• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
The thing what would get me most hyped for this game would be a real training mode, but I know it's not going to happen.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I tend to agree that Goku is the most likely choice for the first character to make it to Smash Bros. that did not originate from a video game.

However, if it were up to me...I would want Smash Bros. to stay as a series for characters originating for video games. At least, that's how I feel right now.
I completely agree. I like Goku (the dubbed version) and I love Smash but the two together sounds like mixing mashed potatos with chocolate.

Just please, no. :urg:

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
So anyways, who has been playing nintendo franchises that never played just because of smash?
I beat earthbound and mother 3 recently, and 4 metroid games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Imagine if that "Ultimate Smash Bros roster ever" thing from Emily Roger is true.

Imagine at E3 Nintendo announce Ridley, Simon, Snake, Sora, K.rool, Bandana Dee, All FireEmblem Lord's and the 823 Pokemon and the E3 invitational Is an Iron Man Match with all characters ever.

I truly need E3. I think I'm becoming crazy.
I think the most impressive thing would be that Smash somehow created sixteen new Pokémon. :p

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I like Dragon Ball but do not want Goku in - mostly because I dislike him as an adult and Vegeta (Cell saga and beyond)

Team Piccolo and Team Tien baby

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So anyways, who has been playing nintendo franchises that never played just because of smash?
Aside from Kirby and Pokemon, which I know from their animes, Smash pretty much introduced me to Nintendo, which I'm thankful for. Only Smash character I finished his game is, weirdly enough, Sonic.

It also introduced me to Bayonetta, which is also really cool.

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
I had a crazy dream tonight

We were at the e3 direct and the first newcomer was Ridley, from other M, but I was still happy, it felt so real, in gameplay, in the CSS, everything were real I cried of excitement !

The second newcomer were Simon (leak confirmed in my dream) and the third were a random FE character that I'm sure doesn't really exists.
Literally had the EXACT same dream and thought it was real until I got on. I honestly don't think this is a coincidence.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly, if I was Sakurai and I'd have to choose one exception to the "no non-video game characters" rule, it'd definitely be Goku.

Dragon Ball, whether you like the franchise or not, is just stupidly iconic. Many people grew up watching it, were introduced to anime thank to it and other things like that. It's also managed to pass the test of time really well, being around 30 years old and still remaining both beloved and relevant to this day. Not to mention the buttload of video games it's been getting over the years, so he can also appeal to gamers.

He's definitely earned the right to be the exception. The question is whether or not Sakurai will actually do it.

But the reaction? I'd say a mix of overwhelming hype (think Snake or Cloud, but even more than those) and some high amount of sodium from fans of other well-known anime like Naruto.
Just because it's iconic, doesn't mean it has to be in Smash. It hasn't earned any "right" to be in the game other than being very popular in pop culture. If we're going by that metric then Micky Mouse also "earned" his right to be in Smash Bros.

And there is no "exception". If Goku were to get in, nothing's stopping Sakurai from adding more non-video game characters. Hence why it's the "nightmare scenario" as I like to call it.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
so, in order to change the topic (because the idea of goku in smash is physically painful) if smash 5 was as fast paced as melee, how well do you think melee players would transition? would people stick with melee or all swap to 5?

Quick amendment, Goku in smash just feels wrong, I don't have a terribly good reason that i don't want Goku otherwise
Short answer: They won't

Long answer: Why would they after playing their game for 17 years? There is a lot of nuance that is involved in Melee as a competitive experience that would be incredibly hard to replicate. Not to mention Nintendo would have no incentive to do it. If it was as "fast paced" (which is once again hard to replicate) you might see some Melee players entering tournaments on the side, but as their main game? No.

I don't want to belabor this further because it's going to devolve into this community calling Melee players Genwunners or something. People within this part of the Smash community really don't like nostalgic fans these days for a variety of reasons. You can see this with the vitriolic reaction to the new Pomemon Gen 8 rumor with 151 original Pokemon. (This doesn't mean that rumor is a good choice FYI)

:kirby:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is something that was being discussed in the Ridley thread. Thought it might go along with the Simon and ICs rumor. Apparently, Vergeben recently made this statement.

"My sources are different. I can't really get into the other thing I want to say, because it could implicate people, but I even had a third source come to me and tell me about Ridley recently that also pertains to E3. But if I can try to be subtle.... they say he'll have a presence there outside of just being revealed for the game."
I know this is probably just about Metroid Prime 4 but the wording kind of makes me hope this is related to a prop. Like imagine if all of the invited players ran out of Ridley's mouth to get onto the stage for the invitational like it was a football game or something.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I remember making a hypothetical Smash Flash Roster with a mix of what would make sense and what really wouldn't just for fun. This is how it went roughly.

Regular Characters
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Luigi
  • Falcon
  • Ness
  • Jigglypuff
  • Bowser
  • Peach
  • Zelda/Sheik
  • Ganondorf (unlockable)
  • Mewtwo (unlockable)
  • Wario
  • meta Knight
  • Dedede
  • Diddy Kong
  • Sonic
  • Tails
  • Mega Man
  • Bomberman
  • Black Mage
  • Sora
  • Simon Belmont (unlockable)
  • Geno (unlockable)
And all these weird characters
  • Goku
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo
  • Luffy
  • Sailor Moon (unlockable)
  • Mr. Incredibles (unlockable)
  • Shrek (unlockable)
  • Gaston (unlockable)
  • Elsa (unlockable)
  • Coldsteel the Hedgehog (unlockable)
  • Shaquille O' Neal (unlockable)
  • Mr. Freeze (unlockable)
  • Ewok (unlockable)
  • Cory Baxter (unlockable)
  • The Eiffel Tower (unlockable)
  • Navy Blue Jukebox (unlockable)
  • Star Wars Boxset (unlockable)
  • Buzz Lightyear (unlockable)
  • Carpenter Mario (unlockable)
  • Red Mega Man (unlockable)
  • Toon Ridley (unlockable)
Red Mega Man but no Blue Bowser? smh

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Just because it's iconic, doesn't mean it has to be in Smash. It hasn't earned any "right" to be in the game other than being very popular in pop culture. If we're going by that metric then Micky Mouse also "earned" his right to be in Smash Bros.

And there is no "exception". If Goku were to get in, nothing's stopping Sakurai from adding more non-video game characters. Hence why it's the "nightmare scenario" as I like to call it.
Guess that’s true, but he wouldn’t really bring anyone either. He’d probably be about as selective as other third parties, so memes like Shrek would still be unrealistic even in that “nightmare scenario”

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why having non-video game characters is such a bad thing in smash, when we literally have Mr.Game and watch (A electronic toy line) and R.O.B. (a literal personified console). We got a literal mannequin in smash and yet still, no one would want to see Goku. Hell, Goku has been on the Famicom since before more than 75% of characters in smash. If you honestly think Sakurai wouldn't put Goku in Smash JUST to spite and surprise everyone, then you're honestly a fool. When will people learn that the 'rules' of character inclusion in Smash was created by the fans due to trends, literally anything can go down if Sakurai wants it so. That being said, it does NOT excuse characters like Shrek and other non-videogame characters who have no history or contributions to videogames as a whole.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The nightmare scenario would only open up the door for anime characters. No chance western movie characters make it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think people are really over exaggerating the Isabelle thing :p

1) It’s a cartoon-y party fighter, not Mortal Kombat. It’s really not a particularly violent game.
2) We can already punch women, children, adorable little creatures and a dog. Isabelle isn’t a stretch at all.

You want something in Smash that makes you feel bad? Kill some of Olimar’s Pikmin. Now THAT’S a heartbreaking experience :laugh:
But Isabelle is a women, adorable little creature AND a dog (and have childish proportions) if you hit her you are like, triple cursed!

Regarding goku in smash, the only way i would be okey with that is if geralt of rivia also joins >:c

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Get ready for this list
- Zelda
- Metroid
- Star Fox
- F Zero
- Mother
- Fire Emblem
- Xenoblade (although that didn't really stick...)

I got into Smash real young so I was only really familiar with Mario and it's spinoffs and Pokemon. I can't add Kirby, because I did play Kirby 64 first I think...and even then anytime I played a Kirby game it wasn't really due to smash.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I don't know why having non-video game characters is such a bad thing in smash, when we literally have Mr.Game and watch (A electronic toy line) and R.O.B. (a literal personified console). We got a literal mannequin in smash and yet still, no one would want to see Goku. Hell, Goku has been on the Famicom since before more than 75% of characters in smash. If you honestly think Sakurai wouldn't put Goku in Smash JUST to spite and surprise everyone, then you're honestly a fool. When will people learn that the 'rules' of character inclusion in Smash was created by the fans due to trends, literally anything can go down if Sakurai wants it so. That being said, it does NOT excuse characters like Shrek and other non-videogame characters who have no history or contributions to videogames as a whole.
Because Smash was supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo history in the videogame world, including third parties from games that have a conexion with nintendo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The nightmare scenario would only open up the door for anime characters. No chance western movie characters make it.
Ehhhhh.

Mickey Mouse.

James Bond.

Spider-Man.

Batman.

Iron Man.

There's a few western characters iconic enough they might get in. If flood gates were open.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I just have to appreciate how many characters Smashboards actually discusses. Despite our weird circlejerks, I feel this part of speculation has covered mostly every character that could be in the new Smash game, no matter how obscure. Sure, a lot of us dismiss characters because of somewhat arbitrary rules (relevancy, iconicness, uniqueness, popularity) but we at least talk about them. Dillon, Fossil Fighters, Balloon Fighter, Eldrick, Slime, Lip, Savvy Stylist, Hanafuda (ily @BluePikmin11), and even Mickey Mouse are at least talked about here or on support threads. It's pretty amazing.

That being said what characters do you think could get in that we never talk about? I was thinking about a Kid Icarus character, bevause I almost never see that talked about outside Dark Pit. I don't think it's super likely but I think it's worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Guess that’s true, but he wouldn’t really bring anyone either. He’d probably be about as selective as other third parties, so memes like Shrek would still be unrealistic even in that “nightmare scenario”
No that's not the implication.

If i'm a casual fan watching Goku's reveal trailer and i'm all ecstatic and **** seeing him get in the game, why is my opinion of wanting another non-video game character any less credible than the ones that wanted Goku in?

Like people are so happy for Goku's inclusion that suddenly they want all the massively iconic characters who don't originate from video games like Mickey Mouse and all those other characters?

It's a never ending spiral that will transform the series in to Super Pop Culture Bros. That's a world I want no part of.
Not really. I could see several fan movements to bring in other characters not originating from gaming. You probably underestimate the size of that base.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ehhhhh.

Mickey Mouse.

James Bond.

Spider-Man.

Batman.

Iron Man.

There's a few western characters iconic enough they might get in. If flood gates were open.
Yeah pretty much lol. The list never ends.

Although I gotta admit. James Bond in Smash would be really cool lol.
I just have to appreciate how many characters Smashboards actually discusses. Despite our weird circlejerks, I feel this part of speculation has covered mostly every character that could be in the new Smash game, no matter how obscure. Sure, a lot of us dismiss characters because of somewhatsarbitrary rules (relevancy, iconicness, uniqueness, popularity) but we at least talk about them. Dillon, Fossil Fighters, Balloon Fighter, Eldrick, Slime, Lip, Savvy Stylist, Hanafuda (ily @BluePikmin11), and even Mickey Mouse are at least talked about here or on support threads. It's pretty amazing.

That being said what characters do you think could get in that we never talk about? I was thinking about a Kid Icarus character, bevause I almost never see that talked about outside Dark Pit. I don't think it's super likely but I think it's worth mentioning.

Yeah, we've truly fallen from grace considering that Goku and other non-video game characters are the point of discussion now.

:4cloud:: I did say limits were meant to be broken but don't you guys think you're taking it too far?

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I just have to appreciate how many characters Smashboards actually discusses. Despite our weird circlejerks, I feel this part of speculation has covered mostly every character that could be in the new Smash game, no matter how obscure. Sure, a lot of us dismiss characters because of somewhat arbitrary rules (relevancy, iconicness, uniqueness, popularity) but we at least talk about them. Dillon, Fossil Fighters, Balloon Fighter, Eldrick, Slime, Lip, Savvy Stylist, Hanafuda (ily @BluePikmin11), and even Mickey Mouse are at least talked about here or on support threads. It's pretty amazing.

I think magnus is getting in, and I hope he gets announced and everyone says "well in hindsight it made a lot of sense and everyone predicted it", just like every other thing lol

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Other than Krystal (who if the Star Fox GP rumor is true, would have her chances skyrocket), there is another character, I really want to see in Smash Switch, Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil (Biohazzard in Japan)

Zeox

Smash Champion
Alright guys, time to a question of a character that you may not know, so get ready to use google.
How much of a chance Plok, an old SNES character, have to be an assist thropy?
Photo of the character in question (the red and yellow one):
Years ago I read in the twitter of the creators of this character that they got to the Nintendo headquarters to have a talk, but never saw results of that talk, neither the original game is in the e-shop or anything.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

idk, Petey Piranha?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Really??? I feel like I see tons of support for those characters, especially Virdi, Medusa and Hades.

Top of my head I'm reminded about how after Dream Friends dlc my boyfriend has been really wanting Gooey. He would be super fun but I hate breaking his heart when I tell him it's not very likely. Doesn't help that I never see him brought up when potential Kirby newcomers are mentioned, Bandana Dee kinda has that monoplolized if you will. Really Gooey just missed his chance, saw an old poll from before Melee that was Japanese only, and Gooey was in top 10.

idk, Petey Piranha?
I'm pretty sure this was 13 year old me's most wanted for Brawl lol. I remember being dissapointed in his deconfirmation as a boss, but in hindsight that's actually awesome he got that much attention.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd want Wonder Woman. Her Final Smash would be wrapping each person in her lasso and they K.O. themselves by revealing their darkest truth.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think magnus is getting in, and I hope he gets announced and everyone says "well in hindsight it made a lot of sense and everyone predicted it", just like every other thing lol
At this point I think I would be more excited for a new ogre battle on switch.... Or at least give us OB64 on the switch so I can play it on handheld!!!!!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Sakurai on Manga characters in Brawl.

“Manga characters will not join the battle (obviously).

1. While it’s true that we’ve added characters from other companies,
It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.

Smashis a game that’s made from everyone’s effort.

1. Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.
I need them to let me take charge of the character.

In order to fit the character into the world of Smash, I need them to allow me some artistic license.

1. The character must carry game history with them.
Besides that, it might be something like a courtesy to include a character who has the experience of being on a Nintendo platform.

At any rate, there will probably only be one or two more.” –Toukouken #3
Sakurai on Mii Fighters existing for characters like Goku and Spongebob in Smash 4

Sakurai: But, you know I get requests like, “Please put Goku in”
Sugita: GOKU!?
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!
Sakurai: That’s right
Sugita: The really energetic, yellow square right?
Sakurai: Yes.
Sugita: Even Spongebob…
Sakurai: Well, those kinds of requests are pretty common.
Sugita: What about Yukawasen*, or Segata Sanshiro?
Sakurai: (laughs)
Sugita: …well I’m glad Sonic’s in.
Sakurai: That’s the point of Mii Fighters
Sakurai once again dismissing Goku for Smash 4.

However the biggest reason for the inclusion of Miis was because “anyone can join.” I know that having even a single character be playable in Smash is very important to those fans. I get requests from fans all over the world. With no regard for things like production costs, copyright, and even requests for characters that aren’t in games. Even if it is impossible, that these fans want those characters to be playable in Smash is a real desire.

aren’t in games: Requests for characters from Attack on Titan or Dragonball, for example. The younger the fans are, the more unrealistic the requests get.

If so, then you should make them yourself! I’ve set the stage for you to do so, so please, do as you would like. The outfit isn’t as freely customizable, but you should try to make Miis that looks like your favorite characters. If you use them, you can’t complain.
Even the Smash Ballot itself rejected the idea of Goku.

But you know, keep invalidating those "dumb fan rules" by comparing a meme manga character to actual Nintendo characters in a Nintendo-oriented crossover brawler. That strawman sure will eventually be defeated when we can all then finally rejoice at Goku being in Smash Switch. You know, when we also get Coldsteel the Hedgehog, Elsa, Gaston, Shaquille O' Neal, Cory Baxter, the Eiffel Tower, a Star Wars Boxset, a navy blue jukebox and Toon Ridley as playable characters.

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Legit talk but the aforementioned "silent majority" talk is exactly why I cannot take any of this Smash speculation seriously.

People think they know what everyone wants just because of a small faction of fanboys posting on an English speaking board about Super Smash Bros. This is all while ignoring pretty much everything else, because their closed off mentality prevents them from taking into consideration that there are people outside of that extremely specific demographic. Which is a major contribution to why Smash fans have a habit of being wrong about a lot of stuff.

Super Smash Bros. is a game meant to cater to everyone. If it only focused on catering to the Smash fans that only play 1 vs. 1 with no items on Battlefield using the space furries, obviously the overall quality would suffer.
This, in my opinion, is why some of the most commonly voted for characters in the ballot by this "small faction" and others like it are extremely unlikely to get into Smash with that support alone because it is hardly substantial compared to the votes that Bayonetta likely got. Just because we didn't vote for her much doesn't mean she lacked popularity with the silent majority. We should definitely keep this "silent majority" in mind when speculating because then we will see who will actually make it into Smash for Switch based on the ballot. (that is, if we have any ballot picks)

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255

Sakurai on Manga characters in Brawl.

Sakurai on Mii Fighters existing for characters like Goku and Spongebob in Smash 4

Sakurai once again dismissing Goku for Smash 4.

Even the Smash Ballot itself rejected the idea of Goku.

But you know, keep invalidating those dumb "fan rules" by comparing a meme manga character to actual Nintendo characters in a Nintendo-oriented crossover brawler. That strawman sure will eventually be defeated when we can all then finally rejoice at Goku being in Smash Switch. You know, when we also get Coldsteel the Hedgehog, Elsa, Gaston, Shaquille O' Neal , Cory Baxter , the Eiffel Tower, Red Mega Man, a Star Wars Boxset, a navy blue jukebox and Toon Ridley as playable characters.
This is how meltdowns happen. What would you do if he actually got in? You just spent all that time trying to prove the notion of goku being impossible to people that are just saying the possibility exists. This is the kind of post I'd hang on a wall.

Or you could be completely correct, who knows. But to call the character a meme and to compare him to those joke characters is doing this discussion a disservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom