• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I understand that's what they were going with, but it was executed horribly. Now these two got a disproportionate low amount of excitement due to it.

Also, sure you could explain that about Luigi, but why drag Yoshi into it. He's not a clumsy goof
I'm sure I don't need to tell you that, like Luigi, one of the things that Yoshi is most famous for is being treated poorly.
maxresdefault.jpg

Roberk

Smash Champion
I understand that's what they were going with, but it was executed horribly. Now these two got a disproportionate low amount of excitement due to it.

Also, sure you could explain that about Luigi, but why drag Yoshi into it. He's not a clumsy goof
It seems like the trailer was made to be the full length of the SSBU Main Theme. Maybe some couldn't fit, so Luigi and Yoshi got their own segment last for their more carefree natures.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It seems like the trailer was made to be the full length of the SSBU Main Theme. Maybe some couldn't fit, so Luigi and Yoshi got their own segment last for their more carefree natures.
It's still not fair to them. I perused the reaction videos and it's the same deal. hype Hype HYPE HHHYYYPPPEEE!!! TITLE REVEAL!!!! Oh hey, these two, whatever

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Luigi?

THAT'S MAMA LUIGI TO YOU Zinith.

Roberk

Smash Champion
It's still not fair to them. I perused the reaction videos and it's the same deal. hype Hype HYPE HHHYYYPPPEEE!!! TITLE REVEAL!!!! Oh hey, these two, whatever
Yeah, overall it sucks. Just trying to offer a bit more reasoning for the decision but they definitely did them dirty.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh, and by the way for context, if Yoshi wasn't created in some hellish parallel universe, Luigi would be my favorite character of all time. I'd be the infamous Luigi Sperg Zinith.

So that should give you an idea of why I wasn't happy with the decision

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Echo fighter ideas

Dark Samus = Samus
Mimikyu = Pikachu
Impa = Sheik
Dixie = Diddy
Ken = Ryu
Zoroark = Lucario
Krystal = Zero Suit Samus

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yeah, overall it sucks. Just trying to offer a bit more reasoning for the decision but they definitely did them dirty.
I personally would have got a good kick out of it had Yoshi not been there (cause again, makes no sense but it does for Luigi's character) and I say this as a 4 game Luigi main and him being my favorite Nintendo character. He's supposed to be the odd ball stranger of the series (remember Melee art where everyone is in the middle in a group...then there's Luigi blasting off in the background)

So yeah. I chucked when I saw Luigi after the screen at first then Yoshi killed the joke.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Didn't Yoshi get randomly revealed really late into Smash 4 as well? Is there some weird tradition of giving Yoshi the short stick in reveals?

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Didn't Yoshi get randomly revealed really late into Smash 4 as well? Is there some weird tradition of giving Yoshi the short stick in reveals?
THAT I at least understood. He was basically........ *grumble grumble* Bowserfied so he would be more fun to play as.

THIS however boggles the mind

Minordeth

Smash Ace
After watching the invitational and going through a ton of top player feedback, I've basically split it all up into the Good, the Bad, and the Neutral.

The Good:
- Universally faster jumpsquats

- Fast FH acceleration
- Short hop on command
- Being able to do anything out of dash
- Dashing being better in general
- Greatly reduced landing lag
- Air dodge limit
- Directional Air dodging
- Perfect shield parrying
- Wavelanding
- Rolls being nerfed hard
- Seemingly increased air mobility across the board
- Far lower landing lag on aerials
- Side-B's no longer sending various characters into freefall

The Bad:
- Hitstun seems a little low, so combos seem more limited
- Critical hits may give enough time to change DI

The Neutral
- Airdodge nerf seems to affect how useful wavelanding is, so we can't waveland off a platform, for instance
- Rage is still in the game, but how much remains to be seen

Beyond that, some character thoughts:

Bayo
- Hit harder with the nerf bat than I initially thought.
- Witch twist at low percents can be airdodge out of
- directional airdodge and lower hitstun makes her ladder actually much harder
- follow ups harder to predict
- start up on moves longer
- Heelslide on block is even more punishable
- Witch Time nerfed hard, Bayo has basically enough time to maybe do a tilt and uncharged smash - per Mr. R
- Seems slower - per Tweek, Lima
- Still really good

Fox
- Probably the worst character in the demo
- Fox illusion doesn't travel through characters
- Fair Footstool still in
- Seems like dtilt is a launcher now

Ridley
- Air attacks are fantastic
- Ridiculous damage on hit
- Huge hitbox tho

Ike
- Strangely, reportedly one of the best characters
- Uair change is massive
- Benefits hard from different engine/mechanics

Marth
- DB slower start up, but more like Melee, can't be delayed
- Aerials still dope

Game looks dope, tho. Obviously Nintendo's version of a beta, and the company is actively getting feedback from the players.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
*Clears throat* Ahem

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SWEET BABY JESUS DECEMBER CANT COME SOON ENOUGH
My most wanted Newcomer is in!!! I COULDNT BELIEVE IT. I was the only one who was super hyped in line when Daisy was shown though :p

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
That's great news!
Mr. Kirby, Mr. Metanite and Daedede Great join the Nintendo Switch "Super Smash Bros. Smash Bros. SPECIAL" released on December 7!
Tsumono Although it is a tough battlefield of all but ... surely okay! Please do your best as a representative of Pupupland! !

I wonder if this means anything about Bandana Dee's chances...

*sweats uncontrollably*

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
She does seem to have swords as a secondary weapon but let's not focus on that.
Maybe she could duel wield a sword and axe.
That's great news!
Mr. Kirby, Mr. Metanite and Daedede Great join the Nintendo Switch "Super Smash Bros. Smash Bros. SPECIAL" released on December 7!
Tsumono Although it is a tough battlefield of all but ... surely okay! Please do your best as a representative of Pupupland! !

*sweats uncontrollably*
The Animal Crossing Twitter made a similar tweet.

Edit: Oh, the Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Twitters also made similar tweets.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
That's great news!

*sweats uncontrollably*
It means absolutely nothing to Bandana dee's chances.

(I am now supporting King K Rool now since Ridley is playable)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Pfffft, you think THAT's cute?
Ridley.jpg
How can Zelda even hope to compare?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I stated that in my post.
And that’s the only reason you need. Nintendo characters being on the box art of the biggest Nintendo game is more reasonable than the guest fighters being placed on it.
I've been wearing one all day and they are goooooooood
Ridley pimping out now that he’s in Smash
Alright boys, it's time to take a break and talk about what is really important.
View attachment 148047
The new Zelda design is cute as hell.
I thought I wanted BOTW Zelda only...until I saw this beautiful design of her (matter of fact, every Zelda character looks great in this game so far)
Pfffft, you think THAT's cute?
How can Zelda even hope to compare?
Zelda is cute...Ridley is down right sexy

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think I found something new.

Dfh4LVXX4AAgwtc.jpg

That mushroom enemy is from Earthbound and from the look of the background, either Smash Run is confirmed or Saturn Valley is a new stage.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I was freaking out the whole trailer... Daisy finally playable and Zelda is adorable! Now if they would bring back individual Break the Targets and Board the Platforms, but especially the funny end-of-round bonuses.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Alright boys, it's time to take a break and talk about what is really important.

View attachment 148047
The new Zelda design is cute as hell.
Brawl/WiiU Zelda was always expressionless, cold, and kinda boring. She has so much personality now! Lots of facial expressions, and new hand animations (her hand movements really remind me of Scarlet Witch). Sakurai said that she's more "energetic" now and they really did nail that feel. On top of that, it's great that they're representing one of the 2D Zelda games (which also happens to be my personal favorite). I absolutely adore the new Zelda!!!

Minch

Smash Rookie
Seems like people have a real issue telling the difference between Echo Fighters and clones.

No Mimikyu cannot be an Echo Fighter of Pikachu. Pichu isn't even an Echo...

Funky Kong as an Echo of DK is just a waste of a character. The whole appeal of him is his surfboard. Might as well make him a brand new character or semi-clone instead of demoting the board to his entrance, taunts and final smash. Because if he uses it even once as an attack move he is no longer an Echo. This will be the outcry to get Ganondorf to finally use his a sword all over again

Dixie Kong as well. You really want a Dixie character that doesn't use her ponytail? Cause if she's an Echo of Diddy she can't use it. Once again make her a semi-clone.

Someone really suggested Waluigi to be an Echo of Luigi...

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Zack Fair is probably one of most obvious Echo characters.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Guys, anyone has a link to all the official character pics? I saw there on the thread a while back but I couldn't find it.

I wonder, can Zero work as a MegaMan clone?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I wonder, can Zero work as a MegaMan clone?
Eh not really. Their skillsets and builds are too different for it to work.

The only real choices for a Mega Man clone were Proto Man and Bass, and they're busy helping him with his Final Smash.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
OK can we just take the time to appreciate that Wario now has his shoulder dash from Wario Land as his dash attack?

Best execution possible imo, now I don't have to sacrifice Wario Bike or Wario Waft!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom