we put stock in all of these random guesses, eventually someone will be accurate.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Super Mario Party will have a story mode, a new villain who looks like a dice block is making everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom hate each other. Mario is immune because he doesn't hate anyone, so he has to find a way to save his friends.
I still think this is simultaneously the dumbest and most brilliant idea for a Mario story that I've ever heard.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
That sounds like he throws out a bunch of vauge ideas and is right 1/5th of the the time. I don't understand why people are willing to believe in anybody who has nothing more than unsubstantiated claims. Monkeys and typewriters, if we put stock in all of these random guesses, eventually someone will be accurate.
eh, more like 40% of 1/3rd. he definitely has contacts

but honestly, mid august is so late in the game and predictable so who cares

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

>Super Mario Maker 2
>Super Mario Galaxy 3
>Metroid Prime 4
>Mario Kart Ultimate
>WarioWare for Switch
>Project Mario 2019
Yoshi's Island 64 has already been announced as a stage

What's the Year of Princess Peach? Her 35th anniversary? That's way too weird. Plus 2020 should be Yoshi's Year

Why do people always insist that Birdo should be playable in Yoshi games?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

What's the Year of Princess Peach? Her 35th anniversary? That's way too weird. Plus 2020 should be Yoshi's Year

I always thought Birdo was just a female Yoshi tbh.

No lie I just assumed that until I was like 17.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Stealth says.

mayro doubt.png

We just saw Ado get her teaser for Star Allies, I can only assume the reason we haven't got a release date yet for Wave 2 is because she hasn't been shown off and they were waiting for every playable character's reveal, it's supposed to come out in Summer and she's right about to be revealed this week, I imagine they'd use a direct to show that off and I'll be shocked if we don't get actually get a direct this month just because of that.

Untouch

Smash Master

yoshi and birdo were partners in double dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom