• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The Year of Luigi ended several years ago. It's time for Mario to hog the spotlight once again.

But seriously, I'd be fine with Luigi being unlockable. I was never a fan of having everything unlocked from the beginning, and having an iconic character like Luigi hidden gives me more reasons to play all of the different Smash modes.
I hope he is. I'd also like the idea of Jigglypuff being unlockable once again as she has been so in every game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Nah. I'm not insulting you. Its just ridiculous to expect Detective Pikachu.

New Pokémon reps will represent the main series as they always did.
Always did does not mean always will.

It amazes me people still think Sakurai works this way.

Time and time again he revisits things or changes his ways.

Let us not forget Villager and Animal Crossing being too peaceful to be in fighting game.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Detective Pikachu would honestly be such a waste.
Just give us Pichu, or hell... Even Raichu is a better choice.

We do not know how well the series including DP will be, and because of that, will there be a foreseeable future for the character? Also, would it not be easier just to give Pikachu a Detective hat as a nod to the character in an alt costume?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Aren't Pikachu's different costumes based around hats? I could see Pikachu getting a costume with Detective Pikachu's hat, but it seems odd to expect Detective Pikachu to be a full-fledged character. (especially since, going by the trailers, he gets winded after trying to use Quick Attack)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Maybe we could make Detective Pikachu have Tim Goodman with him? I mean, we select Detective Pikachu, but said Pikachu controls Tim in the battle, because as he tells Tim, he's the brawn while Pikachu is the brains. As for their playstyle, I would think they'd play as a cross between Phoenix Wright from UMVC3 and the puppet masters from the Naruto Storm series: you control Detective Pikachu, but you fight with Tim to find clues that can be used against your opponents.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Detective Pikachu is a bad idea. We have Pikachu already. Would we ask for Captain Toad if Toad was already present, as a full PLAYABLE character? No we wouldn't.

With all the new activity, stupendous ideas like this return as well.

Feels good in a way, but I'll have to be wary of my patience.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Always did does not mean always will.

It amazes me people still think Sakurai works this way.

Time and time again he revisits things or changes his ways.

Let us not forget Villager and Animal Crossing being too peaceful to be in fighting game.
I don't know how Sakurai works. Just expecting Detective Pikachu is uncommon sense. Villager is from, the main series of Animal Crossing. And, the reason he was selected, was of a completely different scenario.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Detective Pikachu is a bad idea. We have Pikachu already. Would we ask for Captain Toad if Toad was already present, as a full PLAYABLE character? No we wouldn't.

With all the new activity, stupendous ideas like this return as well.

Feels good in a way, but I'll have to be wary of my patience.
Yes, people would ask for Captain Toad if we already had Toad, Captain Toad does things regular Toad doesn't
I don't know how Sakurai works. Just expecting Detective Pikachu is uncommon sense. Villager is from, the main series of Animal Crossing. And, the reason he was selected, was of a completely different scenario.
You dope the Villager comparison was made because Sakurai outright said no to Villager

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yes, people would ask for Captain Toad if we already had Toad, Captain Toad does things regular Toad doesn't
I don't really see a reason for fans to request Captain Toad if the regular Toad gets in Smash. It'd make much more sense for Sakurai to give Toad a Captain Toad alt instead of making the latter a separate character.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Thank you Gwen.

I'm just saying to discredit them putting Detective Pikachu in to market a major movie release and spin-off they're currently heavily pushing seems more uncommon sense (which isn't a thing by the way) to me.

Common sense says Sakurai a man who looks at things that are different and relishes in them and tries to make something out of them is definitely gonna have his interest peeked in this odd spin-off character who is getting the first live action Pokemon movie/Nintendo movie in years.

Does it mean he'll add them? Who knows. But I do think Detective Pikachu is one of those recent Nintendo characters who seems at least somewhat likely just because of his current status going towards this game.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Why is it that even in today's climate, people argue about the most irrelevant things? WHETHER IT'S A PORT OR NOT DOESN'T MATTER! Jeez! Arguing about this is both irrelevant and pointless. Irrelevant in the sense that we're still guaranteed to get new content and pointless because the game is already set to release this year! ARGUING WHETHER OR NOT IT'S A PORT OR A NEW GAME WON'T CHANGE WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS!

So yeah, let's talk about something worth speculating over, like potential game modes, the possibility of more DLC, or new stages. Hell, Ridley's even more relevant than this dribble.
I completely disagree.

1. If it is a port, then that means that there are no major changes to the engine (probably just a balance patch);
2. If it is a port, then the teaser trailer was for DLC;
3. If it is a port, then it will be another monetary stab in the back of Wii U owners.

All these points make the difference between '110% hype can't wait for E3' if they are NOT true and '0% hype back to my PS4' if they ARE true.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, how about those sword users, eh? How many of them do you think we'll get as newcomers for this game?
Takamaru
Daruk / Urbosa / Impa
New Fire Emblem character / Alm / Celica
Rex & Pyra
Some surprise addition that uses a sword (God forbid it'd be Isaac :urg: )

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All these points make the difference between '110% hype can't wait for E3' if they are NOT true and '0% hype back to my PS4' if they ARE true.
C'mon, you know that's a huge exaggeration.

Even if Smash Switch ended up being a port, we'd all still be screaming our heads off when it got revealed on Thursday. Honestly, seeing all the hints that this will be a completely different game was a huge surprise to some of us, myself included.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I want to see a bajillion sword users for the salt alone. More variety, the better.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
C'mon, you know that's a huge exaggeration.

Even if Smash Switch ended up being a port, we'd all still be screaming our heads off when it got revealed on Thursday. Honestly, seeing all the hints that this will be a completely different game was a huge surprise to some of us, myself included.
Seeing new DLC characters will still be interesting, yes. But in that case I will play them at my friend's houses. I don't own a Switch and, if even Smash turns out to be a disappointment (i.e. it's a port), I will not be getting one.

I was also expecting a port and had grown to accept that. Nintendo hinting at more than a port makes it now impossible to accept if it turns out to be a port after all.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I could see detective Pikachu being an alt costume. I feel like this game will be the game of alternative costumes. Honestly it should've been a thing a long time ago because Nintendo games have some really great costume changes. Mario Odyessy is littered with new costumes for Peach, Bowser, and, of course, Mario. Plus the game could inspire costumes for Rosalina. Heck as far as costumes for the Mario crew go we've been sitting on gold for years. Were are the Mario biker costumes for Peach and Rosa?

If we did get a detective Pikachu it would surely be a quick clone type character ala Dr. Mario (which btw is not a mainline game and therefore breaks the "rule"). I'd be willing to bet he'd be slower with a shorter recovery, but with meaty electric attacks. Maybe a charge-and-stun for his Thunder Wave.

I'm really interested to see what happens with transforming characters. A big reason why they split in the first place was because they couldnl't get it to work on the 3DS, but also it wasn't a very useful feature anyway and most of the time people just played as one or the other. I'd prefer they keep it this way honestly.

Zelda's going to be another interesting topic. She's probably her BotW self, so the OoT moveset is pretty outdated. At least for Link he still does the same general stuff, and you could just make some aesthetic changes.

I'd love to see Mario changed too. Super Jump Punch could be replaced with hat bounce or something, and maybe fludd could be replaced with Gushen (octo enemies that shoot water, so functionally the same attack.)

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Okay, I still don't understand the salt over too many sword characters because I just don't understand the argument for it.

To me, it's just like saying I don't want anymore characters that punch so Captain Falcon should be removed.

Staarih

Smash Master
If you guys had a choice for one Pokemon newcomer, who would it be?
For me, it would be Decidueye.
Mimikyu would be my pick. Though I'm warming up to Lycanroc, Dusk Form especially would make a unique quadrupedal fighter.

Every couple of hours when I visit this thread, or I chexk it the next day I wake up, there are 3-4 new pages. Then I start playing catch-up and you guys keep making pages which makes me do a double-take at the page numbers.

You guys move fast.
Haha I know right, ever since the announcement I've had like 40+ notifications waiting for me every morning (+ multiple pages in threads like this). Maybe I should unwatch some of the support threads which only get like "I support"-messages...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay, I still don't understand the salt over too many sword characters because I just don't understand the argument for it.

To me, it's just like saying I don't want anymore characters that punch so Captain Falcon should be removed.
It's just because we have so many sword characters that use a sword for nearly all of their attacks.

Tilts? Sword is used.
Smash attacks? Sword is used.
Specials? ...Sometimes the sword is used.

After a while, it feels like you have a bunch of characters that just swing their swords in different directions. I guarantee you people wouldn't complain as much if sword characters were handled more like Robin, where not all of the attacks make use of the sword.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
It's just because we have so many sword characters that use a sword for nearly all of their attacks.

Tilts? Sword is used.
Smash attacks? Sword is used.
Specials? ...Sometimes the sword is used.

I guarantee you people wouldn't complain as much if sword characters were handled more like Robin, where not all of the attacks make use of the sword.
So a character known for using an iconic sword 100% of the time are not allowed to use their swords for their attacks? Aight.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice

I agree it's weird. It's not like there's an overwhelming ratio of sword characters, and aside from the Marth/ Lucy/ Roy trio they are all pretty defined. Heck even Marth/ Roy and Link/ Toon Link are functionally fairly different.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Common sense says Sakurai a man who looks at things that are different and relishes in them and tries to make something out of them is definitely gonna have his interest peeked in this odd spin-off character who is getting the first live action Pokemon movie/Nintendo movie in years.

Does it mean he'll add them? Who knows. But I do think Detective Pikachu is one of those recent Nintendo characters who seems at least somewhat likely just because of his current status going towards this game.
Common sense says Detective Pikachu can be a custom or even a trophy. Are you really getting frustrated over this?!

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Never said that. I'm just saying magic and other elements can be implemented too. The moveset doesn't have to consist entirely of sword attacks.
I'd rather a moveset condensed to interesting sword moves than trying to make a 'standout' moveset that doesn't fit the character's home game or personality.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Thank you Gwen.

I'm just saying to discredit them putting Detective Pikachu in to market a major movie release and spin-off they're currently heavily pushing seems more uncommon sense (which isn't a thing by the way) to me.

Or they could just, you know, add in a detective hat for regular Pikachu?
You really think Sakurai would go for a second Pikachu who's concept is "Pikachu who can talk but literally can't fight" over something like a new Gen 7-8 Pokemon who can fight?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Common sense says Detective Pikachu can be a custom or even a trophy. Are you really getting frustrated over this?!
If you read frustration in my posts, then son, you read them wrong.
Or they could just, you know, add in a detective hat for regular Pikachu?
You really think Sakurai would go for a second Pikachu who's concept is "Pikachu who can talk but literally can't fight" over something like a new Gen 7-8 Pokemon who can fight?
Did you miss me saying he'd be a SECOND Pokemon rep on top of the usual? Because you know it's Pokemon and it's not crazy to think it'd be capable of getting more than one rep.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd rather a moveset condensed to interesting sword moves than trying to make a 'standout' moveset that doesn't fit the character's home game or personality.
Once I saw what Sakurai did with Robin, I've been convinced that there's not really a need to strictly follow the canon abilities of the character.

A little creativity is needed now and then.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Aren't Pikachu's different costumes based around hats? I could see Pikachu getting a costume with Detective Pikachu's hat, but it seems odd to expect Detective Pikachu to be a full-fledged character. (especially since, going by the trailers, he gets winded after trying to use Quick Attack)
I’d have to err on this side of the argument. Besides Detective Pikachu’s powers of deduction and human speech, what other powers does he have? Im betting on Pikachu electric based attacks.

Short story shorter, new costume.

Morbi

Scavenger
If you read frustration in my posts, then son, you read them wrong.

Did you miss me saying he'd be a SECOND Pokemon rep on top of the usual? Because you know it's Pokemon and it's not crazy to think it'd be capable of getting more than one rep.
Pokemon is becoming heavily over-saturated. I highly doubt we get two of them without omissions and as usual, Smash fans believe every single one of them deserves to stay despite this series having quite a high cut rate and low priority across the board.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You just seem to be putting so much energy into the scenario.
You mean countering points and just thinking outside of the box and speculating like the rest of you means that I am frustrated automatically and simple not you know...

Just joining the conversation?

You're a hit. Boy let me tell you. I like you. You're special. You have something.

I don't know what it is. But it's something.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Once I saw what Sakurai did with Robin, I've been convinced that there's not really a need to strictly follow the canon abilities of the character.

A little creativity is needed now and then.
Well, while Robin might not be able to dual wield his tome and sword, he can still use both of those weapon types in his canon games so it still sticks to his canon.

Marth, from his home game, can not promote and is stuck to just using a sword. Giving him any other weapons is beyond just going beyond canon.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Pokemon is becoming heavily over-saturated. I highly doubt we get two of them without omissions and as usual, Smash fans believe every single one of them deserves to stay despite this series having quite a high cut rate and low priority across the board.
I'd more wager that Fire Emblem is over-saturated and hasn't quite earned the right to be just yet. Sure, it's mega-watt famous now but it's a recent success and was on the verge of dying until just Awakening.

Pokemon has been on fire since 1996 with no real cool down. I put it this way really. If you're complaining about Nintendo putting more Mario and Pokemon reps in Smash Brothers. It's like going to a Disney amusement park gift shop and being appalled by the sheer amount of Mickey Mouse and Disney Princesses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom