• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think a Mario newcomer is very likely, but I just don't know who.

Captain Toad?
Waluigi?
Paper Mario?
Geno?

Who do you guys think is the most likely Mario newcomer?
Captain Toad is definitely most likely. I want Paper Mario the most though.

I think you could put Waluigi in his tennis outfit, just like Wario has a biker outfit, and give him a Wario Emblem.

Anything will work for me to get Waluigi. He's my #1 request along with Ninten.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Lip supporters remind me a lot of competitive Jigglypuff mains

People sometimes make memes about them, but nobody really knows the chronic disappointment they have in their life. All they want is to have a fun time playing with their pink little friend, but life tortures them like a fly trapped in a plastic tupperware.

Game after game they ask for just a little recognition, but they ultimately turn out even more disillusioned and numb.

(maybe this time Lip fans, maybe this time)

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Woo, haven't been to this site in years.

My first wish is for them to finally update Sonic's smash moveset. Having 2 spindash moves is kind of stale.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This has nothing to do with tiers, believe it or not.

Let’s be honest here. Everybody wants to win. People don’t just handicap themselves intentionally for no reason. And casuals aren’t nearly as sentimental as us. If animu sword boy from that weird game they never heard of presents an advantage they’re likely to pick them over Mario. Or are you seriously telling me you didn’t have somebody pick Marth and counter spam as a kid? People grew attached to characters they perceived to be powerful.
Not everyone subscribes to the same playstyle. For every random who prefers a mixup zoner playstyle with Marth you'd get one who'd prefer a Captain Falcon rushdown, a turtling spammer, or a glass cannon just hoping for the best. Not that they'd be familiar with those terms. Frankly as a kid I was much more familiar with people picking Link or Samus or Kirby or Pikachu (and later Pit) and spamming the hell out of them.

Of course if the playstyle just doesn't click with the person they'll find someone else, but I think you're underestimating the amount of people who just go for characters they know or like. Marth was not an unpopular choice but among the dozens of non-pros I've Smashed with, about 75% of each roster has gotten pretty regular play.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Lip supporters remind me a lot of competitive Jigglypuff mains

People sometimes make memes about them, but nobody really knows the chronic disappointment they have in their life. All they want is to have a fun time playing with their pink little friend, but life tortures them like a fly trapped in a plastic tupperware.

Game after game they ask for just a little recognition, but they ultimately turn out even more disillusioned and numb.

(maybe this time Lip fans, maybe this time)
Jiggs had her time in the sun in Melee
And if you ask me that's where Sheik's top tier shenanigans should've ended too.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
"Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere
Going nowhere..."

Hi. I can't quite place you; were you always called 'Ryu_Ken'?
Ah, I changed my name from Powerstar9. I was the "scrub" of the Link boards who posted a lot of replays and matches.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Captain Toad is most likely at like 60%
Paper Mario is 20%
Waluigi is 1%
Geno is 19%.
I feel Paper Mario is at least 50/50 based on his design alone. Sakurai would be able to do a lot with his moveset and he's still relevant enough [Color Splash as his latest installment plus a Paper Mario stage on Smash 3DS) to warrant an inclusion. This is especially true if the Japenese audiences likes him enough (which I feel they do). It might concerning that he isn't super on the radar for people (I forget him every time list characters for potential rosters lol), but maybe he can be part of that "silent majority" that Bayonetta and to an extent Rosalina rode.

christyalmeth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3332-4545-9808
I think with the Pokémon newcomer it'll be another Greninja situation. I'm guessing when development of this Smash started all that was shown to the public of gen 7 was that first trailer (maybe). Which isn't a whole lot to go off of, so Sakurai was probably shown early designs of Pokémon and picked one that stood out to him. Who knows who that could be?
honestly this has me thinking too. I know this is crazy but what if one of the other newcomers for Smash is released at E3, being a double announcement. it could be a final evolution for one of the starters in the new switch game. But it so happens to be the one Sakuari liked the most too. Pokémon historically has never been an E3 thing. I honestly think this would be so cool! it gives Pokemon and Smash people the best of both worlds. We get to know a new character and they get to speculate about other starters and final evolutions for the new gen. Assuming it is a new gen

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I feel Paper Mario is at least 50/50 based on his design alone. Sakurai would be able to do a lot with his moveset and he's still relevant enough [Color Splash as his latest installment plus a Paper Mario stage on Smash 3DS) to warrant an inclusion. This is especially true if the Japenese audiences likes him enough (which I feel they do). It might concerning that he isn't super on the radar for people (I forget him every time list characters for potential rosters lol), but maybe he can be part of that "silent majority" that Bayonetta and to an extent Rosalina rode.
Oh yeah, I forgot there was a 3DS stage.

Paper Mario better not be based off of Color Splash/Sticker Star.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Not everyone subscribes to the same playstyle. For every random who prefers a mixup zoner playstyle with Marth you'd get one who'd prefer a Captain Falcon rushdown, a turtling spammer, or a glass cannon just hoping for the best. Not that they'd be familiar with those terms. Frankly as a kid I was much more familiar with people picking Link or Samus or Kirby or Pikachu (and later Pit) and spamming the hell out of them.

Of course if the playstyle just doesn't click with the person they'll find someone else, but I think you're underestimating the amount of people who just go for characters they know or like. Marth was not an unpopular choice but among the dozens of non-pros I've Smashed with, about 75% of each roster has gotten pretty regular play.

Aaand this is where I get most of my enjoyment from the series. Playing with the laid back casuals that have no clue about competitive Smash. The ones I play with just choose the characters they're familiar with and will try to git gud with them. The reasoning is simple. "I like ____ from ____ game, so I wanna use ____". Even if they're getting beat, their fandom (and stubbornness) keeps them going. It's a beautiful thing, really. Eventually, they'll give other characters a try just to see what they can do, but they'll always return to their personal favorite(s).

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I know this is unlikely and all, but since we know gaming icons are in Smash, what would your reaction be if somehow Master Chief (yes, I know he has never been on a Nintendo console, but hey neither was Cloud) got in Smash? And I guarantee you, Sakurai has heard of Halo

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
You know, I'm not the one to typically complain about a waste of a roster slot but if Paper Mario gets in and his moveset is based off of Sticker Star/Color Splash, then I'll complain until the next Nintendo system comes out about how a SS/CS Paper Mario ruined this Smash game.
I know this is unlikely and all, but since we know gaming icons are in Smash, what would your reaction be if somehow Master Chief (yes, I know he has never been on a Nintendo console, but hey neither was Cloud) got in Smash? And I guarantee you, Sakurai has heard of Halo
Cloud was in Kingdom Hearts on the DS.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You know, I'm not the one to typically complain about a waste of a roster slot but if Paper Mario gets in and his moveset is based off of Sticker Star/Color Splash, then I'll complain until the next Nintendo system comes out about how a SS/CS Paper Mario ruined this Smash game.

Okay, that hardly qualifies though

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
Well technically Master Chief was in Minecraft for Switch. But yeah, I see what you mean. That would be a definite suprise though, and maybe Chief wouls be out of place. But with Sakurai, I have come to expect the unexpected
I'd welcome him but Master Chief isn't coming and don't expect him too. What influence has he had on Nintendo's history?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

No reason there can't be material from all the Paper Mario games. But, then again, they focused all of Wario's potential and history on WarioWare.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Imagine aldelaro5 aldelaro5 's rage if the moveset wasn't based around TTYD or PM64. I don't want to see that.
OMG! That is my arch-nemesis. I love the guy, but I HATE his videos. Specifically the ones on Star Fox Zero where he ******* about motion controls and called it Star Fox 64HD & Hey! Pikmin which he claimed wasn't a Pikmin game because Pikmin games are supposed to be about discovering treasure and fighting enemies. WHICH IT IS.

Not saying I like Hey! Pikmin. But, I've been in too many arguments with him on YouTube.

Brrr

Smash Rookie
I'm just curious as to how Captain Toad would be implemented into Smash. Isn't his main flaw not being able to jump?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wonder if Link's redesign has something to do with a lack of tloz newcomers. So they decided to turn the veterans into newcomers. Either way I'd like to see botw Zelda. Seeing botw Zelda disquised as Sheik would be awesome too.

I think it makes more sense to use the design of Link that's so iconic, but I like the idea of going with current designs of some characters. I can see the same happening for Villager.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
So I've been thinking about the rage mechanic and was wondering if it was going to return. Personally I wouldn't mind it returning if they altered it such as making a character like Bowser rage gaining rage sooner, along with reaching the cap sooner and getting more out of it than say someone like Peach. Some characters can be screwed over by rage while others heavily benefit from it.

As for Captain Toad I seriously doubt that he'll be anything other than a background character / trophy. His main flaw as stated is that he can't jump which would put a damper on his playability.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I wonder if Link's redesign has something to do with a lack of tloz newcomers. So they decided to turn the veterans into newcomers. Either way I'd like to see botw Zelda. Seeing botw Zelda disquised as Sheik would be awesome too.

I think it makes more sense to use the design of Link that's so iconic, but I like the idea of going with current designs of some characters. I can see the same happening for Villager.
I was thinking about something like this, too. It's possible for them to completely change Mario, Link, or even Samus' movesets, while the clones would keep their old ones. Thus, Link as we know would be replaced by BOTW Link, with his old moveset being partially kept by Toon Link, Mario as we know would be replaced by Mario Odyssey, while his old moveset would be partially kept by Dr. Mario, etc.
But that would require a lot of work. It's like building a newcomer. So while we might not have as many newcomers as previous games, we could get a lot of new movesets.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm just curious as to how Captain Toad would be implemented into Smash. Isn't his main flaw not being able to jump?
Olimar can't jump either, but yeah, Captain Toad jumping is even more awkward. I'm sure they can work something out. Even Little Mac isn't much in the way of recovery. Sakurai is a clever little mouse who can work his way around pretty much anything.

Apologies for double posting. I was told there was a new post.

I was thinking about something like this, too. It's possible for them to completely change Mario, Link, or even Samus' movesets, while the clones would keep their old ones. Thus, Link as we know would be replaced by BOTW Link, with his old moveset being partially kept by Toon Link, Mario as we know would be replaced by Mario Odyssey, while his old moveset would be partially kept by Dr. Mario, etc.
But that would require a lot of work. It's like building a newcomer. So while we might not have as many newcomers as previous games, we could get a lot of new movesets.
I don't think move sets are going to be "replaced". Mario will have his fireball and super jump and Link will have his bow. I think the most Mario is gonna get from Odyssey is the hat throw, but I don't think it's gonna show Cappy's eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Imagine aldelaro5 aldelaro5 's rage if the moveset wasn't based around TTYD or PM64. I don't want to see that.
My "rage" (it's more disappointement and frustration tbh) has already been done when I learned about color splash.

Because the reality is if it was to happen, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. There's a reason i gave ownership to the old paper mario thread and stopped to support him altogether: it's just extremely unlikely that the moveset will take a significant portion from first 3 games (I include spm because spm is sooooo underrated). The series got completely rebooted in sticker star (I use this word because it completely changed everything) and color splash followed that, it's easy to make the argument that they woudl reflect that in ssb. I don't want that, I don't even want him playable if it was to happen (because at the very worst, I would be completely uninterested), but it would happen most likely.

I am way way more concerned about the series than ssb because currently, i don't have any hope about the series. Someone from IS even said from an interview that the reason cs isn't really a mario rpg (officially, it's an action adventure game) is because m&l exists and it would be a shame to get in the way while in actuality, both series should coexist. Even if they were to realise that people want a remake, I don't even have enough faith to think they would do it right, that's how low my hopes are.

So yeah, I still love the series, but I won't really rage if ssb wouldn't consider the first 3 games enough because I expect it to happen, and it wouldn't be Sakurai or anything ssb fault, but mostly due to the mess nintendo and IS made with the series/ They really need to learn what people want and accordingly make decisions based on accurate informations. I swear sometime, I feel they understood the opposite of the truth.

EDIT:

OMG! That is my arch-nemesis. I love the guy, but I HATE his videos. Specifically the ones on Star Fox Zero where he ******* about motion controls and called it Star Fox 64HD & Hey! Pikmin which he claimed wasn't a Pikmin game because Pikmin games are supposed to be about discovering treasure and fighting enemies. WHICH IT IS.

Not saying I like Hey! Pikmin. But, I've been in too many arguments with him on YouTube.
You are mistaken, I am clearly not the person you are reffering to, my only yt videos are glitches I found with spm and one about TTYD.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Olimar can't jump either, but yeah, Captain Toad jumping is even more awkward. I'm sure they can work something out. Even Little Mac isn't much in the way of recovery. Sakurai is a clever little mouse who can work his way around pretty much anything.
Well keep in mind that not being able to jump in a game isn't that same as a character directly stated that they couldn't jump. It's part of his character, and it makes him who he is.

Jumping is integral to Smash. If Captain Toad is to be considered, he's either going to be made to jump or it'll be seen as a hurdle too big to jump. I'm of the belief that Sakurai will simply forgo Captain Toad's inability to jump for the sake of how Smash works, though at the end of they day I would MUCH rather see Toad than Captain Toad.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
My "rage" (it's more disappointement and frustration tbh) has already been done when I learned about color splash.

Because the reality is if it was to happen, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. There's a reason i gave ownership to the old paper mario thread and stopped to support him altogether: it's just extremely unlikely that the moveset will take a significant portion from first 3 games (I include spm because spm is sooooo underrated). The series got completely rebooted in sticker star (I use this word because it completely changed everything) and color splash followed that, it's easy to make the argument that they woudl reflect that in ssb. I don't want that, I don't even want him playable if it was to happen (because at the very worst, I would be completely uninterested), but it would happen most likely.

I am way way more concerned about the series than ssb because currently, i don't have any hope about the series. Someone from IS even said from an interview that the reason cs isn't really a mario rpg (officially, it's an action adventure game) is because m&l exists and it would be a shame to get in the way while in actuality, both series should coexist. Even if they were to realise that people want a remake, I don't even have enough faith to think they would do it right, that's how low my hopes are.

So yeah, I still love the series, but I won't really rage if ssb wouldn't consider the first 3 games enough because I expect it to happen, and it wouldn't be Sakurai or anything ssb fault, but mostly due to the mess nintendo and IS made with the series/ They really need to learn what people want and accordingly make decisions based on accurate informations. I swear sometime, I feel they understood the opposite of the truth.
Sakurai isn't dumb, he'd pull from the first 3.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Sakurai isn't dumb, he'd pull from the first 3.
See here's the problem.

Sakurai really doesn't have much to do with it. No matter which way it goes, it's Sakurai, he's a genius at moveset ideas which has been proven multiple time.

The problem is the most logical decision here. ssb as a series tries to reflect nintendo's franchises in a fighting game, that's prettu much the entire premise of the game. Now, that also means that if the franchises themselves were to change, changes should be made in ssb. Many existing characters got a lot of changes from ssbb because of this, new additions were also justified because of this. Now, sure, the characters may try to reflect the entire franchise history, but there's many many factor here, what is the most relevant about the franchise? What people are more aware about it? There's many factor that decides what would be a logical way to see a character.

But Paper Mario was never added in the game as of now and while ssb was moving on, the series changed drastically. So if they were to add him, it would only make sense to use the most recent representation because it has been changed since 5-6 years (add more because if they were to release a game on switch, likely add 3 years), not that the original one isn't relevant (in fact, pm64 was released in 1999-2000 so it's a pretty big streak of 3 games with the mario rpg idea), but this is such a change that it's impossible to overlook it.

So tbh, if Sakurai was to mostly consider the 2 lattest game, he wouldn't be dumb, it would be a logical decision.

EDIT: about the stage, this is a special case because I have no complains about it, at the time, the series had no representation so to have TTYD and ss was really the best, even I never expected a stage so I am actually happy about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom