• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Something I wondered on what the new possible way to build on the established mechanics on Smash in lieu of Customization and Final Smashes, would be taking the concept of powering up Special Moves via a mechanic taking inspiration from Cloud's Limit Meter.

Basically, over time when dealing damage or taking it, allows you to build a meter - which then can be used to unleash a powered-up version of a special move of your choosing.

Basically give Limit Break Versions of special moves to all fighters in the cast, making certain moves not be completely useless on them, or find different utilizations during combat (along with providing more KO/Damaging options to some characters).

No special moves dedicated to charging the meter manually, BTW. And like how it is with Cloud, only one of the four special moves to power up, and you have to charge the meter again.

Dunno exactly if this is the best idea as the "next big change", but I kind of was intrigued by the idea of powered-up specials on other characters aside from Cloud now and then. What do you all think?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder how they'll handle character reveals this time, with it releasing this year and it hasn't even officially shown off yet, it's going to be very different from last time.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I wonder how they'll handle character reveals this time, with it releasing this year and it hasn't even officially shown off yet, it's going to be very different from last time.
They could do just as in Brawl, revealing a character with a bunch of pictures.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm betting they will throw a bomb at us at E3 and reveal almost everything.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While I can't say for certain what factors have the biggest influence on character cuts, I think it's worth remembering that Ice Climbers are the only non-newcomer characters to get cut from a Smash game.

At the very least, I think we can assume that priority is heavily based on how long the character has been in Smash. Even obscure and less popular characters like ROB can become more of a priority if they continue to make regular appearances. Start with the latest newcomers and work your way backwards.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I hope this time they leave more than two characters that are not officially revealed (Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr for the 3DS version) when the game comes out so they can be unlocked as a surprise. That was half the fun in Brawl and Melee.

I'm expecting we will get a blow out of the base roster and a couple newcomers at E3 and then some dabbled between then and release, which I think could very likely be in September. GamExplain made a very good point that Smash is the perfect title for Nintendo to release alongside their paid online service so I think a September release is very possible, if not probable.

andimidna

Smash Master
Honestly was kind of worried about how the release date was this year. But really, I think the idea is to get the game officially released early in the console’s lifespan and support it with far longer lasting dlc. This could mean only 1-5 newcomers at release but more added long after. The only real issue that deals with is how the game will be viewed if it doesn’t try to make itself as distinct from previous entries, but botw Link is a good sign. Actually, one more, dlc pricing. If they know there’s going to be a ton of it, prepare for that so the full game doesn’t cost over $100

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Been mulling over what little info we have about Smash Switch and I have a bit of an idea that I felt I should post my thoughts on. Its not exactly the most new and unique idea, I've seen it suggested before many times, but it fits into what little we've seen so far so I'm curious if this is being "hinted" at a bit and I haven't seen it being seriously talked about post-Inkling reveal trailer:

The idea is that what if this game has a heavy emphasis on character alt "costumes". Characters who are named differently (Olimar/Alph) now play slightly differently, Alph uses Rock Pikmin for example.

Once again this isn't a new idea I know but it solves an issue with seeing BOTW Link "replacing" classic green tunic Link, something I just can't imagine them doing tbh. But what if this wasn't replacing classic Link but was rather a slightly different alt costume that had a tweaked moveset. We could have "Champion Link" who represents BOTW as the new default Link but you could change his costume to "Link" and he retains his classic moveset.

You could take Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit and instead of cutting them they are now alt costumes in this fashion. This would be a core change to the roster of Smash 4, enough of a change to warrant a new game instead of just a "deluxe" port perhaps?

Now what if Inkling isn't a single rep and is actually a character who uses this new "mechanic" as part of their design. instead of "Inkling" having different gender costumes but retaining the same name and play style such as is the case with Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Robin etc... it's actually TWO characters; "Inkling Girl" and "Inkling Boy", they are named as such and play with different weapons from Splatoon, a game all about customizing your inkling with different weapons, and with a simple costume change the character plays differently. This could be an interesting way of adding more Splatoon weapons than a single moveset would allow AND the trailer did emphasis two different Inklings.

Imagine Sakurai wanting to cram a bunch of Splatoon weapons into a single characters moveset and then coming up with the idea of making two separate inklings...suddenly their absence from being DLC characters makes sense as that would be fundamentally different from how costumes and "clones" work in Smash Wiiu/3DS.

This also works really well for some of the most anticipated and expected newcomers: Captain Toad and Archivist Toadette could have slightly different play styles, same with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl and you could make Rex as an alt costume for Shulk instead of replacing or being an entirely "new" character perhaps Dark Samus as an alt for Samus to represent Metroid Prime 4?

I know generally people don't like clones but this has always been the "right" way to do clones if they must be here and sakurai has been pretty consistent with adding characters this way, I was legitimately shocked when the Smash 3DS roster was revealed and we had clone characters again. obviously the hope would be for these alt costumed characters to play as differently as is feasibly possible but at the same time it is a great way to rep more characters with less effort and in a way where fans would complain less. cutting Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario will make people angry at this point but keeping them will as well and if "Champion Link" is how he plans to rep BOTW then surely people would complain about three links, instead retaining classic Llink as an alt costume is the right solution here rather than cutting him, radically changing his move-set, or not acknowledging BOTW at all. Alt costumed clones fix many of the issues people have with some roster choices.

Dixie, Daisy, maybe even a new Ganon could also fall into this idea, I know alt costumes playing differently isnt an unheard of idea so i won't list all the possibilities here BUT I felt it should be pointed out that seeing BOTW Link might be our hint that this will be the case this time around and it seems to solve the issue with cutting clones or keeping them on the roster, something that if changed would be very different from Smash WiiU/3DS and again if focused on maybe enough of a core change to warrant considering this a separate Smash game entirely. I imagine due to the timing they must still be using much of Smash WiiU/3DS as a base but it does appear this will be considered a new entry in the series, this port or new debate is raging lately and maybe the answer is simply in the alt costumes they already showed us this with Champion Link.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly was kind of worried about how the release date was this year. But really, I think the idea is to get the game officially released early in the console’s lifespan and support it with far longer lasting dlc. This could mean only 1-5 newcomers at release but more added long after. The only real issue that deals with is how the game will be viewed if it doesn’t try to make itself as distinct from previous entries, but botw Link is a good sign. Actually, one more, dlc pricing. If they know there’s going to be a ton of it, prepare for that so the full game doesn’t cost over $100
I think we'll still be getting at least 7-8 newcomers on the base roster. I have a hard time seeing them not taking advantage of the two years of development time to create some new characters. Adding only two or three newcomers wouldn't translate into much hype for the game. By the time the remaining DLC is added, a lot of the interest could have faded.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I’m honestly perfectly fine if they’ve remove custom move sets outright. They just didn’t do anything for me.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I’m honestly perfectly fine if they’ve remove custom move sets outright. They just didn’t do anything for me.
This and Mii Fighters being gone are the losses I'd be okay with.

It gives them more time to create more unique movesets for more unique newcomers.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad that the Inklings came as newcomers.
I think we all are, bud.
I'd say Mother 3 being Japan-only (which wasn't decided when Sakurai put Lucas in Brawl) was the far bigger factor for Lucas initially getting cut than recency. We know that they were deciding between Ness and Lucas from the Gematsu leak, so if recency was the deciding factor there, Ness would have been cut. Original Twelve Immunity is a theory at most.
Wow, you are actually right. I heard a while back that Ness was originally going to get cut buy Lucas in Melee, that is what I heard. I do not know of Melee Lucas would have the same-moveset as Ness, but Ness was going to be gone. Recency in theory would actually cut a lot o characters for others, like Greninja for someone else like Decuideye. I do not want Greninja cut, I just listed an example there. I hope we get both Lucas and Ness in Smash for Switch.

Anyone hope that there are no cuts from Smash 4 to Smash in Switch?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think we all are, bud.

Wow, you are actually right. I heard a while back that Ness was originally going to get cut buy Lucas in Melee, that is what I heard. I do not know of Melee Lucas would have the same-moveset as Ness, but Ness was going to be gone. Recency in theory would actually cut a lot o characters for others, like Greninja for someone else like Decuideye. I do not want Greninja cut, I just listed an example there. I hope we get both Lucas and Ness in Smash for Switch.

Anyone hope that there are no cuts from Smash 4 to Smash in Switch?
Very much so hoping for no cuts, it was the reason i wanted a port rather than a new game as Smash 4's roster is very good we are extremely lucky we got such a big and inclusive roster especially the 3rd parties. That said I don't see why they would cut anyone this time around, if the game is coming out this year and the smash ballot doesnt seem that long ago... theres a reason people are arguing whether or not this is a port or new. imo its new, at least thats what they are presenting it as but I honestly doubt its from the ground up new, I expect much of it will be using smash 4 as a base and that being the case i expect little to no cuts.

I just dont see how smash 4 can get Lucas and Roy and Mewtwo back as DLC just for this game to cut characters feels like we were building towards the perfect roster and to just start over feels odd.

say megaman or someone gets cut, could this smash game really be as hype with smash 4 having some of the hypest characters I never thought I'd see in smash in it?

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Very much so hoping for no cuts, it was the reason i wanted a port rather than a new game as Smash 4's roster is very good we are extremely lucky we got such a big and inclusive roster especially the 3rd parties. That said I don't see why they would cut anyone this time around, if the game is coming out this year and the smash ballot doesnt seem that long ago... theres a reason people are arguing whether or not this is a port or new. imo its new, at least thats what they are presenting it as but I honestly doubt its from the ground up new, I expect much of it will be using smash 4 as a base and that being the case i expect little to no cuts.

I just dont see how smash 4 can get Lucas and Roy and Mewtwo back as DLC just for this game to cut characters feels like we were building towards the perfect roster and to just start over feels odd.

say megaman or someone gets cut, could this smash game really be as hype with smash 4 having some of the hypest characters I never thought I'd see in smash in it?
Smash 4 had an awesome roster and I will miss any cuts, but after spending $120+ on Smash 4 and not having much fun with the game, it's gonna be hard for me to pick it up if it is just a port.
I'm hoping for fully redone mechanics and a faster, more skill based game overall.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Were Mii Fighters one of the main reasons custom moves were added? If so, then I can see them getting cut if custom moves get removed. Mii Fighters would be dull to play as without the customizability. :\

I want custom moves to come back though, because I LOVED the amount of options I could take for several characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Just because a few characters might end up getting cut doesn't mean we're getting farther away from a perfect roster or "starting over". We're still getting several exciting newcomers, and just by having more characters than Smash 4, this game is bound to have the superior roster.

If you guys had a choice for one Pokemon newcomer, who would it be?
For me, it would be Decidueye.
I want a Lycanroc form, but mainly because I'd really like to see Sakurai walk away from starters and add something different like he did with Lucario.

An Ultra Beast could be cool.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I think personally I would go for Decidueye as well.

Basically because he is a Grass / Ghost. And, since I lost dear Ivysaur (and he would be considered a veteran), I think it would be fine to have a return of Grass. We would also get introduced to Ghost typing, and because of that, and the wing situation, I think there would be a lot of inspiration to draw from this robin hood esque type of owl.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Every couple of hours when I visit this thread, or I chexk it the next day I wake up, there are 3-4 new pages. Then I start playing catch-up and you guys keep making pages which makes me do a double-take at the page numbers.

You guys move fast.

Cazzone

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think Elma has a chance even though Rex is 100% going to be the Xenoblade rep.?

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Speaking of trailers and youtube, Nintendo has a total of 11 smash channels for different languages/regions.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can see us getting two new Pokemon reps this time, because I'm like 80 percent positive that Detective Pikachu has a strong chance of being a new Pokemon rep due to his whole movie thing.

D

Deleted member

If I could choose a Pokemon character?
If it was totally biased? Feraligatr or Totodile
If I could be biased while considering gameplay potential? Aegislash
If I'm supposed to remain somewhat realistic wuth a Gen 7 Pokemon? Mimikyu

Though I really just expect a Gen 8 Pokemon to be added.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Something I wondered on what the new possible way to build on the established mechanics on Smash in lieu of Customization and Final Smashes, would be taking the concept of powering up Special Moves via a mechanic taking inspiration from Cloud's Limit Meter.

Basically, over time when dealing damage or taking it, allows you to build a meter - which then can be used to unleash a powered-up version of a special move of your choosing.

Basically give Limit Break Versions of special moves to all fighters in the cast, making certain moves not be completely useless on them, or find different utilizations during combat (along with providing more KO/Damaging options to some characters).

No special moves dedicated to charging the meter manually, BTW. And like how it is with Cloud, only one of the four special moves to power up, and you have to charge the meter again.

Dunno exactly if this is the best idea as the "next big change", but I kind of was intrigued by the idea of powered-up specials on other characters aside from Cloud now and then. What do you all think?

That’s cloud’s thing.

Ryu has button inputs.

Bayo has some button inputs.

Little Mac has the KO punch.

Robin’s got tomes.

For the sake of variety as more new characters come, more will have divergent gameplay.

It’s why I can’t wait to see what he does with Inklings and an ARMs character.

Detective Pikachu is physically unable to perform any Pokemon moves.
Neither can any non Pokémon character in Smash.

But Detective Pikachu can solve the case... of how to defeat you!

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post - Spam
I can see us getting two new Pokemon reps this time, because I'm like 80 percent positive that Detective Pikachu has a strong chance of being a new Pokemon rep due to his whole movie thing.
Hahahahahaha, no.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Detective Pikachu is physically unable to perform any Pokemon moves.
And that is why he's perfect. Sakurai loves to try to do different things with the franchises he has at play.

He's this open book getting a ton of spotlight right now. He's definitely someone Sakurai will look at. I'm not 100 percent sure he'll be a newcomer, but I definitely think he's a strong case for a out there Pokemon rep to go along with our traditional one.

Hahahahahaha, no.
Sound logic and debate there my friend.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Speaking of detectives, port Phoenix Wright from UMVC3? His moveset from that game is already in Project x Zone 2 which is on 3DS. I'd like Strider Hiryu too. As for Pokemon, all I want is Warturtle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Will Luigi be a secret character this time?
The Year of Luigi ended several years ago. It's time for Mario to hog the spotlight once again.

But seriously, I'd be fine with Luigi being unlockable. I was never a fan of having everything unlocked from the beginning, and having an iconic character like Luigi hidden gives me more reasons to play all of the different Smash modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom