• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I wonder how well Skull Kid did in the ballot.
We would have so much more to speculate on if they only released the ballot results DX

I'm almost convinced at this point they didn't, so that they could keep it a surprise who the top...3 or so are, and reveal them as newcomers.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be honest, even after Bayonetta, fans being directly involved in character selection process sounds very weird.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We would have so much more to speculate on if they only released the ballot results DX

I'm almost convinced at this point they didn't, so that they could keep it a surprise who the top...3 or so are, and reveal them as newcomers.
Ideally, a large portion of the newcomers we get for this game are directly influenced from the ballot.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
To be honest, even after Bayonetta, fans being directly involved in character selection process sounds very weird.
I think that's why I wouldn't expect more than around 3 (assuming we get around 12 newcomers, so roughly a 4th). I'm also wary that a character such as Issac can get in based on just the ballot...I'm thinking Sakurai will look at the top ballot picks for inspiration but not put a character in just because of that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ideally, a large portion of the newcomers we get for this game are directly influenced from the ballot.
But that would result in a lot of old characters or side characters... Granted, not that too many other options are left.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
Part of me doesn't want this because I know the ballot votes are going to be scewed. A lot of people thought the ballot would determine DLC characters so people gave up on voting for some favorites like Ridley and Skull kid because they didn't see them actually having a chance at getting into the game.

I want fan favorites but I don't know if the ballot actually shows that. Sakurai is a smart guy though I'm sure he knows this.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm actually hoping the number of ballot characters is limited. Not only does the ballot completely rule out newer characters, but it would also give us a pretty bizarre (and in my opinion, underwhelming) cast of newcomers. Expect lots of old niche characters that non-Nintendo fans wouldn't know about, veterans, and a truckload of third-parties and indies.

While I do like getting popular characters, I also like getting surprise characters that not many people would've expected. I think the ballot takes away from that.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I'm actually hoping the number of ballot characters is limited. Not only does the ballot completely rule out newer characters, but it would also give us a pretty bizarre (and in my opinion, underwhelming) cast of newcomers. Expect lots of old niche characters that non-Nintendo fans wouldn't know about, veterans, and a truckload of third-parties and indies.

While I do like getting popular characters, I also like getting surprise characters that not many people would've expected. I think the ballot takes away from that.
I agree. I think many people are taking the idea that the ballot will have a huge influence on the roster and running with it. I think, at most, we can expect maybe 2 newcomers from the ballot.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

As opposed to new niche characters that non-Nintendo fans wouldn't know about that are somehow better because
"Muh Recency!"?

Besides, 90% of newcomer characters are going to be somewhat unexpected anyways so curveballs are happening. This is especially true if the ballot has a huge influence (since we don't know who else other than Bayonetta did well in it).

But that would result in a lot of old characters or side characters... Granted, not that too many other options are left.
That doesn't sound that bad to me, to be honest. I mean it's not as if there has been any new Inkling-tier Nintendo character this generation so looking back for newcomers wouldn't lead to any major omissions.

Part of me doesn't want this because I know the ballot votes are going to be scewed. A lot of people thought the ballot would determine DLC characters so people gave up on voting for some favorites like Ridley and Skull kid because they didn't see them actually having a chance at getting into the game.

I want fan favorites but I don't know if the ballot actually shows that. Sakurai is a smart guy though I'm sure he knows this.
Now this is a legitimate argument and I can legitimately see where you're coming from. As much as the ballot was about who you wanted and not just expected or thought had a chance, expectations were still going to inevitably affect who people voted for. If there is a character you would have otherwise really wanted but you didn't see them as viable, you'd probably think a vote for them is wasted.

I agree. I think many people are taking the idea that the ballot will have a huge influence on the roster and running with it. I think, at most, we can expect maybe 2 newcomers from the ballot.
It's not really so much people are expecting it as much as wanting it to.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
It's not really so much people are expecting it as much as wanting it to.
I understand that, but I think it's just a breeding grounds for disappointment. As Cosmic77 was saying, if the majority of newcomers are secondary characters and odd picks, it makes for a disappointing and underwhelming roster. I hope that's not the case for what's going to be THE Smash iteration for the Switch.

The more I think about it, the more I believe we'll get a smaller amount of newcomers than in previous iterations, and then as the Switch lifecycle continues, we'll get more characters from DLC.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As opposed to new niche characters that non-Nintendo fans wouldn't know about that are somehow better because
"Muh Recency!"?

Besides, 90% of newcomer characters are going to be somewhat unexpected anyways so curveballs are happening. This is especially true if the ballot has a huge influence (since we don't know who else other than Bayonetta did well in it).
I'm just saying that older niche characters typically only appeal to hardcore Smash fans. Newer characters have the advantage of being recognized by both hardcores and casuals.

I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a person who has never played Smash before. To an extent, I do believe Sakurai should take into consideration relevancy when he's adding newcomers, and the ballot doesn't do the best job at that. Even though characters like Issac and Geno would be insane for us, not many people are going to know who they are, and that probably wouldn't interest them. However, they might recognize the weird squid people from that new game where you shoot ink at each other, or the funny man with the long springy arms. Even if characters like these aren't crazy popular in the Smash community like K. Rool or Ridley, their relevance makes them more likely to be recognized. That's what I believe Sakurai's goal should be; to pick out the characters that would appeal to the most people.

Now I'm not saying that older popular characters can't be in the game, but I definitely think popularity by itself shouldn't be the focus for newcomers. The ballot only focuses on popularity, and I stand by my claim that a roster composed of only those characters would be pretty underwhelming.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm just saying that older niche characters typically only appeal to hardcore Smash fans. Newer characters have the advantage of being recognized by both hardcores and casuals.

I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a person who has never played Smash before. To an extent, I do believe Sakurai should take into consideration relevancy when he's adding newcomers, and the ballot doesn't do the best job at that. Even though characters like Issac and Geno would be insane for us, not many people are going to know who they are, and that probably wouldn't interest them. However, they might recognize the weird squid people from that new game where you shoot ink at each other, or the funny man with the long springy arms. Even if characters like these aren't crazy popular in the Smash community like K. Rool or Ridley, their relevance makes them more likely to be recognized. That's what I believe Sakurai's goal should be; to pick out the characters that would appeal to the most people.

Now I'm not saying that older popular characters can't be in the game, but I definitely think popularity by itself shouldn't be the focus for newcomers. The ballot only focuses on popularity, and I stand by my claim that a roster composed of only those characters would be pretty underwhelming.
I agree. I was less familiar with Smash For's newcomers in general, but it did introduce me to Kid Icarus Uprising, Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, games with living and active fandoms. That's definitely a plus.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

That's something I try to keep in mind too. It's not all about who WE want, it's all about how EVERYONE can recognize characters, and enjoy the game.

It's something I have to keep in mind myself sometimes when I have disparaging feelings towards a certain character's inclusion. It's a hard thing to recognize.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
What if the games' title is 'Super Smash Bros. Ballot' and it revolves around adding popular suggestions from said ballot?

osby

Smash Obsessed
What if the games' title is 'Super Smash Bros. Ballot' and it revolves around adding popular suggestions from said ballot?
It'd pretty much only way to make sure I'm not buying the game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Topic: To the people predicting the Smash roster, out of all newcomers, who is one of the hardest newcomers to remove for you, in the scenario their chances get ****ed? Mine would be Sora, Isabelle, and Tom Nook, I just cannot let them go in my predictions with how many things line-up for their inclusion.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm just saying that older niche characters typically only appeal to hardcore Smash fans. Newer characters have the advantage of being recognized by both hardcores and casuals
Ah, the "casual" fallacy. You are absolutely wrong if you honestly believe the grand majority of the 1.8 million votes came from "hardcore" Smash fans like people here. Any character that does extremely well in a ballot with close to 2 million votes would not be nearly as niche as you think.

However, they might recognize the weird squid people from that new game where you shoot ink at each other, or the funny man with the long springy arms. Even if characters like these aren't crazy popular in the Smash community like K. Rool or Ridley, their relevance makes them more likely to be recognized. That's what I believe Sakurai's goal should be; to pick out the characters that would appeal to the most people.
The biggest fallacy you have committed here is assuming that recognising a character and liking the character are one and the same, particularly with the worst example you could use for a "casual" appeal character. ARMS may be huge, but Spring Man himself is nowhere near as popular as you think he is. In terms of actual popularity he gets absolutely overshadowed by several characters within his own home franchise. And yet I'm supposed to believe a character with questionable popularity even within his own franchise is going to appeal to the "silent majority" more than a character like Ridley who even Sakurai has confirmed to be a much anticipated name among the "silent majority"?

Recognisability and having appeal are not one and the same. There's plenty of well-known characters throughout fiction that lack popularity.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Topic: To the people predicting the Smash roster, out of all newcomers, who is one of the hardest newcomers to remove for you, in the scenario their chances get ****ed? Mine would be Sora, Isabelle, and Tom Nook, I just cannot let them go in my predictions with how many things line-up for their inclusion.
I mean, if things come up that guarantee they're not playable, there's no reason to keep predicting them.

It didn't work out so well for Ridley fans last time.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
For me I'd say Dixie Kong, Isabelle and Bandana Dee, in my mind those choices just make too much sense and they have too many things going for them that if they're not included I'll be genuinely shocked

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
For me, it's Isabelle, and Mimikyu. It just makes so much sense for them to be newcomers.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dixie Kong, Geno, Lyn, Paper Mario, Krystal. I'd like to see them in Brawl but now I don't think their chances are high. But I still like to think them in the roster.

Also Isaac and Chibi-Robo.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
For me I'd say Dixie Kong, Isabelle and Bandana Dee, in my mind those choices just make too much sense and they have too many things going for them that if they're not included I'll be genuinely shocked
Literally the same ones for me. A lot of my "prediction rosters" are "new Mario Rep" "new gen 7 Pokemon" etc, but those three I am almost certain about. Would be shocked if they weren't included.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong, Geno, Lyn, Paper Mario, Krystal. I'd like to see them in Brawl but now I don't think their chances are high. But I still like to think them in the roster.

Also Isaac and Chibi-Robo.
I wouldn't give up hope on Paper Mario and Dixie Kong just yet.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I understand that, but I think it's just a breeding grounds for disappointment. As Cosmic77 was saying, if the majority of newcomers are secondary characters and odd picks, it makes for a disappointing and underwhelming roster.
No matter what the roster for Switch is, people will still initially think it's disappointing and underwhelming. It always happens.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
No matter what the roster for Switch is, people will still initially think it's disappointing and underwhelming. It always happens.
I haven't been overall displeased or disappointed with the roster in any iteration of the game. Saddened by a cut or two, or an exclusion altogether, yeah, but not disappointed with the ENTIRE roster.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I haven't been overall displeased or disappointed with the roster in any iteration of the game. Saddened by a cut or two, or an exclusion altogether, yeah, but not disappointed with the ENTIRE roster.
There were a lot of people who were calling last game's newcomers trash. They weren't majority, but there were quite a few places they were pretty vocal about it.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
There were a lot of people who were calling last game's newcomers trash. They weren't majority, but there were quite a few places they were pretty vocal about it.
I actually was disappointed with the newcomers in Wii U/3DS.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
With any newcomer reveal you'll have people who are against the characters inclusion, but anytime I saw the reception of a newcomer's reveal, people were excited or nonchalant about their inclusion. Yeah, I saw the "Why is Wii Fit Trainer in the game?" and "Really? Cloud has nothing to do with Nintendo." and let's not forgot, "ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTER?!"

I'm not saying that there won't be disappointed fans with whatever the roster is, but in general, I feel the disappointment stems for either a cut or a lack of inclusion of a wanted character, and not the roster as a whole.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
People who hate the roster are usually just mad their choices didn’t make it in.
Smash 4 had a large amount of newcomers I wanted and I loved it.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Nah, there's no proof nor implication that this would be the case. We don't know any scores for any specific characters on the ballot. We only know that Bayonetta was the highest among realizable choices in certain regions.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm probably not the first one to say it, but if we look at just the assist trophies, there are many good choices.

-Takamaru
-Isabelle
-Lyn
-Skull Kid
-Midna
-Waluigi
-Dillon
-Ashley
-Dark Samus
-Isaac

You guys think there's a chance to have more than one character being promoted from assist to playable?

The problem I have with Dixie Kong is that she was not added before, like Ridley and Waluigi. So I'm not certain she'll be considered for this game again.
Obviously I'm not Sakurai so what do I know?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The problem I have with Dixie Kong is that she was not added before, like Ridley and Waluigi. So I'm not certain she'll be considered for this game again.
Obviously I'm not Sakurai so what do I know?
But that was before tropical freeze came out, diddy was prioritised for brawl and she missed the timing for smash 4, now the time is just right for her

osby

Smash Obsessed
-Takamaru
-Isabelle
-Lyn
-Skull Kid
-Midna
-Waluigi
-Dillon
-Ashley
-Dark Samus
-Isaac
Takamaru: Perfectly possible. Depends on how much recognition Sakurai looks for
Isabelle: She's popular but maybe they don't want her to engage in fist fights? Or it might be hard to create a moveset for her now that Villager took a lot of Animal Crossing stuff already. I'd say she's fine as the way she is
Lyn: Really have very little going for her apart from her popularity. I'd like to see her but...
Skull Kid and Midna: I don't want to talk about LoZ for a while
Waluigi: I don't think even Sakurai would add a character for sheer trolling
Dillon: Apart from being the protag of a relatively small game, I don't see a reason against him
Ashley: Again, perfectly possible even if it'd a weird moveset
Dark Samus: I can't see a reason for her joining Samus in playable cast but I'd love it to happen
Isaac: Want. But his time might've been past

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Takamaru: Perfectly possible. Depends on how much recognition Sakurai looks for
Isabelle: She's popular but maybe they don't want her to engage in fist fights? Or it might be hard to create a moveset for her now that Villager took a lot of Animal Crossing stuff already. I'd say she's fine as the way she is
Lyn: Really have very little going for her apart from her popularity. I'd like to see her but...
Skull Kid and Midna: I don't want to talk about LoZ for a while
Waluigi: I don't think even Sakurai would add a character for sheer trolling
Dillon: Apart from being the protag of a relatively small game, I don't see a reason against him
Ashley: Again, perfectly possible even if it'd a weird moveset
Dark Samus: I can't see a reason for her joining Samus in playable cast but I'd love it to happen
Isaac: Want. But his time might've been past
In defense of Isabelle, there's still a lot more Animal Crossing stuff that could be incorporated into making a moveset for her. Unique, semi-clone (ala Lucas or Luigi.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
In defense of Isabelle, there's still a lot more Animal Crossing stuff that could be incorporated into making a moveset for her. Unique, semi-clone (ala Lucas or Luigi.)
Fair enough, though I think Villager is a very unconventional character, so it might be hard to base a character from them.

UserKev

Smash Champion
People who hate the roster are usually just mad their choices didn’t make it in.
Smash 4 had a large amount of newcomers I wanted and I loved it.
Smash 4 did great for me. Little Mac, Bowser Jr. and Mega Man were the definitive. I didn't realize how much I wanted Mac and Jr. until they were playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom