• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash 4 did great for me. Little Mac, Bowser Jr. and Mega Man were the definitive. I didn't realize how much I wanted Mac and Jr. until they were playable.
Wanted: Rosalina, Luma, Greninja, Mega Man
Didn't know wanted: All the other newcomers, really

Metablaze

Smash Rookie
Topic: To the people predicting the Smash roster, out of all newcomers, who is one of the hardest newcomers to remove for you, in the scenario their chances get ****ed? Mine would be Sora, Isabelle, and Tom Nook, I just cannot let them go in my predictions with how many things line-up for their inclusion.
I'm hoping Wolf and Bandana Dee still get in, even though Wolf isn't a newcomer but a veteran.
Wolf isn't a complete clone because some of his moves are unique to him apart from Fox and Falco like his up special Fire Wolf and side special Wolf Flash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If anyone can do it, Sakurai can. Look at Pac-Man.
Oh, I don't doubt from his ability to create movesets from seemingly nowhere. I'm just saying it can't be easy doing the same thing for two characters from the same game, unless they are each others' clones. Which, in Villager's case, can create some problems for Isabelle. Like can she use the Pocket? Or would it be hard to balance two characters with very bizarre mechanics like Timber or slingshot.

It's not impossible or even intimidatingly hard, though.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Oh, I don't doubt from his ability to create movesets from seemingly nowhere. I'm just saying it can't be easy doing the same thing for two characters from the same game, unless they are each others' clones. Which, in Villager's case, can create some problems for Isabelle. Like can she use the Pocket? Or would it be hard to balance two characters with very bizarre mechanics like Timber or slingshot.

It's not impossible or even intimidatingly hard, though.
Yeah, I see what you're getting at. Inside of Pocket, maybe she could pull out items from the series. Knickknacks, furniture, and things like that. An anti-pocket of sorts. Every now and then see pulls out fruit/food and eats it to heal herself. Maybe that could be a custom variation of the move though instead.

I've always said her Down-B should be "Public Works", where she slams a Lloid down and then have her Down-B become her "donating" (throwing) bells, that have a little bounce to them (just one then half bounce. Similar to how bells fall from trees.) If she charges it, it's a bag of Bells. The more coins she can successfully give to Lloid, the bigger and more damaging/knockback of the arising Public Works will be.

Just an idea though. I love Isabelle, and I know she's popular, so I hope she'll make it in.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah, I see what you're getting at. Inside of Pocket, maybe she could pull out items from the series. Knickknacks, furniture, and things like that. An anti-pocket of sorts. Every now and then see pulls out fruit/food and eats it to heal herself. Maybe that could be a custom variation of the move though instead.

I've always said her Down-B should be "Public Works", where she slams a Lloid down and then have her Down-B become her "donating" (throwing) bells, that have a little bounce to them (just one then half bounce. Similar to how bells fall from trees.) If she charges it, it's a bag of Bells. The more coins she can successfully give to Lloid, the bigger and more damaging/knockback of the arising Public Works will be.

Just an idea though. I love Isabelle, and I know she's popular, so I hope she'll make it in.
I love the public works concept people have thrown around and I really like your version of the idea! It's a sort of redux of Villager's Timber. The bells could act like the ax where they do damage if used next to an opponent. Lloid would sit there for an amount of time, (10 seconds? I'm not good at figuring this stuff out) and the project could range from a bench to a clock tower depending on how many bells she put it, and thus would change the range and power of the attack. Sounds very cool!

I also like the idea that her assist trophy ability should be her standard special. Summon fruit that both she and allies can use, as well as enemies if she isn't careful. Seems balanced to me.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I love the public works concept people have thrown around and I really like your version of the idea! It's a sort of redux of Villager's Timber. The bells could act like the ax where they do damage if used next to an opponent. Lloid would sit there for an amount of time, (10 seconds? I'm not good at figuring this stuff out) and the project could range from a bench to a clock tower depending on how many bells she put it, and thus would change the range and power of the attack. Sounds very cool!

I also like the idea that her assist trophy ability should be her standard special. Summon fruit that both she and allies can use, as well as enemies if she isn't careful. Seems balanced to me.
Oh, I've been developing a moveset for Isabelle for quite some time now. She's my most wanted newcomer. Thanks!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People keep bringing up that the ballot will be used as a basis for the roster, but for me I'm honestly expecting the ballot to be much more downplayed than people expect. Mainly because of several factors.
  • There have been several key titles released long after the announcement of the ballot like ARMS, Pokemon Sun & Moon, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc. It's a very real possibility that there's going to be several characters based on more recent games that for obvious reasons were not around during the ballot.
  • There are several characters that we know were considered during the development of the last games, like Takamaru and possibly the Chorus Kids if the Gematsu leak was accurate. It's a real possibility that they might be reconsidered again.
  • Third parties. I speculate that third parties for obvious reasons took up the bulk of the votes, but the issue with third parties in general is that they are heavily dependent on the cooperation of multiple parties. Meaning that no matter how many votes a particular character gets, it largely depends on whether or not the rights can be obtained in the first place. This is likely why Bayonetta in particular was deemed "realizable", due to the convenience of Nintendo having the rights to Bayonetta 2 specifically.
  • Of course, there's also the subjective criteria of whether or not the character can be fun and unique. If the majority of the votes are seen as uninspiring or technically impossible for whatever reason, then they'll simply be ignored or at least acknowledged via cameos like with the Mii Fighter costumes. Hell I would not be surprised if some of those costumes were designed as condolence prizes.
Again, the thing people have to remember is that the ballot was more of a suggestion box instead of an actual ballot. Meaning that you were basically requesting a character to possibly be in Smash. It was even flat out warned right from the beginning that not every character would be possible. Plus we don't even know all the details about the ballot and likely never will. We flat out know nothing about the Japan side of the ballot for starts.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So today is the last day of Golden Week so it's back to work for Japan. That said though the deadline for that Spyro and Crash leak is tomorrow(it said that Nintendo's Online Plans is suppose to be revealed May 7th).

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'm probably not the first one to say it, but if we look at just the assist trophies, there are many good choices.

-Takamaru
-Isabelle
-Lyn
-Skull Kid
-Midna
-Waluigi
-Dillon
-Ashley
-Dark Samus
-Isaac

You guys think there's a chance to have more than one character being promoted from assist to playable?

The problem I have with Dixie Kong is that she was not added before, like Ridley and Waluigi. So I'm not certain she'll be considered for this game again.
Obviously I'm not Sakurai so what do I know?
-Takamaru: The only thing that Sakurai said got him cut in production for Smash 4 was the West's unfamiliarity with him. Now that his game had a global release on the 3ds eShop (and could maybe come to Switch with Virtual Console) he seems quite likely.

-Isabelle: Probably the most marketed and popular Animal Crossing character. The only thing holding her back would be a lack of creativity from Sakurai for her moveset, which is very unlikely.

-Lyn: IMO, one of the most likely newcomers overall. Extreme amounts of popularity and relevance that has been refueled through being in the recent FE Warriors and promotion in FE Heroes. The only reason she wouldn't make it in is if the FE Switch lord takes a (possibly) singular FE slot, but Intelligent Systems/Nintendo/Sakurai would be fools to not add Lyn this time around with her empirical popularity of a character in a franchise based in characters.

-Skull Kid: I've warmed up to this guy recently but like other Zelda one-shots he's already missed the chance at Smash numerous times. Sakurai could throw us a curveball and add the first non-triforce character in 17 years in Smash Switch but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to add a BOTW character? I see lots of people sell the champions short, but the timing, relevance, popularity, and moveset potential are all there. Skull-Kid could overtake them with ballot results but it's still unlikely.

-Midna: Same thing with Skull Kid except for me liking them. Some relevance from HW could help these guys out but they are basically hinging the unreliable ballot results at this point.

-Waluigi: I don't care if he'd be a "joke" character. It would be an insult to literally everything not in Smash for this guy to make it in. IMO, most of his popularity seems to stem from people scrounging for a Mario rep. While in general, I can't think much of a great Mario newcomer off of the top of my head, I could still name numerous character who would be miles better than the "WAH!". Also, he seems to be the assist trophy rep for Sakurai. In the Smash 4 Direct Sakurai held a plush of him when he showed off the new and returning assist trophy characters, and he stated that "Just because you try doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle" when he revealed him as an assist trophy.

-Dillon: Has the moveset potential and relevance, but really? A 3ds eshop title that was just ok? I think his series should see a bit more growth and success before making it into Smash, it's not like it can ride on veterans and cult popularity as a game that didn't do that well Mother series cough cough.

-Ashley: A very popular Japan pick and she'd fit right into the current Warioware representation. Can't say much myself about moveset potential but I'm sure Sakurai can make it happen, we could use a few more magic users. I don't know about her relevance though, does that upcoming Warioware game include her?

-Dark Samus: I've seen moveset potential from her assist trophy alone, and she could have some rekindled relevance through the upcoming Prime 4. However, I feel that Samus and Zero Suit Samus fit the Metroid representation well in terms of characters since they are essentially one character isolated from many others.

-Isaac: No relevance and a character from a dead franchise who had much better chances in recent installments. He was actually demoted from assist trophy status in Smash 4, why would he make the jump to a playable character in this installment? Only a massive amount of ballot potential and Sakurai scrounging for a newcomer could save him now, both of which are extremely unlikely.

Overall, I feel like Lyn and Takamaru have the highest chances of being promoted. Everyone else either would have made much more sense in recent installments or just don't make the cut of being a newcomer in general. While the Zelda characters hold on to some recent relevancy and lasting popularity, I still think they are very unlikely due to the nature of the Zelda franchise in Smash.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I find Crash/Spyro unlikely because Sak probably found out they were coming to the Switch when we did.

DLC, maybe.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I find Crash/Spyro unlikely because Sak probably found out they were coming to the Switch when we did.

DLC, maybe.
I doubt Crash's chance would be hurt by the fact N.Sane Trilogy is only coming to a Nintendo console in 2018 since he already had a history on Nintendo consoles (not that it was a requirement for a third-party character). If anything, the thing that would hurt him the most is that, if development for Smash Switch started in early 2016, his franchise was still at the time one with an uncertain future (especially as it was "dead" for years).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually was disappointed with the newcomers in Wii U/3DS.
Same here. Been pretty vocal about it. Literally got nothing that I asked for in all honesty. Except for Mewtwo, but he isn't even a newcomer. Outside of that, was mostly glad that Roy and Lucas returned, Corrin, Lucina, Robin and Greninja all grew on my greatly after playing their source games. Little Mac and Palutena where very expected by just about everyone, and I thought Rosalina and Bowser Jr. where great ideas for newcomers that turned out better than I ever expected from them. Outside of that? I literally got everything I was strongly against.

Surprises as Duck Hunt was great for me however. I sometimes play with him for fun as well. Shulk I was neutral for, never played Xenoblade. But am willing to. Wii Fit Trainer was a fun surprise but I literally don't care about her at all.

Mii Fighters for example.. Hated that idea from the beginning. Never thought they would actually happen either. Which is pretty badly thought out, retrospectively.
Mega Man and Pac Man I also didn't want, but I did consider them being likely. I was far more against 3rd party additions back then as well. Ryu grew greatly on me however.
Villager? Didn't like the idea either, was convinced he was shot down.. But he grew on me even though I still don't think he's fighter material.
Cloud? Was actually mad and salty when he got announced as DLC. I was 1000% convinced he wouldn't happen. And now he's in, I want him out. They deliberately made Ike slower than in his source games and didn't give him a projectile cause that would make him "overpowered", but apperantly, that doesn't matter if your name is Cloud. Still think he's a bad decision, but I guess he's popular.
Bayonetta? I was salty when we got her, kinda got used to her presence now... But still dislike how unbalanced she is.

Don't wanna complain (anymore) though.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If Lyn gets in, does she get to use bows or is she like every other lord that never touches their post promotion weapons?

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I think I just wanted Mewtwo back for Smash 4. I don't really think I had any expectations other than that. I just loved Smash and was excited to see what they would do for the new one.

Ultimately, fell in love with Palutena, Roy, Corrin, Mega Man and Villager despite never even playing their games at the time. Pac-man was wierd but cool and Wii Fit just felt so satifying to see. Duck Hunt I thought was lame until I learned the history of the character which made him feel worthy to me.

Now that I'm older I actually have expectations for Smash that were never there before, which I guess probably isn't a good thing. :urg:

I think a year after release the salt will die down and everyone, with some outliers of course, will learn to love Smash Switch's roster. unless decidueye gets in

UserKev

Smash Champion
The ballot discussion is frustrating. It was a joke and a cover up for third party add on to begin with.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Lyn gets in, does she get to use bows or is she like every other lord that never touches their post promotion weapons?
I think it'll be the Mani Katti, she used it in Warriors to if I recall correct. Not sure what sword she uses in Smash, I think it's the Mani Katti too actually.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The ballot discussion is frustrating. It was a joke and a cover up for third party add on to begin with.
I wouldn't go that far.

However, I won't lie. I'm still a little skeptical of Bayo's performance in the ballot. Seems fishy as heck that the incredibly niche third-party character who Nintendo recently acquired the rights to make a Wii U exclusive game for somehow performed better worldwide than characters like K. Rool, Inklings, and Bandana Dee. That just doesn't seem right.

But I don't really have any evidence to support my theory, so I guess I can't take anything away from Bayo's win, regardless of how suspicious I think it is.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would bet money on Elma being playable. I don't even like Xenoblade. But it makes a lot of sense.

I highly suspect that a lot of the characters will be pulled from the Wii U and 3DS generation.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I feel like she'd have to use a bow to differentiate her from other swordfighters, even though the quick katana moveset with the Sol Katti would be a lot. Also, Lyn is much more associated with a bow now due to it being the weapon she uses in her Brave appearance in Heroes. She (with Ike, Lucina, and Roy) basically got another character in Heroes when they won the CYL ballot. Brave/CYL Lyn with a bow is still considered one of the best units in the game.
I think it'll be the Mani Katti, she used it in Warriors to if I recall correct. Not sure what sword she uses in Smash, I think it's the Mani Katti too actually.
The Mani Katti is the prf weapon she gets in her part of FE7. She gets the Sol Katti, the sword she uses in Warriors, at the end of FE7.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I would bet money on Elma being playable. I don't even like Xenoblade. But it makes a lot of sense.

I highly suspect that a lot of the characters will be pulled from the Wii U and 3DS generation.
Elma is possible, but I think Rex & Pyra are more likely at this point.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

That sounds reasonable. The newcomer roster for each Smash game has always been largely influenced from the previous generation. Possible choices include Dixie, Captain Toad, Paper Mario and so on. I think there is also a definite possibility that development started somewhere around March-April 2016 and as we all know, what's recent around the time development starts has an impact on Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I wouldn't go that far.

However, I won't lie. I'm still a little skeptical of Bayo's performance in the ballot. Seems fishy as heck that the incredibly niche third-party character who Nintendo recently acquired the rights to make a Wii U exclusive game for somehow performed better worldwide than characters like K. Rool, Inklings, and Bandana Dee. That just doesn't seem right.

But I don't really have any evidence to support my theory, so I guess I can't take anything away from Bayo's win, regardless of how suspicious I think it is.
Both Bayo and Cloud shouldn't have made it. Cloud was basically, a cater method to the crowd.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Both Bayo and Cloud shouldn't have made it. Cloud was basically, a cater method to the crowd.
You mean to tell me a character that Nintendo is considering one of their own? And judging from the meeting recently is proud of her sales and how she's doing since they've invested in her.

And literally the face of modern JRPGs.

Should not be in Smash? Because they for whatever reason seem to hurt you?

You want to shut out a character who is essentially Nintendo's now and an IP that they seem proud of?

And the most famous face of the most popular RPG franchise in the world?

Yikes.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Bayonetta was voted in, so apparently people wanted her bad enough, and Cloud is Mr. JRPG, and the most logical pick to represent Final Fantasy. Their inclusions aren't that hard to have to justify really, and I think they'll be back again this time around. Bayonetta essentially won a popularity contest, and Cloud represents a diehard franchise of the gaming world. Cloud was also received pretty well by Smash players, both casual and competitive.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Bayonetta was used most recently by Nintendo.

Some of the more popular choices? Not so much. Some hadn't been used in 10 years and were out of the public eye.

Some were trophies in the game already? And thus Sakurai probably didn't want to promote an assist trophy.

Some Sakurai had outright shut down in the prior speculation period and people had given up.

Some had just had their game come out by DLC end and while overwhelmingly popular? Sakurai had no time to consider them because I doubt he had time to sit down and actually study Splatoon and the likes.

A lot of people voted indies as well. And we have no clue how Sakurai feels about indies in Smash Brothers yet.

And to prove the fact that Nintendo most assuredly did not lie about Bayonetta's success in the ballot? She was number 1 in Europe.

Her games have always sold tremendously well there and again that meeting a few weeks ago proves that.

Ya'll really need to drop this whole conspiracy theory about Bayo. You look like children who didn't get your way at the toy store but your cousin did and now you're really pissed off that they got a shiny new action figure but you didn't.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Interesting discovery to note about Sora's character rights from RogersBase:

Roger used to do licensing and contract work with Disney and said this:

-Square Enix owns the designs of Sora and Riku, and Disney owns the rights to the characters of the KH cast.
-But Disney has to approve of any new designs that Sora, Riku, and other KH characters that Tetsuya and other Square members make.

His reasonings for Sora having less of a chance than Goku or Luffy are pretty flat though and can be easily argued with the stuff I mentioned in my analysis, but now I have further clarification on what goes on with Sora licensing matters. I trust RogersBase on this, he is a good dude that would not lie about this stuff.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Interesting discovery to note about Sora's character rights from RogersBase:

Roger used to do licensing and contract work with Disney and said this:

-Square Enix owns the designs of Sora and Riku, and Disney owns the rights to the characters of the KH cast.
-But Disney has to approve of any new designs that Sora, Riku, and other KH characters that Tetsuya and other Square members make.

His reasonings for Sora having less of a chance than Goku or Luffy are pretty flat though and can be easily argued with the stuff I mentioned in my analysis, but now I have further clarification on what goes on with Sora licensing matters. I trust RogersBase on this, he is a good dude that would not lie about this stuff.
So...for Sora to get in we'd have to have the okay from Square and Disney, yeah?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
And for Reptilians to discover Flat Earth through the fake NASA moon landing via tunnels in Antarctica which actually leads to a Hollow Earth ran by the Illuminati

Sorry, I just couldn’t help it. Whenever I read “a cover up”; i just think about whacky conspiracy theories.

Anyways, I was totally cool with a cloud and Bayonetta despite disagreeing with their additions prior to their inclusion. Seeing is believing, I guess.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I remember after the ERSB leak and we got the final smash 4 roster, I looked it up and down and thought- is that it? It was hard to be excited after all the hype and expectations. Plus I was a die-hard supporter for Ridley (which I still am but I’ve made my peace with him not being in it) and was frustrated the main character I wanted was snubbed again. I recently reread a post I made on this site at the time and my comments about dark pit were, well you can imagine.
Now, almost four years on, the roster I saw is the smash roster. Like it or loathe it there’s no alternative and I’ve grown to love it. The same happened with brawl and no doubt the same will happen again with switch.
It’s fun to theorise and make suggestions but once the game is out, that’s the roster we get. There’s no version you can buy with the characters you feel are undeserving are cut and replaced with who you want.
Just a word of warning to those a little younger than myself. Frustration is part of the game being a roster predictor but we all end up with the same baby we grow to cherish!

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I'm just saying that older niche characters typically only appeal to hardcore Smash fans. Newer characters have the advantage of being recognized by both hardcores and casuals.

I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a person who has never played Smash before. To an extent, I do believe Sakurai should take into consideration relevancy when he's adding newcomers, and the ballot doesn't do the best job at that. Even though characters like Issac and Geno would be insane for us, not many people are going to know who they are, and that probably wouldn't interest them. However, they might recognize the weird squid people from that new game where you shoot ink at each other, or the funny man with the long springy arms. Even if characters like these aren't crazy popular in the Smash community like K. Rool or Ridley, their relevance makes them more likely to be recognized. That's what I believe Sakurai's goal should be; to pick out the characters that would appeal to the most people.

Now I'm not saying that older popular characters can't be in the game, but I definitely think popularity by itself shouldn't be the focus for newcomers. The ballot only focuses on popularity, and I stand by my claim that a roster composed of only those characters would be pretty underwhelming.
I think there are a few problems with this thought process. First off if they have never played smash before shouldn't the characters on the box ie Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu be the characters that are going to draw you in? I mean Nintendo doesn't even use 4/5ths for their proportionals. They still just use their big "faces". Sure in terms or promotion, other big additions like The inklings and villager make sense because they're recognized by several millions but really everyone else is fluff for game play they aren't that big.

The next problem is that the characters that had games that worked last gen are the ones that got character additions in Smash 4 which means you're going to be looking at a bunch of series being neglected again and getting the second best/"meh new series additions".

The above two thoughts are legitimate concerns I would have as a game director. The final problem I see which I think is more of my thought process. Straight up, games on the Wii U didn't sell, If they couldn't sell a system why would they be able to sell my game? Like you said "Sakurai's goal should be; to pick out the characters that would appeal to the most people" but I believe he would have a better chance doing that with the ballot.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just wondering and curious: does anyone still think we’ll get s Nintendo Direct, let alone one for Smash Switch sometime this month?

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I dunno. Timing-wise, Elma is in a more favorable position than Rex & Pyra.
Possibly, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 started development late into 2014. It was in development for a long time, and Rex & Pyra, may get the Greninja treatment, and Sakurai/Smash Development team may have had prior knowledge of them, and how they'd function.

UserKev

Smash Champion
You mean to tell me a character that Nintendo is considering one of their own? And judging from the meeting recently is proud of her sales and how she's doing since they've invested in her.

And the literally face of modern JRPGs.

Should not be in Smash? Because they for whatever reason seem to hurt you?

You want to shut out a character who is essentially Nintendo's now and an IP that they seem proud of?

And the most famous face of the most popular RPG franchise in the world?

Yikes.
Man when I remembered your avatar, I immediately knew I was in for this type of response. Bayonetta was inevitably forced into the game. Smash 4 wasn't her time. She should have been saved as a newcomer for Smash Switch. I can't believe you missed this.

I mean, you might as well should have had Bayo on the starter roster other than through DLC. Now when I see Bayonetta in Smash, I will always see her as that character that debuted in Smash through DLC.
Bayonetta was voted in, so apparently people wanted her bad enough, and Cloud is Mr. JRPG, and the most logical pick to represent Final Fantasy. Their inclusions aren't that hard to have to justify really, and I think they'll be back again this time around. Bayonetta essentially won a popularity contest, and Cloud represents a diehard franchise of the gaming world. Cloud was also received pretty well by Smash players, both casual and competitive.
I hear you.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm guessing it's all going to be left for e3.
I figured, since this year’s E3 Direct will mainly focus on Smash. But that is also a reason why I asked, to see if anyone thought otherwise. That’s not a bad thing, right?

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Possibly, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 started development late into 2014. It was in development for a long time, and Rex & Pyra, may get the Greninja treatment, and Sakurai/Smash Development team may have had prior knowledge of them, and how they'd function.
Yeah, but WHY would they? Xenoblade isnt released every year like pokemon is, nor is it anywhere near as prominent. There'd be no reason to look to the future and grab a character thats likely not even set in stone at the time.

We say "yeah sakurai could have asked about it" but thats just to fit the narrative we'd need to consider their chances. It doesnt mean that the situation likely happened.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but WHY would they? Xenoblade isnt released every year like pokemon is, nor is it anywhere near as prominent. There'd be no reason to look to the future and grab a character thats likely not even set in stone at the time.

We say "yeah sakurai could have asked about it" but thats just to fit the narrative we'd need to consider their chances. It doesnt mean that the situation likely happened.
I dont know man, he did it for Roy, Lucas, and Greninja. It seems that Sakurai believes games with a rotating cast should have current characters

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I dont know man, he did it for Roy, Lucas, and Greninja. It seems that Sakurai believes games with a rotating cast should have current characters
Roy was a last minute clone tho and lucas ultimately wasn't added to melee, do we even know if lucas replacing ness was a set in stone thing that would've definitely happened had mother 3 actually come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom