• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
2018 release date means we'll probably see far more batches of veterans revealed all at once. This saves a lot of heartache!
I kind of wonder if that's why they waited to reveal the project and haven't started showing anything yet. Sometimes I wonder if the daily pictures they ran during the last two games' development was as beneficial as the time required to do it for the amount of time that they did it. Especially with all the complaints about 'useless' filler they had.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's definitely a new Link, and not a clone of the previous Link or something like that.
:link64::linkmelee::link2::4link:
If you look at the patterns with Link's design changes from his OoT look to TP look over the course of the 4 Smash games, this makes sense considering they want to show us the most modern and recent version of Adult Link. Perhaps this design will remain into Smash 6 as well if Nintendo keeps this pattern up, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Yeah, it seems like Link's new look is just a cosmetic change to represent the newest Zelda games. The TP designs will finally be replaced by the BotW ones, and Link will retain most of his old moveset (with maybe one or two moves getting changed to represent BotW).

So if this really ends up being the case, BotW Link (separate character) is the first deconfirmed character we have.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I kind of wonder if that's why they waited to reveal the project and haven't started showing anything yet. Sometimes I wonder if the daily pictures they ran during the last two games' development was as beneficial as the time required to do it for the amount of time that they did it. Especially with all the complaints about 'useless' filler they had.
I remember filler night. (for context, the Miiverse picture that day was about this.)

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Speaking of :kirby: : I have a pipe-dream level prediction regarding an overhaul of his character involving his copy abilities. Instead of the copy hats like the previous games, swallowing an enemy gives him one of 3-5 abilities from his game.

Example: :4mario: would give Kirby his Fire ability, :4link: would give him Sword, etc. These would give him new special moves and potentially new attributes (changed stats or physical effects).

This might save development time as you don't have to make as many models for the Kirby hats. Depends on whether making new movesets would take more time than porting other character's attributes.

Either way, I think this would be more interesting than literally copying a special move from other characters. We can keep his basic specials (Stone, Final Cutter) on default Kirby.

:kirby:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Clones huh a lot of them I enjoy having in but of some get removed so be it. Hate to see any of them go honestly.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
After heavily considering Sakurai's comments about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the XC2 Story DLC apparently coming this fall, I have re-adjusted the roster. I hate to remove Layton, but now the roster feels right now.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I actually changed it before I left because I had premium, just to mix things up, and forgot to change it back. Lmfao. At least it is a bit cute to contrast my personality.

Who do you main? I am a filthy Widow/Hanzo.

Yeah, I was just in the Snake thread. I still want him and if I could, I would replace all third-party characters for him; however, with Konami being the way it is, it is about as unlikely as it gets this time around. His last chance was Smash 4, unfortunately.
YOU! I recognize you, old friend! Good to see you back as well! =D

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of :kirby: : I have a pipe-dream level prediction regarding an overhaul of his character involving his copy abilities. Instead of the copy hats like the previous games, swallowing an enemy gives him one of 3-5 abilities from his game.

Example: :4mario: would give Kirby his Fire ability, :4link: would give him Sword, etc. These would give him new special moves and potentially new attributes (changed stats or physical effects).

This might save development time as you don't have to make as many models for the Kirby hats. Depends on whether making new movesets would take more time than porting other character's attributes.

Either way, I think this would be more interesting than literally copying a special move from other characters. We can keep his basic specials (Stone, Final Cutter) on default Kirby.

Ok I can see your point but.
Part of the fun is seeing Kirby with these cool little hats imo
After heavily considering Sakurai's comments about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the XC2 Story DLC apparently coming this fall, I have re-adjusted the roster. I hate to remove Layton, but now the roster feels right now.

I have no clue what the **** Doomguy is doing there but goddamn would he be awesome

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

Two AC newcomers is interesting to me. What do you think Isabelle and Tom Nook would use as a moveset? Villager has pretty much all of what Animal Crossing is about in his/her movesets.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It suddenly occurred to me that tehre aren't any leaks running around.

ResetERA admins were being as blatant as possible in hinting with Smash being at the direct, but we don't have anything else like a Gematsu leak yet. I wonder if we're going to have another big leak anytime soon, er at all during speculation.
:061:
It would be jokes if the entire roster was leaked before E3.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think the reason for a shorter "pre-release" time is just a Nintendo thing - besides the big teases like Pokémon, Metroid Prime and Bayonetta, they seem to release a majority of their Switch games fairly soon after reveal (within a year or usually under, really). I dunno how time consuming posting a pic online is, but if it takes time out of development, I'd rather not have daily pics and just go along with Directs or whatever.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I remember filler night. (for context, the Miiverse picture that day was about this.)
Filler or not, the PotD always gave me something to look forward to.

Actually, Miiverse in general was a good place for Smash fans to hang out. I had a lot of good memories there, including me taking requests and making custom stages every week based off Smash characters. I even managed to win silver in the final photo contest. It's kinda sad Nintendo doesn't currently have anything similarly fun or engaging to replace Miiverse.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Two AC newcomers is interesting to me. What do you think Isabelle and Tom Nook would use as a moveset? Villager has pretty much all of what Animal Crossing is about in his/her movesets.

I have posted this in the Tom Nook support thread, but what I think Tom Nook could use for a moveset is some tanooki suit influences from SMB3 and the tools Tom Nook uses as a merchant to fill in the potential. Isabelle, while I have yet to play New Leaf, could take influence of the many gameplay options available as a mayor to create a moveset out of, liking maybe placing buildings, bridges, and houses in the battlefield.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Mega Man is such an iconic character, so I hope he's one of the veterans this time around. Mega Man 11 is planned to release late this year for various consoles, including the Switch, so this would be a great opportunity for the series to be revived after it kinda died off following Mega Man 10.
So if this really ends up being the case, BotW Link (separate character) is the first deconfirmed character we have.
You have a really weird way of saying "oh, so we're not gonna have a third Link clone," I think.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Welp, looks like I have a reason to be back. The Inklings were pretty much a slamdunk as soon as the first Splatoon went way beyond what everyone was expecting for it so I'm glad they got them out of the way first. Unlike past Smash games, I don't think there is a whole lot of "obvious" additions aside from the standard "+1 new Pokemon", "+1 Fire Emblem character", and "+1 retro/WTF character" for this game. At this point, all I'll say is that I'll be genuinely surprised if Yo-Kai Watch and ARMS don't get a rep in this game. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about another DK rep and possibly a new Animal Crossing and Wario rep too. Are we really going through this again? My god, do the years fly by.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You have a really weird way of saying "oh, so we're not gonna have a third Link clone," I think.
Sorry if it sounded that way. I'm actually convinced that we'll be getting a Zelda newcomer from BotW. Didn't know if I should keep speculating BotW Link possibly being added, or just toss the idea and move on to the Champions.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I want Isabelle as a new AC rep. I want an Isabelle that's essentially a drunken master/accident prone fighter because I think that would be hilarious. Imagine if her Fsmash was something like a sneeze or tripping and falling and dropping a leaf that turns into a cabinet or even obscure stuff like the Mouth of Truth. I like the idea of her being a silly, light hearted character in the same vein as Villager.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Glad to see you back bro, even tho your terrible taste hasn't changed <3

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I changed my mind on ExciteBiker. I think he could be quite possibly the most unique retro character available.
2.jpg

I did not draw this, so credit to whomever did.

Here's my vision of him:
Neutral Special: RC Car - ExciteBiker pops a wheelie and releases a tiny RC ExciteBiker from his bike. The tiny little ExciteBiker makes the classic engine sound from the game.

Side Special: Ramp Flip - If you are on the ground, ExciteBiker can do a flip off of a ramp, launching him even further than Diddy's Monkey Flip.

Up Special: There are endless possibilities here. He could have an ejector seat or a handglider like in Mario Kart 7.

Using the wheels of his bike make for interesting attacks. Having a character who is always riding a bike would make for a fan favorite. Popping a wheelie for a dash attack or spinning out for a down smash.

There's also plenty of other ExcitBike games to pull from like ExciteBike64 and ExciteTruck.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I want Isabelle as a new AC rep. I want an Isabelle that's essentially a drunken master/accident prone fighter because I think that would be hilarious. Imagine if her Fsmash was something like a sneeze or tripping and falling an dropping a leaf that turns into a cabinet or even obscure stuff like the Mouth of Truth. I like the idea of her being a silly, light hearted character in the same vein as Villager.
Someone suggested that Isabelle could trip and accidentally knock over a giant pile of office papers. That seems to fit her well.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I still want two add two to five character in the roster. I wanna add one third party (or even indie) choice and a second retro newcomer. But I cannot decide on what to pick TBH. And even though I have stated my distaste for speculating new clones, I kinda wanna add two-three more clones to my roster now. But I am not well equipped in relevancy to figure out who could join in as last-minute clones.

Glad to see you back bro, even tho your terrible taste hasn't changed <3
Oh you. :awesome:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still want two add two to five character in the roster. I wanna add one third party (or even indie) choice and a second retro newcomer. But I cannot decide on what to pick TBH. And even though I have stated my distaste for speculating new clones, I kinda wanna add two-three more clones to my roster now. But I am not well equipped in relevancy to figure out who could join in as last-minute clones.
Is there anyone who you're debating between? I figure it could make for an interesting discussion, and it might help you with narrowing it down.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Someone suggested that Isabelle could trip and accidentally knock over a giant pile of office papers. That seems to fit her well.
Or accidentally drops a fish that flops around and trips whoever steps on it or a random fruit that has different effects (ie; a coconut does heavy shield damage, an apple rolls until it goes off screen, etc). I really like the idea of her using various pick up objects and leaves in her moveset because it's one of the more quirky aspects of the AC series.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
2018 release date means we'll probably see far more batches of veterans revealed all at once. This saves a lot of heartache!

Regarding Zelda characters, I don't REALLY think one Champion stands much out from the other. They are all important, and none is more important story-wise than the others. So if you gonna add one, they better add them all. Personally, I think Link and Zelda will get slight Special moveset revamps, Toon Link will definitely stay, and am not 100% sure of the return of Sheik or Ganondorf.

They seemed to benefit a lot from Twilight Princess having designs for them (they didn't do as much as a thing but change Ganondorf's F Tilt from his appearance in Twilight Princess so...). Plus, Sheik and Ganondorf haven't been mainstays in the franchise. Or they are gonna use Hyrule Warriors as a base for them, which makes Impa as a newcomer all the more likely.

So what I think / hope will happen for the Zelda Roster for Smash Switch:

Link: with a new Side B based on the Boomerang weapons of BOTW, and Remote Bombs as Down B plus a far more adaptable / flexable way of using his Bow & Arrows (aerial shots finally?). I am kinda stressed out how they are gonna handle the Master Sword however </3

Zelda: She could utalise either the Champion's abilities all at once or use a few of the Sheikah Slate abilities. Her classic moveset is sooo underwhelming with being nearly useless 2 times in a row, it's definitely needed. Plus she's 100% sure of using a BOTW design due to Link having it, and her being the only other character on the Smash roster who's acutally in the game.

Toon Link: virtually unchanged.

Ganondorf: I cannot see Ganondorf in a BOTW-design. Sorry not sorry. It's not gonna work for him, unless they say, making him 'Calamity Ganondorf', which would be lame and am 100% sure Calamity Ganon is gonna make a different sort of appearance anyhow. I suspect a moveset change inspired by Hyrule Warriors, but without a weapon. Instead he'll infuse his arms with magical powers like he does with certain moves in Hyrule Warriors.

Sheik: She could potentially have a BOTW-inspired outfit, but a shoehorned one. I think she'll be a lower priority character. If she returns, I think she'lll be unchanged.

Impa: I think they'll choose Impa as a newcomer with Sheikah Slate abilities and either a BOTW-design based on Paya, or completely Hyrule Warriors inspired. It mostly depends on what they are gonna do with Zelda, moveset-wise. And if Sheik returns or not.
I know during Wii U times you were high on Impa as a character, but why exactly would she use the Sheikah Slate with the appearance from BOTW? That seems a little weird when all she did was advise Link. Could you elaborate?

If they didn’t cut Sheik from Wii U, I see no practical reason to cut her now.

Personally, I think Ganondorf can get away with his TP appearance. There’s no real reason to cut him either, but I would be interested in a potential moveset change. What ideas did you have?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , there is going to be cuts for Smash Switch.
Which really isn't a bad thing because they can just add people back in if there's enough demand as we saw with SSB4's DLC. For example, I honestly think this could happen with :4greninja: and :4robinm:. I'm currently not counting SSB4's DLC because if they were considered to be added in one time, there's nothing really stopping them from being added again as DLC so it doesn't really matter if they miss the bus for the initial launch of the game. I can almost guarantee that they'll do this for at least :4cloud:and :4mewtwo:because it's well established that people have no real objections to paying for them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know during Wii U times you were high on Impa as a character, but why exactly would she use the Sheikah Slate with the appearance from BOTW? That seems a little weird when all she did was advise Link. Could you elaborate?

If they didn’t cut Sheik from Wii U, I see no practical reason to cut her now.

Personally, I think Ganondorf can get away with his TP appearance. There’s no real reason to cut him either, but I would be interested in a potential moveset change. What ideas did you have?
For Ganondorf? Hyrule Warriors. Be it with actual weapons, or him utalising the dark energy he uses to summon those giant claws with, it's up to them. Personally, am more excited for the dark magic claws idea.

Why Impa? Cause she's reoccuring. The Champions won't be, unless they are gonna make a direct prequel to BOTW. Which of course could happen... but also, BOTW wasn't all that story or character-heavy like the rest of the Zelda games. Then there's the issue of choosing a singular Champion over the others. To me, that's kinda hard to imagine.

Plus Impa could use the Sheikah Slate abilities on her own as magical attacks, as she's still the most important Sheikah in Zelda lore. It gives her quite a lot to work with, and if Sheik got back into Brawl due to a sketch for her being made for Twilight Princess, a similar thing could happen for Impa. Or they could just use her Hyrule Warriors design.

With Impa, it's logical to assume she'll be back into the Zelda franchise as a character. With the Champions it's not.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Is there anyone who you're debating between? I figure it could make for an interesting discussion, and it might help you with narrowing it down.
I do not know about clones yet, but...

But for the second retro I am thinking:

1. Hanafuda character (To represent Nintendo's beginnings as a company)

2. Prince Sable (For retro Gameboy representation, although I think he has little chance now IMO, even though I would LOVE for it to happen)

3. Balloon Fighter (Even though Sakurai shot him down back in Melee, I feel representation as a character would help make the retro Nintendo lineup feel complete)

Those are what come immediately to mind, I feel those characters cover all the important stuff coming from the retro era.

And for a third-party or indie, I have been thinking about:

1. Layton or Jibanyan (With Level-5's close relationship with Nintendo with releases like Snack World, YWB2, and Lady Layton)

2. An indie like an UNDERTALE character and Shovel Knight. (I feel those characters have the most notoriety for popular indie choices, I kinda doubt Shantae for whatever reason)

3. Monster Hunter, Rayman, Noctis (I believe these characters to a far lesser degree, especially Noctis, though with FF15 potentially coming to the Switch, maybe?!?!)

That is what I have been thinking critically for the two choices.

BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , there is going to be cuts for Smash Switch.
We will see how development goes first.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
LoZ seems to be in the same scenario it's been the past two games, just instead of having a one time villain as a potential character we have a bunch of one time supporting characters with brief appearances. Of course BotW has been a bigger hit than TP and SS were, but I just don't see any of the Champions making it if the likes of Zant and Ghirahim didn't during their hey-days, there's not an awful lot to work with and the focus was as always with Link and Zelda.

They might be tempted to include a new Zelda character just so it doesn't fall behind the other big franchises on the roster, but I think they'd be digging into past games for that, because BotW just doesn't have any good options. SS/HW Impa or Skull Kid would be the best options if they did that imo, but it does seem like a long shot with Link's design being changed to his BotW appearance.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Which really isn't a bad thing because they can just add people back in if there's enough demand as we saw with SSB4's DLC.
That's true, but it still doesn't mean we are necessarily getting every feasible character who is cut from Smash 4 to Switch with DLC as proven by Wolf'not being a DLC character in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Balloon Fighter has my vote as well, even moreso than Takamaru. Why? Cause Iwata created the character. It'd be like a homage.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Balloon Fighter has my vote as well, even moreso than Takamaru. Why? Cause Iwata created the character. It'd be like a homage.
OK, NOW I NEED BALLOON FIGHTER ON MY ROSTER! Even more so than my Hanafuda and Sable choice. But I feel the chances are 50/50 in happening, who knows if Sakurai will think the same back in Melee or consider Iwata to add him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom