• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Nantenjex has been giving a lot of characters unusually high scores, while at the same time giving Pauline a 1%, I don't get.
Honestly any video with him giving the rating is a lost cause, I've found. The Celica video was a pretty good example. Like, she's far from a shoo in, and I say that as one of her biggest advocates, but the arguments against her were laughably bad. It used Pichu's cut status in Brawl as "proof" that a self-damage-in-exchange-for-high-power gimmick wouldn't work, despite the slew of other reasons Pichu may have been cut, for one. And then the video was really disingenuous by implying her best shot would be as a Marth clone because of Warriors, ignoring the reasons they made her a clone there in the first place (last minute addition, each character locked to one weapon, and they felt having her use a tome would've gone against her character since she spellslings without one...none of these are limitations that Smash would have). Didn't help that the video used Warriors footage exclusively and the description was just "Female Mage Marth."

Yeah, Nantenjex has a lot of issues with his arguments. :p

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
*Someone mentions a random Pokemon*

Three days later: "Where is all this support for [insert Pokemon] coming from?"
Eevee bandwagons for the Let’s Go Pokemon rumors in a nutshell

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly any video with him giving the rating is a lost cause, I've found. The Celica video was a pretty good example. Like, she's far from a shoo in, and I say that as one of her biggest advocates, but the arguments against her were laughably bad. It used Pichu's cut status in Brawl as "proof" that a self-damage-in-exchange-for-high-power gimmick wouldn't work, despite the slew of other reasons Pichu may have been cut, for one. And then the video was really disingenuous by implying her best shot would be as a Marth clone because of Warriors, ignoring the reasons they made her a clone there in the first place (last minute addition, each character locked to one weapon, and they felt having her use a tome would've gone against her character since she spellslings without one...none of these are limitations that Smash would have). Didn't help that the video used Warriors footage exclusively and the description was just "Female Mage Marth."

To be honest, the only major things I agree with him on is that the "trends of the time" Sakurai has talked about for previous games would still be a big factor for Smash Switch and that Sakurai could have started development in early 2016 based off his "breather" comment.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
*Someone mentions a random Pokemon*

Three days later: "Where is all this support for [insert Pokemon] coming from?"
Let me tell you about Arbok:

1. A gen 1 anime staple!
2. Relevant again due to new games
3. It's purple. How many characters are purple? Exactly.

Come on, the Arbok train is underway!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Eh, I do not think Dixie and Cranky would be jumbled together though. When it came to Tropical Freeze marketing in 2014, they were advertised separately and not mainly together. I feel Dixie and Kiddy would make more sense as a duo because of how contrasting they would be. Just a brief idea, but I would imagine Dixie would have a strong air with a weakness of being lightweight. Kiddy would be heavy and powerful, but having a weak air game and being a fastfaller. That would create a more distinct play-style than Dixie and Cranky together.
While an interesting idea, it's not as realizable because of Kiddy Kong's significant absence from the series recently. It would be bizarre to bring him back in Smash before in his home series.

I was originally considering Dixie and Funky together for similar reasons (and because both character models can use the other Kongs as starting points), but Funky was not playable until recently. I suppose it's still possible that Sakurai might've decided Funky would work better to contrast them when considering how much time could be saved by using DK and Diddy as the base models. That said, it's probably best to predict Dixie making it alone despite the scrapped team idea.

I cannot see a spinoff being a big influence to a character's inclusion. If anything, important appearances in new mainline Zelda titles would factor to her inclusion more. Old Impa's role in BOTW is not that significant.
I think Hyrule Warriors could be a notable exception based on how significant a game it ended up being. It was released on three different consoles, was the only new Zelda game for the Wii U, and received extremely positive attention. Further, Impa is a popular character and the most recurring character in the Zelda series to not yet be playable in Smash.

Given the popularity of the series, the success of Hyrule Warriors, the release of BotW, and even the rereleases of OoT, MM, TP, and WW, it's not unreasonable to think that Sakurai would consider a Zelda character. If he does, then Impa makes more sense than any of her competition, which is mostly one off characters and Tingle.

I cannot see Funky being added late in development. Sakurai only added clones in Smash 4 with alternate costume to character situations last game, and I cannot imagine Funky starting out as an alternate costume. It is more likely that potential newcomer clones that get added in Smash Switch will be planned from the start rather than adding during mid-development.
That's fair. Funky is admittedly a reach on my part.

Even with Sakurai's personal history of Castlevania being more significant than Bomberman? I am not so sure on that. I think Simon having a high amount of support would be sufficable for Sakurai to take the opportunity negotiate Simon first over Bomberman.
Well, Sakurai has in the past rejected characters that he personally wants in favor of characters that are more requested. See: Takamaru.

That said, Simon Belmont is making more and more sense to me. I'll have to wait and see, but it's possible that the leak is right. I'm considering making a change to my roster so it has Simon, which then makes it align with the leak.

I definitely thought so about Decidueye previously, until I researched the Pokemon criteria Sakurai gave way back in Smash 4. It is important that a newcomer has a combination of benefits such as being marketed heavily in other media, anime significance, having unique potential, and being a Pokemon TPC will push in the future. Decidueye has uniqueness, but nothing beyond that to help his favor, even if Decidueye would perfectly fill in a distinct character archetype for the roster.
That's extremely fair.

Honestly I'm having a hard time making a solid prediction on the Pokemon newcomers. Decidueye has been my go to in the past, but it's beginning to look like a toss up between him, Lycanroc, Mimikyu, and Rowlet. I haven't given up hope on him since Rowlet is still being pushed by TPC and Decidueye seems to be the most unique among those ones, but I'm definitely not confident.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Deidueye is pretty much Smash 5's version of Smash 4's Sceptile, it's pretty much the same reasons "starter trio" "unrepresented generation".

I'd add Zeraora to the list of Lycanroc and Mimikyu for good measure.
To a lesser extent maybe even Incineroar and Buzzwole.
Zeraora would be an interesting choice. Between Incineroar and Buzzwole, I think Incineroar has a better chance just because the whole leaked pictures from so long ago, but I get why Buzzwole could be picked too because of the whole ultra beast schtick.

God, I love Pokémon.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, if we get an Ultra Beast, it wouldn't be Buzzwole (as much as I want him) since he's a version exclusive.

Nihilego is more significant to Sun and Moon than any other Ultra Beast.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Can I ask why people want Pauline? I finished Odyssey myself and she never really does anything. I'm not trying to be a hater but Pauline's done even less than Daisy and many people here think Daisy might as well not exist. Is it just because Pauline was the chick in the original Donkey Kong game? What would she do in Smash?

EDIT: Not saying she doesn't "deserve" a spot by any means. I just have no clue why she has such a large fanbase for the little I've seen her do.
Can't really speak for anyone else but I just like really her as a character. I'd also love to see the Minis from Mario VS DK in Smash and I think they'd go very well with her.
If you want reasons for her to legitimately be in Smash then she's an integral part of Nintendo's history being in the original DK arcade game along with appearing in like every Mario vs DK game and now Odyssey. There's a reason so many people reacted positively to her appearance in Odyssey. She's not really got much of a chance in hell for Smash but still, we like her.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Nah, she's clearly as likely as Chun-Li but less likely than Quote and Blood Falcon, and she's only slightly more likely than Giygas. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Hyrule Warriors could be a notable exception based on how significant a game it ended up being. It was released on three different consoles, was the only new Zelda game for the Wii U, and received extremely positive attention. Further, Impa is a popular character and the most recurring character in the Zelda series to not yet be playable in Smash.

Given the popularity of the series, the success of Hyrule Warriors, the release of BotW, and even the rereleases of OoT, MM, TP, and WW, it's not unreasonable to think that Sakurai would consider a Zelda character. If he does, then Impa makes more sense than any of her competition, which is mostly one off characters and Tingle.
BOTW will probably be the biggest influence for new Zelda content, but I do not see a new character coming unless such a character becomes an important, notable, and popular staple for the franchise. I do not see Impa as a significant enough Zelda character for me to see her as a playable character. I can see BOTW Champions being very briefly considered for playable characters, but that is as far as I feel Sakurai will touch with the Zelda newcomer pool.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Can I ask why people want Pauline? I finished Odyssey myself and she never really does anything. I'm not trying to be a hater but Pauline's done even less than Daisy and many people here think Daisy might as well not exist. Is it just because Pauline was the chick in the original Donkey Kong game? What would she do in Smash?

EDIT: Not saying she doesn't "deserve" a spot by any means. I just have no clue why she has such a large fanbase for the little I've seen her do.
People are thinking she'll be Odyssey's "Rosalina".

I can definitely see the appeal for Pauline. I'd really like for her to incorporate some of Mario's abilities from Odyssey into her moveset, but that's an idea most people aren't sold on. The next best thing would be for her to have a hodge podge of moves from the games she appeared in (attack with a mic stand and various instruments, use Minis, etc.).

That's something I'll have to disagree with. Impa's best shot was back in Smash 4 after the 2011 release of both OoT3D and SS. Hyrule Warriors was a big game, no questions there. However, it's no contest when you compare it to what BotW was back then. If Sakurai is going with a BotW theme this time around, then I honestly can't imagine why he'd randomly shoot for Impa when the version of her we want in Smash wasn't present in BotW.

Just for the sake of sticking with the theme and adding a character from something as massive as BotW, I'm gonna have to say the Champions are more likely (Sorry if I came across as matter-of-factly. I just can't wait for Mipha's day in the RTC thread. I've been dying to make my argument).

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So the N64 has been trademarked by nintendo... suggesting the N64 Classic console.

Smash 64?

Metal Mario confirmed?

Does this potentially open a window of opportunity for characters more relevant back in the 64 era?

What kind of surprises could this console have, akin to Star Fox 2 on SNES Classic?

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Not that I'm a big Pauline supporter or anything myself (Though I wouldn't mind her per se. A moveset that combines the original Arcade game, Mario Vs. Donkey kong (With attacking mini-marios most likely), and Odyssey all-in-one has some intriguing possibilities.)

She did appear in something that kinda makes it seem Nintendo really does see her as a starring female character

You have 3 of the 5 that are already in Smash (Peach, Rosalina, and Zelda). 1 That was considered for Brawl but ultimately dropped (Toon Zelda). And then for some reason Pauline is there.

Not something I personally put alot of bank on myself. But I'm pretty sure it at least made Daisy fans seethe with anger/jealousy :V

Roberk

Smash Champion
Guys, Torterra will happen. It's a perfect newcomer for both Pokemon and Smash! "We need more heavyweights." Boom. "We need more Grass starters." Boom. "We need more non-humanoid designs." Boom.

And relevancy? Sinnoh remakes bois.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Here's my admittedly boring prediction roster based on the idea that the Ridley, Simon, icies leak is true.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is there any reason to believe the Ridley/Simon/IC leak?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And I'll be interested in reading it.
Please do. Not many people have faith in the Champions, so I've really got to give it my all if I want to convince the toxic cesspool of negativity and pessimism filling up RTC thread that Mipha has a genuine chance.

Not that I have high hopes. Anything higher than a 33% would make me extremely happy.

Not that I'm a big Pauline supporter or anything myself (Though I wouldn't mind her per se. A moveset that combines the original Arcade game, Mario Vs. Donkey kong (With attacking mini-marios most likely), and Odyssey all-in-one has some intriguing possibilities.)

She did appear in something that kinda makes it seem Nintendo really does see her as a starring female character

You have 3 of the 5 that are already in Smash (Peach, Rosalina, and Zelda). 1 That was considered for Brawl but ultimately dropped (Toon Zelda). And then for some reason Pauline is there.

Not something I personally put alot of bank on myself. But I'm pretty sure it at least made Daisy fans seethe with anger/jealousy :V
Honestly, that appearance really surprised me. It made me happy, but that seemed like the golden opportunity to include someone more iconic like Daisy or Toadette.

Here's my admittedly boring prediction roster based on the idea that the Ridley, Simon, icies leak is true.
Seems like a safe guess all around. I have some doubts about Impa and Decidueye, but I guess it's still reasonable to expect them.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Your daily reminder that Mimikyu is the best.

Its fighting Pikachu in the anime and uses its Z move on him.

Yeah, I second that.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The guy behind the leak also leaked MP4 and the fact that Namco is developing it apparently, there's not that much to go on otherwise tho
The source who leaked the Namco thing is only claiming that Ridley is in the game. The Ridley, Simon, and Ice Climbers part is from someone else. Someone who Vergeben knows who has "gotten things right in the short time that he has known them".

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Seen some Pokemon talk, thought I'd bring one up;

Has Poipole ever been considered? It's an Ultra Beast, notably the only one that evolves and part of Ash's team in the anime(which makes it his first one of a kind Pokemon?).

Seems like it should be a prime candidate for consideration but I've not seen any talk about it before?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Please do. Not many people have faith in the Champions, so I've really got to give it my all if I want to convince the toxic cesspool of negativity and pessimism filling up RTC thread that Mipha has a genuine chance.

Not that I have high hopes. Anything higher than a 33% would make me extremely happy.

Honestly, that appearance really surprised me. It made me happy, but that seemed like the golden opportunity to include someone more iconic like Daisy or Toadette.

Seems like a safe guess all around. I have some doubts about Impa and Decidueye, but I guess it's still reasonable to expect them.
Yeah, Impa's a character I'm not sure of but I'm banking on the fact that we will get some type of Zelda rep, I just don't know who. The same applies to Takamaru, you could replace him with any retro character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I feel Pauline and the spirit/phantom version of Toon Zelda are strong contenders for this installment. These are very popular female Nintendo characters. Not saying being female helps their chances. Just using that to describe them.

monadoboy

Smash Lord

All 58 characters return, as do wolf and icies. Plus 13 newcomers gives us a roster of 73 characters total.
Not boring at all, it's pretty solid and believable. Aside from Dixie (her design freaks me out, the blond hair and make up-like appearance feels uncanny valley-ish to me) Rayman (he sticks out like a sore thumb among the third parties) and Isabelle (I like her a lot but I don't want to hurt her tbh), I love it.

Has Poipole ever been considered? It's an Ultra Beast, notably the only one that evolves and part of Ash's team in the anime(which makes it his first one of a kind Pokemon?).

Seems like it should be a prime candidate for consideration but I've not seen any talk about it before?
Considering he's basically a 7.5 gen Pokemon, I'd say too late, like Zeraora.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The source is Vergeben. Who's not exactly the most reliable of leakers.

Seeing as how he's gotten a few things right, I guess it's something to keep in mind.

The guy behind the leak also leaked MP4 and the fact that Namco is developing it apparently, there's not that much to go on otherwise tho
That was actually leaked a few days before. The guy tends to piggyback off of others (notably with Street Fighter 5).

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
It was never meant to be taken seriously to be frank. Even Nantenjex admitted it was just for fun.
This is very true. I think people are misunderstanding the purpose of these videos. They're not intended to be compared to each other, it's not some overall hierarchy of percentages. I think the percentages are just there to sum up the thoughts of the individual person making that video. I think they're supposed to be viewed as a vacuum individually.

The whole point of them is just to bring views to the channel with videos that deliver on a quick promise. "Hey, we're gonna talk about this character some and then give it a number." It's easy to watch and doesn't require a lot of commitment for the viewer or the people producing them. Additionally, it's nice that it gets people talking about characters! Although, the natural outcome (because frankly it's easier) is that people simply compare the figures at the end of the video instead of talking about the pros and cons.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

I don't see him as likely at all. Sakurai apparently decides most of the charcaters he wants in before development. If Smash Switch development was started in 2016 than Poipole didn't even exist, yet. I don't feel like this is a great point personally but it is one nonetheless.

His body just seems really hard to make work in Smash. It's alot easier with the very limited animations in Pokemon but in Smash they go frame by frame and I just can't imagine Poipole....doing anything but spitting acid.

(Also it isn't actually one of a kind. Eventually they will let you catch multiple just like every other Ultra Beast prior, I'm calling it now.)

I feel Pauline and the spirit/phantom version of Toon Zelda are strong contenders for this installment. These are very popular female Nintendo characters. Not saying being female helps their chances. Just using that to describe them.
I asked this question earlier but since you think Pauline is likely: how would Paulina play in Smash 5? What would she do? What is there for her to draw a move-set from?

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

I've brought up Poipole before, but he's sandwiched between Zeraora who is starring in the upcoming movie, and Mimikyu who is a member of Team Rocket and has been appearing in numerous episodes as a major character since episode three.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Pauline sings and is loyal to Mario...that in itself is good enough for her to atleast be a background stage singer for an Odyssey stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom