• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Waluigi doesn't care that Ridley is purple. He's still angry that SmashBoards doesn't acknowledge his Brawl in the Family legacy.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
So I opened Smashboards to see RIdley Boards and thought we're making a *big* deal about Ridley because he got confirmed overnight or whatever...then I remembered the date....

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So I opened Smashboards to see RIdley Boards and thought we're making a *big* deal about Ridley because he got confirmed overnight or whatever...then I remembered the date....

Easter Sunday?

sympathetic back pat

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know seriously talking, Lara Croft I think actually has a really good chance of making it, like I can't get it out of my mind just how likely she is. She's a huge name, the sort of name that Sakurai looks for in third parties, and Square Enix already has shown willingness to let a character in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Is it bad the forum looks better like this, and I'd actually like to keep my avatar?
Nah. That's personally your thing. This forum looks trash. Too much purple for me.

I'll take the Shaq theme any day.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know seriously talking, Lara Croft I think actually has a really good chance of making it, like I can't get it out of my mind just how likely she is. She's a huge name, the sort of name that Sakurai looks for in third parties, and Square Enix already has shown willingness to let a character in Smash.
I think you might be overestimating her chances a bit. Sakurai was the largest influence in Cloud's inclusion, as he was specially looking for a Final Fantasy character. Cloud just so happened to be the most popular FF character suggested in the ballot, and that's what ultimately got him in.

While it's not impossible, I don't see Sakurai turning to the Tomb Raider series for a newcomer the same way he did with FF.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
No April Fools joke but it is confirmed.
At Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/22/1...-2-world-championship-e3-2018-nintendo-switch

Bill Trinen, Nintendo's senior product marketing manager, talks more information about the upcoming Super Smash Bros Invitational. According to Polygon, it said on quote:

“We want to have an event that showcases a really high level of play. We want it to be fun for the players, fun for the fans in attendance and for those streaming at home. We want to have matchups that people want to see.”

“Trinen also said that the Smash Bros. tournament will be aimed at both casual and longtime Nintendo fans. Trinen noted that with Splatoon 2’s matches, he believes that the spectator mode will make things easy to follow.”

So this tournament is going to be a casual tournament like last invitational? What is your comment?

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Speaking about Final Fantasy, who should be the new Assist Trophy? I would like Vivi (FF9) or a Black mage!

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Do you think Ridley likes headpats, resetera agreed. Need to know from the experts.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Wait is something going on with the boards? I think something is slightly different than normal, but I can't tell. Is anyone else getting weird vibes for no reason?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
No April Fools joke but it is confirmed.
At Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/22/1...-2-world-championship-e3-2018-nintendo-switch

Bill Trinen, Nintendo's senior product marketing manager, talks more information about the upcoming Super Smash Bros Invitational. According to Polygon, it said on quote:

“We want to have an event that showcases a really high level of play. We want it to be fun for the players, fun for the fans in attendance and for those streaming at home. We want to have matchups that people want to see.”

“Trinen also said that the Smash Bros. tournament will be aimed at both casual and longtime Nintendo fans. Trinen noted that with Splatoon 2’s matches, he believes that the spectator mode will make things easy to follow.”

So this tournament is going to be a casual tournament like last invitational? What is your comment?
I think it's probably better for everyone, honestly. I watch every Smash tournament I can, so I'm not a big fan of items and stage gimmicks. But the goal for Nintendo is to build hype for the game to crowds who may not already intend to get the game. Us competitive players are going to buy the game literally no matter what, so what's the point in marketing to us? We're going to do our best to make the game as enjoyable as possible regardless of what happens at the E3 invitational. It's just supposed to be a fun event with nothing terribly serious on the line.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I feel that this invitational will be very similar to the last one.
I just wish M2K to be invited but Nintendo may think he is "too weird" for their view of "family". Nintendo is so afraid of moving forward.

Watch Out!

Smash Rookie
This is the biggest Ridleyboards update so far! Good going, guys! Let's keep up the good work.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
From a marketing standpoint, being able to show off as much as possible from the tournament would make sense. Plus keep in mind that the people that attend E3 are not necessarily the same people that are head deep into the competitive scene to begin with, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Dunno about Lara Croft, seems to me like she'd be pretty far down in the pecking order of 3rd parties.
Not sure how'd one would measure the pecking order of third party game characters at this point, outside of personal preference. Though I'm sure one could.

I feel with Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man are the most "essential" of them due to general fame, connection with Nintendo, moves they can use/playstyles they offer and the like.

Lara Croft would still be fairly low I suppose, but she's almost as memorable as Cloud, Sonic, Mega Man ect. And she had a handful of Nintendo appearances. The moves are what I worry about a bit, unless they decide to mix her classic and modern versions, I don't know if they'll add another character who uses realistic guns.

She's not my first pick for a new third party but I do think she makes SOME sense.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
From a marketing standpoint, being able to show off as much as possible from the tournament would make sense. Plus keep in mind that the people that attend E3 are not necessarily the same people that are head deep into the competitive scene to begin with, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
My thoughts exactly. Bill made the comment about bringing a "high level of play", and I think that might be a little misleading to some, perhaps giving people the idea that they're trying to make it a truly competitive environment, but I think they just mean they're going to being out higher level players because they're going to be more exciting to watch, items or no items.

On that note, what professional Smash players do you hope to see at the invitational? My personal hope is to see Nairo. He has a great personality and plays with a more flashy style that most top players. On top of that, he often does fun matches in his stream using items and custom stages, so he is definitely more acquainted with items, stage gimmicks, etc. than a lot of high level players. I think he could bring a lot to the invitational.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I just wish M2K to be invited but Nintendo may think he is "too weird" for their view of "family". Nintendo is so afraid of moving forward.
They're more likely to be particular with expectations and behavior in a general sense compared to your standard competitive event. Why it's strictly an invitational rather then an open event. Some things that are acceptable in standard tournament may come off the wrong way in this kind of situation, just kind of how things are. It probably not as simple as being a 'traditional family' view that they are going for.

D

Deleted member

Behold this masterpiece:
The ultimate Smash Switch roster.
Made by me.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
In my opinion I think Captian Syrup is the most deserving female newcomer for smash right now since there is almost no content about Wario land in smash and Wario is the only rep from his series but I know it's unlucky to happen.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think it's probably better for everyone, honestly. I watch every Smash tournament I can, so I'm not a big fan of items and stage gimmicks. But the goal for Nintendo is to build hype for the game to crowds who may not already intend to get the game. Us competitive players are going to buy the game literally no matter what, so what's the point in marketing to us? We're going to do our best to make the game as enjoyable as possible regardless of what happens at the E3 invitational. It's just supposed to be a fun event with nothing terribly serious on the line.
Some gut feeling tells me from all this info we'll definitely be getting a direct much sooner than we expect, so possible upcoming players get to soak in to what the game has to offer, which'd include both the veterans players and the newcomers.

At least that'd mitigate the tournament being a a chaotic fest that has watchers not have any idea what's going on because either everyone's too busy trying out characters and figure out their strength only to be hit by someone lobbing items at them or chasing them about.

But I think I'm asking too much.:drshrug:

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Some gut feeling tells me from all this info we'll definitely be getting a direct much sooner than we expect, so possible upcoming players get to soak in to what the game has to offer, which'd include both the veterans players and the newcomers.

At least that'd mitigate the tournament being a a chaotic fest that has watchers not have any idea what's going on because either everyone's too busy trying out characters and figure out their strength only to be hit by someone lobbing items at them or chasing them about.

That reminds me of the Best Buy demo. I went with a gameplan to try a few various things with Mega Man (was extra hype for him, he was my favorite video game character of all time for the majority of my life), but was instead met with a ****-show of items, final smashes, and KO punches. Even with my pre-planned list of things to try, I could hardly tell what was happening. It was very disappointing, to say the least :p

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

It's definitely a possibility. It seems weird that they would hold a tournament for a game before their usual E3 Direct before they've even shown a trailer for the game.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Behold this masterpiece:
The ultimate Smash Switch roster.
Made by me.
If Dk receives 4 newcomers I will make/record a video of absurd proportions. I accept ideas.

(Seriously, the game could be horrible and I'd defend it anyway)

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
I logged back in after years of inactivity to see what I got in the Ridley Roulette™ and of course I got stuck with the lamest Ridley. I'm quitting again. :V

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I'm so glad to see that everybody in the Smash forums finally stopped being brain dead and realized that Ridley is the ONLY choice left for Smash bros.

The support here is massive and Sakurai is bound to notice that we all exclusively want Ridley and no-one else! This next Smash bros. game is gonna be the game that's going to show that we've finally evolved passed our primitive mindset from a few years ago!

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Im sad that Mango isnt invited to the last invitational. Hopefully, he enters in this tournament.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I have 1 character slot left in my dream roster and I'm not sure who I should give it to..

My runner-ups:
1. Dark Samus
2. Slippy Toad
3. Knuckles
4. Porkey Minch
5. Black Shadow
6. Ray 01
7. Andy
8. Geno
9. Decidueye
10. Takamaru

Status