• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Whilst this King K. Rool discussion is still fresh, there's something I'd like to add. Nothing to do with moveset etc (I love the character, if you don't then I doubt I'll convince you).

All I want to mention is that King K Rool DOES have an Easter Egg in tropical freeze.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just a reminder to keep it civil. Things have gotten a bit too heated. Let's calm down and remember to be constructive about our opinions.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Zelda's biggest flaw IMO is that all her aerial attacks require a great degree of precision or timing to get down. They're powerful sure but most character have one or two powerful aerials while the rest rack up damage or cover them. It's redundant to give her a high risk sweet spot attack on front and back when one of the simplest high level play moves is turning yourself backwards to get the back air attack on a foe in front.

I'm thinking the forward lighting kick should be replaced with a magical swipe or something but what does everyone else think?
An aerial version of ftilt would probably be the easiest way to replace the current fair, though I'd prefer something a little more disjointed.
Up smash is also painfully blasé. Of all the things to take inspiration from OoT and they don't take that animation where she holds both her hands up high to create that light orb for a nice disjoint up smash? A travesty.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Whilst this King K. Rool discussion is still fresh, there's something I'd like to add. Nothing to do with moveset etc (I love the character, if you don't then I doubt I'll convince you).

All I want to mention is that King K Rool DOES have an Easter Egg in tropical freeze.

Wait is that rock cliff him/??

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Why nobody is defend a 1080 character? Every single day we discuss the same characters....Ridley/K.Rool/Captain Toad...Let be creative people!

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Xenoblade characters, perhaps?
Not this game. At most, there will be 2 characters. It is possible that over time it could be. Xenoblade games have been (mostly) self-contained like Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem, so it could run into the same issue. But not in this game.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Honestly, I think Xenoblade could have 3 characters if they really felt like it. One character per game, just like Kid Icarus.

(I doubt it would happen, just saying it's possible)

D

Deleted member

Why nobody is defend a 1080 character? Every single day we discuss the same characters....Ridley/K.Rool/Captain Toad...Let be creative people!

The reason why we discuss Ridley, King K. Rool and Captain Toad is because that they are highly requested compared to your character. There are good character ideas, but the more highly requested characters are going to be talked about in this thread. :p

D

Deleted member

This is going to be a very boring speculation period if we don't get pics of the day, a website update or anything soon tbh.
Oh just you will wait.
We will get another picture of Luigi's nose again. :troll:

In all seriousness, I am sure they will have events and posts from Sakurai like "Picture of the Day". :p

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This is going to be a very boring speculation period if we don't get pics of the day, a website update or anything soon tbh.
See, here's the thing. Nintendo never does their E3 presentation on the first day of the event. It's always the second or third day. Yet, the Smash Bros. invitational is on the first day of E3. With that in mind, unless they want to just debut gameplay right there at the invitational, which sounds like a weird choice, they're gonna have to show us something before E3.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got quite a bit of time to catch up today, currently on page 689. Just wanted to throw out a quick thought that came to mind.

So with cuts, we know that for the most part, we only get them due to time constraints. Mewtwo, Doc and Roy were planned for Brawl and I believe Mewtwo was always planned to be in Sm4sh? He wasn't a high enough priority to make the base roster but the 50 fact extravaganza which confirmed Mewtwo as dlc was somewhere close to the launch of the Wii U version of Sm4sh.

Anyways, we also know that clones don't take a lot of dev time at all to make and are often added at the end of development, simply due to the dev team having enough time to make some quick clones rather than a full blown unique character. I'm pretty sure I've read on here that with Melee, it was either we got :falcomelee::drmario::pichumelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee: or we got like 1 unique character instead. We also know that :4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina: were added at the very end of Sm4sh's development as clones rather than alts because the dev team had enough time.

I bring this up because, I'm thinking that with Doc being cut from Brawl but the fact that we know he was planned, that tells me that clones are rarely ever just not considered, but that they're always a consideration at the end if the dev team has enough time. People mentioned how Sonic's late inclusion was possibly the reason Mewtwo never returned in Brawl and I wonder if that also affected Doc and Roy. Look at the 3 last characters added to Brawl other than Sonic: :wolf::toonlink::jigglypuff:. A semi-clone of Fox, Link and Kirby respectively. All very easy to add near the end. I'm not sure where the likes of Ganondorf, Falco and Lucas were added in Brawl but if they were added late, that would further support this theory. Plus Toon Link was the successor to Young Link so I wonder if that's when they were in the process of adding the last Melee clones (save for Pichu I believe?)

This gets me thinking that IF Smash for Switch runs into any time constraints for whatever reason, we could very well lose Doc again and also lose Dark Pit and Lucina. Maybe even Lucas and Roy too. They're easy to make and so could very well just be saved for at the end if they have the time. That's not to say I think we'll lose all of them but we could lose some just as we lost some of the Melee clones going into Brawl.

However, the silver lining to this is that since we have such little information on Smash for Switch, we have no idea when exactly they started development for this game and have no idea of what could possibly hold them back, if anything. Melee was rushed, Brawl had the SSE and Sonic and Sm4sh had to be made for 2 consoles. As far as we're aware, nothing should be causing issues for this Smash title and so the clones should be safe.

I know this may be obvious since everyone pretty much agrees that if anyone is to be cut, the clones'll be first but the 'why' is always answered as just because they're clones. I feel like I got an epiphany that everyone else got ages ago but clones are likely cut purely because they're seen as easy to make and therefore saved for the end if time is available. And for a final note, I have no idea how alts work into all of this. Do we know when Doc, Lucina, Dark Pit and Alph were initially made in Sm4sh's development? Like, were the first 3 modeled early on with just the thought of them being alts and they happened to have time at the end or were they made at the end and after the models were made, they realized they had more time to give them some gameplay differences?

Sorry for the long post, seemed a lot shorter in my head but I wanted to clarify my thoughts namely due to seeing a lot of TheLastJinjo's posts mentioning how he dislikes people saying the clones will be cut just because they're clones. So the TL;DR is that the clones could be cut because I believe they are largely saved just for the end of development if the dev team has time whether they're veterans or not.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Oh just you will wait.
We will get another picture of Luigi's nose again. :troll:

In all seriousness, I am sure they will have events and posts from Sakurai like "Picture of the Day". :p
lol, I remember when X/Y came out or something like that, and all of us were expecting a Pokemon veteran or newcomer to be announced, but we got a pic of Wii Fit Trainer's butt.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So F-Air with a larger one but weaker and B-air with a smaller and more powerful one?
Personally, I think that Zelda's f-air and b-air should both deal the same amount of damage and knockback. The animations would have to be manipulated so that the hitboxes are active at exactly the same periods though.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
lol, I remember when X/Y came out or something like that, and all of us were expecting a Pokemon veteran or newcomer to be announced, but we got a pic of Wii Fit Trainer's butt.
Sakurai gives the people what he knows they truly desire

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Like how Samus can change her weapon by taunting in PM.
Shulk needs to have some kind of directional input for his neutral special. Or something that can make switching between them less confusing in the heat of the game.

PF9

Smash Lord
I was just thinking of something. What if Sirius XM had a channel dedicated to video game music? Would that be awesome?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I thought we got a pic of Xerneas saying "Nothing X and Y related here"

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
The reason why we discuss Ridley, King K. Rool and Captain Toad is because that they are highly requested compared to your character. There are good character ideas, but the more highly requested characters are going to be talked about in this thread. :p
I know that and understand, but talk about them ALL the time makes a tiring discussion.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I thought we were getting more info monday, but someone just retweeted a tweet from 2014
Good to see other people fell for that. Someone pulled the same thing on my Twitter feed and I got really excited for a few moments.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
As much as I feel we shouldn't open this floodgate, I think Goku would be a pretty hype character.
On the topic of Goku, I thought of something interesting.

Everyone knows that Goku shouldn't be in Smash because he didn't originate in video games. However, what do people think of characters that star in games based of manga/anime, but debuted in said game?

For example, Android 21. Technically she's a manga/anime character since she's in a Dragon Ball game, but since her only appearance (so far) is in that game, is she technically a video game character first?

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
On the topic of Goku, I thought of something interesting.

Everyone knows that Goku shouldn't be in Smash because he didn't originate in video games. However, what do people think of characters that star in games based of manga/anime, but debuted in said game?

For example, Android 21. Technically she's a manga/anime character since she's in a Dragon Ball game, but since her only appearance (so far) is in that game, is she technically a video game character first?
Characters like Android 21 would be cool, but there would definitely be backlash in not having the main character of the show in instead of a character that's only appeared once in a noncanon game.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Characters like Android 21 would be cool, but there would definitely be backlash in not having the main character of the show in instead of a character that's only appeared once in a noncanon game.
Yeah, true. I was just thinking if someone like A21 counted as a video game character for the purposes of Smash.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so i wanted to bring up something that hasn't been discussed. what about the stage builder? brawl's stage builder was very creative and gave a lot of options. smash 4's stage builder was atrocious. plus not having to put blocks down was a downgrade. using the wii u gamepad was really flawed. it just didn't feel right. what do you think smash 6's stage builder will be like? do you prefer brawls stage builder, or are you guys a fan of the wii u versions stage builder?

Last edited:

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
so i wanted to bring up something that hasn't been discussed. what abhout the stage builder? brawl's stage builder was very creative and gave a lot of options. smash 4's stage builder was atrocious. plus not having to put blocks down was a downgrade. using the wii u gamepad was really flawed. it just didn't feel right. what do you think smash 6's stage builder will be like? do you prefer brawls stage builder, or are you guys a fan of the wii u versions stage builder?
Wii-U's stage builder wasn't that great. I feel that they didn't add enough building options to it and using the gamepad to draw the stage was absolutely awful. My Wii U gamepad (Now destroyed for better or worse) had replacement screen on it which was not callibrated correctly. I don't own brawl so I cant tell you my opinion but I'm pretty sure Smash 5 (assuming it's not a port) will have a stage builder. But even without the stage builder, I don't think it would really affect the selling point of the game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
All in good time.

I hope.

Several topics and arguments in speculation are gonna be repeating themselves (some surely already have) until we get some new info.

Updates of any kind are gonna be necessary but I really do hope we get something similar to the pic of the day as well (minus the filler pics; unless we get something leading to a joke as legendary as Alfonzo.)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Shulk needs to have some kind of directional input for his neutral special. Or something that can make switching between them less confusing in the heat of the game.
I mean.

It's just remembering how many times you pressed B.

There's a set pattern. It isn't that hard.

Besides, directional inputs sound like they could make other special moves come out on accident.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

1080 or wave race needs a character, or at least an assist trophy. It'd be one of those crazy out-of-nowhere reveals.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yeah, true. I was just thinking if someone like A21 counted as a video game character for the purposes of Smash.
The way I see it, the franchise matters more than the actual character in this case.

If A21 is from a Dragon Ball game, that still puts them under the Dragon Ball umbrella, which, considering rights would be a ***** to get, is ultimately the dealbreaker.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
So, I’m confused. What is everyone’s problem with Bayonetta again? I don’t really understand it. I’ve seen plenty of people be able to beat her, and I’m talking people who are really good with her.

Or is it just the competitive scene who hates her?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So, I’m confused. What is everyone’s problem with Bayonetta again? I don’t really understand it. I’ve seen plenty of people be able to beat her, and I’m talking people who are really good with her.

Or is it just the competitive scene who hates her?
From what I hear people hate Bayonetta because she isn't iconic in the gaming scene. The likes of Snake, Sonic, PAC-MAN, Mega Man, Ryu, and even Cloud are all gaming legends with legacy and iconicness. Bayonetta on the other hand doesn't really have any of that, and sticks out like a sore thumb. Cloud gets some flack for this to, but not to the same extent.

Not that I dislike her inclusion. Just stating the facts as they are.

I do find it a bit odd that those same people can't piece together that since Bayonetta got in only because she won the ballot, she's the exception and not the rule.

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Wii-U's stage builder wasn't that great. I feel that they didn't add enough building options to it and using the gamepad to draw the stage was absolutely awful. My Wii U gamepad (Now destroyed for better or worse) had replacement screen on it which was not callibrated correctly. I don't own brawl so I cant tell you my opinion but I'm pretty sure Smash 5 (assuming it's not a port) will have a stage builder. But even without the stage builder, I don't think it would really affect the selling point of the game.
Now that I think about it we don't have the gamepad anymore so I'm thinking we won't have to draw this time around. It may end up being more like brawls.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman

Here's my roster as of March 30th.
I'm open to a few alternate choices like I listed in the image, but there are others that I'm fine with not making it in if someone else does. For example, I'm always going to be a Ridley supporter, but at this point, I'd take Dark Samus.
Honestly, I don't think there are many characters they could add that I'd be disappointed with aside from Minecraft Steve & Goku.

17 Newcomers:
Captain Toad [or Paper Mario]
Waluigi
Vaati
K Rool [or Dixie]
Decidueye
Ridley
Rex & Pyra
Bandana Dee [or Marx[
Celica [or any new FE rep]
Excite Biker [or any retro]
Black Shadow [if they rework Ganondorf]
Inkling
Spring Man
Dillon
Chibi Robo
Rayman
Geno [or other Square rep]

I would actually be all for this roster. Would you consider Isaac a "retro" character at this point? EDIT: How did you design this? It is really polished!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom