• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I only need this song in my Smash. I remember being extremely disappointed when I saw Red Canyon listed in Smash 4's soundtrack and it wasn't this version.

Also kinda weird how Port Town never received its respective theme. It's pretty good.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Well we are getting an invitational (As well as a demo right?), considering the game will be coming out this year too. I'd think we'd probably get more newcomers revealed than Brawl's initial trailer. They might even pull a Melee and reveal the entire starting roster but I'm not as sure on that..
I'll be so upset if Smash doesn't get a test online run like Splatoon and Arms did. It would be perfect for the game! And give us at least a majority of the characters to pick from. I was glad we had a demo last time but 5 characters was a little ridiculous.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
What are you talking about?? The remixes (especially from Brawl) are almost all fantastic!
They use very good material as the basis for most of it, but they simply throw too much into it. Meta Knight's theme is a good example of them doing that and managing to get away with it. 02 Battle is a good example of them doing this and getting a mess. It's not even a bad premise (or a minimal song) to start with, but they just kind of get carried away. See also Green Greens Ver 2.
I'm trying to find tracks that virtually no one would argue about, but I get the feeling even then....

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Now I know characters are the thing people (myself included) get the most excited and passionate about discussing, but what I've recently found myself thinking about is what kind of music we'll hear in this game. What tracks are people here hoping for the most?

For me personally, these ones right here would probably be my top 5:

Honestly, picking even a top 5 is really hard for me when it comes to the music I wanna hear in this game. Nintendo's had such good music lately, it's really hard to choose lol.
1. Marx's Theme (Any form)

2.Darkness Returns (Robobot)

3.Studiopolis Act 2 (Sonic Mania)

4. Violight (Pokémon Conquest)

5. Galacta Knight (Return to Dream Land)

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
They use very good material as the basis for most of it, but they simply throw too much into it. Meta Knight's theme is a good example of them doing that and managing to get away with it. 02 Battle is a good example of them doing this and getting a mess. It's not even a bad premise (or a minimal song) to start with, but they just kind of get carried away. See also Green Greens Ver 2.
I'm trying to find tracks that virtually no one would argue about, but I get the feeling even then....
I think it just varies by composer. I agree that some remixes feel overbearing, or just plain odd (why it was decided that every Kirby song in Brawl should be a death metal remix will never cease to perplex me), but I do think that a majority of the remixes are well done. Of course there will be outliers (Cynthia’s Theme comes to mind), but I still feel that the overall quality is high.

Of course this is just my opinion, and you are equally entitled to your own.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
What I want more than anything else in terms of music for the next Smash is more Paper Mario. We got one remix medley in Smash 4 that I didn't care for, seeing as how 2/3 of it was some of the more boring songs from Sticker Star and the other 1/3 was a chopped up remix of the Rogueport theme that skips over my favorite part of the original. There's so many great tracks they could include, whether it be a remix or direct port. These are some of my favorites I'd like to see most:
(but I'll take literally anything as long as it's not restricted to just Sticker Star and Color Splash)

Some other stuff I'd love to see included is more Rhythm Heaven tracks and something from Pac-Man World 2. Whether or not we get a Rhythm Heaven character on the roster, I think it should at least receive some new music and maybe a stage. As for Pac-Man World 2, I have no idea why they didn't pull from this game for Smash 4's Pac-Land stage. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I would mention Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, but I think those are pretty much guaranteed to get music, if not full stages included.

EDIT: I totally forgot, I reeeaaally want some Miitopia music in the game too.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Now I know characters are the thing people (myself included) get the most excited and passionate about discussing, but what I've recently found myself thinking about is what kind of music we'll hear in this game. What tracks are people here hoping for the most?

Honestly, picking even a top 5 is really hard for me when it comes to the music I wanna hear in this game. Nintendo's had such good music lately, it's really hard to choose lol.
Not sure about an actual top 5, but here are 5 ones I could pick out from the top of my head that I'd like to get remixes:

I always like to see old songs get remixes over newer ones, there's something special about hearing nostalgic tunes without the restrictions of old soundchips.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I like all of those tracks (especially Meta Knight). Green Greens Ver. 2 is certainly a little "enthusiastic", but it's a lot of fun, not to mention they need to do something a little different from the first version. 02 I'm more iffy on.

Don't mean to pick apart your post, I've just never heard someone dislike Brawl's music, so I was curious why.

why it was decided that every Kirby song in Brawl should be a death metal remix will never cease to perplex me
Gourmet Race in Brawl is legitimately one of the greatest things that soundtrack gave us :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question arises, if this year's E3 is headlinign both Pokemon and Smash Bros... what are they gonna do next year? Animal Crossing?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it just varies by composer. I agree that some remixes feel overbearing, or just plain odd (why it was decided that every Kirby song in Brawl should be a death metal remix will never cease to perplex me), but I do think that a majority of the remixes are well done. Of course there will be outliers (Cynthia’s Theme comes to mind), but I still feel that the overall quality is high.

Of course this is just my opinion, and you are equally entitled to your own.
My main issue with the Smash 4 version of Cynthia's theme is that it feels like the song is having an identity crisis. One minute it's castanets and violin, and then...chip tune? Then it's back to a more subdued violin, this time with an added accordion, and then...chip tune again. It just feels really disjointed, which is a shame for one of Pokémon's best and most memorable songs. Sinnoh really got shafted in Smash 4, honestly. Why they gave the Sinnoh Wild Battle theme a worse remix instead of porting the old one and calling it a day, I'll never know. Speaking of underwhelming songs from Smash 4, my god did they not do the Fire Emblem Gaiden Fight Theme justice. Literally every other version of the song is better.

Granted Smash 4 still has some great original remixes, like the Jogging/Countdown theme, N's Castle, Pac-Man Club Mix, the SMB3 Athletic Theme, and the Fire Emblem Recruitment Medley, but a lot of the other original songs don't rank high at all for me.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Question arises, if this year's E3 is headlinign both Pokemon and Smash Bros... what are they gonna do next year? Animal Crossing?
If Nintendo makes me wait another year for an Animal Crossing Switch announcement I will riot in the streets

Not sure how much good that’ll do but I’d be pissed :042:

My main issue with the Smash 4 version of Cynthia's theme is that it feels like the song is having an identity crisis. One minute it's castanets and violin, and then...chip tune? Then it's back to a more subdued violin, this time with an added accordion, and then...chip tune again. It just feels really disjointed, which is a shame for one of Pokémon's best and most memorable songs. Sinnoh really got shafted in Smash 4, honestly. Why they gave the Sinnoh Wild Battle theme a worse remix instead of porting the old one and calling it a day, I'll never know. Speaking of underwhelming songs from Smash 4, my god did they not do the Fire Emblem Gaiden Fight Theme justice. Literally every other version of the song is better.
Yeah, the thing about the Cynthia remix for me was that it lacked the tension that oozed from the original. In Diamond and Pearl this was the hardest fight a trainer could endure, and the music made that palpable. It seems like, in Smash 4, they just couldn’t figure out how to translate that tension into something that still sounds really badass, and instead ended up with a cluttered mess of instruments.

But yeah, Smash 4 had some killer remixes. Wii Shop Channel/Mii Channel, Kappn’s Theme, Gerudo Valley, Rosalina in the Observatory, Pac-Man’s Park/Block Town, and Vs. Team Flare are all stand-outs to me, along with the ones you mentioned.

Also shout-outs to Dedede Theme v.2 for having a unique concept on a classic theme and making it feel very fresh, even if it wasn’t the best fighting music.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
New tracks/remixes I'd love in Smash5:
Tell me a chorus of Pikmin wouldn't be delightful to fight to.

The generally low-key nature of the music in the rest of the game makes this one hit extra hard!

Epic music from a game full of epic music.

A lot of stuff from this game would be great actually.

Too new probably, but something like this would be awesome!

Might have missed it's chance, but this was an epic boss fight theme.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here is a cool thing I found on Twitter upon researching more about Hanafuda, an artist drew a Hanafuda character in Smash concept way back in 2015, it looks hilarious as heck:

I want this.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Maybe Animal Crossing, if that doesn't get released sooner. But that's not really a massive crowd-hyper, despite its sales.

Metroid will probably get a lot of attention. Mario Maker, Luigi's Mansion, and new Mario Karts/Zeldas by then seem possible. Plus whatever Retro is making.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
02 a mess? That's crazy.

It sounds like someone's saying bacon over and over which is great.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace

Man, only 5? That's gonna be tough (especially since I enjoy gathering many VGM to listen to everywhere) My choice would then be:

5: VS. Emperor Bulblax - Hey! Pikmin (a very enjoyable and somewhat chilling track from a very enjoyable game)

4: The Darkest Lord Battle - Miitopia (Miitopia is one of my favourite game from the past few years and this theme isfar too kickass not to be included tbh)

3: Lanayru Mining Facility (Past) - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (call me coo-coo bananas but I have been obsessed with this song ever since I heard it five or six years ago)

2: In the Choice Between Good and Evil - Bayonetta (I had been pretty bummed to have no Auditio boss fight music in Sm4sh as DLC and it's time they correct that dreadful mistake, and this one is by a long shot the best one out of the 4)

1: P.R.O.G.R.A.M. - Kirby: Planet Robobot (Not having it in 5mash would be a flat out unforgivable SIN. It is far too amazing)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

For me

1. Vs. Red
Probably my favourite track from Pokemon. Such an awesome theme for a memorable battle and would be great to fight to in Smash. I'd be happy with pretty much any version of it but my pipedream is having the Symphonic Evolutions version in.
2. Porky Means Business
The transition from something you'd hear on the NES to a metal final boss theme is mindblowing when hearing it on the SNES. I'd love to hear a remix where it starts off the same before transitioning into the use of real instruements for a real head banger.
3. FFIV Boss Theme
I honestly could have just listed 5 FF tracks by Uematsu and I still wouldn't be sated. I narrowed this list down to not double up on a series so I picked what's probably my favourite boss theme period. Other honourable mentions are Clash on the Big Bridge and The Decisive Battle (FFVI).
4. BotW Trailer Theme (or the best video game music to not be in a video game)
5. Jump Up Superstar
The moment Smash becomes a dancing game for me.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
All I need is this song.
It doesn't even need to be a remix, just have it as is. I'll be happy.

EDIT: I forgot, I'd love Studiopolis from Sonic Mania, too!

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Here's some more E3 info to uselessly overanalyze and speculate about.

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/05/06/e3-2018-floor-maps-revealed-nintendo-sony-epic-games/#2

The West Hall looks to be dominated by two companies this year -- Nintendo of America and Sony Interactive Entertainment. That means huge presence for both the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4/4 Pro, respectively. Both companies will have some huge titles to offer; and Nintendo will likely have a tremendously-sized set-up for Super Smash Bros., which will arrive on Nintendo Switch this year.

Keep in mind that the Smash tournament will be held at a completely different venue than E3, the Belasco theater. That means that the large theater at E3 will be used for something else, probably just the video presentations.

It's about the same booths they have every year, with a large booth which will probably be a Smash demo.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
As long as they don't bring back the 2 min limit, or make arrangement of arrangement or the same songs, I'm good.
There's a bunch of songs that I want, but in particular: Lighting Battle from Kid Icarus Uprising, Dreams of Our Generations and Donk-Donk and Remix 10 from Rhythm Heaven. The Keys We've Lost from Xenoblade Chronicles X, Friends from Sonic Mania, Alola Elite Four from PKMN Sun & Moon, and Fly Me To the Moon & Moon River from Bayonetta.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
If we don't get Elma I at the very least want a XCX stage with a truckload of music cause that soundtrack is just way too good to not be used
Having some XCX music play while playing Smash Bro is quite an experience... Black Tar for the win...

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There’s a whole lot of music I want in Smash. I doubt I could narrow it down that much.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There’s a whole lot of music I want in Smash. I doubt I could narrow it down that much.
I know, right?
I mean it would take me a day to list all the music I want.

I bring it up because I think someone said that this information coming out on May7/8 (7th in US, 8th in Japan/Australia) had something to do with a Smash Bros. leak.
Has not happened yet.
I think this leak is just Nintendo Switch information online.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It was a 4chan E3 leak that said Nintendo Switch online plans would happen May 7th. It said that Crash and Spyro were newcomers.

But tbh it doesn't hold any weight. Nintendo said that their plans would be early May and it was Golden Week until after the 6th so May 7th is a very safe guess. Actually I guessed the plans would be announced in that timeframe too.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Lustrous Daybreak? This is what happens when Thesauruses get into the wrong hands!

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I see many people putting 5 tracks they'd like to see, time for me to join in on the fun!

1. Mechawiggler Battle (Mario Odyssey)
Perfect for a New Donk level. Maybe if you're playing at night mechawiggler could be seen on the skyscrapper as an easter egg like KK Slider in Brawls Smashville.

2.Master Kohga (Breath of the Wild)
My favorite boss music from the game, and one of the funniest characters from the game. Shame his demise came too quickly!

3. Friend Train (Star Allies)
I may have found SA to be a little bland, but this theme is still kick ass!

4.Cannon Canyon (Tropical Freeze)
There is so much potential for a Tropical Freeze level, and I'm really hoping they break the jungle level trend and do a level based around the Savannah world. One of the most graphically and musically stunning locals of the whole series if you ask me!

5. Love Deterrence [Instrumental] (Peace Walker)
If Snake comes back, its important to remember the 3 most recent games (PW, GZ, TPP) all revolve around his 'father' Big Boss. I don't think Big Boss would replace Solid, but a BB costume and a Mother Base stage would be very fun. The music I chose also represents the more wacky side of MGS, as the final boss is a spanish double agent that stole Snake's metal gear and is trying to go nuclear while jpop anime intro music about said double agent being in love with Snake is playing in the background. Yeah, it gets weird and I love it.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
If Gardevoir gets in and doesn't have a shiny alt I'll be disapointed. The shiny is a perfect blue alt!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
None of these 3 would surprise me. I've been wanting Toad for a while, and at least Sakurai considered him beforehand. Spyro and Crash would be cool. Not my personal picks, but my most wanted don't seem likely at all(especially a specific one).

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ok here's a good wtf character to represent Mario Golf fully!
Plum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom