• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
April Fool's joke? I don't understand, this is how Ridleyboards has always looked. Been this way for at least 5 years

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Of course I get the Other M Ridley for my crimes.

Hopefully Super Ridley Bros. for Switch will buff Super Metroid Ridley to a viable level so I can main them without feeling at a disadvantage to my OM and Proteus Ridley peers.

Why does Sakamoto refuse to listen to the true competitive fanbase?

I also recently discovered I read generally everyone's posts by their icons moreso than usernames and now I've got no idea who most of you are, lol.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
After all of these years of teasing, do you think they'll finally unveil Ridley's shadow as playable? In a week it will mark the 4 year anniversary of the tease, I'm still waiting Nintendo.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I just searched a picture of Bewear and I still have no idea who he is. I've never seen him in any Nintendo Direct (maybe I did and don't remember, lol), Advertisement, Promotion or even popular plushies (which I've seen a TON of Lycanroc and Mimikyu plushies).

I get that he might be in every anime episode, but it seems to me like anyone who isn't watching the anime is going to be lost as to who this Pokemon is.

Or am I wrong in asuming so?

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I just searched a picture of Bewear and I still have no idea who he is. I've never seen him in any Nintendo Direct (maybe I did and don't remember, lol), Advertisement, Promotion or even popular plushies (which I've seen a TON of Lycanroc and Mimikyu plushies).

I get that he might be in every anime episode, but it seems to me like anyone who isn't watching the anime is going to be lost as to who this Pokemon is.

Or am I wrong in asuming so?
While it's unlikely a Pokemon will every get into Super Ridley Bros. (Kirby is already an outlier just because Samus has appeared in one Kirby game!), Bewear does in fact have a very big fanbase and I would likely say they have some of the biggest presence of any of the Gen VII Pokemon.

I would also guess a very large portion of Ridley Bros.' target audience has watched the Pokemon anime. It is the biggest grossing media franchise of all time, of course. (Behind the obvious Ridley Prime series, which is just so big it's not even worth comparing to!)

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Because, marketing is meant to target people who DON'T know about a certain product. So while you might see X or Y marketing, the marketing that counts is the marketing that is actually effective at getting people who don't know about the product to learn about it.

If I can tell you that I haven't seen the marketing for Bewear then that means something huge, it means that whatever marketing is out there is having 0 effect. It means that almost every gamer that is not actively playing Pokemon probably is in the same boat as me and has no idea who he is, where as Mimikyu, Lycanroc and Decidueye are basically everywhere you look.
I by no means think Bewear is a likely fighter in the slightest, but just because you claim Bewear has zero advertising, here are several ads that all feature Bewear.
sumointro.jpg

bewearcard.jpg

bewearmimi.jpg
I have more, but I'm only allowed to upload 3 lol. Anyways, Decidueye does not appear in that much, I think I've seen Incineroar in more things than Decidueye. I think he sort of has a mixture of Sceptile syndrome, recency goggles, and muh starter type trio. He wasn't even in the top 6 Gen 7 Pokemon, ranking behind Rowlet, Mimikyu, Primarina, Alolan Vulpix, Lycanroc, and Alolan Raichu AT LEAST. He could've been farther down, but that's as far as I can see. Idk where you're seeing all this Decidueye stuff, but I really only see it when discussing new Pokemon for Smash.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I hope Ridley is in the next Pokemon game, I hated that they teased him in clover only for it to not be him.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Any thoughts on the possible third party newcomer, Ridley Scott?

I think they have a lot of moveset potential and have made some of the biggest franchises ever.

They also recently got a sequel to Blade Runner, which was a series nobody thought would return! I think their chances are very likely this time around.

Xenomorph final Smash, anybody?

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
How about that main character actress from Star Wars: The Last Jedi

What was her name again..?

oh yeah

Daisy RIDLEY

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Well this is a delightful surprise to come back to.

As to the earlier question, I could see myself maining Ridley, for sure. He seems like he’d be a mobile heavyweight with strong air game, and I could always go for that :)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
But honestly, Ridley to Ridley talk.

Which version of Ridley is your favourite? I personally like the super metroid design, and i think they recreated it pretty ok in brawl

Danpal65

Smash Lord

Which version of Ridley is your favourite? I personally like the super metroid design, and i think they recreated it pretty ok in brawl
If you had asked my this this time last year I would have agreed, but I have become really quite smitten with the Proteus Ridley design, it just looks so clean and so purple!

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I by no means think Bewear is a likely fighter in the slightest, but just because you claim Bewear has zero advertising, here are several ads that all feature Bewear.
I have more, but I'm only allowed to upload 3 lol. Anyways, Decidueye does not appear in that much, I think I've seen Incineroar in more things than Decidueye. I think he sort of has a mixture of Sceptile syndrome, recency goggles, and muh starter type trio. He wasn't even in the top 6 Gen 7 Pokemon, ranking behind Rowlet, Mimikyu, Primarina, Alolan Vulpix, Lycanroc, and Alolan Raichu AT LEAST. He could've been farther down, but that's as far as I can see. Idk where you're seeing all this Decidueye stuff, but I really only see it when discussing new Pokemon for Smash.
One of those is a booster box of the card game. There are many Pokemon that have those, no? The first one also has a ton of Pokemon although I will give you that Bewear does appear prominently and bigger, but it's an advertisement that wouldn't tell me he is more important than any other.

The third one is a good example of the advertisement I meant, where it is pretty obvious he is important, I hadn't seen that.

Decidueye mostly around sites, it was a mixture of seeing the leaks, then the announcement of the game, then everyone crying over how cool he is. Then speculation for Pokken, then leaks for Pokken, then actual Pokken reveal. Now Smash speculation. I know I've seen him on Nintendo advertisement too, but it's possible I wasn't realizing how much of what I have seen of him is due to people posting **** (not here in Smashboards, I just arrived here like 2 weeks ago. I meant in my Facebook feed which is filled with Pokemon players).

I have seen stuff for Alolan Raichu and Alolan Vulpix, but only when the game was releasing, I haven't really seen anything since then.

I also have no idea who Primarina is.

Mimikyu and Lycanroc I can say are probably the ones I've seen the most if I don't count my own friends posting stuff.

I think it is good though to have a point of view of an outsider. I still think that it is important to note how that "popularity" transcends outside of current fans. I was trying to point out that I, a person who actually sees a lot of Pokemon news through random means (I don't look up the news, it just comes up) I have no idea who Bewear (or Primarina) is.

Yet I know very well who Lycanroc is, I know who Mimikyu is, I know who Decidueye and Incineroar are (and Rowlet and Litten for that matter) and I know like 10 Alolan Forms including the infamous Executor (I KNOW I wrote that wrong).

Since most of my Pokemon news comes from "Shares" and memes from Pokemon players, a valid theory is that maybe amongst more casual Pokemon players, those 2 Pokemons might not be as popular as you guys might think. Or maybe they are just anime popular and not as popular in the actual game (which makes no sense since most Pokemon are popular from the anime and not from the game, except for maybe starters, unique and legendaries which become popular no matter what).

- When I think about it, Charizard is a starter, Mewtwo is a Legendary, Lucario was unique, Greninja a starter. Although all of them were also very prominent in the anime/movie. Is Bewear/Primarina one of those? I don't know why I have heard so little about them. Primarina sounds like a Legendary, that name just sounds strong.

RESEARCH: NM, I obviously know who Primarina is and have seen it, I just didn't know it's name, lol. I will point out though that for sure I've seen it, much, much less than Incineroar or Decidueye. I mean, I didn't even know it's name. Although, to be fair, I didn't know Decidueye's name until the Pokken speculation either. Incineroar I did learn his name waaaay back before Sun and Moon even released.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Super Metroid is my personal favorite as well. I think its his most iconic design and it's what first comes to mind when I think of him.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Same, although the new Proteus Ridley has a pretty sweet bit of official art. Honestly I wouldn’t mind a Meta-Ridley skin either.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I pity the people still trying to have sensible discussions about smash when they could be talking about RIDLEY!!!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
One of those is a booster box of the card game. There are many Pokemon that have those, no? The first one also has a ton of Pokemon although I will give you that Bewear does appear prominently and bigger, but it's an advertisement that wouldn't tell me he is more important than any other.

The third one is a good example of the advertisement I meant, where it is pretty obvious he is important, I hadn't seen that.

Decidueye mostly around sites, it was a mixture of seeing the leaks, then the announcement of the game, then everyone crying over how cool he is. Then speculation for Pokken, then leaks for Pokken, then actual Pokken reveal. Now Smash speculation. I know I've seen him on Nintendo advertisement too, but it's possible I wasn't realizing how much of what I have seen of him is due to people posting **** (not here in Smashboards, I just arrived here like 2 weeks ago. I meant in my Facebook feed which is filled with Pokemon players).

I have seen stuff for Alolan Raichu and Alolan Vulpix, but only when the game was releasing, I haven't really seen anything since then.

I also have no idea who Primarina is.

Mimikyu and Lycanroc I can say are probably the ones I've seen the most if I don't count my own friends posting stuff.

I think it is good though to have a point of view of an outsider. I still think that it is important to note how that "popularity" transcends outside of current fans. I was trying to point out that I, a person who actually sees a lot of Pokemon news through random means (I don't look up the news, it just comes up) I have no idea who Bewear (or Primarina) is.

Yet I know very well who Lycanroc is, I know who Mimikyu is, I know who Decidueye and Incineroar are (and Rowlet and Litten for that matter) and I know like 10 Alolan Forms including the infamous Executor (I KNOW I wrote that wrong).

Since most of my Pokemon news comes from "Shares" and memes from Pokemon players, a valid theory is that maybe amongst more casual Pokemon players, those 2 Pokemons might not be as popular as you guys might think. Or maybe they are just anime popular and not as popular in the actual game (which makes no sense since most Pokemon are popular from the anime and not from the game, except for maybe starters, unique and legendaries which become popular no matter what).

- When I think about it, Charizard is a starter, Mewtwo is a Legendary, Lucario was unique, Greninja a starter. Although all of them were also very prominent in the anime/movie. Is Bewear/Primarina one of those? I don't know why I have heard so little about them. Primarina sounds like a Legendary, that name just sounds strong.

RESEARCH: NM, I obviously know who Primarina is and have seen it, I just didn't know it's name, lol. I will point out though that for sure I've seen it, much, much less than Incineroar or Decidueye. I mean, I didn't even know it's name. Although to be fair, I didn't know Decidueye's name until the Pokken speculation either. Incineroar I did learn his name waaaay back before Sun and Moon even released.
Well for context, me listing those 6 Pokemon above Decidueye was an actual poll taken, not Pokemon that I just perceive as more popular.
OptIIYvl.jpg
Bewear was literally just an example of a Pokemon I see far more often in Pokemon advertising, not necessarily something I think is more likely/reasonable than Decidueye. My entire point is that your perceived popularity of Decidueye seems to be heavily linked to the people you see on FB which, while it means something, certainly does not equate to the larger population of Western Pokemon fans, or even Japan as a whole. And bringing up the point of Decidueye advertising for Pokken, that was a fairly recent development. There's a substantial chance Sakurai didn't have any idea Decidueye was going to be in Pokken until we officially knew, as he has absolutely nothing to do with development of that game. I doubt someone called Sakurai up one day before he was announced to let him know Decidueye was going to be in that game, nor do I think he cares who appears in that game.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Yeah, but that isn't Ridley directly. That's indirectly talking about Ridley.

RIDLEY needs to be the focus of conversation
So what we really should be talking about is what content we might see in the next Ridley: Samus Hunter game then? Fair enough.

I would imagine we may see the new Meta Samus form who Ridley must defeat to gain his Pogo Tail Power-Up.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I pity the people still trying to have sensible discussions about smash when they could be talking about RIDLEY!!!
I would much rather be talking about as BIG a topic as Ridley, but I don't want the other conversation to go unresolved :p

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Plot twist: a surprise direct trailer goes up later today that confirms Ridley for Smash only for it to be taken as a mean April Fool's joke all the way up until the release where he's actually playable in the game.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Plot twist: a surprise direct trailer goes up later today that confirms Ridley for Smash only for it to be taken as a mean April Fool's joke all the way up until the release where he's actually playable in the game.
Remember when they announced Lucas and the Smash Ballot on April 1st?

It's more likely than you think.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well for context, me listing those 6 Pokemon above Decidueye was an actual poll taken, not Pokemon that I just perceive as more popular.
Bewear was literally just an example of a Pokemon I see far more often in Pokemon advertising, not necessarily something I think is more likely/reasonable than Decidueye. My entire point is that your perceived popularity of Decidueye seems to be heavily linked to the people you see on FB which, while it means something, certainly does not equate to the larger population of Western Pokemon fans, or even Japan as a whole. And bringing up the point of Decidueye advertising for Pokken, that was a fairly recent development. There's a substantial chance Sakurai didn't have any idea Decidueye was going to be in Pokken until we officially knew, as he has absolutely nothing to do with development of that game. I doubt someone called Sakurai up one day before he was announced to let him know Decidueye was going to be in that game, nor do I think he cares who appears in that game.
My discussion wasn't as much which Pokemon will make it into Smash, it was more of a: From an outsider's point of view, which new Pokemon's have become popular enough to reach someone who doesn't know anything about Sun/Moon.

So I was merely debating whether Bewear was popular or not, not really saying that Decidueye is the obvious pick for Smash.

Rowlet did top that list you sent, it could very well be that I was seeing Rowlet everywhere and associating him with Decidueye and then assuming that Decidueye was the most popular Sun/Moon Pokemon, when it was in fact Rowlet (although to be fair, it's not like associating them is so wrong on my part).

All of my arguments are honestly very bad and have no real proof or solid base to stand on. My original point was that I had never heard the name Bewear before coming to Smashboards ever and I have a bunch of friends who play Pokemon Sun and Moon and post about it all the time, so I would argue that he isn't as popular as all those other Pokemons people keep talking about.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I remember saying on April 1st 2015 while I was away and couldn't watch the direct that they released that day, "What if Lucas got revealed for Smash and we're just not there to see it?"

My mind was blown later that day when I actually saw the reveal, although I was petrified that it was possibly a joke.

Of course, that was just a dream. We all know Lucas could never get into Super Ridley Bros.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

RIDLEY!
RIDLEY!
RIDLEY!!!!
If a Ridley Smash Bros. Switch trailer was announced where Ridley became a fighter, oh how much RidleyBoards would grow.... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom