• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I basically want Ganondorf's up tilt, up smash, down smash, neutral air, and up air replaced. Those moves don't fit Ganondorf in my opinion. His other moves are fine I guess.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I remember when the Flying Man and K. Rool Mii costumes came out they were referred to as "classic costumes" (or something along those lines) on the top left of the games menu screen where it would give updates on DLC and stuff.

Does anyone else remember that? I'm trying to find an image or video showing this, but I can't find it.
I think they are in Twitter.
What if they implemented more than one moveset per character this time? Sounds unlikely, but it would be a great way to give Link, Zelda and Ganondorf the much needed rework, while keeping their classic movesets. Many veterans could benefit from it, and it would take the wonky custom moves to the next level. That way reworked clones also keep their old moveset (Dorf, Lucina, Roy, or whoever they deside to rework).
Rex could be the poster boy for this, having a different moveset for different Blades.
They would have to cut like half the roster for that.

It's way too much work.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
A lot of the sounds and voices need an update desperately.

I kind of miss the loud cheering and gasping the audience used to make in Melee and 64. It's become so muffled and infrequent. Maybe Sakurai thought it was distracting? I thought it made the game even more exciting.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't blame Nintendo if they added a Fortnite character considering how big Fortnite has become. Plus all the costumes in the game can lead to interesting alts while the moveset could be very interesting.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The real question we should ask is do we want the points back like in 64 and Melee.

And the answer is Yes.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I wouldn't blame Nintendo if they added a Fortnite character considering how big Fortnite has become. Plus all the costumes in the game can lead to interesting alts while the moveset could be very interesting.
I really don't think Smash should be adding every flash in the pan franchise, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Third-Party.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here, let me blame them for you.

Done.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
I'm still extremely salty about Sonic's victory theme still being the one from THAT horrendous and nearly unplayable mess that we consider to be a video game.
oh yeah, it is the 06 version of the jingle isn't it? they could change it to the Adventure 2 version, that was the first Sonic game on a Nintendo console. or the end-of-level tune from OG Sonic, never hurts to go to the classics. or the one from Forces, or the one from... anything else, really. honestly, why did they go with that one?

Pazzo. Pazzo. hello, and welcome to Super Smash Bros for the Nintendo Switch, where the Final Smashes are made up and the points don't matter! I'm your host, Drew Kirby.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm still extremely salty about Sonic's victory theme still being the one from THAT horrendous and nearly unplayable mess that we consider to be a video game.
I mean, I'm no fan of Sonic 06 either (I still consider it the worst Sonic game after all)... but... it is an orchestral remix of the Sonic 3 victory theme. If we didn't know it originally came from Sonic 06, I doubt there'd be much complaints about it.

Not that I wouldn't mind a new fresh take at a victory theme for Sonic though.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
What Sonic needs in this game is a whole swath of stuff from Mania. Give him the drop-dash, use his theme from the game, give us a Mania stage!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
They would have to cut like half the roster for that.
I"d be okay with that. I even asked at one point if others would be okay with 35ish characters if it meant we got 2 movesets per character because I am so down. Sadly, I don't think it's likely.
The real question we should ask is do we want the points back like in 64 and Melee.

And the answer is Yes.
I'm glad someone said it. And bring back bonuses too.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I’m genuinely curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on Dragon Quest content in this smash. It’s surprising to hear KH and Sora being thrown around far more than DQ to me. Is there a reason almost no one ever brings it up? (Plus it’s a fresh topic compared to most lol)
Slime was being passed around quite a bit during smash 4 days. I think with Cloud getting in smash 4 that has died down a bit, but I think Slime would still be cool.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
While we’re on the topic of “stupid things that should have been fixed last game”, how about the stupid ****ing low-budget monster roars that they kept for Bowser and DK? Like, if you’re going to go through the effort of making them look more cartoony and in-line with their personalities, then how about giving them the voices to go along with it? You know, the voices they actually have in all their actual appearances? Does anyone actually like Bowser sounding like a Godzilla-ass meth addict?

I picked up DK in Smash4 because he’s really, really fun to play, but not a day goes by where I don’t wish that he actually sounded like Donkey Kong, instead of a bootleg King Kong soundboard.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A lot of the sounds and voices need an update desperately.

I kind of miss the loud cheering and gasping the audience used to make in Melee and 64. It's become so muffled and infrequent. Maybe Sakurai thought it was distracting? I thought it made the game even more exciting.
I will always push for English Marth, speaking of voice updates.

If it doesn't happen this time I'm convinced it won't ever happen...and the thought of that saddens me.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Bowser still doesn't closely resemble his SM appearance. Although that silhouette of his does look like canon Bowser appearance.

I agree with the voices. It's not like they are fringe characters, they are Bowser and DK.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

If it doesn't happen this time I'm convinced it won't ever happen...and the thought of that saddens me.
It's not like it even needs to be English Marth over Japanese Marth for voice acting, just allow us to toggle between the two.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nintendo should do a battle royale game, but show these fools that a battle royale isn't just ''OH MY GOD GUNS!"

That's what bugs me about Fortnite and PUBG. A battle royale is literally you use whatever you can get your hands on to destroy the other people that are the problem to your lifeline.

Not a single Battle Royale gets that right. Not a one. They're basically first person shooters with a lot of players and that's it.

Fortnite at least has some character though with it's cartoony style, emotes, and building mechanics.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Toggle voice actors would be a cool idea but due to licensing issue and other potential issues I can see us getting japan alone if they were to do something like this.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Also a strong supporter of cannon Bowser, DK and Diddy voices. Surprised they didn't go there in 4 since Bowser Jr has his cannon voice, it's odd Bowser is still set up as this terrifying monster. I'd also like English Cloud this time, his inclusion just felt very rushed in Smash 4 imo. I hope they go all out with trophies and music this time (Why was there no Barret Mii gunner costume?!?! And more than 2 songs on Midgar please!!!).

From here on out the rest of the post is very off topic but let's see how this shakes things up.

Ya know, I've seen a lot of people talking about how the wait is killing them, and I get where they're coming from, but this wait is chump change compared to the Wii U era news droughts. Remember the months long wait without ANY news from Nintendo in GENERAL post E3 2015? Tough times. Though I do gotta admit this is one of the longer waits weve had for a game in the Switch era.

So, um... may be off topic, but anyone got any funny/interesting/really good childhood Smash stories? Thought you could unlock Sonic in Melee? Had a friend that tried spreading rumors at the playground?

Personally for me, my best childhood smash story is when I got Melee for the first time. Was probably around 4 or 5, had a blast playing multiplayer with my brothers. But, I had NO clue that there were unlockable characters at first (I thought mario's green skin was amazing because I could "play as Luigi"). But one fateful night a couple days later, no one else was awake, I decided I would live life on the edge and play Melee at unreasonably loud volume past bedtime in the basement. No one to play with obviously, so I decide to explore the single player. I played classic mode, beat it for the first time with Bowser (Because Bowser is rad, dude!). Got the trophy, shot the credits, yadda yadda yadda, but then, something shocking happened that I could never forget...
The sudden loud alarms and the large "WARNING!" scared the absolute **** out of me, 4/5 year old me legit thought my TV/game was being invaded. I played Pokemon Yellow prior to Melee, but I never got hooked enough to play up until a point where I could see Jigglypuff. It was late, loud, dark, and I thought I was about to get abducted by some dark weird deformed Kirby. I turned off the Gamecube, BOOKED it upstairs and went to bed terrified about what had just occurred. The next day, I had to have someone else in the room just to turn on the damn system. So I turn on the game, hoping the pink shadow demon is gone, but I then get a screen that says "An opponent has been waiting for you" and boy, was that a fun reaction. Once I got the hang of it, and my tiny brain grasped the concept of "there are more characters in this game!", I no longer feared the balloon from Hell. I could finally play as actual Luigi, so I was happy.

...Funny thinking this scared me :4jigglypuff:

C'mon. I know you have stories as golden as mine. Share them with Smash Boards.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

So much this. There is no excuse for Marth and Roy to remain Japanese-only speakers at this point, especially with Ike, Robin, and Lucina all speaking English. It makes them stick out like a sore thumb among their OWN SERIES, which is beyond irritating. Yuri Lowenthal is the new standard for Marth at this point; he’s taken up the mantle 4 times and was great in all of them.

On the contrary, though, I really hope they don’t replace Ike’s old voice with Greg Chun. He’s a good voice actor but he does not fit the character at all.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Also a strong supporter of cannon Bowser, DK and Diddy voices. Surprised they didn't go there in 4 since Bowser Jr has his cannon voice, it's odd Bowser is still set up as this terrifying monster. I'd also like English Cloud this time, his inclusion just felt very rushed in Smash 4 imo. I hope they go all out with trophies and music this time (Why was there no Barret Mii gunner costume?!?! And more than 2 songs on Midgar please!!!).

From here on out the rest of the post is very off topic but let's see how this shakes things up.

Ya know, I've seen a lot of people talking about how the wait is killing them, and I get where they're coming from, but this wait is chump change compared to the Wii U era news droughts. Remember the months long wait without ANY news from Nintendo in GENERAL post E3 2015? Tough times. Though I do gotta admit this is one of the longer waits weve had for a game in the Switch era.

So, um... may be off topic, but anyone got any funny/interesting/really good childhood Smash stories? Thought you could unlock Sonic in Melee? Had a friend that tried spreading rumors at the playground?

Personally for me, my best childhood smash story is when I got Melee for the first time. Was probably around 4 or 5, had a blast playing multiplayer with my brothers. But, I had NO clue that there were unlockable characters at first (I thought mario's green skin was amazing because I could "play as Luigi"). But one fateful night a couple days later, no one else was awake, I decided I would live life on the edge and play Melee at unreasonably loud volume past bedtime in the basement. No one to play with obviously, so I decide to explore the single player. I played classic mode, beat it for the first time with Bowser (Because Bowser is rad, dude!). Got the trophy, shot the credits, yadda yadda yadda, but then, something shocking happened that I could never forget...
The sudden loud alarms and the large "WARNING!" scared the absolute **** out of me, 4/5 year old me legit thought my TV/game was being invaded. I played Pokemon Yellow prior to Melee, but I never got hooked enough to play up until a point where I could see Jigglypuff. It was late, loud, dark, and I thought I was about to get abducted by some dark weird deformed Kirby. I turned off the Gamecube, BOOKED it upstairs and went to bed terrified about what had just occurred. The next day, I had to have someone else in the room just to turn on the damn system. So I turn on the game, hoping the pink shadow demon is gone, but I then get a screen that says "An opponent has been waiting for you" and boy, was that a fun reaction. Once I got the hang of it, and my tiny brain grasped the concept of "their are more characters in this game!", I no longer feared the balloon from Hell. I could finally play as actual Luigi, so I was happy.

Not exactly being terrified of the Pink Balloon of Doom, but I have a funny story from when I first played Melee as a kid.

I remember my Dad came home from work one day with a Nintendo GameCube ad a copy of Melee. Now I had never played a Smash game before so I had no idea what to expect. All I know is that the opening cinematic blew me away and you could play as Pikachu (totally awesome to my child brain).

So the first thing that I did in the game was go into Adventure mode because we only had one controller at the time. This meant that my first experience with Melee was it being a platform with a whole bunch of Nintendo characters. This in itself seemed like an awesome idea to me then.

What may have presented a problem, though, was that I took a good 15-20 minutes on that first level so when I finished it I had to turn of the GameCube and go to bed. This basically left me with the impression that Melee, the competitive fighting game, was a Nintendo all-star platforming game :laugh:

this impression was changed the next time I played the game and we got another controller, but it just seems bizarre to me that I saw Smash as a Nintendo platformer and that was it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd love having both Japanese and English Marth as options. I love his Japanese version. It sounds fitting.

And yes, please bring back Bonuses. They're awesome~

D

Deleted member

I’m genuinely curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on Dragon Quest content in this smash. It’s surprising to hear KH and Sora being thrown around far more than DQ to me. Is there a reason almost no one ever brings it up? (Plus it’s a fresh topic compared to most lol)
Simply put, most people here in the west don't care about DQ, and KH is agruably the most popular SE franchise in the west after FF (not the most profitable after FF, but it certainly has more exposure and brand awareness that DQ in the west) granted it may be the Disney Brand that helps KH become much more popular and well known, but even when we don't take KH into account DQ has always been sort of..........there.......in the west. (this phenomenon is called Americans Hate Tingle/Germans Love David Hasslehoff, where a franchise is far more disliked/beloved depending on the region, although in this case is more of indifference)

There's also the fact that DQ suffer a similar issue that FF faced before Cloud was confirmed was that people were thorn as to who could represent the franchise better. If Cloud is any indication is that we should choose the most iconic and prominent character of the franchise and lack of Nintendo appereances should not stop that.

.....the problem is that there really isn't a character like that outside of maybe one character. There's Slime but he isn't a main character in the franchise, he's an enemy that is playable in Spin-offs most of the time, so putting him in Smash would be like putting a character like Yoshi as the main Mario representative (recurring speices in the mainline series but only the protagonist in mostly spin-offs sans a DS remake) or Chocobo or something like that. I mean at least Black Mage was a main playable Class in the FF games.

Out of all the DQ characters, the only one i can think of is Edrick (called Loto in Japan), not only he/she is the only character that has an established name (all the other main protagonists are called "hero" and are not given names unless they appear in other forms of media, and even then the names are inconsistent) the first 3 DQ games are sometimes referred as "the Edrick Trilogy" because they heavily reference and are tied to Edrick in some form. Not only that, but Edrick's legacy is further referenced in many later Dragon Quest games.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I mentioned it many pages ago, but I might as well bring it up again: yes, I 100% support toggling voice actors. I know MvC3 did it with the Capcom characters, it shouldn't be too difficult to do in Smash Bros with the likes of Marth, Fox, Pit, Sonic, Cloud, and other characters who speak full lines and have different had VAs for different languages in their original series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So much this. There is no excuse for Marth and Roy to remain Japanese-only speakers at this point, especially with Ike, Robin, and Lucina all using English. It makes them stick out like a sore thumb among their OWN SERIES, which is beyond irritating. Yuri Lowenthal is the new standard for Marth at this point; he’s taken up the mantle 4 times and was great in all of them.

On the contrary, though, I really hope they don’t replace Ike’s old voice with Greg Chun. He’s a good voice actor but he does not fit the character at all.
I have mixed opinions on Greg Chun Ike. Jason Adkins really only did Ike justice in Brawl imo. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn had notoriously bad dubs (though to be fair, that's likely because of voice direction more so than voice acting...maybe), he was underwhelming in Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., and his take on Ike in Fates was really bad (he basically whispered all his lines for some reason).

Basically for me, Brawl Jason Adkins Ike > Greg Chun Ike >>>> non-Brawl Jason Adkins Ike.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think sound improvement is a must, Smash is getting further away from the "Realistic" direction of Brawl. Arguably the worst part about 4 was the holdover sounds from Brawl.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

The sudden loud alarms and the large "WARNING!" scared the absolute **** out of me, 4/5 year old me legit thought my TV/game was being invaded. I played Pokemon Yellow prior to Melee, but I never got hooked enough to play up until a point where I could see Jigglypuff. It was late, loud, dark, and I thought I was about to get abducted by some dark weird deformed Kirby. I turned off the Gamecube, BOOKED it upstairs and went to bed terrified about what had just occurred. The next day, I had to have someone else in the room just to turn on the damn system. So I turn on the game, hoping the pink shadow demon is gone, but I then get a screen that says "An opponent has been waiting for you" and boy, was that a fun reaction. Once I got the hang of it, and my tiny brain grasped the concept of "their are more characters in this game!", I no longer feared the balloon from Hell. I could finally play as actual Luigi, so I was happy.

I don't remember much.

But...

Hmm, when I was little I thought Captain Falcon was a comic character and a police man.

I believed a creepy pasta called Super Smash Bros Cruel Brawl or something, and I was scared.
It was about a character named Cruel that ate the other characters and transformed them in zombies or something, yeah...

I believed a friend who lied to me saying there was a secret character called Ice Clumbers in Melee, yeah, Ice Clumbers, that was like Ice Climbers, but 3 characters instead of 2 (I didn't know much english, so I didn't know climber was a word, I just thought it was a name or something).

I was scared of the zombies from the maze of Melee's adventure mode, Redeads I think?

Also, I became sad when I had to fight against cute characters like Kirby or Pikachu.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I want board the platforms to return. And while we're at it make each of them (and each target smash) different for each character like in 64 and Melee! I also want something like Mortal Kombat's Chess Kombat! Just imagine selecting different characters to play different roles! And instead of normal chess pieces it's trophies! Every time two pieces meet you have to fight with that character! It'd bring something new and hopefully be better than the other board game based mode that we don't talk about!

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I want board the platforms to return. And while we're at it make each of them (and each target smash) different for each character like in 64 and Melee! I also want something like Mortal Kombat's Chess Kombat! Just imagine selecting different characters to play different roles! And instead of normal chess pieces it's trophies! Every time two pieces meet you have to fight with that character! It'd bring something new and hopefully be better than the other board game based mode that we don't talk about!
As awesome as that would be, the biggest problem with it is that with a roster as big as it is now it would take a big chunk of development time to create unique versions of one, or both, for each character. It just would not be worth it when it could be put towards new characters, game balance or polish :ohwell:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Your story is too good to where I can't even explain mine lmao

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'd also like English Cloud this time, his inclusion just felt very rushed in Smash 4 imo.
I think I remember hearing that there would be legal issues with hiring Steve Burton to play Cloud in Smash.

I remember being scared to death of the challenger approaching screen from Melee too. **** was intense.

Outside of that, the only thing I can think of that's interesting is my earliest memory related to Smash Bros, which was young me waking up my mom at 3 in the morning, asking her to play Smash 64 with me.

Funnily enough, she did agree to it, and she played one game with me before going back to bed.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Simply put, most people here in the west don't care about DQ, and KH is agruably the most popular SE franchise in the west after FF (not the most profitable after FF, but it certainly has more exposure and brand awareness that DQ in the west) granted it may be the Disney Brand that helps KH become much more popular and well known, but even when we don't take KH into account DQ has always been sort of..........there.......in the west. (this phenomenon is called Americans Hate Tingle/Germans Love David Hasslehoff, where a franchise is far more disliked/beloved depending on the region, although in this case is more of indifference)

There's also the fact that DQ suffer a similar issue that FF faced before Cloud was confirmed was that people were thorn as to who could represent the franchise better. If Cloud is any indication is that we should choose the most iconic and prominent character of the franchise and lack of Nintendo appereances should not stop that.

.....the problem is that there really isn't a character like that outside of maybe one character. There's Slime but he isn't a main character in the franchise, he's an enemy that is playable in Spin-offs most of the time, so putting him in Smash would be like putting a character like Yoshi as the main Mario representative (recurring speices in the mainline series but only the protagonist in mostly spin-offs sans a DS remake) or Chocobo or something like that. I mean at least Black Mage was a main playable Class in the FF games.

Out of all the DQ characters, the only one i can think of is Edrick (called Loto in Japan), not only he/she is the only character that has an established name (all the other main protagonists are called "hero" and are not given names unless they appear in other forms of media, and even then the names are inconsistent) the first 3 DQ games are sometimes referred as "the Edrick Trilogy" because they heavily reference and are tied to Edrick in some form. Not only that, but Edrick's legacy is further referenced in many later Dragon Quest games.
Your very much right on multiple accounts my friend! I also agree that Erdrick would be a fine choice, I’d also say the hero from the first game or maybe 8 would work too. But either way, with how insanely popular it still is today in Japan I’m honestly shocked we haven’t seen any content at all in smash. I mean there’s often talk of Sakurai having a cultural bias towards his own home and yet no DQ? A little odd to me. I would LOVE it if we got even a little content this time around, I’ve fallen in love with the series, and with its roots starting all the way back on the famicom back in 86 I think it’s very much deserving of some love

LaZeldame

Smash Rookie
When I was little, I thought that Ness was just a filler character from Mario Golf or something like that.

I always called him "the generic cartoon boy from Mario".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom