• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Roy is safe as h*ck, imo.

Sakurai knows the fans love him, he’s a semi clone so he’s not too hard to bring back, and according to the 1st Choose Your Legends poll, Roy is the fourth most popular character in the franchise. His addition to Smash 4 might have been fanservice, but I doubt Sakurai would cut him again.

(that said, despite my avatar I really wouldn’t mind so long as he got replaced with someone like Hector or Celica)
If he doesn't make the initial cut then surely he'll make it as DLC, I think that might be the case for a few of the Smash 4 DLC characters, wouldn't be too surprised if the first DLC content would just be a pack with the Smash 4 DLC characters that don't make the initial roster. The timing of his inclusion might depend a bit on who they prioritize out of him and Lucina, if the latter isn't just a skin this time around that is.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
All of you should realize that it didn’t take 6 years to develop Smash 4.

Sakurai merely went on to develop Kid Icarus Uprising, and once that released, formed Sora and Bandai Namco to create Smash. They developed the 3DS version and Wii U versions of smash together, within about 2.5 years.
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/03/smash4devtimeline/

In 2011 it was even confirmed that Smash was not even conceptualize it.
So they had from 2012 to holiday 2014.

Bayonetta and the final DLC was released on 2016, January. Giving them until 2016, to Holiday/September of 2018. Not only that, but they only have to make a single game for a single piece of hardware, instead of creating new stages, and optimizing both games for the 3DS and Wii U.

This is going to be the most feature rich smash ever created. And it’s definitely not going to be a port.

Also, just so you know, Melee had 13 months of development, insanely short development cycles are actually really normal for Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If he doesn't make the initial cut then surely he'll make it as DLC, I think that might be the case for a few of the Smash 4 DLC characters. Might depend a bit on who they prioritize out of him and Lucina, if the latter isn't just a skin this time around.
It seems really cheap to make Roy a DLC character twice. It's not like they'll have to build him from the ground up like they did in SSB4. They might as well keep him on the initial roster or just cut him entirely.

Then again, I'd rather pay money for Roy than Lucina, assuming she stays unchanged.

Sakurai merely went on to develop Kid Icarus Uprising, and once that released, formed Sora and Bandai Namco to create Smash. They developed the 3DS version and Wii U versions of smash together, within about 2.5 years.

Bayonetta and the final DLC was released on 2016, January. Giving them until 2016, to Holiday/September of 2018. Not only that, but they only have to make a single game for a single piece of hardware, instead of creating new stages, and optimizing both games for the 3DS and Wii U.

This is going to be the most feature rich smash ever created. And it’s definitely not going to be a port.

Also, just so you know, Melee had 13 months of development, insanely short development cycles are actually really normal for Smash.
We still don't know exactly when this game started development though. I think there was definitely plenty of time for them to make a new game, but knowing the exact date of when production started would give us a better idea of how much SSB4 content to expect to see ported over to this game.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If this is a completely new game (or really even an enhanced port) I hope y'all learned a valuable lesson about believing Sakurai when he implies he's done with Smash. :p

Don't forget; he's here forever.
Pretty much like Kojima, except he managed to escape. :awesome:

Staarih

Smash Master
It's likely elements of Smash 4 will be used (the whole basis/engine may be based on it), but it depends on how they brand it whether or not it's a port. They got Splatoon 2 out two years after Splatoon, likely used it as a base but decided to brand the new game as a sequel. Same could happen here. And while Smash is out this year, support will likely continue the following year(s) so there's still time to build up to that.

Honestly I'm just glad Smash is coming to Switch, be it a port or not haha!

And I'm happy the speculation cycle will be shorter this time as well, seeing as the game comes out this year. Though I think we all know DLC will happen so speculation will probably carry on a bit after release.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
It seems really cheap to make Roy a DLC character twice. It's not like they'll have to build him from the ground up like they did in SSB4. They might as well keep him on the initial roster or just cut him entirely.

Then again, I'd rather pay money for Roy than Lucina, assuming she stays in Smash and is unchanged.

We still don't know exactly when this game started development though. I think there was definitely plenty of time for them to make a new game, but knowing the exact date of when production started would give us a better idea of how much SSB4 content to expect to see ported over to this game.
It’s pretty obvious to me.
http://nintendonews.com/news/general/masahiro-sakurais-next-game-project-already-decided/
“Sakurai” said:
“I want to enjoy Sundays,” Sakurai said in a column, found in the January 2016 issue of Famitsu. “But it’s not like the next project hasn’t been decided on.”
Especially with the failure of the Wii U, and the upcoming Switch. Nintendo definitely would have pushed for a new Smash Bros to be released as soon as possible.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Are you guys sure this is the Switch thread and not the CCI thread? @FamilyTeam would have a field day over the topic on page 435.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Do you guys think they'll do daily updates like they did before?
Back in the Dojo?

Actually, I think they might once summer comes. By Sma4h, the game was leaking out information over years, and major bombshells became hard to put up.

But Dojo only went strongly for an initial intent of a year, extended by the delay. I don't see this Smash getting delayed (if anything Nintendo has stayed on schedule with the Switch, and more importantly, shown they do not mind adding free DLC to compensate for less than full games).

I hope a new version of Dojo comes back. I also hope they pay homage to it by having a real training system in this smash, called the dojo. And it would be taught by Master Hand.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It’s pretty obvious to me.
http://nintendonews.com/news/general/masahiro-sakurais-next-game-project-already-decided/

Especially with the failure of the Wii U, and the upcoming Switch. Nintendo definitely would have pushed for a new Smash Bros to be released as soon as possible.
Sakurai saying that he knew what his next project would be doesn't necessarily mean production started within the same month. There's a possibility that the studio responsible for making Smash Switch had other projects they needed to finish up before they could move on.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Jesus, it's been a while since the last time I posted anything.

I am really glad to be back on speculating. About newcomers, I think Pauline will the the Rosalina of the time. LABO BOT may be a safe bet for WTF character. Decidueye or the eight gen grass starter will be the pokemon newcomer and Ice Climbers are definitely back. Medusa or Hades are good possibilities.

As for the cuts, I can see some of the third parties waving goodbye. Specially Cloud.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I agree. I think if they are pulling a lot of assets from Wii U, there should definitely be time to include Ice Climbers. As you point out, they weren't even intended to get cut in the first place. Something to consider with dev time towards characters is that based on what we know, they have spent about as much time on this game as they did Smash for Wii U/3ds. Without the 3DS version, all resources are being dedicated to this individual version of the game rather than split between two consoles. There should certainly be more time to work on lost veterans. Of course this is entirely speculation, but I think we can afford to be a little optimistic with character expectations.
Honestly, I expect a new character revealed roughly each month. The game is coming out this year, which inevitably means before Black Friday (and possibly in September with the online launch). It's not a few years before the game, it is now. Which means a more consolidated release of characters, and more importantly, that we are already within the last few months before the game launches. #rehypedmyself

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I tell myself that if I go into speculation, I'll be dissapointed, but you know what? The announcement of a new Smash game never fails to make me giddy with excitement. It's SMASH BROS. AND IT'S COMING OUT THIS YEAR!
Bring on speculation! There will always be a few bad apples. I'm just going to focus on having a good time.
Also, you just know Sakurai is going to blow us away with a big third party reveal at E3. I can't wait to see how he tops the Cloud reveal.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Also, you just know Sakurai is going to blow us away with a big third party reveal at E3. I can't wait to see how he tops the Cloud reveal.
I'm calling it, Crash Bandicoot will be the big third party reveal. Especially since the N Sane trilogy is coming to Switch.
However my most wanted third party is Rayman.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I really hope that there are more retro characters that are finally getting a 3D model and be added as assist trophy or just a trophy in smash switch my most wanted are:
Sukapon (joy mech fight)
Nester (Nintendo power)
Harry (teleroboxer)
Hakkun (sutte Hakkun)
Lip (panel de pon)
Alice (balloon kid)
Mr. Stevenstone (gumshoe)
Mike jones (starTropics)
Starman (pro wrestling)
Lark (pilotwings)
Muddy mole (mole mania)

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
No more tour stages please.

Smash 4 had like seven of those. Enough is enough.
I'd prefer Golden Plains, 3D Land, Arena Ferox, and Dream Land (3DS) as I would like to see them make it into competitive play.

I'm still waiting for my Virtual Boy stage.

It's a hot garbage console but I also want my garish color scheme of neon red and black. Make it happen Nintendo I believe in you.
i think this is the closest we have to what it could possibly look like.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'm calling it, Crash Bandicoot will be the big third party reveal. Especially since the N Sane trilogy is coming to Switch.
You have good tastes. I did not grow up with Crash, but I will be getting the N-Sane Trilogy on Switch and looking at gameplay, I love how zany Crash is. Rayman is still my #1 character (I campaigned for him!), but Crash deserves it too.
Banjo-Kazooie would be a bombshell, though.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The reason why the port situation matters is that if it is going to be a port from the Smash 4 version, the likelihood is that there will be less new content in general. As port specifically of the kind that Nintendo has released for the Switch so far have included a few additional features and very little else. They also generally put very little effort into pushing them as hard as they're currently pushing this one. I'm just not seeing how this could be anything other then a new production.

Also it seems like people are blending the idea of a port with porting certain assets from previous game which doesn't make a production a port in and of itself.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, I expect a new character revealed roughly each month. The game is coming out this year, which inevitably means before Black Friday (and possibly in September with the online launch). It's not a few years before the game, it is now. Which means a more consolidated release of characters, and more importantly, that we are already within the last few months before the game launches. #rehypedmyself
Well, we already know EarthBound is guaranteed to have a newcomer revealed on Mother's Day, just like every other Smash game has done. :laugh:

Yeah, a newcomer being revealed every month or so seems reasonable. Although, I'm curious as to whether or not we'll get to see actual gameplay before E3. I feel like we might not get to see the Inklings and any other Smash newcomer in action until the game gets a more general trailer.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
User was warned for this post
Well, they didn't call the Wii U version: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS for Wii U. :p So what you really mean is Super Smash Bros. for 3DS for Wii U for Nintendo Switch.

...I kinda love that actually. :laugh:
Actually it'd be

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS for Nintendo Wii U for Nintendo Switch

SSB4N3DS4NWU4NS

Do you guys think they'll do daily updates like they did before?
It's been a tradition ever since Brawl. We won't get it until after E3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pretty sure Brawl and Smash 4 reused assets to speed up development from their predecessor respectively too when those where in development (Such as Kirby's Melee air side special during Brawl and the Brawl capsule during Smash 4)

Also as stated, keep in mind that Sakurai doesn't work on every Smash game back to back. Kirby's Air ride was developed before Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising was being done before Smash 4, hence the long release gaps. Not to mention large projects such as the SSE and a dual release extending the development time of those games.This occasion seems to be more of a Smash 64 to Melee type deal.

Staarih

Smash Master
Honestly, I expect a new character revealed roughly each month.
I expect we'll get nothing until E3, and there we'll have a major trailer like with Brawl, with multiple new characters (or, like, at least two or three lol) and gameplay.

After that, who knows. Maybe pic of the day's or something will pick up. It'll only be a few month until release at that point though, and who knows how many newcomers we're getting anyway, so it might be just a few trailers here and there until release. I'd love a Smash Extravaganza closer to release though with all the info we need.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

While I don't disagree that there is enough time to make a new game, I don't think we can definitely say it's "new" in the traditional sense.

Typically there is a fair amount of time devoted to debugging a game (3DS/Wii U each had around 1~2 months) as well as the time it takes for a game to gold afterwards (Uprising had 1~2 months before release). If we're looking at a Q3/4 release I think there is a fair amount less of development time left than people think. Melee nearly destroyed Sakurai when he was in good health, and Smash has become at least twice as large since then. If we're talking about a game from the ground up in the way previous games were I find a 2018 release hard to believe bar a large Bandai Namco team being involved again.

If I had to guess the game started out as a port, but Nintendo not wanting to mess things up like they did with Wii U releases, pushed the game back and let Sakurai continue adding to the game. At the very least I think more will be reused assets from the previous game than any other entry in the series. Splatoon 2 vs. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I guess.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I tell myself that if I go into speculation, I'll be dissapointed, but you know what? The announcement of a new Smash game never fails to make me giddy with excitement. It's SMASH BROS. AND IT'S COMING OUT THIS YEAR!
Bring on speculation! There will always be a few bad apples. I'm just going to focus on having a good time.
The only thing I know is that Sakurai is Hanuman, trickster God.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Gosh though, Sony will really feel it having lost a big seller on PS4 just for Nintendo to take in and make possibly even more money out of. :laugh:

I'd take him and Rayman with a heartbeat however. Rayman though I feel has bit of a more stronger presence with Nintendo-based ties (right back to the trophies back in SSB4 and infamously well-received Mario & Rabbids) - and I absolutely love Origins + Legends, so I hope we'll see him flying in for real this time.

On that note:

I'll be putting this right to quote right away when the Fire Emblem-rep reveal splurge pops up.

@Lord-Zero

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Look at that new logo and listen to that new song. This is absolutely without a doubt 100% a new game. Built using assets from the previous game like almost every other game ever. Except oddly enough Splatoon 2. That was built from the ground up lol.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Crash is very possible. Who doesnt after seeing the trailer yesterday?
It would be very exciting, for sure.

But it definitely isn't a big reveal. It isnt a revelation if it is a widely considered probability. This is incongruent to the stealth drop of the unlikely Ryu. Or mother pluckin Cloud.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think Crash is very possible. Who doesnt after seeing the trailer yesterday?
It would be very exciting, for sure.

But it definitely isn't a big reveal. It isnt a revelation if it is a widely considered probability. This is incongruent to the stealth drop of the unlikely Ryu. Or mother pluckin Cloud.
The only way they could have made Crash as big as a bombshell as Cloud is if they announced Crash then the trilogy remake.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
at
That being said, unless we get another character to rep the fighting style, my pick for an obscure retro character would have to be either Fighter Hayabusa or Star Man from Pro Wrestling. A wrestling-like character is something we've yet to see in Smash, and the concept alone leaves a lot of potential.
Thoughts on Zangief making it in? I would like to see 360 inputs in Smash and salt from the player who get Pile Drivers left and right.

EDIT: about the stage, this is a special case because I have no complains about it, at the time, the series had no representation so to have TTYD and ss was really the best, even I never expected a stage so I am actually happy about it.
I enjoy the stage solely for the TTYD part. I wish I could play on that transition alone. It was good enough to replace Pirate Ship in my book. It also contained a ton of references to the series and the Rogueport theme was so nostalgic for me. I hope that if we get another Paper Mario stage, we can get the Gooper Blopper Medley. That is my only positive for Sticker Star; loved that Boss Battle.

I'm not a fan of the third transformation in the Sticker Star stage. We were given 3 platforms to stand on, with one in the middle that hap a gap in-between with a section to stand on. Then it rotates very frequently, I felt like there was very little ground to stand on in that stage and it felt bad to me to even play on that transition with 2 players. With players it could be even worse but I can see some players enjoying it to how chaotic the situation would be. I also did not like that the 3rd transition felt like it stayed along longer than the other two, I felt like the TTYD transition was the shortest.

-

Edit: As for Lucas being cut, we have no confirmation on it. As for his clone status, I would put him in the boat along with Falco, and Luigi. He does have aerial moves different from Ness, and his specials have different properties than Ness.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The only way they could have made Crash as big as a bombshell as Cloud is if they announced Crash then the trilogy remake.
I would prefer if they revealed Crash instead of inklings first I think people would be 10 times more hyped just like when megaman and snake were revealed this is how to blow up people mind in each new smash game starting with a 3rd party reveal.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Thoughts on Zangief making it in? I would like to see 360 inputs in Smash and salt from the player who get Pile Drivers left and right.
He'd be fun, sure, but I'm not too keen on third party franchises getting more than one rep. The only exception is probably Sonic.

I don't see it ever happening.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would prefer if they revealed Crash instead of inklings first I think people would be 10 times more hyped just like when megaman and snake were revealed this is how to blow up people mind in each new smash game starting with a 3rd party reveal.
Are people not hyped enough for you?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Who else feels like there's enough third party representation? One of the main allures of Smash to myself is the abundance of Nintendo characters. I understand that Smash has become more of a celebration of gaming in general rather than just Nintendo, but it's still a Nintendo game at the end of the day. I'm not going to be upset over more third parties being added, but I'd like to see several more Nintendo characters before more than maybe one more third party gets in.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'd welcome him but Master Chief isn't coming and don't expect him too. What influence has he had on Nintendo's history?
He's had an influence on the history of video games in general. Not saying he will ever get in, I am just saying. I mean Halo is one of the best selling game franchises ever. And Pac-Man and Sonic got in, neither are that closely assoiciated with Nintendo.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Isaac appeared in Dark Dawn so no. But on that note, I wish Sakurai would consider characters that only appeared during 4th and/or 5th gen too.

Smashboards has always been active. It's just that now we have an announcement and new information to boot, the gang has come back.

It's going to have to happen sooner or later. We can't
If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to bet on a Pokémon newcomer, I'm picking Mimikyu for this reason. Arguably the best promotional character and might be something Sakurai might want to go for anyway since he did add Pichu in Melee. It makes too much sense not to add.
The Gematsu leak was a doozy. So was the final leak that confirmed the final roster.
I totally forgot dark dawn was a thing : (

I’ll hold on to hope though, mostly because there’s not much else I care about left for smash newcomers since all my tastes are stuck in the mid 2000-2010’s

Morbi

Scavenger
Who else feels like there's enough third party representation? One of the main allures of Smash to myself is the abundance of Nintendo characters. I understand that Smash has become more of a celebration of gaming in general rather than just Nintendo, but it's still a Nintendo game at the end of the day. I'm not going to be upset over more third parties being added, but I'd like to see several more Nintendo characters before more than maybe one more third party gets in.
I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly, I truly do; however, there are so few relevant Nintendo characters left. Inklings and Arms are given, because they are new IP. Even a Xenoblade 2 character is about as obvious as it gets. That being said, that is practically all that has happened since the last smash and tons of people seemed to have dropped the whole "we need Isaac and King. K. Rool" spiel and more people just feel as though Sakurai is more or less incapable of creating Ridely. Hell, I believe a Metroid Prime 4 character might technically be more likely.

So, while I do not want half a dozen third-party characters, I also wanted notable characters and third-party is realistically the only way to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom