• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Something I've been randomly thinking about recently...I've been playing Smash 3DS again just because it's convenient to play around the house. I've picked stages I was excited about seeing in the trailer, and I particularly like playing on the Animal Crossing Tortimer's Island stage.

A familiar aspect to Smash speculation is the idea that characters "represent" their series with their moveset, and I've always only partially agreed with that. I've never thought that representing the series was more important than having a well put together moveset, and the Tortimer's Island stage reinforced this to me.

Now, I'd like to start and say that I have nothing against Isabelle and would probably be excited to see her playable. However, there were a few things that people say that she would "represent", but for the Animal Crossing series in particular, I think it's incredibly well represented just through stages alone.

By represented, I mean the way the game works. In Town & City, which is based on City Folk, The stage moves between the town in which the characters live their everyday lives, to the City life that that game in particular thrived off of. In the City, characters like Gracie show up, representing the fashion aspect of Animal Crossing...well, the snobby fashion anyway! Then there's the social aspect of Animal Crossing on Saturday nights at 8 pm, when K.K. Slider shows up to play. I always thought that was one of the coolest things Sakurai added.

On Tortimer's Island, not only does it show that other part of Animal Crossing with the islands, but there are fish in the water, edible fruit in the trees, and Kap'n on a boat off to the sides. These are all functions of the Animal Crossing game that are represented in a non-playable role. I think it makes perfect sense.

When I hear ideas that Isabelle would "use Public works projects", that to me doesn't make as much sense. Isabelle doesn't just "make" projects, she puts the plan into motion with the help of the Town. The Public Works projects seems like they'd work far better as a function of a stage, similar to Town and City, though I'm not sure how many Animal Crossing stages we're going to get.

Basically, not everything from every series needs to be represented through a playable moveset, especially when it doesn't really translate to a good moveset that portrays the character well. This is exactly the same thing with the no-creativity Mario Party/Tennis Waluigi movesets.

This is not an anti-Isabelle post, but more of just an observation of how Sakurai represents series in other ways.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Call it as we may, even though not all stages arw returning, i would buy a season pass to get the left out ones.

I like that all old characters are returning. Hated cuts. Same goes for some stages.

Honestly hoping all trophies also make a return .

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Tracks like this make me upset all the songs in Smash Bros. are cut to 2 minutes
One of the weirdest choices from Brawl to 4. Just put in the whose song!

A lot of Brawl's remixes though were set to two minutes, which is ok for a remix. But if they're just porting the original *coughDK Rapcough* they should absolutely leave the full song!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I thought of a fun game!
Based on the remaining stages pick your top 5 you want to return that haven't been confirmed yet. Doesn't have to be in order. Here's the pic for referenView attachment 151470

5. Orbital Gate - I thought this stage was gorgeous on the Wii U and I can't wait to see it on the Switch. I also thought it was a fun stage and showed an aspect of Star Fox that wasn't just fight one one ship.
4. Meta Crystal - Would be a superrrrr cool call back. I don't know if it's possible though since it was never a selectable stage.
3. Pac Maze - The superior Pac Man stage and I'm worried it won't come back due to "1 stage per third party series". Hopefully that's wrong.
2. Brinstar Depths - What a cool stage! Make it prettier and it would be amazing.
1. Poke Floats - Despite being one of the laziest stages made, it is the best stage in Smash history, nuff said. Can't have Smash Ultimate without it.
5. Yoshi's Story (Melee)
4. Mushroom Kingdom (Smash 64)
3. Pac-Maze
2. Fountain of Dreams
1. Metal Cavern

Honorable mentions to Mute City (Melee) Pokémon Stadium (Melee) Jungle Japes (Melee) Brinstar (Melee) Honestly, Melee absolutely nails the stages in ALL of Smash history.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This is beautiful, I really hope they do it like Mario Kart 8's style.

Oh that is interesting.
Mushroom Kingdom 64 looked kind of dull in Smash 4. I am hoping it looks great in Ultimate.
You're thinking of Peach's Castle, not Mushroom Kingdom.

MK64 hasn't returned since... 64.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
1. Implication is not explicitly saying anything.
2. Just making the slots doesn't mean much if they're inaccessible to players.
Correct on both counts but, they still might have done bugtesting to absolutely make sure there aren't any CSS bugs as a result of adding additional "characters" to the game, you can never be too careful, but also, one thing I should have brought up is that in Patch 1.0.6. there was a lot of changes, it wasn't just the slots, there was a lot happening. The slots themselves aren't the big thing that'd need the most testing, and hypothetically they could have been among the first things added and created earlier than just two weeks in.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Honestly the fact that they brought back Pac Land and haven't shown off Pac Maze truly upsets me. If Pac Maze doesn't come back I'm gonna be on a next level of salty.

D

Deleted member

Oh, oops.

Yes the Mushroom Kingdom one is good.
I like the retro feel to it and that there is a buzzy beedle bouncing on the spring.
I heard Sakurai's wife added that in or something.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I thought of a fun game!
Based on the remaining stages pick your top 5 you want to return that haven't been confirmed yet. Doesn't have to be in order. Here's the pic for reference.
View attachment 151470

5. Orbital Gate - I thought this stage was gorgeous on the Wii U and I can't wait to see it on the Switch. I also thought it was a fun stage and showed an aspect of Star Fox that wasn't just fight one one ship.
4. Meta Crystal - Would be a superrrrr cool call back. I don't know if it's possible though since it was never a selectable stage.
3. Pac Maze - The superior Pac Man stage and I'm worried it won't come back due to "1 stage per third party series". Hopefully that's wrong.
2. Brinstar Depths - What a cool stage! Make it prettier and it would be amazing.
1. Poke Floats - Despite being one of the laziest stages made, it is the best stage in Smash history, nuff said. Can't have Smash Ultimate without it.
  1. Pac-Maze - More iconic to Pac-Man then Pac-Land will ever be, they can just eliminate the screen gimmick from the stage
  2. Meta Crystal - Would be cool to finally have it as an official selectable stage outside of modding
  3. Fountain of Dreams - It was indeed a very pretty stage. Would be great to see it upscaled to HD
  4. Brinstar Depths - It'd just be awesome to be able to play as Ridley while a giant Kraid is in the background I feel. Plus the new remix is cool
  5. Windy Hill Zone - This may be a bit of an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't mind if Windy Hill made it back even if it meant no new Sonic stage. This was a pretty good 8-player stage that was widespread enough but not convoluted like Great Cave Offensive or Palutena's Temple.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Honestly the fact that they brought back Pac Land and haven't shown off Pac Maze truly upsets me. If Pac Maze doesn't come back I'm gonna be on a next level of salty.
Same, I'd be annoyed they chose Pac-Land over the maze, both because the maze is stupid levels of iconic and because I think Pac-Land is the worst stage in the series bar none, normally I'm not one to whine about graphics but it really needed a visual upgrade, in the modern day it looks like it was made in MSPaint, it does not look good at all lol.
MSPaint land.png
mspaint 2.jpg

It's absolutely ugly.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I thought of a fun game!
Based on the remaining stages pick your top 5 you want to return that haven't been confirmed yet.
In no particular order:

Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
Woolly World (Wii U)
Gamer (Wii U)

But I do want many more old stages coming back.

They can always reboot the series in Smash 6 with 50+ new stages and 20+ newcomers.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Same, I'd be annoyed they chose Pac-Land over the maze, both because the maze is stupid levels of iconic and because I think Pac-Land is the worst stage in the series bar none, normally I'm not one to whine about graphics but it really needed a visual upgrade, in the modern day it looks like it was made in MSPaint, it does not look good at all lol.
I know Sakurai's into that obscure trash, but this is honestly repulsive. It's not retro like Balloon Fight or Duck Hunt, so at the very least they could have remade it for 3D. The fact that development time was used to make this a stage instead of porting over Pac Maze offends me.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, cut it some slack...

Paint.net was really revolutionary at the time.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I thought of a fun game!
Based on the remaining stages pick your top 5 you want to return that haven't been confirmed yet. Doesn't have to be in order. Here's the pic for reference.
View attachment 151470

1. Peach's Castle 64
2. Fountain of Dreams
3. Pirate Ship
4. Delfino Plaza
5. Mushroom Kingdom 64

Honorable Mentions: Yoshi's Island Melee, Meta Crystal, Brinstar Depths, and Pac-Maze

Pakky

Smash Hero
huh... I am offended, weird.

D

Deleted member

I thought of a fun game!
1. Yoshi's Island
2. Poke Floats
3. Brinstar Depths
4. Woolly World
5. Dream Land

I know I'm probably late to comment on it, but I heard the remix for City Trial last night and oh my goodness they really kicked it up a notch for this game's soundtrack. I mean, Wii U was already pretty good, but this game is looking like it might even top Brawl's OST.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I dunno if it's been posted here already, but someone on Reddit created a mockup of what a City Trial stage could possibly look like.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually I rather liked Pac-Land. Ideally, I'd want it with Pac-Maze but it has unique style and it was fun meeting with Fairy Queen.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually I rather liked Pac-Land. Ideally, I'd want it with Pac-Maze but it has unique style and it was fun meeting with Fairy Queen.
As the Smash low-tiers have shown,
Just because you're unique, doesn't mean you're wanted.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You are a rare breed I see.
Because Pac-Land is just a mess. Pac-Maze is by far the superior one.
I agree, but this is not a competition. I enjoy both stages for different reasons. They don't even originate from same kind of games.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
On the contrary, people seem to really desire uniqueness in Smash characters most of all.

And even then, it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

I agree, but this is not a competition. I enjoy both stages for different reasons. They don't even originate from same kind of games.
Same here. I enjoy both of the PAC-Stages. They both adhere to different tastes of mine.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm confidant that Pac-Maze will be back, the stage is way too iconic to be pass out, and the fact that it's a 3DS stage with a retro design will make it easy for the team to port it without too much effort

The only problem, as others mentionned, is the gimmick of the stage doesn't exactly work out outside of the 3DS, so the Smash team are probably working on a way to make it work on the Switch.

As for Pac-Land.

Heh? I find a bit strange that some peoples are offended with it, don't get me wrong, it's not pretty and it can be quit janky to play on it, but since so many stages are coming back, I find it easy to just ignore it and play whatever stage you love.

Plus, when mods will be around, that be a easy stage to replace, so, victory for mods?

blackghost

Smash Champion
keep pac land every stage doesnt need to be serious. pacland is so bad its funny its like the stage version of sharknado or the room.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
keep pac land every stage doesnt need to be serious. pacland is so bad its funny its like the stage version of sharknado or the room.
I wouldn't hate it if Pac-Land was a Pac-Man stage. I'd hate it if it were the only Pac-Man stage.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't hate it if Pac-Land was a Pac-Man stage. I'd hate it if it were the only Pac-Man stage.
This is exactly what I think.
I am not saying Pac-Land should be removed, but give us Pac-Maze so we can have a good Pac-Man stage.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tomorrow's preview:

Snake: I think I've heard about this guy before, wasn't he that underdog who won the WVBA championship years ago?

Next up: :ultlittlemac:
Why do I have the feeling that Solid Snake will be contacting the Colonel. I easily see the Colonel warning Snake about Little Mac's KO Uppercut.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let me preface this by saying all my favourite stages have already been confirmed to be in the game, so this is more like... what would I like for dessert... but I guess...

5. Congo Jungle - classic, simple stage. Have had a lot of fun on it
4. Rainbow Road - not a stage I'm super drawn to, but god would it look gorgeous remade
3. Pac-Maze - one of the most iconic "locations" in gaming and right now we only have that MS Paint looking monster
2. Delfino Plaza - people don't seem too big on this stage, but I like it. Also you can't just omit Super Mario Sunshine
1. Fountain of Dreams - look at reasons 4 & 5. This stage is overdue for a return.

HMs to Pirate Ship, 3ds Mute City, Jungle Hijinxs, and Brinstar Depths.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
One of the few stage I really hope come back is Mushroom Kingdom from N64.

Good lord, you don't know the fun time I had on this stage alone when I played 64, 64 was surprisly a blast to play in general, but having 3-computers, 4 lifes, items on and this stage, man, best memories Smash 64 I had ever.

StormC

Smash Hero
I thought of a fun game!
View attachment 151470

1. Isle Delfino - best Brawl stage.
2. Pirate Ship - second best Brawl stage.
3. Fountain Of Dreams - most beautiful Melee stage.
4. Brinstar Depths - Kraid needs to be reunited with the rest of the Space Pirate crew.
5. Kongo Jungle (64) - still the best DK stage after all these years.

Shout out to Melee Mute City and Dream Land 3DS. Meta Crystal would also be awesome to finally have it in multiplayer.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I dunno if it's been posted here already, but someone on Reddit created a mockup of what a City Trial stage could possibly look like.

I think this was a unused part of that old Decidueye leak but yeah, it looks great, although, I won't lie, I LOVE Kirby Air Ride but the amount of Sakurai Kirby stuff in game as opposed to everything else makes me a little sour to the concept, if we got this and no other new Kirby stage or character I'd actually be livid haha.
Jiggly nerfs.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Pirate Ship was a favourite of our irl friend group who play Smash so I want that. Brinstar Depths should come back so we can finally get Kraid out of retirement, Pac Maze is pretty much MANDATORY imo. That's about it. Also, do we know if Big Blue had 8 player? I'll be very bummed out should it not be able to handle 8 player personally

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Earthbound enemies are the best, you have things like Territorial Oak, Annoying Old Party Guy, Boogey Tent and Tangoo.

Like, seriously, what even is this?:

It's such a gem of a game.
My favorite type of enemies in the series are the cars, so it was nice to see one in Smash Run.

Today's Stage
Kongo Falls
Face off against your foes atop a raft stuck at the edge of a waterfall. How well you utilize the rock jutting out at the bottom right can be the difference between victory or defeat!
The DK Rap, but Tiny, Lanky and Chunky are dead.

This would be funny if it wasn't true…But at least Dixie can potentially get to hang out on here.

I always liked Peach's Castle, inaccurate as it may be. A nice fight in the clouds.

"You're tearing me apart Ms. Pac-Man!!! Oh, hai Mario."

All jokes aside, maybe this stage would have blown over a little better if they used the famicom version instead.

StormC

Smash Hero
Oh **** I forgot about Brinstar Depths. Definitely adding that to my list. Big boy Kraid needs to come home with Ridley and Mother Brain.

I'm pretty confident it's coming back though thanks to the song posting. And hopefully some of these stages are DLC if not in the base game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom