• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I don't think that Pyrosphere is coming back due to Ridley becoming playable.
It could without the boss. Personally, I'd prefer something at least recolored though. Metroid's got enough lava-themed stages; I'd like something else. Like the cold metal of Samus/Pika's Subspace levels, or even something like that bridge from Ridley's trailer. Beyond Ridley, I don't think Pyrosphere had that much to offer, but then again I was salty and didn't play that stage much.

And the Pyrosphere boss could totally go to Alduin on a Skyrim stage...

D

Deleted member

People need to get over the ballot.
We are in a new game now. Bayonetta was chosen by Sakurai and his team, and they are the creator of the games.
Forever locked away by the prison that is Stage Hazard toggle.
In his prison he is probably eating donuts and having a good time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Wait I just realized something...would it take much to simply reuse already existing character models to build characters from? I got the whole idea from ZSS to build Bayo and Ike for Cloud, but for characters like Chrom, Dark Samus, Shadow, Isabelle and Ashley, they all already have ingame models. Not sure how that works though but just something I thought.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also, I don't think that Pyrosphere is coming back due to Ridley becoming playable.
That didn't stop 8-bit DK in 75m.

Not to mention Ridley in Other M was a clone of Ridley, iirc, so seeing him alongside playable Ridley wouldn't feel as farfetched as two Toon Links in Spirit Train.

Or alternatively...

Alfonso: "Leave it to me!"

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Wait I just realized something...would it take much to simply reuse already existing character models to build characters from? I got the whole idea from ZSS to build Bayo and Ike for Cloud, but for characters like Chrom, Dark Samus, Shadow, Isabelle and Ashley, they all already have ingame models. Not sure how that works though but just something I thought.
I thought that the data copied their stats - fall speed, weight, etc. - not the models.

But that does bring up an interesting point: If Assists are now KOable, then they would also need to have weight/fall speed stats now as well...? And what about the Pokémon, are some of them KOable now too?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I should point out that Viridi started out as an antagonist at first.
She went from a Thanos/Killmonger type of villain (or atleast in the middle) into a full on ally/good goddess/goat
It could without the boss
Pyrosphere could always have an Alfonzo situation when it comes to Ridley (or no boss at all without Ridley)
Alfonso: "Leave it to me!"
If only he could do that to Bayonetta

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
People need to get over the ballot.
We are in a new game now. Bayonetta was chosen by Sakurai and his team, and they are the creator of the games.
The thing that riles up people is the fact that she supposedly had files ready for her as early as April 2015, implying she was already in the works.

But personally, I just think that she did genuinely score high in the ballot, so the devs took the opportunity to brand a character that was already worked on as the ballot's winner (among realizable characters) due to the convenience of it all.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Today's Stage
Kongo Falls
Face off against your foes atop a raft stuck at the edge of a waterfall. How well you utilize the rock jutting out at the bottom right can be the difference between victory or defeat!
I still can't get over just how gorgeous the returning and 3DS stages look. This and Peach's Castle being my favourites.

I really hope they do add Fountain of Dreams and Metal Cave, seeing both of those stages would be a massive treat.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Why, everytime peoples talk about Metroid stage having all lava or acid, they all forget about :frigate:?

And no, the only reason why you wanted to forget this stage is gone thanks to hazard toggle off, so no excuse.:4wendy:

Beside that, did you see how gorgeous the Parasite Queen look in HD? God, it make me want a Metroid Prime Remake for the Switch...

osby

Smash Obsessed
The models are really simple but you are right, it might help. Though animations and stats might have helped, I don't know.

D

Deleted member

Wait.... was not Dark Samus shown as an AT in E3?
Why do people still think she is a potential newcomer? Am I wrong?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Wait.... was not Dark Samus shown as an AT in E3?
Why do people still think she is a potential newcomer? Am I wrong?
No one would be speculating her as an Echo Fighter if she was confirmed as an AT.

But the combination of her being missing in action, the odd lack of Dark Samus palette for Samus and the fact that an assist being promoted to playable is not without precedent (Charizard and Little Mac) actually makes it possible.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Why, everytime peoples talk about Metroid stage having all lava or acid, they all forget about :frigate:?

And no, the only reason why you wanted to forget this stage is gone thanks to hazard toggle off, so no excuse.:4wendy:

Beside that, did you see how gorgeous the Parasite Queen look in HD? God, it make me want a Metroid Prime Remake for the Switch...
The excuse...is that a stage like Brinstar is a pimped put stage
Dark Samus hasn't appeared anywhere yet.
Or Dark Samus is deciding to hide in plain sight to make sure DS can sneak into Smash as a playable character

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
It probably would've taken over 2 weeks to obtain permission to use Cloud and Bayonetta which makes me think they decided before.
I think you're heavily misunderstanding my point. You don't have to "negotiate" putting duplicate parameter data of your own characters. Neither Sega nor Square have copyright on "ZSS" or "Ike". The one thing it most certainly implies is the fact that Nintendo knew which characters they wanted to add. Cloud was probably predicated already beforehand and was separate from the ballot given how he released early (and Square being notoriously difficult to negotiate with), so I believe he was already in the works at that point, but he was still in a decent spot to be positioned as a ballot winner if they were planning on obfuscating results. Bayonetta on the other hand... wasn't. And she came out much later; a whole 10 months after the ballot opened. It seems extremely unlikely to me that she was negotiated pre-ballot.

The game was also on the successful 3DS.
Yes, you'll notice the sentence you quoted said "also". Fact is the game had content developed for two platforms (more expensive); and not even the 3DS is exempt from the fact that post-launch DLC for games inherently makes less money, especially the further away the game is from it's release.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It probably would've taken over 2 weeks to obtain permission to use Cloud and Bayonetta which makes me think they decided before.
Honestly, it's just a matter of reusing resources because when making new characters, it's better to start off with something rather than nothing.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
One thing I'd like to remind everyone about Assist Trophies is that only a single character has ever managed to make the transition from an AT to a playable character using their own merits (guarantee you Charizard wouldn't have gotten in Brawl without the Pokemon Trainer gimmick).

A lot of people are under the impression that ATs have the best chance of becoming a playable character, but so far, there hasn't really been much to support this. If anything, being an AT could actually make it harder for a character to get in Smash just because Sakurai might have felt like that was the best way to represent them. We already got the ball rolling with the disconfirmation of Waluigi, Lyn, and Takamaru. Wouldn't be surprised if Dark Damus, Shadow, and Ashley followed shortly.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I thought that the data copied their stats - fall speed, weight, etc. - not the models.

But that does bring up an interesting point: If Assists are now KOable, then they would also need to have weight/fall speed stats now as well...? And what about the Pokémon, are some of them KOable now too?
I'm almost certain Pokemon are not KOable. At least from the footage I've watched.

My boyfriend brought up an interesting point that it would make Goldeen wayyyyy worse to get as it would be the easiest KO to score a point. And I watched a fight where they got a Goldeen and attacks went straight through so yeah I don't think so.

Also I'm a little lost on two things. In stock fights, does an Assist KO take away an opponent stock??? That seems a little much...also how does that work if they are on their last stock? Anyone seen this yet?
Also people keep mentioning Assist Stock Icons to represent their KOs...have we actually confirmed this? Would be cool!

D

Deleted member

Bandanna Dee deserves his chances the most because he got nothing in Smash 4.
No Mii Costume, no AT... nothing.

At least King K. Rool got a Mii costume.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
One thing I'd like to remind everyone about Assist Trophies is that only a single character has ever managed to make the transition from an AT to a playable character using their own merits (guarantee you Charizard wouldn't have gotten in Brawl without the Pokemon Trainer gimmick).

A lot of people are under the impression that AT's have the best chance of becoming a playable character, but so far, there hasn't really been much to support this. If anything, being an AT could actually make it harder for a character to get in Smash just because Sakurai might have felt like that was the best way to represent them. We already got the ball rolling with the disconfirmation of Waluigi, Lyn, and Takamaru. Wouldn't be surprised if Dark Damus, Shadow, and Ashley followed shortly.
True, but again, some of them might deserve it by their own merits.

Some of the missing ATs could make the promotion to playable by their own merits, just like you said.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Bandanna Dee deserves his chances the most because he got nothing in Smash 4.
No Mii Costume, no AT... nothing.

At least King K. Rool got a Mii costume.
He was in Smash Run. He forgot his bandana at home and had to walk around in the nude. Can't believe you don't recognize him!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

A lot of people are under the impression that ATs have the best chance of becoming a playable character, but so far, there hasn't really been much to support this. If anything, being an AT could actually make it harder for a character to get in Smash just because Sakurai might have felt like that was the best way to represent them. We already got the ball rolling with the disconfirmation of Waluigi, Lyn, and Takamaru. Wouldn't be surprised if Dark Damus, Shadow, and Ashley followed shortly.
Well with assist trophies they’ve only been around for 3 games, and:ultlittlemac:was the first/only to do so...between two games...so ATs still have a chance in getting into Smash (well...atleast one at a time), but for now we can’t prove/disprove the AT assumption of them getting the massive promotion (the Charizard part though...that can’t really be guaranteed)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unpopular opinion of the day:

Frigate Orpheon has always been one of my favorite stages, mostly due to Metroid Prime 1 being my BGE, and seeing it getting cut in Smash 4 rather broke my heart.

Now I can't wait to make it my home stage with my boi :ultshulk: everytime I'll fight with friends.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Unpopular opinion of the day:

Frigate Orpheon has always been one of my favorite stages, mostly due to Metroid Prime 1 being my BGE, and seeing it getting cut in Smash 4 rather broke my heart.

Now I can't wait to make it my home stage with my boi :ultshulk: everytime I'll fight with friends.
I liked the idea of that stage, honestly.

Flipping around and getting a new layout? That's pretty unique.

D

Deleted member

In all fairness, it's just a Waddle Dee wearing a bandana.
No, it is more special than that. It actually helps out Kirby in its adventure and it is slightly more red than the other Waddle Dees.
Plus it was in Meta Knight's slick crew at one point.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm pretty all but the mii verse comes back in other words I think they tricked you guys with a loop hole of miiverse being impossible to come back since it's shut down

But if that's not the case got some predictions kudos to who made this
IMG_1089.JPG

Green circles means yes
Yellow question mark means debating
Red X means I think it won't make it (if miiverse is not the only stage that fails to return)

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
No, it is more special than that. It actually helps out Kirby in its adventure and it is slightly more red than the other Waddle Dees.
Plus it was in Meta Knight's slick crew at one point.
Yeah, I know how important he is.

I'm just talking about his visual design. It's super simplistic.

And Waddles Dees aren't exactly humanoid...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He was in Smash Run. He forgot his bandana at home and had to walk around in the nude. Can't believe you don't recognize him!
Wrong, because of you took off his bandanna, he would look like this.
stupid.jpg
Yeah, I know how important he is.

I'm just talking about his visual design. It's super simplistic.

And Waddles Dees aren't exactly humanoid...
Bandanaa Dee is just a tiny bit more red than the rest of the Waddle Dees.
Still, Bandanna Dee may look similar in design but he is different form your average Waddle Dee.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm pretty all but the mii verse comes back in other words I think they tricked you guys with a loop hole of miiverse being impossible to come back since it's shut down

But if that's not the case got some predictions kudos to who made this
View attachment 151467
Green circles means yes
Yellow question mark means debating
Red X means I think it won't make it (if miiverse is not the only stage that fails to return)
Unless the Sonic series gained a new stage, why wouldn’t Windy Hill return
Miiverse can return. Just fake the background images.
Or they can still get messages the same way Splatoon 2 does in their hub

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I don't think a potential character's current role is something Sakurai necessarily takes into consideration when he's re-evaluating said character, I think he approaches it as if the slate is completely blank, and if the character still falls short it simply stays as it was. Doesn't really matter if it's an AT, Pokéball Pokémon, Boss, etc, it's likely the same exact routine as a potential character who's never appeared in Smash, it's neither a plus or a negative.

I agree that most ATs that people are jabbering about being promoted will likely still end up being ATs though, there are some who look way too much into certain ATs not being included in a bloody demo, the only thing it means is that they're still alive, but chances are it's only to die another day.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
It could without the boss. Personally, I'd prefer something at least recolored though. Metroid's got enough lava-themed stages; I'd like something else. Like the cold metal of Samus/Pika's Subspace levels, or even something like that bridge from Ridley's trailer. Beyond Ridley, I don't think Pyrosphere had that much to offer, but then again I was salty and didn't play that stage much.
I want Phendrana Drifts from Metroid Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom