• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Seen some Pokemon talk, thought I'd bring one up;

Has Poipole ever been considered? It's an Ultra Beast, notably the only one that evolves and part of Ash's team in the anime(which makes it his first one of a kind Pokemon?).

Seems like it should be a prime candidate for consideration but I've not seen any talk about it before?
I wouldn't mind Poipole.

Captain James Turner is one of my favourite designers.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Here's my admittedly boring prediction roster based on the idea that the Ridley, Simon, icies leak is true.
The only characters I’d add in would be Lyn (replacing Lucina as a full character, or atleast have Lyn be a Lucina alt...or vice versa with Lucina being an alt for Marth), Captain Toad, and Viridi...then it would be glorious enough for me

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hey, can we actually get Genesect as a playable character?

It's a travesty it wasn't in Pokken.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Has Poipole ever been considered? It's an Ultra Beast, notably the only one that evolves and part of Ash's team in the anime(which makes it his first one of a kind Pokemon?).

Seems like it should be a prime candidate for consideration but I've not seen any talk about it before?
I think people sleep on it because it's not Buzzwole nor Nihilego.

But I would say it would make for a good DLC character.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

Here's my admittedly boring prediction roster based on the idea that the Ridley, Simon, icies leak is true.
This is pretty much my roster, give or take a few toss ups (Toad instead of Paper, Mipha instead of Impa, Mimikyu instead of Decideueye). And also our differences on Xenoblade/Arms.

But this is a super good roster that I am hoping for. It's also way prettier than mine so I'm self conscious to post mine :x

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Hey, can we actually get Genesect as a playable character?

It's a travesty it wasn't in Pokken.
I genuinely wish they would just make a Smash spinoff that's all Pokemon. It would be so easy to make characters for it and then Game Freak can do all the promotion it wants.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Honestly damn near perfect. I'd be sad about the lack of Captain Toad, but that's about the only thing I'd be sad about and I think I'd be more than okay with two new Mario series characters so I'd happily keep Paper Mario too. Maybe Chibi-Robo if I was feeling greedy as another omission just because he also had a notable outing between Smashes...even if not a successful one.

Good stuff though; we have new series representative with Chorus Men, solid third parties in Simon and Rayman, series inclusions from all the major series(bar Fire Emblem but it's had enough) with Wolf returning to Starfox. Xenoblade gets it's Wii U character of choice(I'm really not sold on Switch cast members on the base roster) and whilst I'm not entirely sold on Decidueye, I can't really decide(ueye) who I think would be a better choice for a new generation Pokemon so he does the trick.

As much as I want Impa part of me thinks Tingle may actually be the more likely of the two since he tends to be the one Nintendo throw love to. Not that I'd be sad either way as I throughly enjoyed both in Hyrule Warriors.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
BOTW will probably be the biggest influence for new Zelda content, but I do not see a new character coming unless such a character becomes an important, notable, and popular staple for the franchise. I do not see Impa as a significant enough Zelda character for me to see her as a playable character. I can see BOTW Champions being very briefly considered for playable characters, but that is as far as I feel Sakurai will touch with the Zelda newcomer pool.
That's a valid perspective, I just happen to disagree regarding the importance of Impa. That said, I appreciate the critiques.

Your roster is literally identical to mine barring Chorus Kids and a historical character. I'm undecided on Decidueye.
That's something I'll have to disagree with. Impa's best shot was back in Smash 4 after the 2011 release of both OoT3D and SS. Hyrule Warriors was a big game, no questions there. However, it's no contest when you compare it to what BotW was back then. If Sakurai is going with a BotW theme this time around, then I honestly can't imagine why he'd randomly shoot for Impa when the version of her we want in Smash wasn't present in BotW.

Just for the sake of sticking with the theme and adding a character from something as massive as BotW, I'm gonna have to say the Champions are more likely (Sorry if I came across as matter-of-factly. I just can't wait for Mipha's day in the RTC thread. I've been dying to make my argument).
I understand your perspective, certainly, but I have some counterpoints.

During Smash 4, there were characters that were simply higher priority than a Legend of Zelda newcomer (Skyward Sword was received poorly, remember.) Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Palutena, Robin, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Miis were all prioritized above the likes of Impa.

This time around, there aren't as many characters competing for inclusion in Smash Bros., and Impa is one of the most well-known characters Nintendo has left. The only feasible characters that really have the same star power are Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, Ridley, and some third parties.

A Zelda newcomer hasn't happened since Melee if we consider Toon Link an updated Young Link. The reason we didn't get a Zelda character in Smash 4 was because there were other characters that were more important.

Now, though, the Legend of Zelda series is going strong. At the time of roster selection, BotW hype was at a high, and Sakurai would have known that the game was going to be a launch title for the new system, putting the franchise in the limelight.

However, BotW suffers from having no notable characters to include. The champions are overall about as important as a one-off character like Ghirahim, Skull Kid, and Vaati, but are individually not significant characters.

There's no reason to add a character to Smash Bros. that hasn't made their mark on gaming, and the champions frankly don't meet that criterion. Even Sheik, the only one-off Zelda character in Smash, only got in because of a gimmick with Zelda, who she shares her legacy with by virtue of being the same person.

Sorry, but I dont see any reason to see any champion as more likely than any other, let alone as more important than a character who has consistently appeared in the Zelda franchise during its long-running history.

It makes more sense to suppose that Sakurai took inspiration from games that had already been released, knowing that the Zelda series was due for a newcomer. Impa is the one character who makes sense given that scenario.

(I apologize if that came across as blunt. I genuinely just don't see anything notable about the champions as newcomers. I also need to eat, so I'm probably a bit shorter than I'm intending to be.)

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Not that I'm a big Pauline supporter or anything myself (Though I wouldn't mind her per se. A moveset that combines the original Arcade game, Mario Vs. Donkey kong (With attacking mini-marios most likely), and Odyssey all-in-one has some intriguing possibilities.)

She did appear in something that kinda makes it seem Nintendo really does see her as a starring female character

You have 3 of the 5 that are already in Smash (Peach, Rosalina, and Zelda). 1 That was considered for Brawl but ultimately dropped (Toon Zelda). And then for some reason Pauline is there.

Not something I personally put alot of bank on myself. But I'm pretty sure it at least made Daisy fans seethe with anger/jealousy :V
This has two different Zeldas.
Not really holding this accountable for Smash.

EDIT: oh and no Samus either.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
This has two different Zeldas.
Not really holding this accountable for Smash.
I wasn't either (I kinda put that disclaimer in myself in the post)

But others might see it that way and at least gave any Pauline for Smash supporters some sort of thing to point to. I agree it doesn't actually mean much for Smash. It's just interesting Pauline was promoted in this way (Especially since I think this was years before Odyssey. And Skyward Sword seemed to have been the newest 3D Zelda at the time since that's where Zelda's design comes from in this)

Last edited:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman

I love your roster but no King K Rool Rex Spring Man and Geno is underwhelming. I give your roster a 9/10 because you add Paper Mario Chorus Kids Takamaru Elma Simon and Rayman of course Dixie Kong too those are my Top Characters I want for smash 5.
I want so want that Ridley and Simon leak to be real but I hope Dr.Mario Palutena Olimar and Meg Man get reworked they weren't not fun to play in smash. But man I love your roster.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's a valid perspective, I just happen to disagree regarding the importance of Impa. That said, I appreciate the critiques.

Your roster is literally identical to mine barring Chorus Kids. I'm undecided on Decidueye.

I understand your perspective, certainly, but I have some counterpoints.

During Smash 4, there were characters that were simply higher priority than a Legend of Zelda newcomer (Skyward Sword was received poorly, remember.) Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Palutena, Robin, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Miis were all prioritized above the likes of Impa.

This time around, there aren't as many characters competing for inclusion in Smash Bros., and Impa is one of the most well-known characters Nintendo has left. The only feasible characters that really have the same star power are Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, Ridley, and some third parties.

A Zelda newcomer hasn't happened since Melee if we consider Toon Link an updated Young Link. The reason we didn't get a Zelda character in Smash 4 was because there were other characters that were more important.

Now, though, the Legend of Zelda series is going strong. At the time of roster selection, BotW hype was at a high, and Sakurai would have known that the game was going to be a launch title for the new system, putting the franchise in the limelight.

However, BotW suffers from having no notable characters to include. The champions are overall about as important as a one-off character like Ghirahim, Skull Kid, and Vaati, but are individually not significant characters.

There's no reason to add a character to Smash Bros. that hasn't made their mark on gaming, and the champions frankly don't meet that criterion. Even Sheik, the only one-off Zelda character in Smash, only got in because of a gimmick with Zelda, who she shares her legacy with by virtue of being the same person.

Sorry, but I dont see any reason to see any champion as more likely than any other, let alone as more important than a character who has consistently appeared in the Zelda franchise during its long-running history.

It makes more sense to suppose that Sakurai took inspiration from games that had already been released, knowing that the Zelda series was due for a newcomer. Impa is the one character who makes sense given that scenario.

(I apologize if that came across as blunt. I genuinely just don't see anything notable about the champions as newcomers. I also need to eat, so I'm probably a bit shorter than I'm intending to be.)
Well, consider this.

Prior to Smash 4, Super Mario only had four characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. These guys had been there since the very first Super Mario Bros game, and they were all iconic Nintendo characters in their own rights. Even the characters represented through spin-offs, Yoshi and Wario, were pretty big names that almost everyone knew.

Now who ended up being the next Mario rep? Was it Daisy? Waluigi? Toad? Nope. It was Rosalina, a modern day Mario character who had only appeared in four games when she was chosen. Heck, she was even placed as a higher priority than Bowser Jr., a character who had been making consistent appearances in the main Mario games, Galaxy included. She was by no means a super iconic character who "left a mark in gaming", yet she still got in Smash regardless. Some might say that she only got in because of her unique moveset, but Rosalina had never done anything that would've caused Sakurai or anyone else to consider her a puppet character. That was something Sakurai and the development team had to come up with themselves, and that never would've happened if they didn't consider Rosalina to be a serious contender in the first place.

Now if Sakurai was willing to do something unexpected with the Mario series, the pride and joy of Nintendo, who's to say he couldn't try something with Zelda? Yeah, the Champions aren't too notable in their franchise by comparison of Midna or Skull Kid, but you're making the same mistake as those who wrote off Rosa after comparing her to the likes of Daisy and Waluigi. Instead of writing them off because other more iconic Zelda characters failed to get in Smash, focus on what the Champions themselves have going for them and compare that to their competition. They're part of one of the most successful and innovative Zelda games of all time, and that's something that other one-off characters like Midna and Ghirahim can't say. They each have their own unique moveset potential, have relevancy on their side, and have the automatic advantage of being the only other Zelda newcomers who would fit with the BotW theme without being forced and redesigned. Then there's also the fact that this is their first time to be considered for Smash, whereas every other Zelda character has been rejected at least once (most have been rejected twice).

A Zelda newcomer isn't guaranteed, but as you said yourself, the LoZ series is going strong. If there was ever a time to add a character, now's the time, and I think the relevancy and massive popularity of BotW gives the Champions the edge over virtually every other Zelda character, even those from the recent remakes and HW.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

i'd like it a lot better than the other ultra beasts people talk about, but id still prefer decidueye or lycanroc. not that i'd complain, of course

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Ehh...that's not saying much. I really enjoyed the SSE but it really didn't utilize a lot of its cast well at all. As far as characters who even had somewhat of a role...

:mario2: :kirby2: - Basically the two main protagonists. Fighters who first notice the Subspace stuff and get separated when Petey Piranha and the Primids attacked. Mario's motivation is, like always, Peach's safety first and foremost. Kirby, meanwhile, just wants to help out, considering his friends got kidnapped or are actively missing.
:pit: - After watching what happened at the tournament he sets out to help. His motivation seemingly stems from not wanting the tournament interrupted (clearly Pit is a massive sports fan) or seeing lives at stake.
:diddy: - After the Koopa Army steals their bananas, he and DK set out to stop them, only for DK to be kidnapped. Diddy's motivation is to find DK.
:rob: - The Ancient Minister himself. Cowed into submission by Ganondorf and forced to have his people manufacture Subspace bombs, not wanting any harm to befall his race. Eventually stands up for himself after seeing more and more R.O.B.s give their lives, only for his race and the entire Isle of the Ancients to be destroyed in the process.
:lucas: - Seeks revenge on Wario for capturing Ness, and teams up with the Pokémon Trainer. A scared little kid who was left all alone in the world, he seeks stability. Somewhat completes his arc by blasting off Galleom's arm to help Meta Knight save the Pokémon Trainer.
:pt: - He wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Helps Lucas find Ness seemingly in exchange for helping him catch a Charizard.
:zerosuitsamus::samus2: - Investigating the Island of the Ancients in an attempt to recover her Power Suit. Also saves Pikachu.
:pikachu2: - Was used as an energy source for the Subspace Bomb factory. More of a weapon than a character, but does save Samus from Ridley.
:fox: - Had his Arwing shot down. Marooned, he gets literally dragged along by Diddy to help. His Arwing assisted in the fight against the Gunship.
:metaknight: - Trying to recover the Halberd which is being used to spread Shadow Bugs.
:dedede: - Is aware of everything but due to Terrible People Skills™ he comes off as a bad guy. Develops the brooches that reactivate the fallen trophies.
:falcon: - Secures an escape route out of the Bomb Factory and assists in the dogfight.
:bowser2::wario::ganondorf: - Serve Master Hand, who is being controlled by Tabuu. All three act as sources of conflict.

:peach::zelda::dk2::ness2::luigi2: - Act as damsels in distress more or less, and are otherwise filler. Ness and Luigi are resurrected by Dedede, but do nothing worth noting on their own.
:link2: - Gets the Master Sword from the forest...but we don't know why. Joins Mario after a misunderstanding.
:marth: - Is defending a castle from Primid invasions...but we don't know why. Also where the hell is his army.
:snake: - Sneaks aboard the Halberd...but we don't know why.
:falco::ike::lucario::sonic: - Show up out of nowhere to help (in Lucario's case after a fight) but have no further narrative purpose.
:popo::olimar::yoshi2: - Only there for the ride, pretty much. Padding. Olimar at least helps with the Hocotate ship, but still.
:jigglypuff::toonlink::wolf: - Literally Irrelevant

Then we had Master Hand who was being controlled by Tabuu, and Tabuu himself as the main antagonist.

So in general, a good portion of the cast could have been removed and literally nothing would change. This is most egregious with Link, Marth, and Snake, in my opinion, as they clearly had reasons to be where they were, but those reasons were never given. But yeah, when nearly half the playable roster doesn't have any proper development or even reason for being in the story mode, it's a sign that the cast was too big to handle. Like I said, I love the SSE, but there were some clear problems, and a lot come from cast management.
You forgot about good ol' :gw:

:gw:- Source of the Shadow Bugs, Pilot(s) of the Halberd prior to Meta Knight retaking it, and Duon.

I love you Game and Watch, but Duon?
Duon can just die. Hopefully painfully.

Also, I'd argue that Ness and Luigi are a little more important than you made them out to be, since they literally save about half the cast. Also, because Dedede gave up his badge to the princess, they also had to be there to revive him in return. Since Dedede eventually went on to fight and recruit Bowser, that means that they do have an action of importance.

While it's true that we don't know why he was there, Snake is responsible for throwing out the G&Ws controlling the Halberd, which allowed Meta Knight to retake it.

Sheik was also the one responsible for shooting Fox down on the Halberd, which is what allowed him to take part in the Duon Fight, while Peach was the one who chose to resurrect G&W, and convince him to join them with her umbrella. This is important because G&W is the source of the Shadow Bugs, so Peach recruiting him allows them to prevent the villains from creating any more Shadow Bugs.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think I prefer Lycanrock, but only if it gets moves from both Day/Night forms.

Without a character change, how can this work?

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Well, consider this.

Prior to Smash 4, Super Mario only had four characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser. These guys had been there since the very first Super Mario Bros game, and they were all iconic Nintendo characters in their own rights. Even the characters represented through spin-offs, Yoshi and Wario, were pretty big names that almost everyone knew.

Now who ended up being the next Mario rep? Was it Daisy? Waluigi? Toad? Nope. It was Rosalina, a modern day Mario character who had only appeared in four games when she was chosen. Heck, she was even placed as a higher priority than Bowser Jr., a character who had been making consistent appearances in the main Mario games, Galaxy included. She was by no means a super iconic character who "left a mark in gaming", yet she still got in Smash regardless. Some might say that she only got in because of her unique moveset, but Rosalina had never done anything that would've caused Sakurai or anyone else to consider her a puppet character. That was something Sakurai and the development team had to come up with themselves, and that never would've happened if they didn't consider Rosalina to be a serious contender in the first place.

Now if Sakurai was willing to do something unexpected with the Mario series, the pride and joy of Nintendo, who's to say he couldn't try something with Zelda? Yeah, the Champions aren't too notable in their franchise by comparison of Midna or Skull Kid, but you're making the same mistake as those who wrote off Rosa after comparing her to the likes of Daisy and Waluigi. Instead of writing them off because other more iconic Zelda characters failed to get in Smash, focus on what the Champions themselves have going for them and compare that to their competition. They're part of one of the most successful and innovative Zelda games of all time, and that's something that other one-off characters like Midna and Ghirahim can't say. They each have their own unique moveset potential, have relevancy on their side, and have the automatic advantage of being the only other Zelda newcomers who would fit with the BotW theme without being forced and redesigned. Then there's also the fact that this is their first time to be considered for Smash, whereas every other Zelda character has been rejected at least once (most have been rejected twice).

A Zelda newcomer isn't guaranteed, but as you said yourself, the LoZ series is going strong. If there was ever a time to add a character, now's the time, and I think the relevancy and massive popularity of BotW gives the Champions the edge over virtually every other Zelda character, even those from the recent remakes and HW.
Whether or not you could make a moveset out of a Champion is much less significant than that they've only been in a single title and it was very recent.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I guess Fossil Fighters will just forever go ignored by the Smash community.
Yeah. Ill keep rooting for him but the smash community for whatever reason just COMPLETELY ignores him and idk why. Like it genuinely baffles me lol
Also it has had 3 games. 2014 being the most recent one.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It needs a new game first.

Doesn't help it's a little niche.
It also needs to sell well enough to warrant inclusion. I don't think any of the games have broke a million sales. Doesn't exactly scream "Smash character guaranteed" to me.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Ill keep rooting for him but the smash community for whatever reason just COMPLETELY ignores him and idk why. Like it genuinely baffles me lol
Finally! Another of my kind! ;v;
So... What about a Fossil Fighters rep? I personally think Hunter and Duna would be the obvious picks!
If we got Hunter as a playable character I can imagine his alts would have 4 bases.
Hunter (default)
Rosie
Dino
Dina

Each would have a different color. Hunter would swap colors with Rosie and Dino will swap colors with Dina.
I'm still waiting for people to acknowledge Fossil Fighters' existence.
So what if they added Duna from Fossil Fighters in 5mash?

Believe me when I say she is a fan favorite! Her neutral attacks would most likely involve clawswipes (inspired by the manga) and tail smacks with a few kicks through in.

Her specials however would obviously involve her battle mode!

:GCB:: A simple bite that has a chance to start the opponent's shield break animation.
:GCR::GCB:: She pounces onto the opponent. This is a command grab similar to SSF2 Sandbag.
:GCD::GCB:: This one actually keeps her in her normal form. She summons a Dinomaton
to attack the opponent, much like Zelda's Phantom and Duck Hunt's wild gunmen but a bit faster and with less lag.
:GCU::GCB:: Simply teleports.

Her final smash will summon King Dynal and Raptin in their battle modes as well as have Duna in her battle mode.

All three will use their team attacks at the same time similar to Pokemon Trainer's Triple Finish.

Aside from the default costumes (default, blue, red and green) she will have four costumes.
One based on her human form

One based on Delta

And two based on the other Dinaurians.

If you wanted to add a 9th one then colors based on the Dinomaton could work.
I've tried multiple times to peak people's interest in these characters but to no avail!

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Its ok, people can keep talking about very relevant and important characters like Geno and Issac and how theyre for sure getting in smash uwu

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Also it has had 3 games. 2014 being the most recent one.
It's still a pretty niche series, and it hasn't really remained relevant compared to the many other franchises and games that have come out since then. Plus, it seems that in general, people aren't interested in the franchise.

I don't really find them likley when you compare them to the other possible newcomers that can get in before them that are more popular.

Its ok, people can keep talking about very relevant and important characters like Geno and Issac and how theyre for sure getting in smash uwu
At least with those characters, they have been requested since Brawl, and have seen massive support during the ballot. Although, I don't think Geno is going to join the roster, I think Isaac has a little going for him. Plus his games were fairly successful, with obvious moveset potential.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Even if none of them are relevant right now, at least our characters can boast that they were relevant to begin with. :p

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Why would a random dinosaur from Fossil Fighters sound any more plausible than a character that got a Mii Costume and Isaac. I get sick of the repetition too but at least make some effort to explain why Fossil Fighters actually should be talked about fairly, as opposed to "this place sucks because it talks about x and y too much."

I don't really care for Isaac or Geno myself, but they seem far more likely in comparison to anyone, or any random dinosaur, from Fossil Fighters.
Finally! Another of my kind! ;v;

I've tried multiple times to peak people's interest in these characters but to no avail!
Honestly, I tried to like Fossil Fighters. It just felt like it was babying me the whole game, which clearly I am not the target audience but still it made me dislike the game overall.

As has been said already, the last Fossil Fighters game was in 2014 and it was never really a popular series. It makes sense why it hasn't seen a lot of discussion here.

Last edited:

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Say I could use help with a moveset idea I had for a FF rep! Wanna help?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So I had a wild dream last night:

Picture this: It's Nintendo's E3 presentation. They've just showed off Generation VIII Pokemon, a new Mario platformer, Metroid Prime 4, the announcement of MOTHER 4, all that jazz. Then, we get to the next game they show off, Super Mario Maker 2.0, a sequel that adds tons of new level elements and features, including additional playable characters with their own abilities. Slated for a September 2018 release. Keep this part in mind.

Then, at the end of the presentation we finally get Smash 5 news in the form of a trailer. It starts off with grayed-out animations of battles from the previous Smash installments, from the N64 original up to the Wii U, all of which featuring Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby. Then it immediately cuts to Smash 5 gameplay, with the same characters. Shortly after, we get a montage of every playable character from the last few installments, made in an identical way to the opening of the N64 original. It then transitions to show gameplay of Inkling via multiple snippets of different battles, showing her off as a stage control character with a unique ink mechanic. We also see newcomers Spring Man, Takamaru, Isaac, and Snip & Clip shown in a similar fashion. Next follows a selection of CGI cutscenes in the style of Smash 4's newcomer trailers, confirming there will be a Subspace Emissary-esque mode. Following this are more newcomers, albeit each having half the footage the others did: Waluigi, Bandanna Waddle Dee, King K. Rool, Kamek, Pheromosa, Rex and Pyra, Isabelle, Paper Mario, Rabbid Mario, Simon Belmont, Celica, Shantae, Lilac, Banjo & Kazooie, and Ridley. We get some more battles featuring several of the characters followed a shadowed view of a cybernetic being, presumably the antagonist of the SSE-mode, followed by every character standing on a cliffside in one longshot. Finally, we get the game's logo: Super Smash Bros. Crash. Slated for June 12, 2018.

I lost my ****ing **** so hard I woke up.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
fitting that the toa of earth should advocate a game about unearthing fossils. ;)

tbh i'd never heard of fossil fighters until the last go-around of smash talk. was there a reason it didn't take off? i've only seen one or two monster designs but they looked pretty cool. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roberk

Smash Champion
I guess Fossil Fighters will just forever go ignored by the Smash community.
Well, I only see you occasionally posting in this thread along the lines of "why does nobody care?" but not actually promoting the characters much. I checked the support threads for "Fossil Fighter", "Hero", and "Hunter" and found nothing. I'd love to read about these characters and why I should support them within the context of Smash, but I don't see any options for that. As others have stated, the series isn't relevant or popular enough to have people go out and research it on their own. I don't care about Fossil Fighters because I barely know what it is. Present more promotion and information about the series with why it should be in Smash and it might pique our interest. It's not being ignored within the Smash community, it simply doesn't exist.

Smartz

Smash Cadet
I don’t care what the game looks like, what the new comers are, hell even if its Brawl. I just want my Ice Climbers back...

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
tbh i'd never heard of fossil fighters until the last go-around of smash talk. was there a reason it didn't take off? i've only seen one or two monster designs but they looked pretty cool. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think the reason it isn't popular is because most people see it and pass it off as another Pokemon rip-off. But if you actually play the game you'll find many things that make this series almost completely unique!

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
fitting that the toa of earth should advocate a game about unearthing fossils. ;)

Remember fossil excavation from Diamond and Pearl? It's like that, but it's the whole game.
Shieldon for Smash
So I had a wild dream last night:

Kamek
Yes, yes you did.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Even if none of them are relevant right now, at least our characters can boast that they were relevant to begin with. :p
It's a shame that a lot of franchises that were relevant didn't get better representation in Smash. It might've helped their staying power. Games like Golden Sun broke a million sales with a single game (the first AFAIK), others like Advance Wars got critical acclaim and perfect scores. What do they get in Smash? A single assist trophy.
Compare with Punch-Out!!, which has years of fame (unique arcade game + sequel, pop-culture phenomenon NES game) and just needed a single game to make it relevant. The Wii game didn't make such a big splash but Punch-Out!! had a lot going for it already, relevancy was just the tipping point.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's a shame that a lot of franchises that were relevant didn't get better representation in Smash. It might've helped their staying power. Games like Golden Sun broke a million sales with a single game (the first AFAIK), others like Advance Wars got critical acclaim and perfect scores. What do they get in Smash? A single assist trophy.
Compare with Punch-Out!!, which has years of fame (unique arcade game + sequel, pop-culture phenomenon NES game) and just needed a single game to make it relevant. The Wii game didn't make such a big splash but Punch-Out!! had a lot going for it already, relevancy was just the tipping point.
Once a series gets into Smash, I feel like that cements its relevancy. Series like Splatoon and Xenoblade will always have a degree of relevance because they're playable in one of the biggest crossover fighting games ever.

ThiagoCavalcanteCarvalho

Smash Apprentice
Question: Do you think they should include something from the Hanafuda cards? They are very important to the Nintendo's history, of course, and they are a game, but it is an analogue. So? How is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom