• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Steering away from character discussion, would anyone like to see a story mode, akin to SSE in Brawl? That would be great.
I think we will in fact get it.
And a step above that, I think it will be serialized, so as to keep the spoilers from coming.
In fact, it would continually build hype and keep the community talking, about what is happening next.

Honestly, this would be a big advancement in general for the gaming industry. Video games being the fastest growing entertainment medium, I would love to have pop culture continuing to hype different story telling modes that have been popular for decades.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Wouldn't mind either way if it were a direct SSE squeal, or if it was an entirely new story.

The SSE started out with villain characters vs hero characters. but eventually the villains and heroes teamed up against a greater threat. It's be interesting if they directly went with the Heroes vs Villains dynamic. Of course, there's bound to be more hero characters than villains, but that's where the minions and bosses come to fill in the gaps.
Hopefully there's an increase in villain newcomers then!

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Any time a character is described as "being like this other character," unless it is a Lucas/Ness situation, I completely tune out. I don't want a new character that feels like a new one.
They are similar, but still quite different. Infernape focuses on using Mach Punch in different ways; it can even transform elemental punches into Mach Punches.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They are similar, but still quite different. Infernape focuses on using Mach Punch in different ways; it can even transform elemental punches into Mach Punches.
You're speaking purely out of desire, and not in any way thinking Infernape will actually make it in.... correct?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
You're speaking purely out of desire, and not in any way thinking Infernape will actually make it in.... correct?
Yeah, it was just my response to someone's question about which Fire starter we'd want.
Out of the veteran non-clone characters, what special moves would you like to change?

I'm not including clones bc I'd guess that most of us would like a decloning overhaul.

The move that comes to mind for me (probably because I'm playing Star Allies) is Kirby's side+b. I think it was cool in Melee because Dedede wasn't there, but now that he is here, I don't think Kirby needs the Hammer ability. I would really like to see some of the other powers from Kirby get utilized. I would personally like to see Staff take it's place. Kirby could use the pole-vault move. It would give him a fast horizontal recovery move with decent range. I think it would have Kirby do a kick after vaulting, and end with him in free-fall so he can't use both side B and up B in the same recovery sequence.
A lot of moves, really:
:4fox:Fox Flash, Fire Fox, Reflector all to weapons from Star Fox
:4jigglypuff:Rollout switches with Sing, Rollout is recovery if used in the air
:4pikachu:Thunder Jolt to Thunder Shock
:4dk:Spinning Kong to Giant Flower, Headbutt to Coconut Shooter
:4sonic:Spin Charge to Bounce Attack
:4kirby:Hammer Flip, Final Cutter, Stone to other Copy Abilities
:4ness:PK Fire to Paralysis, PK Thunder to Teleport, PSI Magnet to Shield
:4lucas:PK Freeze to PK Flash, PK Fire to Counter, PK Thunder to Offense Up, PSI Magnet to Refresh

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Out of the veteran non-clone characters, what special moves would you like to change?

I'm not including clones bc I'd guess that most of us would like a decloning overhaul.

The move that comes to mind for me (probably because I'm playing Star Allies) is Kirby's side+b. I think it was cool in Melee because Dedede wasn't there, but now that he is here, I don't think Kirby needs the Hammer ability. I would really like to see some of the other powers from Kirby get utilized. I would personally like to see Staff take it's place. Kirby could use the pole-vault move. It would give him a fast horizontal recovery move with decent range. I think it would have Kirby do a kick after vaulting, and end with him in free-fall so he can't use both side B and up B in the same recovery sequence.
Maybe change Yoshi and Kirby's FS to the Eggdozer from New Island and the Hypernova from Triple Deluxe, respectively?

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Hopefully there's an increase in villain newcomers then!
This is my biggest hope for Smash 5. It seriously needs more villains.

There's just so many options; K. Rool, Ridley, Sylux, Hades, Black Knight, Marx, Black Shadow and/or Deathborn, Porky, the Masked Man, Yuga (or really any Zelda villain), or a Sonic villain like Eggman would even be nice.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I'm gonna make a prediction.

Ice Climbers will be back, but, I think they won't be seperate-able. I think they will still walk and attack side by side, but they will always be together. I could see this as something Sakurai would do to more easily balance stuff with them, and I forsee a lot of anger towards that decision if it happens.
How are you supposed to kill them if they aren't seperateable?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Steering away from character discussion, would anyone like to see a story mode, akin to SSE in Brawl? That would be great.
The Subspace Emissary was a fun mode back in Brawl - one of the few good things about it imo - though I would like to see a few changes made to it. I did enjoy that a bunch of original enemies were used, but there were no Nintendo enemies aside from Bowser's minions, which would have made things infinitely more interesting. I also actively disliked how no locations aside from Halberd originated from Nintendo and, on top of that, were almost always boring. Why couldn't we go to the Mushroom Kingdom, Dream Land, or Hyrule?

That being said, I'd still enjoy a new mode like Subspace Emissary.

Give Wario a Wario Land-style overhaul. And give Bowser Koopa Klaw back; it was so much cooler.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yeah, it was just my response to someone's question about which Fire starter we'd want.

A lot of moves, really:
:4fox:Fox Flash, Fire Fox, Reflector all to weapons from Star Fox
:4jigglypuff:Rollout switches with Sing, Rollout is recovery if used in the air
:4pikachu:Thunder Jolt to Thunder Shock
:4dk:Spinning Kong to Giant Flower, Headbutt to Coconut Shooter
:4sonic:Spin Charge to Bounce Attack
:4kirby:Hammer Flip, Final Cutter, Stone to other Copy Abilities
:4ness:PK Fire to Paralysis, PK Thunder to Teleport, PSI Magnet to Shield
:4lucas:PK Freeze to PK Flash, PK Fire to Counter, PK Thunder to Offense Up, PSI Magnet to Refresh
I was definitely hoping people would do more than one. As far as Fox goes, I think Reflector is fine. But I agree that he could use some other changes. I think both Jigg's Up B and Neutral B need gutted. They're both terrible and could be turned into fairy moves.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Maybe change Yoshi and Kirby's FS to the Eggdozer from New Island and the Hypernova from Triple Deluxe, respectively?
The thing I love about Kirby's final Smash is how on point it is to his character. He quickly gobbles up everything in his path- so to see this juxtaposed with his Final smash, where he takes time to summon all characters into a crafted stew, is just genius to me.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The thing I love about Kirby's final Smash is how on point it is to his character. He quickly gobbles up everything in his path- so to see this juxtaposed with his Final smash, where he takes time to summon all characters into a crafted stew, is just genius to me.
Wasn't Kirby's FS in Smash 4 the giant sword thing?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Kirby's Final Smash in Brawl was easily the worst in the game.
Even worse than DK's, Jigglypuff's and Peach's.

Extremely slow and predictable, can be dodged with a roll or air dodge.
Kills only at like 200% lol.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Yeah honestly this is one of my biggest wants for Smash 5. The cutscenes in Subspace were fantastic and turned what was mostly a pretty simple story into something that felt, for lack of a better term, epic. Just seeing the different team ups was honestly dope. Samus and pikachu, Yoshi and Link, Pokemon Trainer and Lucas, Diddy and Fox. So rad. I definitely agree that they should include way more than just mario enemies in this one but I'd really like if they still kept the subspace baddies from Brawl just cause I think their expansion on smash bros. lore (lol) was interesting.

Oh and maybe some more locations from games? Like kind of built in to the surrounding, more neutral landscape that existed in SE? And maybe they should probably also visit space seeing as there's so many space faring Nintendo characters (Samus, Rosalina, Fox & co., Olimar, Kirby, maybe some others I'm forgetting?) Oh and bring back cool boss fights that was awesome (if it were up to me it'd be Emperor Bulblax cause pikmin is cool.)

Anyway whatever it'd be cool I loved all that business back in Brawl and would love to see it again.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Kirby's Final Smash in Brawl was easily the worst in the game.
Even worse than DK's, Jigglypuff's and Peach's.

Extremely slow and predictable, can be dodged with a roll or air dodge.
Kills only at like 200% lol.
Sounds a lot like Dedede Burst to me lol
I feel like Sakurai is determined to make Kirby and Dedede bad to some degree. It's either because he wants to prove to everyone that he doesn't show favoritism to his own characters, or he's upset with what HAL has done with the Kirby series and this is his way of relieving anger. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Another question, what Breath of the Wild soundtracks do you think will make it into the game, or which ones do you want?
I would like to see "Riding - Day" make it into the game. I know it doesn't necessarily fit the fast paced mood of Smash, but that didn't stop a lot of Animal Crossing pieces.

Stratos

Smash Ace
It was a great surprise when Ryu came from the Street Fighter series at the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U. Maybe in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch coming the Jin Kazama from Tekken series or Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter series or Kyo Kusanagi from The King of Fighters series.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Another question, what Breath of the Wild soundtracks do you think will make it into the game, or which ones do you want?
I would like to see "Riding - Day" make it into the game. I know it doesn't necessarily fit the fast paced mood of Smash, but that didn't stop a lot of Animal Crossing pieces.
I think this beauty right here NEEDS to be in Smash.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Mini Kangaroo is the logo of the toys and the board games from Mini Game Series. It could have moves based from the toys and the board games of Mini Game Series or/and to anyone else toys of Nintendo like Hip Flip, Ultra Hand, Challenge Dice and Ultra Machine.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Why Sakurai doesn't do a fighter ballot again while Smash is in development?
Likely because the Ballot would create a level of expectation they don't really want to deal with during the initial games development.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would be surprised if many got in. I loved the game; however, the soundtrack was easily one of the weaker aspects of the game. A lot of the sound in the game was just "nature noises" and remakes of older songs. Do not get me wrong, there were a few that were good. Molduga comes to mind.

It was a great surprise when Ryu came from the Street Fighter series at the Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U. Maybe in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch coming the Jin Kazama from Tekken series or Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter series or Kyo Kusanagi from The King of Fighters series.
If they went with Tekken, they would probably stick to Heihachi, unfortunately. And to that end, Virtua Fighter or King of Fighters are not nearly relevant enough. I would vastly prefer a Soul Calibur character because of the Namco connection or Mortal Kombat because that is the only other series on par with Street Fighter.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would be surprised if many got in. I loved the game; however, the soundtrack was easily one of the weaker aspects of the game. A lot of the sound in the game was just "nature noises" and remakes of older songs. Do not get me wrong, there were a few that were good. Molduga comes to mind.
Personally I found this to be one of the most enjoyable soundtracks I've ever heard. I listen to it just for enjoyment all the time. It has such a unique sound. When you hear anything from it, it's so easy to discern that it's from that game and nowehere else. Just because some of the music was minimalist doesn't mean the soundtrack was "weak", just different. So I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion towards it.

EDIT: And actually, as one who doesn't really enjoy open world games, the soundtrack was my personal favorite part of the game.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Personally I found this to be one of the most enjoyable soundtracks I've ever heard. I listen to it just for enjoyment all the time. It has such a unique sound. When you hear anything from it, it's so easy to discern that it's from that game and nowehere else. Just because some of the music was minimalist doesn't mean the soundtrack was "weak", just different. So I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion towards it.

EDIT: And actually, as one who doesn't really enjoy open world games, the soundtrack was my personal favorite part of the game.
I can appreciate minimalist; however, Zelda has always had top tier phenomenal music. My favorite soundtrack is Majora's Mask followed by Ocarina of Time (and after that, it is basically just the Prime Trilogy mixed in with some Final Fantasy or anything Mick Gordon). So, if I personally compare it to those two, well, it falls short to say the least. I am glad that you could appreciate it. But then again, people legitimately felt as though the counter-intuitive weapon system added to the experience as well.

I am used to open world games like GTA that let you just use a radio during downtime. Even FF15 did that. So to go from listening to music while doing nothing of importance to... Listening to birds? Not my cup of tea.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
There's a lot of soundtracks from BotW I hope make it in. Beast Ganon Phase 2 is probably at the top of the list. Super Mario Odyssey and Star Fox: Zero also had amazing soundtracks, so it'd be nice to see a lot of their tracks make it in as well.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
There's a lot of soundtracks from BotW I hope make it in. Beast Ganon Phase 2 is probably at the top of the list. Super Mario Odyssey and Star Fox: Zero both had amazing soundtracks as well, so it'd be nice to see a lot of their tracks make it in as well.
I hope they spam Odyssey tracks on every Mario level (or finally give us the ability to mix and match, which is what Smash is about). They always add one or two lyric songs, I would love for the Odyssey theme to be that song on Smash Switch.

I never really played Star Fox Zero; however, they are almost always great. I should look up the Wolf theme and see what they did with that.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I can appreciate minimalist; however, Zelda has always had top tier phenomenal music. My favorite soundtrack is Majora's Mask followed by Ocarina of Time (and after that, it is basically just the Prime Trilogy mixed in with some Final Fantasy or anything Mick Gordon). So, if I personally compare it to those two, well, it falls short to say the least. I am glad that you could appreciate it. But then again, people legitimately felt as though the counter-intuitive weapon system added to the experience as well.

I am used to open world games like GTA that let you just use a radio during downtime. Even FF15 did that. So to go from listening to music while doing nothing of importance to... Listening to birds? Not my cup of tea.
To each their own, I suppose. I think the soundtrack fits in with the mood of the game perfectly. My favorite game soundtrack is Xenoblade Chronicles 1, so I'm certainly all for exciting, intricate orchestrations. But I don't think I would want the BotW soundtrack any other way. The relaxed nature of some of the pieces was what made me want to play the game even when gameplay didn't sound super fun to me.

But hey, it's music and music is an art made to be interpreted differently by every individual.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally excited to see what original music they come up with for this Smash game. I've enjoyed just about all the Smash music.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
They'd better add that goofy rock track from the end of Odyssey. Came out of absolute nowhere and has stuck with me ever since.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm still incredibly disappointed that they haven't added Fire Emblem's best recruitment song into the game.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Let's all take a moment to appreciate how incredible Nintendo is in the music department. They have countless incredible origianl tracks, and on top of those, they've also made tons of remixes, medleys, etc. that don't cease to amaze us. We could bring up great Nintendo tracks that could be in Smash all day and still not touch everything.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Let's all take a moment to appreciate how incredible Nintendo is in the music department. They have countless incredible origianl tracks, and on top of those, they've also made tons of remixes, medleys, etc. that don't cease to amaze us. We could bring up great Nintendo tracks that could be in Smash all day and still not touch everything.
I couldn't agree more.

I love their soundtracks so much that I have gathered with the years a nearly two weeks long videogame OST with nearly only Nintendo or Nintendo-related music. I listen to it. All. The. Time.

Morbi

Scavenger
That is probably the primary reason I am a fan of Nintendo, they take their music much more seriously than other developers. That can, depending on the game, be half the experience. I am playing through Earthbound right now... And boy, mechanics have come a LONG way; however, I am still thoroughly enjoying myself because of the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom