• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

When i first played Smash 64 and didn't knew what character were unlockable, i tought that Mewtwo was hidden.

When i tried to unlock Wolf in Brawl, i got my ass Kicked multiple times before i defeated him.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
lol, I remembered another one.

I thought Ice Climbers were flower creatures the first time I saw them in Melee's boxart.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
When i first played Smash 64 and didn't knew what character were unlockable, i tought that Mewtwo was hidden.

When i tried to unlock Wolf in Brawl, i got my *** Kicked multiple times before i defeated him.
I determined that Ness's silhouette was Wario and was frustrated that there was no way to unlock Metal Mario.

The new game needs a debug mode where people can finally fight as Master Hand, Metal Mario, Giant Donkey Kong, or even Giga Bowser. It's clear that people go to the effort to hack the game and do this, so hopefully Sakurai will acknowledge the demand and make a secret unrecorded mode that allows you to mess around with stuff like that.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Also a strong supporter of cannon Bowser, DK and Diddy voices. Surprised they didn't go there in 4 since Bowser Jr has his cannon voice, it's odd Bowser is still set up as this terrifying monster. I'd also like English Cloud this time, his inclusion just felt very rushed in Smash 4 imo. I hope they go all out with trophies and music this time (Why was there no Barret Mii gunner costume?!?! And more than 2 songs on Midgar please!!!).

From here on out the rest of the post is very off topic but let's see how this shakes things up.

Ya know, I've seen a lot of people talking about how the wait is killing them, and I get where they're coming from, but this wait is chump change compared to the Wii U era news droughts. Remember the months long wait without ANY news from Nintendo in GENERAL post E3 2015? Tough times. Though I do gotta admit this is one of the longer waits weve had for a game in the Switch era.

So, um... may be off topic, but anyone got any funny/interesting/really good childhood Smash stories? Thought you could unlock Sonic in Melee? Had a friend that tried spreading rumors at the playground?

Personally for me, my best childhood smash story is when I got Melee for the first time. Was probably around 4 or 5, had a blast playing multiplayer with my brothers. But, I had NO clue that there were unlockable characters at first (I thought mario's green skin was amazing because I could "play as Luigi"). But one fateful night a couple days later, no one else was awake, I decided I would live life on the edge and play Melee at unreasonably loud volume past bedtime in the basement. No one to play with obviously, so I decide to explore the single player. I played classic mode, beat it for the first time with Bowser (Because Bowser is rad, dude!). Got the trophy, shot the credits, yadda yadda yadda, but then, something shocking happened that I could never forget...
The sudden loud alarms and the large "WARNING!" scared the absolute **** out of me, 4/5 year old me legit thought my TV/game was being invaded. I played Pokemon Yellow prior to Melee, but I never got hooked enough to play up until a point where I could see Jigglypuff. It was late, loud, dark, and I thought I was about to get abducted by some dark weird deformed Kirby. I turned off the Gamecube, BOOKED it upstairs and went to bed terrified about what had just occurred. The next day, I had to have someone else in the room just to turn on the damn system. So I turn on the game, hoping the pink shadow demon is gone, but I then get a screen that says "An opponent has been waiting for you" and boy, was that a fun reaction. Once I got the hang of it, and my tiny brain grasped the concept of "their are more characters in this game!", I no longer feared the balloon from Hell. I could finally play as actual Luigi, so I was happy.

...Funny thinking this scared me :4jigglypuff:

C'mon. I know you have stories as golden as mine. Share them with Smash Boards.
The only good childhood smash story I have was being kicked out of my buddy's house in like grade 4 because I was swearing too much at the game when I was losing.

Switch related, I am also hoping Bowser gets his normal canon voice again. Give Mario a damn smile again. I actually liked Mario's Melee voice the best, dunno why.

This reminds me of a better smash memory as a kid...indirecly related. I remember yelling "Ee-Haaaah!" As I did Mario's down b in the air on my trampoline to my opponent, the "sandbag" (it was a pillow) as I launched it out of bounds of the trampoline. I would do Mario's forward air onto the pillow in mid air too, spiking it back onto the trampoline ground, followed by it bouncing up again for a Luigi fair chop

For those who had a trampoline...best thing ever.

I literally labbed real life combos on the trampoline stage.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
In 64 my brother and I always called Ness "Floaty Mario"

A friend had told me that Raichu was unlockable in Melee if you get at least 20 KOs in Cruel Melee with Pichu. By some miracle I actually did it and got nothing in return

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I'm really getting very bored without any info. Also I think we will get info only in E3. I'm not seeing them releasing a Direct on May

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I determined that Ness's silhouette was Wario and was frustrated that there was no way to unlock Metal Mario.

The new game needs a debug mode where people can finally fight as Master Hand, Metal Mario, Giant Donkey Kong, or even Giga Bowser. It's clear that people go to the effort to hack the game and do this, so hopefully Sakurai will acknowledge the demand and make a secret unrecorded mode that allows you to mess around with stuff like that.
I'd love an updated Smash 64 that simply had those options, to play as all Characters. Just have Master Hand only be available on Final Stage, but otherwise rest work well.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

When i tried to unlock Wolf in Brawl, i got my *** Kicked multiple times before i defeated him.
Playtime's over StarFox!

lol, I remembered another one.

I thought Ice Climbers were flower creatures the first time I saw them in Melee's boxart.

OMG glad I wasn't the only one lmao

One of my best memories was when my nephew and I used to play Melee often. We ended up doing various modes like stock, coin, etc and even made up a new type of game where we start one on one. Win a fight, we choose a teammate to add 2 vs 1, 3 vs 1, 2 on 2, etc

At one point, we hit the 20 hours for 2 players and he was playing Link I believe. Once Mewtwo's "A NEW FOE HAS APPEARED!" screen popped up, I screamed in excitement because it was FINALLY time to get him. Grabbed his controller, beat Mewtwo, and was happy

Of course he was mad at me for it so I let him get Mr Game and Watch LMAO

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Since we are talking about voices. What the heck happened to Fox’s voice in 4?

I remember hearing something about his voice actor having a sinus infection on the day of the recordings, but I don't know if that's true or not, anybody know?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Here are some things that don't affect game play, that I would like to see improved in this coming Smash game.
  • Metal Box turn Peach into Pink Gold Peach
  • Super Leaf turn Luigi into Kitsune Luigi
  • Corresponding colors for Koopa Klown Grab Arms
  • S.S. Drake for Alph
  • Diddy's jet pack from DKC Returns
  • Princess Peach victory theme
  • Dr. Mario victory theme
  • New Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Star Fox designs
  • Ganondorf with Ancient Armor
  • Sheik's harp as a taunt or victory pose
  • Ninten alt of Ness
  • Leif alt of Marth
  • Ms. Pac-Man alt of Pac-Man
  • Return of Mr. Game & Watch's KO cry
  • Rings from Sonic's KO
  • More Sonic 3&K music
  • Melee Menus SFX
  • Jeff Manning as announcer

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight

I remember hearing something about his voice actor having a sinus infection on the day of the recordings, but I don't know if that's true or not, anybody know?
I can't verify that, at all. Sorry.

But here's a video of Fox's opening monologue in Zero, since you were so kind as to post a video of Fox's voice in Sm4sh.

I need more of this voice, please. That and Wolf as well.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm really getting very bored without any info. Also I think we will get info only in E3. I'm not seeing them releasing a Direct on May
Nintendo's surprised us before, they could surprise us again.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I also wasted like 3 days trying to know what was the use of Jigglypuff's Down Special in Smash 64.
Also trying to do Final Smashes, because my cousin told me they existed in Smash 64.

In Melee, after I listened to some sounds in Sound Test that sounded like Final Smashes (angry Pichu and Pikachu and Dr. Mario growing) I tried to do Final Smashes pressing random buttons, again.

Hmm... and yeah, Fox's voice is pretty bad in Smash 4, I would play more as him if he had a better one .

Also, please make more "pain" sounds for Ness, because I swear that he screams too loud and it's the same scream every time you hit him.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm watching the Smash Bros direct from 2014, and now I'm thinking about how I really hope they bring Ω form back in Smash 5. It was such a fun idea, and made it way easier to play on stages you love without having to worry about hazards.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I'm watching the Smash Bros direct from 2014, and now I'm thinking about how I really hope they bring Ω form back in Smash 5. It was such a fun idea, and made it way easier to play on stages you love without having to worry about hazards.
It's been talked about here before, but I'd love alpha stages in the form of battlefield. But like I mentioned last time I'd prefer a stage hazard switch over anything else.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I swear I remember reading that Fox's voice actor was sick or something when he did the lines, and that's why he sounded so nasally in Smash For. I remember feeling bad for dissing the voice work afterwards.

As far as voices go, I guess I'm in the extreme minority of liking Bowser and the Kong's portrayals in Smash, their current "canon" voices sound way too goofy, and the original DKC games + early Bowser voices sounded like the Smash versions.

I do want to see the J-Pop trio of Marth, Roy, and Cloud speak English finally, and I'm baffled as to why Olimar is silent in Smash when his voice is the best thing ever.

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
Ok I have an idea for a Fossil Fighters stage: Guhnash!

You fight inside of him where you (spoiler alert) fight him in the first FF game! The stage has walk offs and Guhnash's three brains in the background! Every so often one of the brains attacks!

Guhvorn will swing his horns like a helicopter along the stage only leaving a bit of space for the players to take no damage, He will then repeat the process on the opposite side.

Guhlith will fly over the middle of the stage and shoot a large laser from his mouth downwards.

Guhweep will fly over a random part of the stage (being the left, right, or middle) and ground pound the stage three times changing where he lands with each bounce.

Sometimes Guhnash will eat a meteor causing debris to fall towards the stage and sometimes leave a large rock in the player's way. The rock will be destroyed by Guhvorn or Guhweep's attack.

Music:
Guhnash's theme
Battle Theme (Fossil Fighters)
King Dynal Battle
Bullwort Battle
Mt. LavaFlow
Don Boneyard Battle
Rivet Ravine

Home stage to:
Hunter/Rosie/Dino/Dina
Duna

What do you think?

Roberk

Smash Champion
Well, it seems like that's it, no news about anything in April. We got some release dates but that's all. I doubt they'd go out of the established pattern and announce/release a Direct later this week. I also doubt there'd be anything major in May when E3 is so close. 6 more weeks I guess.

Here are some things that don't affect game play, that I would like to see improved in this coming Smash game.
  • Leif alt of Marth
I don't even care if he doesn't use his light magic or has the ability to use every weapon in his game, Leif even as an alt would be the greatest of memes.

D

Deleted member

I may be in the minority but i want Mega Man to have a voice.

Yeah yeah i get it he's supposed to reference the NES games where he didn't have a voice but it comes across as weird and uncanny instead of beign charming honestly.

I know i know, Mega Man is quite infmous for its voice acting (Dr WAhWHEE) and im not exactly fond of english Mega Man voices, but there's one japanese voice actress that i feel is perfect for Mega Man, and that is Ai Orikasa, and here's an expert of her voicing Mega Man in Super Adventure Rockman:

Im not asking for him to have lines, he could be in a Mewtwo-like situation where he only has grunts by Ai Orisaka in the international release and it would still be miles better than his silent appereance in Smash 4, and i honestly see that as the ideal way of having him since i never was fond of any english voice Mega Man had in the past (with the expection of Powered Up, but that voice was passable rather than good)

Last edited by a moderator:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Speaking of Mega Man do people think he may get an updated design, or would like hime to get a new one? Perhaps use the new one from Mega Man 11?

Gumzilla

Smash Journeyman
I may be in the minority but i want Mega Man to have a voice.

Yeah yeah i get it he's supposed to reference the NES games where he didn't have a voice but it comes across as weird and uncanny instead of beign charming honestly.

I know i know, Mega Man is quite infmous for its voice acting (Dr WAhWHEE) and im not exactly fond of english Mega Man voices, but there's one japanese voice actress that i feel is perfect for Mega Man, and that is Ai Orikasa, and here's an expert of her voicing Mega Man in Super Adventure Rockman:

Im not asking for him to have lines, he could be in a Mewtwo-like situation where he only has grunts by Ai Orisaka in the international release and it would still be miles better than his silent appereance in Smash 4, and i honestly see that as the ideal way of having him since i never was fond of any english voice Mega Man had in the past (with the expection of Powered Up, but that voice was passable rather than good)
And while we're at it fix his expression!

That blank expression is a bit unsettling.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'd rather Mega Man not have a voice in Smash. No voice really fits him for me, honestly.

He definitely needs real expressions though.

Speaking of Mega Man do people think he may get an updated design, or would like hime to get a new one? Perhaps use the new one from Mega Man 11?
But the one from Mega Man 11 is identical to the design in Smash, just a bit thinner since it's not being scaled for Smash (or being as 1-1 with the NES sprite.)

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Making Megaman's proportions resemble the classic-era art rather than the NES sprite would be good imo. I know a few Megaman fans aren't fond of how close it sticks to the expressionless NES sprite.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
But the one from Mega Man 11 is identical to the design in Smash, just a bit thinner since it's not being scaled for Smash (or being as 1-1 with the NES sprite.)
I could have sworn there was more of a difference between the two, huh. My mistake :079:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I wouldn't mind them rounding the proportions to fit the art better. Although I have to admit I generally prefer Archie Mega Man over most literal NES artwork of Mega Man.

(Not that I dislike NES artwork of Mega Man, it's just that Archie Mega Man is really good.)

Aren't robots supposed to not have expressions?

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I wouldn't mind them rounding the proportions to fit the art better. Although I have to admit I generally prefer Archie Mega Man over most literal NES artwork of Mega Man.

The Japanese version shows only this:

Whatever was written for the English version diverged from the Japanese too greatly and was not taken from the original script.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom