• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This is where I see the “Rex and Pyra would never be a Greninja situation because it’s not the same thing”, or “Ashley is more likely because she hasn’t been seen just yet and had a Mii Costume”. It seems to me that the only reason Rex and Pyra can’t be a Greninja situation is because particular people don’t like Rex and Pyra because “muh sexualization”, and people are just ignoring the fact that there are still 20 something remaining Assist Trophies we haven’t seen and assuming it “increases a characters chances” when that’s not necessarily the case.
I really question you here.

I do agree we can't say a Greninja situation is an impossibility, but saying the only reason it can't happen is because of personal bias I feel is being completely disengenious to the argument and dismissive of the people arguing about it. Many people would like to see (or are ambivalent to) Rex/Pyra, but feel timing may be an issue and a Greninja situation isn't feasible for multiple reasons, the two aren't mutually exclusive and pretending they are is being quite frankly rude to the other side of the argument.

Even ignoring that, there are differences that may cause the situation to not happen for one when it did the other. Greninja is currently a one time thing, and that makes his situation unique among the many newcomers that have come in, and that means it could very well be exclusive to him rather then a plausible thing for other franchises. Similarly, we also know Pokémon/TCPi do have a few differences in their character selection process such as TCPi being more involved in the process and Sakurai looking more to advertising and what's 'hot' to figure out what to go with. That may make the situation happening for other franchises not as possible since Sakurai and those developers are approaching the process differently, we already know Takahashi said Sakurai picked and designed Shulk with pretty much free reign, so it's completely fair to think that it's possible that Sakurai doesn't go to Xenoblade for 'insert new character here', he could go for Elma/Cross, or no new character at all. Speculation is all about analysis, and you can't look at one situation exclusively without going over what happened with it and what could prevent it from happening again.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Cream is kind of another puppeteer fighter that'd be cool.

Silver could be pretty cool too, even if we already have a psychic character on the roster already.

Big, admittedly, would be unique...

Omega would be our first robot.

Metal is a legit echo that could also happen besides Shadow.

Tails is unique too.

Rouge could also be cool.

Any Sonic character would be cool.
Eggman would be an interesting one to build a moveset for too, depending on how they built it.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I find it a bit Strange that whenever we talk about characters, it's almost always who we predict, but when we talk about stages and music it's typically what we want to see.
I think there are tons of reasons why. On the more cynical side it's because characters are what excite people the most and rooting for a character is like rooting for your favorite team and so you have to provide evidence in why your character should get in over others and your constantly having to defend yourself, which personally is my least favorite part. I have to reword anytime I ask about a peculiar or unlikely character out of curiosity because I don't want someone to think I'm attacking them because that's how they've been conditioned to defend.

Or it could just be we have had success is the past predicting newcomers as there is a smaller more likely pool than the infinite possibility of stages (like Splatoon could have literally picked any stage, and similarly with Breath of the Wild). Because it's harder to predict it's just more fun to discuss. Although I think everyone here would have bet on a New Donk City stage pre-announcement lol.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
He can definitely work very similar to Bowser Jr., using his Eggmobile and weapons including drills, wrecking balls, spike balls, bombs, etc.
Yeah that's always the thought i've had since I saw Bowser Jr's playstyle.

His side B could be that silly drill car from Sonic 2.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr. is more of the Eggman of the Marioverse than Bowser.

That's such an odd thought. I wonder how smart that boy is.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
Hey, it's ya boy Dyed over here, back again after 30 pages of not reading.

What did I miss? Is Porky in yet?
What are the hot topics right now?

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Lets see...

K.Rool Discussion
Stages we'd like
Echo Stuff
Talking about how to deal with no news
meming around.

(from what I recall of the past 2 days).

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace

A bunch of arguments about King K. Rool were common, I also did a codec or two within those pages (along with making a masterpost of every one I've written, links in my signature), we're now discussing some Sonic stuff, stages, what moveset potential every character has, etc.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Anime fans here are trying to sacrifice users to get Goku in Smash. They're currently looking for users with 4 letters in their username and Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf as their avi. Know anyone like that?

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
Man, this thread moves fast!

I will always be Team Urbosa:
Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!

The part of me that wants more villains still wants Skull Kid but there's a large part of me that wants Urbosa too... she was so cool... I wish I had her abs o_o

Here's another Sonic related question: Aside from Green Hill Zone, what other level would best represent the Sonic franchise as a stage? I'd love to see a Stardust Speedway stage that every so often changes from Present to Future and vice versa, with Metal Sonic causing the switch in the background.
Sadly, I don't think we're gonna get any new Sonic Stages... I think Green Hill and maybe Windy Hill are it. If anything, we might get a Sonic Forces stage at request of Sega?

If I got to wish for a stage? Stardust Speedway is good, but I'd have a soft spot for either Sky Sanctuary, Chemical Plant, or Flying Battery.

I mean.... is it too much to hope for their songs in Green Hill and Windy Hill?

An awesome new arrangement of Flying Battery with a guitar would be so cool.

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Source? And no, easily manipulated fanpolls in echo chambers don't count
He's also been MIA for a while and Donkey Kong is usually promoted as part of Mario. Kyrstal was a side character who's popularity made her part of the main crew, she got nothing but a reference in Zero as it's another 64 retelling
I'll give you that one as I do believe the K.Rool costume was a nod to his popularity
That doesn't really mean much, as anyone who was on the ballot can be argued "To have been on their minds". That's just not an argument in K.Rool's favour
Sakurai has not cared about "Muh reps". The only time we know for a fact he said anything about MUH REPS™ was being on edge about Corrin being another Fire Emblem character, but he decided to go with Corrin either way
I do think K Rool is likely, but I'm one of those people who's happy with any character except a few. My main reason for wanting him is that I usually like villains more than heroes

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, there are usually 40+ people in it at once.

The part of me that wants more villains still wants Skull Kid but there's a large part of me that wants Urbosa too... she was so cool... I wish I had her abs o_o
"100 Push Ups! 100 Sit Ups! 100 Squats! And a 10km run a day for three years!" should do it. (Half serious, half joking)
Sadly, I don't think we're gonna get any new Sonic Stages... I think Green Hill and maybe Windy Hill are it. If anything, we might get a Sonic Forces stage at request of Sega?

If I got to wish for a stage? Stardust Speedway is good, but I'd have a soft spot for either Sky Sanctuary, Chemical Plant, or Flying Battery.

Just bring in Tee Lopes' Flying Battery! Easy peasy!

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I sure do hope King K. Rool's design resembles the older games, since those are the ones he's known for and it demonstrates his creepy/goofy personality. His sharp teeth and pulsating eye aren't the same in his more recent appearances.

I think the Mii costume is a great peek at what King K. Rool should look like in Super Smash Bros. His golden belly cold serve the function of a Franklin Badge in certain circumstances.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

We could just go with the Mania version of flying battery too although my love of guitar makes me want that too

If Forces got a stage I think it'd be Sunset Heights. Plus it's a pretty good track to boot.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd edit an extra word in there, mods here are usually strict with that which personally, is ****ing dumb imo

Oh **** right Mania. ****ing uhhhhhhhhhhh Studiopolis please
LIGHTS CAMERA ACTION.

Honestly any of the Mania remixes/originals would be great.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wonder if Sakurai would be willing to include Tee Lopes in the fun of remixing songs...

...Actually, let's not, nobody would survive the awesomeness.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Sakurai doesn't really care about the amount of representatives a series has, he just picks and chooses what thinks will work well.
I see people like to say this a lot, but series representation is absolutely a factor to Sakurai's picks, and has resulted in the exclusion and inclusion of characters in the past. For the examples straight from Sakurai's mouth we know of:

*Wario was excluded from Melee despite being the third most requested character in the Smash 2 newcomer poll, solely because he was a Mario character and Sakurai didn't want too many of the new characters to be from the Mario series (as Bowser and Peach were already being added in).
*In Melee he didn't include Dedede nor Meta Knight despite their popularity (and the former's planned inclusion in 64), because he wanted to prioritize other series' representation over his own.
*Each game since Melee, Sakurai added a character specifically as a "retro rep" (ICs, ROB, and Duck Hunt). Sure their potential for a moveset was a big factor for being chosen in the end (it was the reason why ICs got chosen over other potential retro reps like Excitebike and Balloon Fighter), but the roster spot was made for them first and foremost because of their capacity to represent the retro era.
*In Brawl Sakurai specifically wanted a new FE character and pre-devised a moveset for them (a mighty glacier swordsman), and then went to Intelligent Systems to discuss who would be the new FE rep. IS suggested Ike, who Sakurai saw fit his moveset template, and that led to Ike's inclusion.
*In Brawl he added Zero Suit Samus because he wanted both another Metroid character (while he didn't see Ridley as Smash viable) and another female character.
*In Smash 4 Sakurai had a slot reserved for a gen 6 pokemon, and in this case, without any preconceived idea of what he wanted moveset wise. After talking to GameFreak about it he then decided Greninja.
*With Corrin, Corrin came into the picture in the first place because he and Nintendo wanted to use a DLC character to promote one of their upcoming games and Fire Emblem Fates happened to be the game at the right time for that, so Sakurai was pushed to add Corrin. Sakurai stated how he was aware of the large Fire Emblem representation already in Smash 4 and was hesitant about adding Corrin because of overrepresentation concerns, but decided to do so after his team assured him it was ok and because he found Corrin interesting enough.

Now representation is not a hard rule of course, but nonetheless remains a factor for deciding the roster and to claim it doesn't matter is just wrong.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Also I just realized

since Zelda and Sheik no longer use Light Arrow as their Final Smash...

...Dark Pit Staff is no longer a carbon-copy

hilarious how things like that turn out

RustyRemains

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1666-4551-3124
Also I just realized

Yeah, now Link is actually copying Dark Pit with his new final smash, the ancient arrow

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Also I just realized

Sakurai seems to be actively trying to do this with a lot of characters, it's probably why YL isn't considered an Echo in any way, because when Toon Link came in he had different aerials and stuff from Link, then Link himself started changing up a bit.

Now the old Melee stuff Link had is now mostly YL and YLs alone. Heck even Toon Link's fsmash has changed now

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yeah, now Link is actually copying Dark Pit with his new final smash, the ancient arrow
Nah Ancient Arrow doesn't look like it acts the same as Dark Pit Staff. Been awhile since I saw game footage but last I checked it kinda looked he slashed the Master Sword to get opponents in position, and then fired.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As much as I want to, I cannot see any interests in K Rool. I just want him in for the FANS.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also I just realized

So now, only Duck Hunt and Shulk's Final Smashes are carbon copies of Blue Falcon.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't think it's quite the same, Link's only hits one target and it's range seems more limited, I imagine it'll arc downwards and miss if you're too far unlike dark pit who fires in a straight line

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
So now, only Duck Hunt and Shulk's Final Smashes are carbon copies of Blue Falcon.
I 'unno, Fox and Falco's new final smashes are similar to Blue Falcon too.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I see people like to say this a lot, but series representation is absolutely a factor to Sakurai's picks, and has resulted in the exclusion and inclusion of characters in the past. For the examples straight from Sakurai's mouth we know of:

*Wario was excluded from Melee despite being the third most requested character in the Smash 2 newcomer poll, solely because he was a Mario character and Sakurai didn't want too many of the new characters to be from the Mario series (as Bowser and Peach were already being added in).
*In Melee he didn't include Dedede nor Meta Knight despite their popularity (and the former's planned inclusion in 64), because he wanted to prioritize other series' representation over his own.
*Each game since Melee, Sakurai added a character specifically as a "retro rep" (ICs, ROB, and Duck Hunt). Sure their potential for a moveset was a big factor for being chosen in the end (it was the reason why ICs got chosen over other potential retro reps like Excitebike and Balloon Fighter), but the roster spot was made for them first and foremost because of their capacity to represent the retro era.
*In Brawl Sakurai specifically wanted a new FE character and pre-devised a moveset for them (a mighty glacier swordsman), and then went to Intelligent Systems to discuss who would be the new FE rep. IS suggested Ike, who Sakurai saw fit his moveset template, and that led to Ike's inclusion.
*In Brawl he added Zero Suit Samus because he wanted both another Metroid character (while he didn't see Ridley as Smash viable) and another female character.
*In Smash 4 Sakurai had a slot reserved for a gen 6 pokemon, and in this case, without any preconceived idea of what he wanted moveset wise. After talking to GameFreak about it he then decided Greninja.
*With Corrin, Corrin came into the picture in the first place because he and Nintendo wanted to use a DLC character to promote one of their upcoming games and Fire Emblem Fates happened to be the game at the right time for that, so Sakurai was pushed to add Corrin. Sakurai stated how he was aware of the large Fire Emblem representation already in Smash 4 and was hesitant about adding Corrin because of overrepresentation concerns, but decided to do so after his team assured him it was ok and because he found Corrin interesting enough.

Now representation is not a hard rule of course, but nonetheless remains a factor for deciding the roster and to claim it doesn't matter is just wrong.
I think Sakurai has relevancy in consideration at least for the development of newcomers (Mario was getting 2 Newcomers and a Doctorate; so it makes sense they didn't wanted to do all-out)... Pokémon it's probably the exception to the rule so far.

For veterans they're probably already considered part of the Smash Family.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Speaking of new final smashes, I wonder what Peach's new one will be since with the way final smashes work now peach blossom probably isn't viable, and will daisy have the same one?

I honestly have no ideas of what she could do tbh

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Today is June 23rd. If you're a fanboy or fangirl of Sonic just like I am, you should know very well what today is. On that note, here's a question for a hypothetical situation: If Shadow were playable, what would be a better Final Smash for him: Super Shadow, or Chaos Blast? Chaos Control is out of the question since it seems like every Final Smash will be damaging, from what we've seen.
Personally, I think Chaos Blast would be better. If Shadow got anything from his own game, it should be that. (It's fun creating a massive shockwave that obliterates everything nearby.) ...But knowing Sakurai, Shadow's Final Smash will probably just copy Sonic's and end up being Super Shadow.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
????????????????
It's functionally identical to Light Arrow/Dark Pit's FS
Well now that I've seen it, I still think it's a bit different from Dark Pit Staff.

Notice how the we don't see the Ancient Arrow after it hits the opponent, implying that it only hits a single target.

That said, I realize that's kinda like comparing Quick Attack and Agility...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom