• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Who else feels like there's enough third party representation? One of the main allures of Smash to myself is the abundance of Nintendo characters. I understand that Smash has become more of a celebration of gaming in general rather than just Nintendo, but it's still a Nintendo game at the end of the day. I'm not going to be upset over more third parties being added, but I'd like to see several more Nintendo characters before more than maybe one more third party gets in.
I feel we're getting more third parties regardless of what happens to the ones we currently have; they've become a staple now.

Not that I actually mind, two of my most-wanted characters in Smash (Rabbid Mario and Agnes from the Bravely series) are third party.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Is there a chance that they can use the ballot results for newcomers? Like how popular were Isaac and king k rool?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hey there folks! It's been awhile to say the least. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't really know me, but hey! Everybody's looking forward to a new Smash Bros title. I know I am.

Before I say anything, I'd like to advocate for an acceptance or at least cordial conversation about any potential character suggestion. When Wii U speculation was in its prime, I myself was guilty of this toward character ideas that made it into Smash. I couldn't have been happier to be wrong!

I'd also like to advocate for not suggesting characters get cut. I am already seeing suggestions of cutting characters like Ryu or Cloud despite what they bring to the game in terms of star power and gameplay. I think that is shortsighted, but something to really talk about.

Lastly, I think there MIGHT be a chance it's not a straight up port, but like a...I don't know, 4.5 or 5.5? The content (or most of it) makes it from Wii U to Switch, but it's heavily expanded upon. New characters, stages, modes...etc... I don't really care if it's a port of new game, as long as the roster stays as close to Wii U as possible. That roster is by far the most perfect in the series, in my honest opinion.

That all said, here's some characters I'd like to see.
---
Characters:
Inklings (Check)
Ice Climbers (No 3DS to hamper them this time...likely Check)
Spring Man (Might be cool, play kinda like Dhalsim perhaps?)
Rex + Pyra (For those of you who have played Xenoblade 2, it might not seem like Rex makes sense on his own. I think there are some cool ideas for a team of the two that wouldn't necessarily stress the system. But that's up for discussion!)
Wolf- seemed like enough of a difference from Fox or Falco (think how different Roy is to Marth or Lucina)
Decidueye- If they don't go for a Gen 8 Pokemon, I think Decidueye is a pretty good choice. Not only would the typing allow for new possibilities, but I just in general think Decidueye would be a good pick.
Dixie/Cranky Kong- Frankly, I don't think anything has changed for K.Rool. If he gets in, that's wonderful! I just don't think he will. That said, Dixie Kong and Cranky might have a shot given them being an option from Tropical Freeze.

Those are my character choices for now. I would prefer fewer new additions if it meant maintaining the veteran roster.

Happy Smashing!

Morbi

Scavenger
Is there a chance that they can use the ballot results for newcomers? Like how popular were Isaac and king k rool?
I am positive that is why they made the ballot in the first place, and again, I highly doubt Bayonetta was the highest voted feasible character as is. Sakurai will have the information to influence his decision; however, beyond that, I doubt this is just going to be a game reflecting what we wanted 2-3 years ago.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion: I honestly hope they cut some third parties down. They are great and all but come on, let's celebrate Nintendo. Maybe keep a limit on how many guests in Smash Bros.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey there folks! It's been awhile to say the least. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't really know me, but hey! Everybody's looking forward to a new Smash Bros title. I know I am.

Before I say anything, I'd like to advocate for an acceptance or at least cordial conversation about any potential character suggestion. When Wii U speculation was in its prime, I myself was guilty of this toward character ideas that made it into Smash. I couldn't have been happier to be wrong!

I'd also like to advocate for not suggesting characters get cut. I am already seeing suggestions of cutting characters like Ryu or Cloud despite what they bring to the game in terms of star power and gameplay. I think that is shortsighted, but something to really talk about.

Lastly, I think there MIGHT be a chance it's not a straight up port, but like a...I don't know, 4.5 or 5.5? The content (or most of it) makes it from Wii U to Switch, but it's heavily expanded upon. New characters, stages, modes...etc... I don't really care if it's a port of new game, as long as the roster stays as close to Wii U as possible. That roster is by far the most perfect in the series, in my honest opinion.

---
Characters:
Inklings (Check)
Rex + Pyra (For those of you who have played Xenoblade 2, it might not seem like Rex makes sense on his own. I think there are some cool ideas for a team of the two that wouldn't necessarily stress the system. But that's up for discussion!)
Wolf- seemed like enough of a difference from Fox or Falco (think how different Roy is to Marth or Lucina)
Decidueye- If they don't go for a Gen 8 Pokemon, I think Decidueye is a pretty good choice. Not only would the typing allow for new possibilities, but I just in general think Decidueye would be a good pick.
Dixie/Cranky Kong- Frankly, I don't think anything has changed for K.Rool. If he gets in, that's wonderful! I just don't think he will. That said, Dixie Kong and Cranky might have a shot given them being an option from Tropical Freeze.

Those are my character choices for now. I would prefer fewer new additions if it meant maintaining the veteran roster.

Happy Smashing!
No Booker? I guess Tracer is the next best thing, I have actually been playing Overwatch these past two years.

I am the same this time around, I am more concerned with Ganon and Lucina than any actual newcomers. Basically, my most wanted is Spring Man. I wanted Inklings as well, but ayy. Other than that, Wolf or Ice Climbers seem more exciting than most potential characters which is a bit of a bummer. I guess I still have hope for Black Shadow; however, that is just a pipe dream at this point. At least it seems to be implied that veterans might get slight reworks or touch-ups. I would HOPE Ganondorf was top of that list and to preserve that beautiful play-style, who better than Black Shadow?

I am still confused about Rex and Pyra. I am trying to figure that out because I never played the game. I enjoy the idea, but it is hard to follow. She is one of three blades that you can use as weapons, but not really though... And she can turn into Mythra, Rex needs her for the Monado 2.0. Something like that is as far as I got.

D

Deleted member

I hope the game has a new theme, because Smash 4's is pretty mediocre IMO, at least compared to Melee's and specially Brawl's.
I agree with this.
Smash 4's theme was mediocre indeed, it just felt like it needed more. It did not have enough drama, but that makes sense because it made me think of a "fun party experience". I would like the dramatic tone back though.
Give it a more dramatic theme like Melee and Brawl's.
Also guys...
We need the narrator to say..
"SUPER SMAAAASH BROTHERSSS!" again.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Unpopular opinion: I honestly hope they cut some third parties down. They are great and all but come on, let's celebrate Nintendo. Maybe keep a limit on how many guests in Smash Bros.
I get what you mean. Smash started as a series that was about Nintendo, and should certainly celebrate Nintendo content. That can't be denied.

However, I would still say that quality 3rd party options like the ones we've gotten are/can be acceptable. I mean, I think characters like Cloud fit in based on historical/cultural context. For example, one way to look at it is the rivalry or dream fight of Link vs. Cloud. That will always be something fans fantasize about, and it's possible with Smash Wii U. To take that away now? I know I'd be sad, and I only played FF7 for the first time in 2016!

What I will say, is that I think it would be a mistake to just pile on 3rd parties of lesser value. That isn't to say someone like Prof. Layton wouldn't be a GOOD character, but he's not necessarily the same rank as Ryu or Cloud. I hope that makes sense.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of narrators who do you think will be the announcer (and voicing Master Hand) this time? Or who would you like to do it this time?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No Booker? I guess Tracer is the next best thing, I have actually been playing Overwatch these past two years.

I am the same this time around, I am more concerned with Ganon and Lucina than any actual newcomers. Basically, my most wanted is Spring Man. I wanted Inklings as well, but ayy. Other than that, Wolf or Ice Climbers seem more exciting than most potential characters which is a bit of a bummer. I guess I still have hope for Black Shadow; however, that is just a pipe dream at this point. At least it seems to be implied that veterans might get slight reworks or touch-ups. I would HOPE Ganondorf was top of that list and to preserve that beautiful play-style, who better than Black Shadow?

I am still confused about Rex and Pyra. I am trying to figure that out because I never played the game. I enjoy the idea, but it is hard to follow. She is one of three blades that you can use as weapons, but not really though... And she can turn into Mythra, Rex needs her for the Monado 2.0. Something like that is as far as I got.
Always a pleasure Morbid! It's been awhile. New name and everything I see!

Yeah, I feel like those who remember the old days will see me as Booker but Overwatch has steadily taken over a lot of my time. I simply love the game and the characters.

As far as Smash, I think it'll be easier to be practical with choice. Or at least I hope. There are a number of factors involved with character selection, and unfortunately the sad part is that relevancy is an issue for a number of characters. That doesn't mean any given character can't be picked because of a lack of it, I just think it makes other characters no brainers. If you combine that with unique gameplay opportunities and personality, and you've got yourself an excellent pick.

For example, Snake has all of those things. I still want Snake to return. But because of the practicality of it all, I don't know that he's got much of a shot.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well, would you look at that; Smash Switch now exists! Yes, I went absolutely crazy when it was announced; trust me, I didn't expect it to appear in that direct at all, but Nintendo once again trolls us in the best way possible. I look forward to hearing new information about the game soon!

Oh yeah; it's been quite a while since I was last active on here. I guess you could say I'll be back for a while to speculate along with everyone else here? :p

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there's a lot of new people here, be it old timers or newcomers; things have changed over the last few months, huh?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Always a pleasure Morbid! It's been awhile. New name and everything I see!

Yeah, I feel like those who remember the old days will see me as Booker but overwatch has steadily taken over a lot of my time. I simply love the game and the characters.

As far as Smash, I think it'll be easier to be practical with choice. Or at least I hope. There are a number of factors involved with character selection, and unfortunately the sad part is that relevancy is an issue for a number of characters. That doesn't mean any given character can't be picked because of a lack of it, I just think it makes other characters no brainers. If you combine that with unique gameplay opportunities and personality, and you've got yourself an excellent pick.

For example, Snake has all of those things. I still want Snake to return. But because of the practicality of it all, I don't know that he's got much of a shot.
I actually changed it before I left because I had premium, just to mix things up, and forgot to change it back. Lmfao. At least it is a bit cute to contrast my personality.

Who do you main? I am a filthy Widow/Hanzo.

Yeah, I was just in the Snake thread. I still want him and if I could, I would replace all third-party characters for him; however, with Konami being the way it is, it is about as unlikely as it gets this time around. His last chance was Smash 4, unfortunately.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have to wonder how much the amiibo will make a difference. It would be odd to have a "Smash series" with characters that aren't in anymore...

One thing I've always thought, is that when that "Smash 6" job posting appeared...Nintendo may have seen the Wii U as a sinking ship and decided to move to the future. They effectively had to get a Smash out on Wii U or else there would have been hell to pay.

So what if...Wii U was obviously a new entry, but it also serves as the groundwork for the next game? As many assets were added as possible, and transferable to the new game? While this game obviously has had a fair share of time in development, I can't help but shake the feeling that this may be based on Wii U.

I mean, it might be unrealistic, but my honest hope is that there aren't any cuts. There are too many characters that I feel belong in Smash. Whether I like a character doesn't matter, because there are plenty of people who play characters I don't, and that's ok.

My greatest fear is that Cloud would be cut (mainly because Snake was my Brawl main and he's STILL keeping me waiting!), and I simply don't feel that any 3rd party would be more groundbreaking than him...not even Crash. Cloud is really something for Sakurai/Smash to accomplish.

I really can't place my finger on any character I feel is in particular danger of being cut. Might be optimistic, but I'm seriously hoping Smash Switch aims to keep most of the Wii U roster together and add onto it.

Let's be clear...cutting a particular character doesn't necessarily make room for your character of choice. It should be, "I want X character to be added!", lets not advocate for cutting a favorite!

D

Deleted member

More to add about the dramatic theme:
The peak trailer was less partying and more dramatic, so Smash in Switch does need a dramatic theme like Melee and Brawl's.
Smash 4 just felt a lot like a party more than the rest of the series.
The dramatic movement and fire in the trailer could actually indicate Smash in Switch will get a T rating, which I really hope it gets to be honest. A T rating allows for more stuff than an E10+ rating in Smash in Switch.

D

Deleted member

Rather than debating whether SSBS (Super Smash Bros. Switch) is a "new" game, I think it might be more productive to discuss to which extent it is going to be new. In other words, thinking with a spectrum mindset rather than a binary one. How much Smash Switch will be different in ambiance, gameplay and content interests me more than the semantics of calling it a "new" game or not.

Here's how I imagine SSBS could be like:
- Ambiance: updated to feel different: a new main theme; revamped menu appearance; updated appearance for some staples like Battlefield, Final Destination and Home-Run Contest. But with similarities: cartoony art style very similar to Smash Wii U; recycled character artworks from the previous generation of Smash.
- Gameplay: physics similar to SSB4; numerous moveset updates, from mere data updates to some major changes; updated Classic and Event modes.
- Content: increased priority given to recovering content from SSB4, meaning less cuts but also a lower amount of new content compared to something like the Brawl > SSB4 transition; different game modes.

Overall I imagine it different enough to be more than an enhanced port, but not different to its predecessor to the same extent Brawl and SSB4 were. Somewhere in between Melee-to-Brawl and SSB3DS-to-SSBU in term of how different it feels I'd say. At least different enough so I could call it a "new" game in binary terms, but still taking plenty of assets from Smash Wii U.

Here are some reasons why I'm expecting something like that:
- unlike the last two generations of Smash, Sakurai started developing this one almost as soon as SSB4 DLC ended (only after a vacation that probably wasn't very long), and combined with the poor performance of the Wii U, it probably means Nintendo wanted to see a HD Smash on a more successful home console;
- while it's true that the 3DS version helped making SSB4 more successful, being only playable on an handheld makes it less flexible than being playable as both a home and portable console game like the Switch, but beyond player experience, there's a business reason to do that: DLCs. They sold better on Wii U than 3DS (https://gonintendo.com/stories/2567...d-sales-and-dlc-breakdown-by-region-top-selle) in spite of the fact the 3DS version sold more. So it seems that DLC sales on a fighting game sell better on a home console than on an haldheld, and a better install base on Switch combined with the higher DLC sales on a home console means more profit for Nintendo; (and by the way I'm also telling how confident I am about the fact SSBS is going to get post-release paid DLC)
- the SSBS teaser's artstyle seems similar to that of SSB4 trailers like Mega Man's of Shulk's for example (in fact it was the teaser's artstyle which made me expect it to be about Smash before the logo's appearance);
- recycling character artworks would mean there would be no need to redesign Smash amiibo, all Nintendo would have to do is to reprint them without changing the amiibo themselves, just updating the packaging;
- in addition, without a major artstyle shift, SSB4 character artworks can be recycled without an artstyle clash;
- not having to do a major art shift would mean a higher amount of assets that can be taken back from Smash Wii U, which would mean a better recovery rate of data from the previous Smash entry and make development faster, and as I expressed it before, the considerably shorter pre-release period could likely be due in part of a lower amount of new characters (unless Nintendo is revealing new characters at a much higher rate than during the SSB3DS pre-release period).

... but maybe I'm just biased by my personal want of getting minimal or no cuts and being ready to accept a lower number of new characters for that. Some part of me is hopeful that a possible higher focus on returning characters than on newcomers compared to previous entries, combined with post-release DLCs to compensate for cuts, then we may have a hope to see every SSB4 character back.

Edit: I didn't take into account the fact BotW Link is right-handed, which has some implications on some things I said. Either he will be an exception and his SSB4 artwork will be scrapped (to be fair I'm not really satisfied with this hypothesis because it feels like it's moving the goalposts), or having a left-handed alt will not have any impact on gameplay and hitboxes (not sure about that), or my hypothesis about recycled SSB4 character artworks must be scrapped.
Could we see a Splatoon 2 game bring back and add new modes as well? I think so and I hope that they will trash Smash Tour as well. A terrible Mario Party rip-off of a mostly mediocre series of games.

While I don't disagree that there is enough time to make a new game, I don't think we can definitely say it's "new" in the traditional sense.

Typically there is a fair amount of time devoted to debugging a game (3DS/Wii U each had around 1~2 months) as well as the time it takes for a game to gold afterwards (Uprising had 1~2 months before release). If we're looking at a Q3/4 release I think there is a fair amount less of development time left than people think. Melee nearly destroyed Sakurai when he was in good health, and Smash has become at least twice as large since then. If we're talking about a game from the ground up in the way previous games were I find a 2018 release hard to believe bar a large Bandai Namco team being involved again.

If I had to guess the game started out as a port, but Nintendo not wanting to mess things up like they did with Wii U releases, pushed the game back and let Sakurai continue adding to the game. At the very least I think more will be reused assets from the previous game than any other entry in the series. Splatoon 2 vs. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I guess.
That makes me wonder, what will this Smash do to differentiate itself from the rest? The gameplay is always familiar but each game tried something new.

• Melee was a huge upgrade in general
  • Brawl introduced SSE, online, and guests characters
  • Smash took the franchise to handheld and introduced DLC
I'm curious to see if this will really just be a bigger game or if there's going to be changes.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have to wonder how much the amiibo will make a difference. It would be odd to have a "Smash series" with characters that aren't in anymore...

One thing I've always thought, is that when that "Smash 6" job posting appeared...Nintendo may have seen the Wii U as a sinking ship and decided to move to the future. They effectively had to get a Smash out on Wii U or else there would have been hell to pay.

So what if...Wii U was obviously a new entry, but it also serves as the groundwork for the next game? As many assets were added as possible, and transferable to the new game? While this game obviously has had a fair share of time in development, I can't help but shake the feeling that this may be based on Wii U.

I mean, it might be unrealistic, but my honest hope is that there aren't any cuts. There are too many characters that I feel belong in Smash. Whether I like a character doesn't matter, because there are plenty of people who play characters I don't, and that's ok.

My greatest fear is that Cloud would be cut (mainly because Snake was my Brawl main and he's STILL keeping me waiting!), and I simply don't feel that any 3rd party would be more groundbreaking than him...not even Crash. Cloud is really something for Sakurai/Smash to accomplish.

I really can't place my finger on any character I feel is in particular danger of being cut. Might be optimistic, but I'm seriously hoping Smash Switch aims to keep most of the Wii U roster together and add onto it.

Let's be clear...cutting a particular character doesn't necessarily make room for your character of choice. It should be, "I want X character to be added!", lets not advocate for cutting a favorite!
I am almost absolutely certain we will have reworked assets from Wii U. To compensate, it seems as though we are getting a lot of redesigns and hopefully that translates into updating aspects of move-sets here and there for longtime characters.

I believe the amount of cuts has specific correlation with how many newcomers we get. If we only get about 5 or 6 (initially, DLC would pad that number a bit), I see no reason everyone cannot return with maybe one or two exceptions (Fire Emblem is overly bloated, realistically). If this is another Smash 4 where we get ten plus, cuts are inevitable.

Probably. Cloud is the most likely to go in my opinion, when you consider all of the circumstances. I would only be "fine" with that if he was replaced with Sora or something. Mostly because Kingdom Hearts 3 would be sick on the Switch. Master Chief is one of the only gaming icons in the same league and, well, I highly doubt it given the lack of Banjo last time.

One of the Pokemon, in my opinion. Either Mewtwo because it happened twice or Greninja because he did not really offer anything unique. Other than that, as I stated, one of those FE characters to make room for the new. Maybe Shulk? I have no idea if they want to make Xenoblade a revolving door franchise. He is probably safe unless Sakurai goes crazy with new characters.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I have a feeling that we'll be getting more info on the game soon. If it releases this year then we should be getting some juicy stuff real soon.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That makes me wonder, what will this Smash do to differentiate itself from the rest? The gameplay is always familiar but each game tried something new.

I'm curious to see if this will really just be a bigger game or if there's going to be changes.
And once again this could support my free-update service theory, which I think is an excellent way to take the series.

That said, I'm fine if nothing that groundbreaking is introduced barring new characters, stages, modes, etc. Don't fix what ain't broken.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Who is the Labo character you guys mentioned? I googled Labo ( got nintendo labo) and labo-robot and got nothing.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a feeling that we'll be getting more info on the game soon. If it releases this year then we should be getting some juicy stuff real soon.
Hopefully, I am not going to lie, however. I feel as though they will let us speculate until e3. Otherwise, I doubt they would have silhouetted Mario and Link, of all characters. Who knows, we might have an April or May Smash Direct just to show us some game-play and confirm that it is indeed a new game as a lot of people seem to be confused. I just doubt it.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Could we see a Splatoon 2 game bring back and add new modes as well? I think so and I hope that they will trash Smash Tour as well. A terrible Mario Party rip-off of a mostly mediocre series of games.

The big thing about Smash 5 is that they completely rework the veterans.
At least, that is what I would want to see. Would be kind of lame, though, since they are the same personalities and it isn't very friendly to marketing to casuals.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What might be new with Smash 5 is it could hypothetically be a "soft reboot" of sorts if they rework some of the vets. That might be what happens with Link (I personally don't want 3 Links in the game...makes me think of Simpsons Road Rage with like 4 Homer Simpsons in the game or whatever it was), or maybe a Cappy move or two for a new Mario. But then again I don't know how likely that really is.
I am almost absolutely certain we will have reworked assets from Wii U. To compensate, it seems as though we are getting a lot of redesigns and hopefully that translates into updating aspects of move-sets here and there for longtime characters.

I believe the amount of cuts has specific correlation with how many newcomers we get. If we only get about 5 or 6 (initially, DLC would pad that number a bit), I see no reason everyone cannot return with maybe one or two exceptions (Fire Emblem is overly bloated, realistically). If this is another Smash 4 where we get ten plus, cuts are inevitable.

Probably. Cloud is the most likely to go in my opinion, when you consider all of the circumstances. I would only be "fine" with that if he was replaced with Sora or something. Mostly because Kingdom Hearts 3 would be sick on the Switch. Master Chief is one of the only gaming icons in the same league and, well, I highly doubt it given the lack of Banjo last time.

One of the Pokemon, in my opinion. Either Mewtwo because it happened twice or Greninja because he did not really offer anything unique. Other than that, as I stated, one of those FE characters to make room for the new. Maybe Shulk? I have no idea if they want to make Xenoblade a revolving door franchise. He is probably safe unless Sakurai goes crazy with new characters.
I may have said it before, but I'm fairly certain all "OG" characters for each respective series will remain. What I mean by that is that no character added first for a series has ever been cut. Marth has never been cut. Xenoblade is much like Fire Emblem in that each game has a new protagonist. Based on that, I believe Shulk will stay, with Rex joining him (potentially in some sort of partner moveset with Pyra?).

Greninja and Mewtwo...I'm not so sure. I think it's poor decision-making to cut Mewtwo AGAIN given the massive popularity of the character itself. Mewtwo is easily one of the Top 10 most popular Pokemon. If he gets cut again, guess who's going to be at the top of DLC request lists? Mewtwo.

Greninja I believe is similar to Lucario when it comes to Smash. He's a fairly popular Pokemon (he's easily one of my favorites) and plays differently from most characters in Smash. He certainly doesn't have the unique gameplay of a character like Robin or Little Mac, but he's a great addition in general.

The one thing I will disagree with you on is Cloud v. Sora. I haven't played Kingdom Hearts (I have the first collection unwrapped and I plan on playing it soon, so i'm almost there) but I would simply say if Square Enix is going to have a character, they wouldn't swap Cloud out. Going from Cloud to Sora is undoubtedly a drop in starpower simply because Cloud is...well, Cloud.

Now, Sora in addition to Cloud? Sign me up! I don't know that Cloud is really the same thing as Snake, and he might be just as a lock as Megaman or Pac-Man. We just might not know it yet.

Considering Cloud broke the internet worse than Snake did, I think he's got good things going for him to stick around. I just have anxiety that he may not because he's become one of my most played characters to be honest.

Last edited:

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
Nothing quite like the Smash hype train. Kinda bittersweet that the trip will be so short this time, hah. That said, gotta drop my wishlist.

• New moveset for Link. That better not just be a costume! Freshen him up with some BotW material. Revali's Gale, Daruk's Protection, possibly even Urbosa's Fury as a Final Smash. And of course Sheikah Slate usage here and there. Smashes can remain largely the same.
  • Some Cappy love for Mario. Wouldn't be a big deal without it, but why wouldn't they do it?
  • Min Min playable. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the "faces" of ARMS, but Min Min has literally all the necessary material for a solid Smash character--aerial kicks, the transforming dragon arm for Smash attacks, and if they use THE Dragon ARM, maybe even a projectile move of sorts. (That'd be some crazy range, tho.)
  • Ridley would be nice. Yeah, I'm one of them!
  • This is a must! Brand-spankin' new Hyrule Castle stage based on BotW. Complete with that epic music, Guardians littered about as stage hazards, the whole package. It can even be a traveling stage that spins around the complex, showing off all the beautiful scenery of the kingdom from various angles. Man, if they miss this opportunity.
So yeah. That's about it for now. Let the waiting game commence!

Staarih

Smash Master
New modes would be a (good) start but as long as the core essentials are there, they don't need to necessarily change just for the sake of trying something new. Though I think it being on the Switch opens up possibilities - with easy linking and Joy-Con support I can see 8-Player Smash returning, for example.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

---
Characters:
Inklings (Check)

Happy Smashing!

Well well well look who's back!

Good to have you back dude!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I am pretty sure crash bandicoot would create a WAY bigger hype since everyone expcted the inklings to be in smash but crash bandicoot would be a huge surprise
Hype is kind of subjective one way or another. The Inklings weren't that hype worthy for me nor would Crash Bandicoot as I have no experience with either Splatoon nor Crashes games as a whole. Frankly, as recognizable as Crash can be, I don't think he exactly falls in line with a Sonic, Megaman, or Pacman either so I'm not sure he would have the same universal result.

Maybe it's simply because I'm unfamiliar with series and don't know anyone that has ever really talked much about it or cares for it. But for me Crash would less hype and more 'huh?' but I understand that's entirely on me.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of 3rd party characters, I have a sneaking suspicion that we will get an influx of them.
My bet would be: Crash, Rayman and Bomberman.

My wild card would be Sora.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Nothing quite like the Smash hype train. Kinda bittersweet that the trip will be so short this time, hah. That said, gotta drop my wishlist.

• New moveset for Link. That better not just be a costume! Freshen him up with some BotW material. Revali's Gale, Daruk's Protection, possibly even Urbosa's Fury as a Final Smash. And of course Sheikah Slate usage here and there. Smashes can remain largely the same.
  • Some Cappy love for Mario. Wouldn't be a big deal without it, but why wouldn't they do it?
  • Min Min playable. Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the "faces" of ARMS, but Min Min has literally all the necessary material for a solid Smash character--aerial kicks, the transforming dragon arm for Smash attacks, and if they use THE Dragon ARM, maybe even a projectile move of sorts. (That'd be some crazy range, tho.)
  • Ridley would be nice. Yeah, I'm one of them!
  • This is a must! Brand-spankin' new Hyrule Castle stage based on BotW. Complete with that epic music, Guardians littered about as stage hazards, the whole package. It can even be a traveling stage that spins around the complex, showing off all the beautiful scenery of the kingdom from various angles. Man, if they miss this opportunity.
So yeah. That's about it for now. Let the waiting game commence!
I doubt anyone would miss Fludd, especially if Cappy was the replacement. Who knows, there are a lot of people that would kill to bring back Mario's spin... I guess.

I just want that stage for the music the music. Zelda's Lullaby mixed with Ganon's theme... I had no idea I wanted it until I got it.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I am positive that is why they made the ballot in the first place, and again, I highly doubt Bayonetta was the highest voted feasible character as is. Sakurai will have the information to influence his decision; however, beyond that, I doubt this is just going to be a game reflecting what we wanted 2-3 years ago.
Why do people think this? They directly stated that Bayonetta was the overall winner. What would Sakurai and Nintendo have to gain from lying about this? Do people actually think that Sakurai has some secret vendetta against K. Rool or wherever else you think "really won," to the point where he would make this big cover-up? They had the ballot to determine who is the most wanted character, and by extension, who would bring in the most money. By staging Bayonetta as the winner they have nothing to gain, and money to lose.

There's two options to explain why Bayonetta shockingly won:

1. The people who spend everyday, for multiple years, making sure this game is as good as it can be, lied to all the fans, just because they don't like a video game character, even though they would theoretically lose money by making a character who scored lower in the ballot the one you can buy.

2. The couple of dozen or hundred people that post on this forum are actually a really small sample size compared to millions of people that probably voted in the ballot.

Anyway, I still think the ballot was partially made for future Smash games, including the one we're getting this year. I am still fairly certain that K. Rool was up there (along with other characters they made into DLC costumes like Chrom and Lloyd Irving) and think he has a decent chance for this game.

But yeah, the ballot wasn't rigged. This isn't like a political election where someone has something to gain by rigging it. The only reason they would lie is because Sakurai hates a specific character that much. Even then, they could've just not named Bayonetta as the #1 winner if she wasn't and they wanted to hide it.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I thought that the way they worded it was Bayonetta was the highest voted viable character, as in there were others above her but they couldn't get in for one reason or another.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well well well look who's back!

Good to have you back dude!
I'm glad to be back, and it's great to see some familiar names around. Good to see you're still here!
---
I know this is like my 6th post in an hour, but there's a few music clips that I simply feel are necessary for Smash Switch.

This one is, to me, one of the best tracks from the game. Feels all too epic when scaling the castle at the end. I don't really know what location would be best as a stage for BOTW, but Hyrule Castle may be a good choice (with Guardian stage hazard or AT!)

As soon as I heard this track, I instantly imagined playing Smash and having to fight and unlock Rex, and having this music playing. I don't necessarily know how to explain why I like this one so much, but I do.

Last one I'll post for now, but this song is one of the most epic legendary battle themes I've heard in awhile for Pokemon. This might also go nicely with a stage with Necrozma (or Ultra Necrozma) as a stage hazard.

Obviously, Jump Up! Super Star! is also a necessity, but I don't think anybody would believe it wouldn't be added at this point.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I remember before Smash 4 was released Sakurai stated that he wouldn't have come back to making Smash if it wasn't because there were some new unique things that could still be done with it, and he cited making two different versions and the connection between them (which turned out to be minimal in the end). I'm sure there's going to be something redefining about it, but it's anyone's guess what it might be.

Last edited:

AadmM

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6988-1941-7966
I doubt anyone would miss Fludd, especially if Cappy was the replacement. Who knows, there are a lot of people that would kill to bring back Mario's spin... I guess.

I just want that stage for the music the music. Zelda's Lullaby mixed with Ganon's theme... I had no idea I wanted it until I got it.
I don't even think they have to drop FLUDD necessarily--Cappy could merely replace his aerial spin attack and his Side-B and I'd be happy (no pun intended, lol). But if they wanted to go to town with it, more power to 'em!

And YES, that music. If they really wanted to go crazy they could have the stage move into the castle at points and have the music do that sweet transition. We can only dream!

D

Deleted member

Sakurai did say that they were going to use the ballot for adding characters in the next game kind of like how Sakurai used the Japanese Brawl poll (which added Sonic) to include Mega Man. The question is, how many characters will they include because of the ballot? We only know that the Brawl poll added two, one per game, so it may not be very much. It could be that they only picked Inklings.

Who else could get added because of the ballot other than someone we didn't see coming? King K. Rool is probably the only one I could think of if consistently topping fan polls is any indication of how he might have fared in the ballot.
And once again this could support my free-update service theory, which I think is an excellent way to take the series.

That said, I'm fine if nothing that groundbreaking is introduced barring new characters, stages, modes, etc. Don't fix what ain't broken.
I honestly think this could happen. If this game is for some reason going to be a reboot of the franchise, a free-update service route could be a great opportunity to make that happen while eventually delivering a ton of contents that we've come to expect. The tricky part is not making it so bare bone that fans feel like they're being cheated by buying a beta like the sentiment Street Fighter V got.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why do people think this? They directly stated that Bayonetta was the overall winner. What would Sakurai and Nintendo have to gain from lying about this? Do people actually think that Sakurai has some secret vendetta against K. Rool or wherever else you think "really won," to the point where he would make this big cover-up? They had the ballot to determine who is the most wanted character, and by extension, who would bring in the most money. By staging Bayonetta as the winner they have nothing to gain, and money to lose.

There's two options to explain why Bayonetta shockingly won:

1. The people who spend everyday, for multiple years, making sure this game is as good as it can be, lied to all the fans, just because they don't like a video game character, even though they would theoretically lose money by making a character who scored lower in the ballot the one you can buy.

2. The couple of dozen or hundred people that post on this forum are actually a really small sample size compared to millions of people that probably voted in the ballot.

Anyway, I still think the ballot was partially made for future Smash games, including the one we're getting this year. I am still fairly certain that K. Rool was up there (along with other characters they made into DLC costumes like Chrom and Lloyd Irving) and think he has a decent chance for this game.

But yeah, the ballot wasn't rigged. This isn't like a political election where someone has something to gain by rigging it. The only reason they would lie is because Sakurai hates a specific character that much. Even then, they could've just not named Bayonetta as the #1 winner if she wasn't and they wanted to hide it.
I do not believe it and therefore the fact that he directly stated it has absolutely no bearing on that belief.

He does not gain anything, per se. He never really needed to, however. It is not a question of motive. They were always going to add her, in my opinion. Nintendo more or less bought the property and clearly planned for future content. It would make sense to further establish her with the Nintendo brand. That is why Nintendo suggested Corrin to Sakurai. But I cannot see tons of randoms piling in for a b-rate hack-and-slash protagonist that would have likely been blocked because of the nature of her... Personality.

No. It has nothing to do with King K. Rool.

I do not know who won. All I know is that it was not Bayonetta. There are several other feasible characters that a casual voter would have thought of well before her.

It is really not that big of a cover-up. They just get to say the fans had input and call it a day while collecting data. No one seemed broken up about it.

There are more than two possibilities. That is an either/or fallacy and a strawman mixed into one. So I am not going to address it further. A huge waste of my time.

They get to influence the degree of interest surrounding a character they have a future stake in. It is relatively simple. The money argument falls flat when you consider all of the people voting who do not play the game. If they put it in the 3DS or Wii U launcher, you would have a point. But at the end of the day, I know for a fact they would have made more money on King K. Rool (from DLC sales, Bayonetta makes more in the long term) regardless of how many votes he earned. Discussion around the game from the most influential purchasers was laser focused on him.

I do agree with that, there was no reason to. That is why I am confused. But despite that, I am going to stick with my empirical knowledge, if you have a problem with that, not much I can do about it.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One thing I firmly believe the Smash fanbase need to understand is that internet forums, such as this one, are not the mainstream audience. I know that is hard to believe, but there are millions of people who love Smash Bros., who also don't post on websites like this one.

King K.Rool and Ridley have always been big community choices. If you move outside that community, however, they aren't necessarily as big. Those are the people who might hear about the Smash Ballot and then go vote for a character. This is likely how Bayonetta won.

It's either that, or Bayonetta was planned to be added in the first place and the Smash Ballot was completely used for future titles. (MAYBE IN LINE WITH MY CONSPIRACY THEORY WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS GAME! ***laughs maniacally to self)

If you want evidence as to how I know this...I have been working my first full-time teaching job this year with high school grades. There are students excited for it, and none of them ever mention K.Rool or Ridley. That right there may or may not be a "panic button" moment for some here. But it's a reality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom