• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
She's part of a group of beings called Blades. Blades are born from Cores that can be summoned by Drivers, and each Blade packs extraordinary powers such as the abilities to control fire, water, electricity, and wind. However they still act like normal people, with their own personalities and basic needs like sleeping and eating, to the point there are stories of Blades and Drivers actually getting married. Not everyone can be a Driver though, only a select few can summon them, but any living thing can potentially become a Driver. Those that cannot summon a Blade will suffer a very nasty near death experience. The relationship between a Driver and Blade is important, as they need to work together in order to summon the full power of the Blade.

Blades are immortal, but with several catches. If their Driver ever dies, the Blade will revert back to being a Core and can be summoned again by a new Driver, but with recollections completely wiped the next time they're summoned. They however can die if the core on their chest is destroyed. Blades are also able to regenerate their bodies, but they will be unable to do so if their life force is shared with a non-Blade, such as what happened with Pyra and Rex.

Pyra and Mythra specifically are particularly special as they are the Aegis, a legendary Blade that ended a cataclysmic war in the past.

Hopefully this clears things up.
Probably should put that in a spoiler tag.

Also why does all that explanation sound so close to FFX.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Probably should put that in a spoiler tag.
That information comes from the first several hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so there's nothing major spoiled.

Even then I didn't go into specifics, making the "cataclysmic war" bit ambiguous on purpose. Because believe me, it goes deep and I don't want to spoil it.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Would have been even funnier if the boards were still Ridleyboards...but everything is purple. No disernable shapes. He's too big to fit.

I know my Ridley couldn't fit into my avatar...

Here's a question I've had: What would it be like to have a mode with a "melee" game engine? Like you can toggle between melee and smash 4 engine with a button, and melee would have all the l cancelling, wavedashing,etc. Smash 4 would have all it's stuff. Movesets wouldnt change between engines for anyone, just physics (Luigi would have the best wavedash, etc)

Or it's probably too much work...right? It could just be an online option/regular smash battle option even. The rest of the game could stick to one engine, probably smash 4.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Would have been even funnier if the boards were still Ridleyboards...but everything is purple. No disernable shapes. He's too big to fit.

Here's a question I've had: What would it be like to have a mode with a "melee" game engine? Like you can toggle between melee and smash 4 engine with a button, and melee would have all the l cancelling, wavedashing,etc. Smash 4 would have all it's stuff. Movesets wouldnt change between engines for anyone, just physics (Luigi would have the best wavedash, etc)

Or it's probably too much work...right? It could just be an online option/regular smash battle option even. The rest of the game could stick to one engine, probably smash 4.
That's an absurd amount of work for a very specific niche.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I feel like the problem with something like that is that it would undermine the new engine. Competitive players and tournaments would all use the super competitive Melee engine, and the new engine that the development cycle was focused on would either be outright ignored, or be in a smaller separate event.

Morbi

Scavenger

I doubt it would waste nearly as much time as Subspace or having two different versions of the same game would. I would only see this as a possibility if Nintendo was serious about making Smash an Esport; however, Sakurai still wanted the game to be as dumb as a sack of rocks for the casuals. Overall, I definitely enjoy the idea, but I would much rather have a compromise (keep tech that can only function with specific inputs such as wave-dashing but remove unnecessary tech barriers such as l-canceling).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Though it would never happen(just way too much data to program and balance), it'd be a lot of fun and cater to multiple players, making it easier to do tournament settings and gather even more players overall.

I enjoy the advanced techniques, but it's clear that they have serious balance issues. L-Cancelling is obviously "there's no reason not to", unlike Teching, which there's times where rolling over is a better option, and Wavedashing isn't balanced among the characters(ignoring the issue that it can do a number on your hands, of course).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I wonder if a 8-player smash Ridley only match would fit on the Earth

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Instead of bringing back L-canceling, I would suggest just having a universal reduction of landing lag for every aerial attack. As mentioned already, the main issue with L-canceling is that there's not a single situation where not using is beneficial, so all it does is add another pointless layer of button inputs you have to worry about. Which is contradictory to the nature of Super Smash Bros. being purposely simplified.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, I think this might send a message if there are any Nintendo reps who check smashboards.

April fools shenanigans are always fun, but this could actually impact something
It's obviously a sign that Ridley is still a relevant subject amongst the Smash fanbase, but I really don't think Nintendo need anymore pointers on Ridley's popularity, they know all about it. Sakurai obviously acknowledged it, but Nintendo were also memeing pretty hard about Ridley post-Smash 4 release, they mentioned his size issue on the launch live stream, as well as recognizing his Smash popularity in that Badge Arcade thing on the 3DS in a very straight forward way. Ridley has actually received a lot of attention from Nintendo post-Smash 4, even while Metroid was still inactive, @Zem-raj made a fantastic post about it in the Ridley thread.

All the craziness that happened on here 4-5 years ago certainly didn't go unnoticed, and I'd have been surprised if it did with the old thread reaching 78k replies and 3 million views, it was one of the most popular Nintendo-related discussions on the internet for a little over a year (it peaked between the Pyrosphere reveal and the final leak). His popularity in the Smash fanbase is unmatched in terms of consistency, so many fanbases have come and gone in the time Ridley has been considered one of the main candidates (spanning ~12 years), so that's never been the problem. I'm sure Sakurai will have revisited him once again, but that's probably as much impact his popularity can possibly have, chances are that Sakurai binned the idea within 5 minutes as he still doesn't think it possible, but we can only hope that this time he's finally pulled it off.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
We can trade Ridley icons. :cool:

You want her to wear granny panties? A bit excessive in the other direction, if you ask me.

If they added Lycanroc, it would probably be the cool version, not the quadrupedal.
I’m just saying that they’ll probably increase the length of her shorts. No, granny panties will look weird.

Who said that Midnight Lycanroc is cooler than Midday Lycanroc. I saw a video that had a move set concept for how both could be implemented into the same move set a la transformation/tag out down special, and I’d want that. Other than that a quadruped will be more unique, IMO.

Back to Ridley. I wouldn’t mind if Ridley got in, I mean Metroid technically only has one character being Samus (ZSS and Samus are both the same person but with different move sets). The only other Metroid character that seems to make sense is Ridley due to his reoccurrences in the series, and Sylux isn’t really that established compared to him.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

I'll say no, because all the development/balancing time required for Melee mode could be put to better use I'm sure.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
She's part of a group of beings called Blades. Blades are born from Cores that can be summoned by Drivers, and each Blade packs extraordinary powers such as the abilities to control fire, water, electricity, and wind. However they still act like normal people, with their own personalities and basic needs like sleeping and eating, to the point there are stories of Blades and Drivers actually getting married. Not everyone can be a Driver though, only a select few can summon them, but any living thing can potentially become a Driver. Those that cannot summon a Blade will suffer a very nasty near death experience. The relationship between a Driver and Blade is important, as they need to work together in order to summon the full power of the Blade.

Blades are immortal, but with several catches. If their Driver ever dies, the Blade will revert back to being a Core and can be summoned again by a new Driver, but with recollections completely wiped the next time they're summoned. They however can die if the core on their chest is destroyed. Blades are also able to regenerate their bodies, but they will be unable to do so if their life force is shared with a non-Blade, such as what happened with Pyra and Rex.

Pyra and Mythra specifically are particularly special as they are the Aegis, a legendary Blade that ended a cataclysmic war in the past.

Hopefully this clears things up.
spoilers dude!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as the different engines for gameplay, like a base engine and Melee engine, it’ll probably never happen. I’m honestly not sure how practical that would be in practice, as that would, hypothetically, double the amount of time for balancing the roster.

Next, while something like this April Fools joke could draw attention to something in regards to the game, unfortunately it won’t have any impact now. The roster is decided fairly early on, and as far as what Sakurai has said (in those Wii U documents that were linked here yesterday), the plan stays in motion until the end. The only case where this didn’t happen was Sonic in Brawl.

If Sakurai gets Ridley playable in a practical way, then it will sure be exciting. Unfortunately I won’t be holding my breath.

Anyway, enjoy your day folks! Whether you’re celebrating something or involved in some hijinks, there’s something for everybody!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I’m just saying that they’ll probably increase the length of her shorts. No, granny panties will look weird.

Who said that Midnight Lycanroc is cooler than Midday Lycanroc. I saw a video that had a move set concept for how both could be implemented into the same move set a la transformation/tag out down special, and I’d want that. Other than that a quadruped will be more unique, IMO.

Back to Ridley. I wouldn’t mind if Ridley got in, I mean Metroid technically only has one character being Samus (ZSS and Samus are both the same person but with different move sets). The only other Metroid character that seems to make sense is Ridley due to his reoccurrences in the series, and Sylux isn’t really that established compared to him.
Was it @Delzethin's video?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
If there was Lycanroc, it should totally be dusk. That way it had access to accellrock and counter, plus the other two Lycanrocs could make good color palettes.

Also probably 70% of the people who like midnight Lycanroc MORE than midday or dusk are probably furries. Not that it's a bad thing, just an observation.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If there was Lycanroc, it should totally be dusk. That way it had access to accellrock and counter, plus the other two Lycanrocs could make good color palettes.

Also probably 70% of the people who like midnight Lycanroc MORE than midday or dusk are probably furries. Not that it's a bad thing, just an observation.
I like Midday and Midnight, but I'm still trying to get used to Dusk Lycanroc's design. I still think Midday is the better quad.

...And while I do like Midnight's design more than Dusk's, I'm not a furry.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Also probably 70% of the people who like midnight Lycanroc MORE than midday or dusk are probably furries.
I like Midnight more than Midday or Dusk. Not a furry.

I just wanted a cool werewolf Pokemon.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai is gonna see the Smash's modes of play and the way players can play together and it won't even be 8 player Smash.

''GET READY FOR.....18 PLAYER SMASH!"

And there's a whole bunch of cuts because of it.

IronTed

Smash Ace

Count me as part of that 30%, then.

Pakky

Smash Hero
When Ridley gets into Smash, everyone should wear the neigh sayers out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's a weird, dismissive and almost puritanical perspective that sees a somewhat anthropomorphized canine and assumes the majority of its support comes from fetishists.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if/when Ridley is added, does Smashboards become Ridleyboards again?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I heard Sakurai mention Paper Ridley as a potential unique fighter...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The moment you notice you get 4 notifications from the same thing and none of them were likes means you screwed up.

Soooooo.... I screwed up. Should have been more obvious that the furry lycanroc thing was mostly a joke, haha

It's a weird, dismissive and almost puritanical perspective that sees a somewhat anthropomorphized canine and assumes the majority of its support comes from fetishists.
I want to be clear that when I joked about "70% of Midnight fans are furries" I did not mean that I think that 70% of the people fetishize lycanroc. No, I have better standards than that.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Though it would never happen(just way too much data to program and balance), it'd be a lot of fun and cater to multiple players, making it easier to do tournament settings and gather even more players overall.

I enjoy the advanced techniques, but it's clear that they have serious balance issues. L-Cancelling is obviously "there's no reason not to", unlike Teching, which there's times where rolling over is a better option, and Wavedashing isn't balanced among the characters(ignoring the issue that it can do a number on your hands, of course).
What about dash dancing? As far as what I hear, the only characters that really benefit are Fox, Falcon, Marth, and DK.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Who are the most iconic Third Party characters not owned by direct competitors not in Smash already?

Crash Bandicoot?
Lara Croft would have to up there being gamings most recognisable lady
I see Rayman and Bomberman brought up a lot
Simon Belmont is mentioned a lot too

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'd be fine with just Smash 4's mechanics, if they adjusted only a few things - 1: turn off the Brawl-esque moon gravity, and 2: remove the ability to airdodge more than once.

D

Deleted member

First Crashboards, then maybe when the fire is put out.
No.
WaluigiBoards.

Edit: Happy April Fools everyone in this thread! Keep up the good speculation!

Last edited by a moderator:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Who are the most iconic Third Party characters not owned by direct competitors not in Smash already?

Crash Bandicoot?
Lara Croft would have to up there being gamings most recognisable lady
I see Rayman and Bomberman brought up a lot
Simon Belmont is mentioned a lot too
Along with Crash you could argue for Spyro (another glorious purple dragon). I agree that Rayman and Bomberman seem like good possibilities. The dream would be for a character like Sora to get in, however unlikely that may be.

Aside from that you have not really got many characters who are relevant anymore, I mean characters like Earthworm Jim and Gex have not had games since the N64 I believe (may have been GBA). So there is not a huge pool of third-party characters to draw from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom