• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
No.

Any action you take in the air adds landing lag.

Test it out in Smash 4 yourself.

Jump and then jump with an air dodge.

Even after the air dodge is finished, it'll have more landing lag.
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Air_dodge
I got this 4 u
"However, air dodges now produce a significant landing lag of 21 frames as the character lands with an air dodge active, even during vulnerability frames, making air dodges easier to punish on land, and thus riskier to use close to the ground."

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sora and Earthworm Jim are two guest characters I'd consider putting on my runner-up list, but they're not historically big video game characters.. At least not compared to the icons most people have on their wish lists (myself included).
I kindly disagree with you. Sora IS a big Video Game Icons, just for the mere fact it's the child of the cross-over of Disney AND Final fantasy. Kingdom Heart Popularity only goes up, to the point where it trump 95% of the Marvel/Movie/Cartoon announcement in a DISNEY event in term of hype, and Disney themselves seems to know about it since some years ago...Probably the last two three years?

Where they were willing to let Sora Appear in World of Final Fantasy as DLC and cross over With Final Fantasy Record Keeper the mobile game in an event.
And KHIII is apparently the only game where Tetsuya Nomura is free to do whatever he want, alongside getting resources and Help from Disney themselves (Razpunzel teams/ Pixars etc)

Sora is probably the only Third Party and announcement that I think could Break the Internet once again like Cloud and Sonic.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I kindly disagree with you. Sora IS a big Video Game Icons, just for the mere fact it's the child of the cross-over of Disney AND Final fantasy. Kingdom Heart Popularity only goes up, to the point where it trump 95% of the Marvel/Movie/Cartoon announcement in a DISNEY event in term of hype, and Disney themselves seems to know about it since some years ago...Probably the last two three years?

Where they were willing to let Sora Appear in World of Final Fantasy as DLC and cross over With Final Fantasy Record Keeper the mobile game in an event.
And KHIII is apparently the only game where Tetsuya Nomura is free to do whatever he want, alongside getting resources and Help from Disney themselves (Razpunzel teams/ Pixars etc)

Sora is probably the only Third Party and announcement that I think could Break the Internet once again like Cloud and Sonic.
The dream would be to get the announcement that Sora is coming to Smash along with news that KHIII is being ported to the Switch.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
...I still think a single directional airdodge that doesn't put you into special fall would be the best.

You can still use moves afterwards to further cover a landing/recovery but it kinda makes you think before you throw one out since it won't always be the best option.
Rivals of Aether and the Artful Phoenix mod for Sm4sh show this pretty well.

I have to say I prefer the special fall system though. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it always made the most sense to me. Being able to airdodge upwards then use a recovery feels OP.

kylexv

Smash Master
Saying my goodbye to RidleyBoards. It was a big April Fools effort for the SmashBoards and, as I can tell, it had a BIG payoff

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Air_dodge
I got this 4 u
"However, air dodges now produce a significant landing lag of 21 frames as the character lands with an air dodge active, even during vulnerability frames, making air dodges easier to punish on land, and thus riskier to use close to the ground."
Yeah. It adds MORE lag when the air dodge isn't finished.

But it still adds lag even its if finished. Just less. Comparable to the lag an attack has when you land after the animation is finished.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah. It adds MORE lag when the air dodge isn't finished.

But it still adds lag even its if finished. Just less. Comparable to the lag an attack has when you land after the animation is finished.
You are wrong.

Every action in the game has an amount of time it can add landing lag, once that time is done it will not add landing lag anymore. The only actions that go against this rule are very specific Up-Bs (Like ZSS' and Mario's) and Bayo's Up-B and Side-B.

You might be confused because the amount of time an action can add landing lag is often times greater than the duration of the action itself. Like aerials, which can last 25 frames in the air but you get extra landing lag if you land anytime before frame 30. Landing after frame 30 though means 0 extra lag.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Regarding Captain Toad, if he gets in as playable, why not just call him "Toad" and give him both the iconic outfit and the Captain Toad alternative costume? That way everyone is happy. He could even use the pickaxe from the Captain Toad games without going through the convoluted "no jumping" mechanic.
The whole point is that Captain Toad is one of the more memorable Nintendo characters/games of the 2014-2016 era. Having him be a generic Toad or pretending he's just Toad by removing the "Captain" title would take away his personality. All the personality and move set potential derives from the Captain Toad persona and it's essential that it does in order to justify his inclusion.

A lot of us consider Captain Toad to be the only version of Toad that's even on the table when it comes to probable characters. Having both versions of Toad is neither a reasonable or doable compromise. Having normal Toad takes away the headlamp as an ability and it makes the references to the Captain Toad games and music out of place as well as the lethargic personality of Captain Toad. It's not as simple as a model swap. So everyone's not happy. Some people don't want a generic Toad. They want Captain Toad and for good reason because he actually has an identity and unique character traits. Toad has nothing that isn't desperately shoe horned into him by woefully desperate fan made move set concepts.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

I agree. I think Sora is the best option for a new guest character. I would see him as the most likely guest character, but who knows if Sakurai would be able to get the right to use him in the way he wants.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
It will remain for the truly dedicated

View attachment 140308
TFW no premium

Boo! Long live Ridley and may he return soon (fingers crossed for E3).

Rivals of Aether is actually a really tight game mechanically. Dan Fornace really knows what he is doing.
Agreed. Although I don't think porting mechanics from it works great in Smash without redesigning all of the characters to work around it. RoA has no ledge grabbing and most of the recoveries aren't great so the airdodge system works fine there.

One of my main complaints with AF is just how overpowered every character's recovery is with the RoA system. To be gimped you have to either be Little Mac or going way too far off to ever have recovered anyways.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You are wrong.

Every action in the game has an amount of time it can add landing lag, once that time is done it will not add landing lag anymore. The only actions that go against this rule are very specific Up-Bs (Like ZSS' and Mario's) and Bayo's Up-B and Side-B.

You might be confused because the amount of time an action can add landing lag is often times greater than the duration of the action itself. Like aerials, which can last 25 frames in the air but you get extra landing lag if you land anytime before frame 30. Landing after frame 30 though means 0 extra lag.
Are you sure?

Cause like, unless air dodges have a LOT of extra landing lag frames, it always seems to happen even after long drops after the air dodge.

Are you sure that there's no difference in lag between an empty jump and a jump that had an action (but finished the action) in it?

Coulda sworn.

Maybe I am wrong I guess.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Captain Toad's inability to jump is not an obstacle. It just makes for a more interesting fighter who works around the rules to recover. There are other ways to recover or "jump" without jumping. Like Captain Toad being abducted by Wingo, making him just as agile as any other character with wings.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I honestly still believe the best middle ground for Captain Toad would be to just make them unable to double jump.

Aerials are pretty important parts of the game and he'd feel like much less of a character without having the part of the moveset, but I also definitely disagree with taking out his gimmick of the inability to completely jump (the main difference of how he plays in his games compared to other mario characters)

I also disagree with the idea of just making them a generic toad. Captain Toad / Archivist Toadette are pretty specific characters, along with Hint Toad and a few other characters that happen to be toads.

It'd be like just putting a generic Waddle Dee with no significance in Smash instead of Bandana Dee, doesn't really make sense when you have enough to work with already from the character.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Captain Toad's inability to jump is not an obstacle. It just makes for a more interesting fighter who works around the rules to recover. There are other ways to recover or "jump" without jumping. Like Captain Toad being abducted by Wingo, making him just as agile as any other character with wings.
As cool as it would be to be able to have Captain Toad without any jumps there is no way that Sakurai is going to have a character that can not jump in the game. He will at least have a jump that is like Little Mac's, short and demonstrative of his weak/inability to jump due to his backpack.

Alternatively, as some people have suggested many pages back, just stick some flavour text in his trophy description saying that he packed light in preparation for Smash, thus allowing him to jump. He can have a whacky, creative recovery, but he will need to have at least some semblance of a jump.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Are you sure?

Cause like, unless air dodges have a LOT of extra landing lag frames, it always seems to happen even after long drops after the air dodge.

Are you sure that there's no difference in lag between an empty jump and a jump that had an action (but finished the action) in it?

Coulda sworn.

Maybe I am wrong I guess.
I am very confident of it. I won't say I am 100% sure because I have never tested it myself on a vacuum, but I read a ton of frame data and theory of the game and I feel like if it was a thing, I would know. Also, if the game worked that way then L-Cancelling would in fact be a thing in Smash 4, except it would be A-Landing L-Cancelling.

A-Landing is a technique that eliminates landing lag by landing on the "auto cancel" frames of your aerials (which 90% of the chars have at least 1 aerial that auto cancels). If persistent landing lag was in fact a mechanic, then everyone would have to use A-Landing to eliminate that lag all the time.

Instead A-Landing is a technique that is only used when you Air Dodge too close to the ground, specifically because you want to eliminate the lag from the Air Dodge (or for some specific characters it can also be used to eliminate the lag from certain aerials, like Roy, who can make his F-Air landing lag 11 instead of 13). The fact that you can perform A-Landing proves the point I was talking about earlier, where the Air Dodge is already done and you can perform an aerial, but landing would still make you lag from the Air Dodge.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
All this talk about airdodging just proves one thing.

Airdodging is stupid and complicated.

Remove it. We 64 boys

CBO0tz

Smash Lord

Well, I'm also a bit biased in my opinion to not include Sora.. I'd probably put him in my Smash 5 Top 10 Most Wanted DLC.

Also, Toad would be interesting. Makes me wonder if they're gonna change Peach's Neutral B..

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sora won't get in for one reason, DISNEY, I doubt Disney will license their created characters for a fighting game, and no Disney characters = No Kingdom Hearts. Plus with Nintendo's deal with Universal, there will be Smash Bros featured in Nintendoland Hollywood and Nintendoland Florida in some way eventually, and I don't think Disney would want to promote their main competitor in one of their big moneymaking industries, anyway

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You know, Smash 5 could just add a dedicated "Dash" button like MvC, DBFZ, GG or any "Air Dasher" game.

1-) If you land during a dash you retain the momentum.
2-) When dashing backwards you don't turn around.
3-) During dash animations you can't dodge, shield or perform another dash but you can perform any other action with no lag.
4-) For balancing purposes: Air Dashes share their "charge" with mid air jumps. If you dash, you cannot jump, if you jump you cannot dash. You only get 1 dash until you touch the ground (Possibly characters with extra jumps could also get extra dashes).

There..., Wavedashing (and also Perfect Pivoting and Wavelanding too) with a 1 button input.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I'm also a bit biased in my opinion to not include Sora.. I'd probably put him in my Smash 5 Top 10 Most Wanted DLC.

Also, Toad would be interesting. Makes me wonder if they're gonna change Peach's Neutral B..
I just want her Neutral B changed if only for something more useful.

I know the game is less relevant than before, but I'd really like it if she had moves from her solo game. It was pretty fun if not easy as hell.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Oh boy, we talkin bout Captain Toad's jumping capabilities again? :estatic:

I personally like the idea of him being able to pack and unpack his backpack. If you fill it up to the max you can't jump and your less agile, but your very heavy, and having it completely empty let's you jump high and you become more agile, but your very light.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never really wanted Toad playable, but if he was, I imagine a big deal regarding his movement is that he's pretty fast on the ground and air, but he has trash jumps just like Mario 2/3D World. And his specials could borrow from the NSMB games, like the Propeller Hat and Ice Flower.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You know, Smash 5 could just add a dedicated "Dash" button like MvC, DBFZ, GG or any "Air Dasher" game.

1-) In the air, you can dash in any direction (like Fox's Firefox or Melee Air Dodge).
2-) If you land from a Dash you retain the momentum.
3-) When dashing backwards you don't turn around.
4-) During dash animations you can't dodge, shield or perform another dash but you can perform any other action with no lag.
5-) For balancing purposes: Air Dashes share their "charge" with mid air jumps. If you dash, you cannot jump, if you jump you cannot dash. You only get 1 dash until you touch the ground (Possibly characters with extra jumps could also get extra dashes).

There..., Wavedashing (and also Perfect Pivoting and Wavelanding too) with a 1 button input.
Honestly good.

I was advocating wavedashing because of the simplicity of a movement option, but this just simplifies it further.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Look, I seriously doubt most of us Captain Toad fans are gonna go ''BUT WAAA HE CAN'T JUMP WAAA."

Can we please drop this? Like it's the dumbest thing to ask them to remain faithful to. Sonic can swim. Multiple characters have had their size decreased or increased.

Like him being to not jump in his game is not even the most part of his game to begin with.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Yet for now, Shaqboards remains only in our hearts. ;_;

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more, bring Shaq to the boards
And my money I'll give
As my premium goes on and on
Read that with Celine Dion singing in my head.

1-) If you land during a dash you retain the momentum.
2-) When dashing backwards you don't turn around.
3-) During dash animations you can't dodge, shield or perform another dash but you can perform any other action with no lag.
4-) For balancing purposes: Air Dashes share their "charge" with mid air jumps. If you dash, you cannot jump, if you jump you cannot dash. You only get 1 dash until you touch the ground (Possibly characters with extra jumps could also get extra dashes).

That's a neat idea.. But Idk that would change part of Smash's system in a pretty big way

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also I'm realizing. God I'm an old **** when it comes to posting on this board. I remember Shaqboards, Knucklesboards, Emblemboards, and now Ridleyboards.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
99% sure this is just a larper, but because we love digging into this kind of stuff, these "leaks" were going around earler.

Newcomer list:
インクリング
キングクルール
ディクシーコング
リドリー
ワルイージ
ジュナイパー
鷹丸
不来方夕莉
レックス & ホムラ
シャンティ
ボンバーマン
トラヴィス・タッチダウン
風間 仁
???

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Read that with Celine Dion singing in my head.

That's a neat idea.. But Idk that would change part of Smash's system in a pretty big way
Yea, it would change a lot. It would do the exact same thing as adding Wavedash (it literally has the same physics and uses), only it's much easier to grasp conceptually and it's a 1 button input instead of 2 buttons + direction.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Captain Toad would be able to jump but on the flip side he might be a super heavy weight which would be ****ing awesome and make perfect sense. I’d totally dig a tiny super heavyweight.
Also I'm realizing. God I'm an old **** when it comes to posting on this board. I remember Shaqboards, Knucklesboards, Emblemboards, and now Ridleyboards.
Retroboards/Smash World Network was my ****ing jam. Speaking of, why ain’t that and Shaqboards a choice for Premiums? Memory issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom