• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
It's just...

We've had this happen about fifteen times now.
Okay but there's correcting someone and then there's flying off the handle, there's no reason to

TYPE

THIS!!!!!!

for anything. In case you haven't been paying attention, any and all discussion going on has been centered around the ballot and Bayonetta and the thread has been moving at warpspeed, it's pretty understandable that not everyone is hyper up to date on an extremely misleading duo of screenshots. Like damn, the nerve.

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I'm glad that they're keeping some things secret and teasing us with things that might imply future content.
Keeps the hype and speculation train chugging.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
It wasn't just that Bayo's data existed before the ballot finished, it existed in an update that released only two weeks after the Ballot launched, meaning Bayonetta (and Cloud) were already planned and being actively developed before the Ballot even launched.
Like I said; "so what?"
Polling drops off within days. They'd already have a solid idea of who "won" the ballot almost as soon as it went up. You just don't maintain consistent traffic like that for six months. Nintendo weren't exactly signalboosting the thing every single day.

The fact that they pushed ZSS as a param update literally only implies that internally they'd come to the decision to make Bayonetta, but it does not imply that the character was already negotiated, especially since it took a whole 10 months until the character finally released. It's not as if her name is literally in there; the easy explanation is that they were hedging their bets, because despite the character likely being easy to negotiate it isn't a solid guarantee of her inclusion. If Bayonetta was fully decided before the ballot even started, I find it hard to believe that she'd release as late as February 2016, as the longer they take on including new content the less of a benefit it becomes financially - the game has less mindshare to go around, especially since it was also on a dying console (hell this is why other, more aggressively promoted games flaunt season passes because it's the most reliable way to make money off of DLC while the game is still fresh in people's minds).

Nintendo would have had nothing to gain by willingly bringing up the ballot and obfuscating the results. When Cloud was talked about in the presentation, they brought up that they'd received a lot of requests to include a Final Fantasy character - and bear in mind that the ballot even asks to specify what game/series the character stems from. It would've been easier to position him as the winner of the ballot, while Bayonetta could've been.... anything else. The fact that they decided on Bayonetta early is something I believe, but that doesn't mean that she wasn't decided on results that were actually real.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
I beg your pardon?

Well that was me trying to be funny. If it came off badly I apologize, but no ill intent was meant.
You always seem very on edge.

Also, if it was meant to be conveyed as a joke, just try to be more aware of the way you structure/word things online.

EDIT: I mean, I'm new here, so I might've just jumped to conclusions about you, but that's been my impression the past few days.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Damn dude, this is the first I'm hearing about it, are you okay?

Really? That super sucks, I really wish they would have announced that the Mushroom is an item officially instead of making me believe we were getting a new EB stage.
How that sucks? We have four Mother stages and only one Xenoblade stage.

Wambo

Smash Ace
How that sucks? We have four Mother stages and only one Xenoblade stage.
It sucks because it's always a treat to see various things from the Mother series transition to 3D, especially since there's not much hope of it ever recieving another entry. Smash has pretty much been it's home since Brawl, same thing goes for Captain Falcon (unfortunately).

And you gotta admit, Magicant looks BEAUTIFUL. Seeing a place like Saturn Valley or Moonside brought to 3D would be awesome.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Like I said; "so what?"
Polling drops off within days. They'd already have a solid idea of who "won" the ballot almost as soon as it went up. You just don't maintain consistent traffic like that for six months. Nintendo weren't exactly signalboosting the thing every single day.

The fact that they pushed ZSS as a param update literally only implies that internally they'd come to the decision to make Bayonetta, but it does not imply that the character was already negotiated, especially since it took a whole 10 months until the character finally released. It's not as if her name is literally in there; the easy explanation is that they were hedging their bets, because despite the character likely being easy to negotiate it isn't a solid guarantee of her inclusion. If Bayonetta was fully decided before the ballot even started, I find it hard to believe that she'd release as late as February 2016, as the longer they take on including new content the less of a benefit it becomes financially - the game has less mindshare to go around, especially since it was also on a dying console (hell this is why other, more aggressively promoted games flaunt season passes because it's the most reliable way to make money off of DLC while the game is still fresh in people's minds).

Nintendo would have had nothing to gain by willingly bringing up the ballot and obfuscating the results. When Cloud was talked about in the presentation, they brought up that they'd received a lot of requests to include a Final Fantasy character - and bear in mind that the ballot even asks to specify what game/series the character stems from. It would've been easier to position him as the winner of the ballot, while Bayonetta could've been.... anything else. The fact that they decided on Bayonetta early is something I believe, but that doesn't mean that she wasn't decided on results that were actually real.
It probably would've taken over 2 weeks to obtain permission to use Cloud and Bayonetta which makes me think they decided before.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
It sucks because it's always a treat to see various things from the Mother series transition to 3D, especially since there's not much hope of it ever receiving another entry in the series. Smash has pretty much been its home since Brawl, the same thing goes for Captain Falcon (unfortunately).

And you gotta admit, Magicant looks BEAUTIFUL. Seeing a place like Saturn Valley or Moonside brought to 3D would be awesome.
Seeing Kumatora get her first OFFICIAL 3D model was definitely a treat. And Boney I guess.

Look at that. You've gotta be kidding me:

Isn't Boney supposed to be a Chocolate Lab? He looks more like an American Water Spaniel.

It's great. Being a Mother fan is good.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It probably would've taken over 2 weeks to obtain permission to use Cloud and Bayonetta which makes me think they decided before.
They might decided before negotiations. At worst, they would have two placeholder.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be nice to have Raichu:026: as an echo fighter for Pikachu?
It would complete the trio...

... Nah, I wouldn't wanna risk compromising Geno's development time.

Seeing Kumatora get her first OFFICIAL 3D model was definitely a treat. And Boney I guess.

Kumatora looks exactly how she should in 3D. They designed her perfectly.

(Please let there be a little more Mother content we don't know about yet, please Sakurai...)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I saw someone mentionning Brinstar Depth, which remind me that, if this stage return, I hope they upgrade the background. Beside Kraid, this stage is just..kinda of boring to look at.

Yeah, they are pipes here and there, and a big wall of what seem to be made of wires, but beside that, it's lava and lava. Which is weird since this is supposed to be base off Kraid's Lair, but there wasn't lava anywhere in SM version of Kraid's Lair atleast. If they bring this level back, I hope it ressemble more either the room before you get to Kraid.

Or the room where the big guy is.

Or they could combine the old look with those rooms too.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Isn't Boney supposed to be a Chocolate Lab? He looks more like an American Water Spaniel.

Duster assist trophy please sakurai.

masked man and porky id like in the game in some way as well tbh.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Kumatora looks exactly how she should in 3D. They designed her perfectly.

(Please let there be a little more Mother content we don't know about yet, please Sakurai...)
Heck yeah, they did. The thing I like about Paula and Poo is that, like Ness, they're designed to look exactly like their official clay models.

Kumatora doesn't have an official clay model but her Ultimate model is based on her sprite in Mother 3:

...and Boney. It's well done.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

This combined with how Ness and Lucas show off their funky rhombuses and octagons when they use their PSI warm my heart. I think the only thing that could top this is Nintendo letting us use those models as alt skins. Would Kuma using Rope Snake, PK Love and kicks make any sense? No, but I'd roll over and die if she were a playable alt.

D

Deleted member

Is a fortnite rep possible at all that may have some interesting mechanics

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bandana Dee

No...we only need Viridi

Sonic and Shadow maybe
I should point out that Viridi started out as an antagonist at first.

As long as Dixie has a recovery using her hair. Everything else can be taken from Diddy. Just make the peanut gun a bubblegum gun.

She wouldn’t be an echo, but it would be super easy and at least she’s be in the game
>bubblegum charges too much and explodes
>Dixie is covered in bubblegum for a couple seconds
That'd be fun to see.

I'm curious if the push for Shovel Knight will even amount to anything. While a popular game by indie standards, not too many people outside of the internet would really too familiar with him.

I'd still slightly prefer Shantae, since she has more than 1 main game to her name.
Yeah, as much as I want Shovel Knight in there, the guy just had expansions (of which the last one finally just got released this year), and lord knows what Yacht Club Games will do next. Also, Shantae has more official backing from Inti Creates anyway.

On that note, how likely is Jason to be in Smash? Sophia could use the retired Landmaster FS as a base.

Kirby threw a guy into the sun. Granted, that was in the anime, but he's also gone up against gods and won multiple times.

Dude's scary.
He recently cancelled the apocalypse, too.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Kirby wants to eat cake and nap in the shade. If you mess with that, he will take you down and then come back again and kill your soul too just to be sure.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just heard the latest music that was uploaded on the website.

Now I'm sad because I can't hear the full song, it's so gooooood, but man, it make the wait harder. :C

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Saw some EarthBound talk in the previous page. There's a lot of exciting content in this game, but I'm still freaking out over this guy.

EarthBound enemies are so weird. I don't know if the Ramblin' Evil Mushroon is an item or an AT, but I can't wait to see people's confused reaction to it. "...Wait, what's that mushroom thing walking around the stage? Is it from a Mario game or something?"

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The Smash Blog is only showing us what we already know. They're even only showing characters that have already been showcased. This is pain...

I'm still waiting for SOMETHING about Yoshi or his series

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Haven't played mother but Boney is great.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Saw some EarthBound talk in the previous page. There's a lot of exciting content in this game, but I'm still freaking out over this guy.

EarthBound enemies are so weird. I don't know if the Ramblin' Evil Mushroon is an item or an AT, but I can't wait to see people's confused reaction to it. "...Wait, what's that mushroom thing walking around the stage? Is it from a Mario game or something?"
Earthbound enemies are the best, you have things like Territorial Oak, Annoying Old Party Guy, Boogey Tent and Tangoo.

Like, seriously, what even is this?:

It's such a gem of a game.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Is it at all possible that the Ballot was just intended to be a suggestion box like we originally thought and Bayonetta was employed to have a large amount of votes but didn't win from it?

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Today's Stage
Kongo Falls
Face off against your foes atop a raft stuck at the edge of a waterfall. How well you utilize the rock jutting out at the bottom right can be the difference between victory or defeat!

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just realized but Mother actually quite a lot content in the game for a franchise with only three games, especially considering the last one is more than a decade old.

D

Deleted member

I can't get over how good Magicant looks.

That's the only stage I needed.
Magicant looks so beautiful in Ultimate.
Everything looks so beautiful in Ultimate. Like there is not design that looks too bad in Ultimate.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just realized but Mother actually quite a lot content in the game for a franchise with only three games, especially considering the last one is more than a decade old.
Sakurai is a fan if I'm not mistaken, so that has obviously helped, but it also just has a ton of content to take from in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom