• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I can't say Crash and Spyro would be my first picks but their legacy cannot be denied and it would be incredible to have them.
Legacy they may have, they are extremely unlikely to both be added to Smash in the same game and revealed at the same time.

Especially if the roster was in fact decided back in early 2016, long before both characters' trilogy remakes (which this leak attributes to them) would play any sort of factor.

EDIT:
Crash, I can at least see have a remote possibility at that point in time. But definitely not Spyro.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Legacy they may have, they are extremely unlikely to both be added to Smash in the same game and revealed at the same time.

Especially if the roster was in fact decided back in early 2016, long before both characters' trilogy remakes (which this leak attributes to them) would play any sort of factor.

EDIT:
Crash, I can at least see have a remote possibility at that point in time. But definitely not Spyro.
I'm not denying that, I agree completely. Already said I'm still definitely on the side of fake.

I just meant that they absolutely meet the criteria.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I guess Spyro has the added benefit of representing the the Skylanders series, which was a huge success back in the day, and we did see Bowser and DK playable in Skylanders.

Just something to think about. :dr^_^:

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
You know I wouldn't mind Crash and Spyro in smash 5. I still hope we get Arle Nadja Rayman Bomberman Simon Travis Touchdown and Geno for Smash 5 I really want those third parties in smash 5.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I like both Crash and Spyro.

They're both great characters, but I just don't see it.

I could see it more if we're talking about DLC.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Speaking of weird third party choices, I still can't believe that Steve is actually somewhat likely. Does anyone have a case against it?

Also, it just occurred to me, how would they portray him? Would he have elbows and knees? Would he have an expressive face? Would he actually just be 6 blocks with static textures?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76571076?page=19

Hey guys, just woke up after getting some much needed sleep and my mind is a lot clearer than it was last night.

And I want to come clean about a few things.

This leak is based heavily on a pre-existing 4chan post that was made a few days ago, and that was not me. I’ve been claiming to be the guy who posted that on 4chan because I wanted to incentivize further discussion about this. I did make a similar topic about this on the Smash Switch boards, and had it deleted because I was being a dumbass and endangered the job of my friend.

I do have a contact, but it is not a guy from Nintendo and they’ve only been able to verify a few things. Not gonna say what because it could be a way to identify who he is. I’m not trying to trick people with this post and I admit I was very cocky with my title. I regret wording it as such.

Let me preface my next words by saying, I’m not trying to set myself up for a “well I didn’t believe it either so I’m still right” situation. If Nintendo doesn’t reveal anything on May 7th I’m gonna believe this is false, no questions asked.

Reading what you guys are saying, I am beginning to doubt this info myself. CloudStrife was being a bit stubborn last night but he brings up a really good point about how Lustrous and Daybreak are literally the first synonyms for Radiant and Dawn on the thesaurus, among other contradictions you guys brought up.

I’m sorry for lying about my connection to this post and I will never do something like this again.

Don't believe everything you read.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
But they did reveal some things about the Online service, which adds some credibility, no?

And Toad and Crash would be awesome for Smash, but as always, grains of salt

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad, Crash and Spyro would honestly be my dream triple threat at E3. That's my childhood right there. Okay, Captain Toad's not my childhood specifically but you get the idea. I'd be hugely hyped unlike seemingly 90% of you. Still you get your broken icies if that is the case at least!

Waluigi playable in a mainline Mario game instantly casts doubt though more than any newcomer Smash stuff such as Spyro being a virtual unknown in Japan.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Today marks the 2-month anniversary of Smash 5's announcement.

Too bad we still know NOTHING

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Another Dragon in Smash, a Purple Dragon at that, instead of Ridley, would be terrible.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd believe this rumor if it said that Crash and Spyro would both be playable in Smash, but both reveals in the span of 40 minutes? I can't see that happening.
Not in the last place because I can't see only three reveals + ICs happening when the game is supposed to release 2018. They gotta show more than that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd believe this rumor if it said that Crash and Spyro would both be playable in Smash, but both reveals in the span of 40 minutes? I can't see that happening.
Not in the last place because I can't see only three reveals + ICs happening when the game is supposed to release 2018. They gotta show more than that.
If there are two 3rd party newcomers in the game it's likely they'll both be revealed at E3, it's the biggest stage and those are the biggest inclusions, so I don't think it's outlandish that both would be revealed in the same presentation, especially not if they are as closely tied together as Crash and Spyro are.

I do agree that only 3 newcomers is on the low side though, if this rumor is true then either more will be revealed at the Invitational, or this game just won't have many newcomers.

D

Deleted member

This leak is rather "interesting".
I doubt it is true, considering that getting Crash and Spyro in would be difficult as they are both fairly iconic megatons. I think in the reveal, we could see only one third party.

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Imagine there being a purple dragon playable in smash bros and it's not Ridley.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Thats pretty spot on for what was revealed with the switch online stuff, I'm always a sucker for leaks but theres credibility here and Toad, Crash, Spyro with Ice Climbers later on sounds like what E3 newcomers would look like. It's always been 3 newcomers for E3 and often where the third parties get revealed.

I like this rumor so again i feel i'm a bit biased simply because i like crash and spyro, they have that classic memorable character feel i like for smash, and toad seems like one of the top 3 most likely newcomers at this point now that inklings have been revealed and a certainly think hes deserving of a spot at this point.

other things like red and blue remakes (im a bit of a genwunner haha) i also like though i know other people would be disappointed in this rumor becoming a reality i dig it myself.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Spyro AND Crash in Smash
I kinda have a problem with this rumor.
It's the fact that if Crash and Spyro didn't had a remaster.Almost No one would "Actively" want them- And Spyro's Remake seems to be the consequences of Crash's Remake being a success- Which would make him too late to be choosen as a newcomers.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Spyro and Crash.

Are.

Not.

Going.

To be.

In.

Base. Game.

I will. eat. three pairs of boxer shorts if they are.
Will you stream it if it comes to that?

Side note: IF true, all the game needs now is for Cloud to return and Lara Croft to make an appearance then they could call it Super Smash Bros: Play Station All-Stars Battle Royale.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Not gonna lie, if this leak was somehow real, I would be kind of disappointed at Crash and Spyro. I didn’t grow up with a Playstation, so I have no personal attatchement to either one of those chararcters, and I feel two 3rd party characters in a row would be overkill.

Wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, though. At least they look like they belong in Smash; I’d take Crash and Spyro over Minecraft Steve any day :laugh:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Crash Bandicoot was planned to be in Smash, then I have a feeling the Trilogy game would've launched on the Switch too. Waiting almost a year after the game's release to carry it over to the Switch shows me that it took some serious negotiating from Nintendo. Even though we've seen some strange things with Sonic and Cloud, I doubt Sakurai would go through all the trouble to add a third-party character who may or may not end up making his big return on the Switch, especially since the timing of Crash's game was already in a bad spot to begin with.

Spyro though? Waaaaay too early for him. There's no way Sakurai would've had enough time to work on Spyro and have him ready for E3 unless Nintendo themselves stepped in and began negotiating and planning almost a year beforehand. DLC? Maybe. Base game? Don't think so.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think Crash and Spyro would be cool in pretty much finishing up the wet dream of a 90’s gamer.

However, how could Sakurai (a 3rd party contracted employee) know about Spyro especially in advance? Better yet, Crash remastered was PS4 exclusive and i’m pretty sure that came out last year.

I don’t expect this one to be real.
—-
I’ve considered the possibilities this year for E3, and I think something we’re overlooking is that this isn’t like other Smash games. We’ve got MAYBE 6 months until release. This is the first we’re going to see.

I think there’s a real chance we get a large chunk of the roster revealed, including returning 3rd parties. While they could keep a few things up the sleeves, I get a feeling that all 3rd parties could be revealed in the reveal trailer.

Just a thought. Nothing to back it up, but I have a hunch...and i’m not talking about my back :troll:

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Man, I hate this leak.
Crash and Spyro are an awful idea.
They have very little to do with Nintendo, and their legacy is small compared to the third parties in the game. Ryu is fighting game man, Cloud is Final Fantasy/JRPG guy, Sonic and Pac-Man are Sonic and Pac-Man, the others have very strong ties to Nintendo.

In some interviews Sakurai stated that he doesn't want to arbitrarily increase the third party numbers. They must be very big, or have strong reasons to be in the game. I can't see Crash and Spyro meeting those requirements.

I hate how there's so much hate for Nintendo franchises getting "overrepped" but so many people still want more third party characters. It's like the game being about Nintendo doesn't matter anymore.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'll be a contrarian and say that I believe Cross is more likely than Elma.
I didn't play Xenoblade X, from what I read the story focus on her.
However from the wiki of this game, it seems that Cross can choose from any class that decide the weapon wielded by the character. It gives more moveset potential.
He is also an avatar character, and we got two of them past game (Robin and Villager). While he doesn't have much personality compared to Elma, he is still an important member of your party, since you cannot remove him.
My two cents, since I don't really care about any of them. I am just surprised that Cross is not that much considered.
I am definitely with you there. I get that Elma is more well known than your avatar in XCX, but as we know, most series has their main character to be represented in Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Man, I hate this leak.
They have very little to do with Nintendo, and their legacy is small compared to the third parties in the game. Ryu is fighting game man, Cloud is Final Fantasy/JRPG guy, Sonic and Pac-Man are Sonic and Pac-Man, the others have very strong ties to Nintendo.

In some interviews Sakurai stated that he doesn't want to arbitrarily increase the third party numbers. They must be very big, or have strong reasons to be in the game. I can't see Crash and Spyro meeting those requirements.

I hate how there's so much hate for Nintendo franchises getting "overrepped" but so many people still want more third party characters. It's like the game being about Nintendo doesn't matter anymore.
If I recall, Nintendo and Sony were originally going to be allies, but a rivalry brewed when Nintendo wanted to stick with game cartridges for the N64, while Sony wanted to utilize compact discs.

Cloud's inclusion into Smash 3DS / Wii U could mean hope for Crash and/or Spyro, since like Cloud, they too debuted on the Sony PlayStation.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Man, I hate this leak.

Ahem... Cloud???

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ahem... Cloud???
Cloud may not have as strong of a connection to Nintendo, but he's still seen as the definitive RPG protagonist, the sort of character that most people think of when they think of the genre. Crash and Spyro don't really have that, though I could see Crash making it in at some point. (Spyro, I'm not as sure about; I don't know much about his original games, or if they're viewed as highly as Naughty Dog's Crash games)

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Interesting development, to say the least.

True or not (and I'm leaning towards not), can you imagine a world where Cloud, Spryo and Crash all make it into Smash Bros, but not PlayStation All Stars?

Nutty, man.
What kind of idiot would promise to eat a shoe? ;)

Also, I'm guessing Smash in September with new Online. No real logic, just a guess.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Isn't Spyro unpopular in Japan? As cool as he would be, I'd be pretty surprised if he made it into Smash.
He's pretty much nonexistant in Japan, and the ports that they did get of the original trilogy were apparently a mess, so yeah, it's hard to imagine.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Because most of the Characters left for Nintendo are C/D tiers.
Third Parties, even the Lowest we can think of are around S to B tiers characters.

Third Parties sells games and console by themselves and generate more hype.
C/D tiers Characters do not.

No need to be a genius to understand that Smash is a Console seller and Nintendo need more Star power in it. And Third Parties is where it is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man, I hate this leak.

I definitely don't see Spyro getting in since his games did really poorly in Japan, but Crash at the very least has a strong legacy. Plus Crash has had games on Nintendo systems, including Nintendo exclusive titles, since the GBA/GameCube days. He's not without merit.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The only Nintendo franchise that is really getting a huge number of criticism regarding "overrepresentation" at this point is Fire Emblem. Though given the how well-known the franchise and its characters are in comparison to Mario and Pokemon, I can't say I'm really surprised.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As much as I love Spyro I could only see him getting in with a big Activision push to market the new game.

Not impossible, given MGS snuck in ads for MGSV but have doubts.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Because most of the Characters left for Nintendo are C/D tiers.
Third Parties, even the Lowest we can think of are around S to B tiers characters.

Third Parties sells games and console by themselves and generate more hype.
C/D tiers Characters do not.

No need to be a genius to understand that Smash is a Console seller and Nintendo need more Star power in it. And Third Parties is where it is.
That's such bull****. Most of the third parties you guys pick are C/D tiers. Crash and spryo were virtually non-existing before they got a re-release. Go play Mugen if you want a third party extravaganza. Third parties should be guests, not a main stay in smash. This is a Nintendo game and should always include Nintendo characters first, and MAYBE one or two third parties.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's such bull****. Most of the third parties you guys pick are C/D tiers. Crash and spryo were virtually non-existing before they got a re-release. Go play Mugen if you want a third party extravaganza. Third parties should be guests, not a main stay in smash. This is a Nintendo game and should always include Nintendo characters first, and MAYBE one or two third parties.
Oh yeah because Sonic/Snake/Pac-Man/MegaMan/Cloud/Ryu/Rayman/Phoenix Wright/Layton/Sora/Lara-Croft/Agumon/Dante/any FF character/ Most of Capcom / Sonic characters are C/D tiers

Yeah. I'm sure Eggman or Phoenix Wright isn't as famous as Ridley/ K.Rool/Isaac and Chibi-Robot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom