• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I see, this is where everyone is discussing Smash Switch. Well, I hope I can get along here alongside the Nintenzone thread. :grin:

I see many familiar faces here! :grin:
Long time, no see Blue!
It's funny how just a teaser annoucement for a game can bring back so many people who took a break or even left the community.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Please don´t cut Duck Hunt Duo Please don´t cut Duck Hunt Duo Please don´t cut Duck Hunt Duo
Please bring back Ice Climbers Please bring back Ice Climbers Please bring back Ice Climbers Please bring back Ice Climbers

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Please don´t cut Duck Hunt Duo Please don´t cut Duck Hunt Duo Please don´t cut Duck Hunt Duo
Please bring back Ice Climbers Please bring back Ice Climbers Please bring back Ice Climbers Please bring back Ice Climbers
Duck Hunt is kinda in the same boat as ROB and Game and Watch in my opinion. I don't expect to lose Duck Hunt Dog as long as Sakurai is in charge because he really likes his strange, unique characters.

D

Deleted member

Weather it’s a port or not dosen’t really matter to me I’m going to enjoy it regardless. Hoping Mario gets a bit of a moveset revamp maybe add his hammer from the Mario and Luigi games also maybe add Cappy and Mario can capture enemies for a while. Super Mario Odyssey is my favourite game and Cappy one of my favourite characters in the series. So I’d love this.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
The one issue i had with smash 4 was the lack of alternate costumes for characters. PM def stepped it up and gave everyone 10 alternates each, thats one of the many things i love about PM. We def need more costumes in 5mash. I DEF want the climbers back!

along with balloon fighter

i def want to see more og nintendo characters. We need more earthbound characters outside of ness and lucas, i vote for paula,jeff, poo,minch bros, and or the apple kid

Stanley and DK Jr lol

My list is long af lol but def want more classic nitendo characters that didnt get their shot in the other games

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Considering that the Ice Climbers were cut from 4 due to hardware limitations for the 3DS, I don't see why they wouldn't come back this time.

It might be a bit early to call it, but I think we have good reason to be confident in the Climbers returning for this one.

D

Deleted member

Insert but Ridley is to big meme here. But honestly I hope the Ridley fans get something someday.,

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Him too but buff the h*** out of him, felt too basic to use in smash 4 since his brawl nerf. Would be cool to see him with a diff move set and have all the pilots as alternate colors

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Considering that the Ice Climbers were cut from 4 due to hardware limitations for the 3DS, I don't see why they wouldn't come back this time.

It might be a bit early to call it, but I think we have good reason to be confident in the Climbers returning for this one.
I agree. I think if they are pulling a lot of assets from Wii U, there should definitely be time to include Ice Climbers. As you point out, they weren't even intended to get cut in the first place. Something to consider with dev time towards characters is that based on what we know, they have spent about as much time on this game as they did Smash for Wii U/3ds. Without the 3DS version, all resources are being dedicated to this individual version of the game rather than split between two consoles. There should certainly be more time to work on lost veterans. Of course this is entirely speculation, but I think we can afford to be a little optimistic with character expectations.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
I agree. I think if they are pulling a lot of assets from Wii U, there should definitely be time to include Ice Climbers. As you point out, they weren't even intended to get cut in the first place. Something to consider with dev time towards characters is that based on what we know, they have spent about as much time on this game as they did Smash for Wii U/3ds. Without the 3DS version, all resources are being dedicated to this individual version of the game rather than split between two consoles. There should certainly be more time to work on lost veterans. Of course this is entirely speculation, but I think we can afford to be a little optimistic with character expectations.

all i want are the ice comerades back along with balloon fighter, since he was replaced by ice climbers in melee.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Something that I hope to occur is the return of F-Zero stage from 3DS returns! That stage is dope.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Seeing all of the support threads, old Smash 4 speculators coming back, and the RTC game having a new session, it brings a lot of nostalgia.

I will probably frequently post on RTC as a way to talk with the community here. I look forward to more discussion! :estatic:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I have been saying that's simply too early to call certain things or jump to conclusions, but I think we can make an exception for them. There was nothing except for hardware limitations preventing the Climbers from coming back, as far as we know We can't yet reasonably say anything else would prevent their return now that the hardware is no longer an issue.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmm, I think you are correct. Although, I'm not entirely sure of the context still. I can only hope we weren't the originators of "...So which user would you ship me with?" that was happening just the other day here. I know I was a total suck up to you which probably formed the basis of our team. But eh now you ain't a big deal. You make some decent posts I guess. :p
Ehh every once in a while my words slip out kinda good. But I try not to make a habit of it. :p

And hard no that wasn't me, I still don't "get" shipping. v_v

Yeesh I don't want to think about that. Sadly my life has changed oh so little since then. 2018, this'll be the year I'm a responsible adult! :awesome:
Yeeee! I believe in you! Carpe diem! Seize the fish! ^_^

Yep I made the mistake of looking at my old accounts post history... good god I hope early Holder of the Heel wasn't anything close to that edgy and abbreviated mess. Back then I didn't know what the enter key was either apparently.

And eh, you joke but for what it's worth I don't remember you being ******. Although maybe I'd have made more of a note of that if I wasn't the biggest push-over ha.
What's funny is five years down the line and I probably would've had the exact same response as I did in that video. :laugh:
So obviously my maturity is coming along great. :p

And don't be so hard on yourself, you made for a fantastic minion.

Yep! Probably the best worst decision you made. People were making cosplay requests... gosh we were so lame. I played it cool though because that's just who I am. :shades:
Oh, it was... uh... interesting, lol. Everyone was very nice, if nothing else.
Except you, you're much too cool to get shook. Like a glacier. :shades:

Actually, I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. Oh, here it is!

:troll:
Awww I remember that, that was before my hair started going and I began putting on weight. What a dime I once was. :p

Yea totally! Can't wait for Geno to be revealed!
...Fair point though, I will stay on topic now that I've done some reminiscing. :psycho: Sorry powers that be!
You're crazy, this is obviously Non-Specific Action Figure's time to shine. :awesome:

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I will say this. It's gonna be funny with Ice Climbers and Rosalina.
Because like the one thing Ice Climbers were really good at has been removed, and apart from that they were okay but nothing spectacular.

There is a possible argument of them being a worse Rosa. At least Rosa's partner comes back.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Captain Toad wouldn't work in Smash, he doesn't even fight in his own games.
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii
R.O.B
Duck Hunt
Game & Watch
Villager

Also, that's not true: Turnip, Pickaxe, etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man
I am not ready to get back onto Sakurai's wild ride.

Reminder. This is probably a new game. Ridley is a free man again
Well I am ready to spend the majority of my free time looking at this speculation thread and looking for Smash for Switch leaks or news. I am glued to Sakurai's wild ride, and I already like it.
DANCING.gif

In fact, I changed my name-tag in Smash 4 to "SmshSwitch".
Keep up the good work guys, I love it! I love how this thread is really active and that is what I was looking for quite a long time. I am really excited to play every single character! The Inklings are guaranteed, but the beginning part where the two fight reveal something about their move-sets. I think they are going to make it exactly like Splatoon where they use the same weapons, turn into a squid and run out of ink like in the Splatoon series.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I will say this. It's gonna be funny with Ice Climbers and Rosalina.
Because like the one thing Ice Climbers were really good at has been removed, and apart from that they were okay but nothing spectacular.

There is a possible argument of them being a worse Rosa. At least Rosa's partner comes back.
To my understanding they don't really play anything alike, though.

The gimmicks are somewhat similar, but that's about it.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Man
I am not ready to get back onto Sakurai's wild ride.

Reminder. This is probably a new game. Ridley is a free man again
Still on his size's prison though :troll:

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so i've finally caught up. i've been seeing some responses about dr. mario and mimikyu. for those two i say eww. please dont. we dont need clones. dr. mario isn't worth having around as a character. one mario is enough for any smash game. and mimikyu can be a pokeball pokemon. decidueye seems more fitting as a fighter than mimikyu.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To my understanding they don't really play anything alike, though.

The gimmicks are somewhat similar, but that's about it.
Both essentially revolve around the same concept. Two characters meant to be controlled by the player at the same time.

The only major separation concept wise is Rosa losing Luma is not as damaging as Popo losing Nana. Apart from that you do play them in a very similar way (especially with desyncing)

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
so i've finally caught up. i've been seeing some responses about dr. mario and mimikyu. for those two i say eww. please dont. we dont need clones. dr. mario isn't worth having around as a character. one mario is enough for any smash game. and mimikyu can be a pokeball pokemon. decidueye seems more fitting as a fighter than mimikyu.
We have discussed this on this thread like a billion times, but it seems like this discussion will never end.

Clones don't need to "deserve" being on the roster. They're just extra characters added when there's a little development time left for the game. They don't really steal the spot of any "deserving" character

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Both essentially revolve around the same concept. Two characters meant to be controlled by the player at the same time.

The only major separation concept wise is Rosa losing Luma is not as damaging as Popo losing Nana. Apart from that you do play them in a very similar way (especially with desyncing)
However the player has direct control over Luma where Nana is technically an AI.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Captain Toad wouldn't work in Smash, he doesn't even fight in his own games.

Game will probably be released in November, around the time SSB4 was released. Christmas sales are gud.
List of characters who don't fight in their own games:
:4falcon::4duckhunt::4drmario::4miif::4gaw::4peach::4rob::rosalina::4wiifit::4villager::4olimar:

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
So tell me, what exactly does it hurt to have Dr. Mario there? Taking him out isn't going to make a unique character magically appear, it's just one less character choice, as has been mentioned a million times. Dr. Mario is fun and more than worthy of a spot on the roster, representing one of the oldest spinoffs Nintendo has. He's also the only puzzle game rep in Smash.

All this moaning about clones. Kills me how this fanbase constantly whines about getting MORE content. Don't like them, don't play them, no one's going to hold a gun to your head and force you to pick Dr. Mario.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We have discussed this on this thread like a billion times, but it seems like this discussion will never end.

Clones don't need to "deserve" being on the roster. They're just extra characters added when there's a little development time left for the game. They don't really steal the spot of any "deserving" character
Well it's going to keep recurring because we're not the developers. So it's great they were easy to add, but just because they were a simple addition doesn't mean they're necessarily wanted or close to as merited as others, which can make them conspicuous and feel superfluous. Especially when you just abandon them at the bottom of the CSS. Dr. Mario is pretty random as a character on the roster, I get what he's saying. Like yeah he's had a couple games, but if he were never part of Smash no one would care. Doc probably isn't going anywhere, and people need to make their peace with clones, but the character doesn't do anything for me either.

Like bringing back Young Link might be easy to do, but I wouldn't want him to return.

So tell me, what exactly does it hurt to have Dr. Mario there? Taking him out isn't going to make a unique character magically appear, it's just one less character choice, as has been mentioned a million times. Dr. Mario is fun and more than worthy of a spot on the roster, representing one of the oldest spinoffs Nintendo has. He's also the only puzzle game rep in Smash.

All this moaning about clones. Kills me how this fanbase constantly whines about getting MORE content. Don't like them, don't play them, no one's going to hold a gun to your head and force you to pick Dr. Mario.
Fans moan about everything and anything when it comes to Smash, for some reason people only really push back when it's the characters as if the roster is infallible. It's a thing to behold.

Rizen

Smash Legend
This thread moves fast considering how little has been announced.

OT it was funny listening to the "non-threatening" male voice actor try to sell Darksouls and Little Nightmares and the "non-threatening" female actor try to hype Mario Tennis. Ninendo's treating them like baby's first M rated game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
However the player has direct control over Luma where Nana is technically an AI.
Nana's AI is such that she does all your inputs.
I get there is a lot of technicalities behind this (Nana recovering and the like), but overall the goal of Nana's AI is to do what you do.

Semantics can have us go back and forth here. But I would argue generally she is controlled by the player unless told otherwise.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The only reasons I don't have issues with clones (the ones that are so extremely similar to the originals anyway) is because they don't take up much development time, and I don't really think it's fair to say they "take up a slot" from any other character when they're typically low priority.

I don't personally like Dark Pit's presence in the game but in the long run he really isn't causing any kind of harm to me. He's just sort of....there. Wouldn't complain if he was cut, don't have much at all to complain about if he stays.

The thing is, they wouldn't be the only characters in Smash to have similar concept or play similar to one and other.

The concepts are similar but I don't see how the ICs would be made totally redundant by them. Especially when changes could be made to the pair to further differentiate them, as well as to make the ICs more viable to begin with.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122

taking him out and replacing him with an original character. he's a waste of time and space in a smash game. all clones are. i hope they all get cut.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The thing is, they wouldn't be the only characters in Smash to have similar concept or play similar to one and other.

The concepts are similar but I don't see how the ICs would be made totally redundant by them. Especially when changes could be made to the pair to further differentiate them, as well as to make the ICs more viable to begin with.
I never said they would be redundant.
Hell my first post referred to both of them being in the same game.
I just want to make this clear I'm not arguing whether Ice Climbers should come back. I've mentioned it here before I think they're going to be back. It's more matchup speculation on how they'd do as opposed to Rosalina.

I main Toon Link for heaven's sake. I'd be a hypocrite if I talked about another character getting cut for being too similar.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
taking him out and replacing him with an original character. he's a waste of time and space in a smash game. all clones are. i hope they all get cut.
Well by that statement, its clear you're ignoring what Sakurai himself has said as well as the fact that many of us have pointed out that clones do not effect the number of original characters in the game.

Morbi

Scavenger
The only reasons I don't have issues with clones (the ones that are so extremely similar to the originals anyway) is because they don't take up much development time, and I don't really think it's fair to say they "take up a slot" from any other character when they're typically low priority.

I don't personally like Dark Pit's presence in the game but in the long run he really isn't causing any kind of harm to me. He's just sort of....there. Wouldn't complain if he was cut, don't have much at all to complain about if he stays.

In Melee was it not technically the clones or Dedede? I personally prefer the clones, but depending on the amount it absolutely can take up a slot. I doubt it did for Brawl or Smash 4. The potential is there though. Beyond taking up a slot, they potentially take up other resources regardless. I am usually a fan of clone characters, but there is usually a cost.

Rizen

Smash Legend
ICs could have been really fun in SSB4, made into balanced characters like MK was. I'd like to see them return.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Well it's going to keep recurring because we're not the developers. So it's great they were easy to add, but just because they were a simple addition doesn't mean they're necessarily wanted or close to as merited as others, which can make them conspicuous and feel superfluous. Especially when you just abandon them at the bottom of the CSS. Dr. Mario is pretty random as a character on the roster, I get what he's saying. Like yeah he's had a couple games, but if he were never part of Smash no one would care. Doc probably isn't going anywhere, and people need to make their peace with clones, but the character doesn't do anything for me either.

Like bringing back Young Link might be easy to do, but I wouldn't want him to return.

Fans moan about everything and anything when it comes to Smash, for some reason people only really push back when it's the characters as if the roster is infallible. It's a thing to behold.
Not liking a clone character, or any character, is all well and good. We're all entitled to our own opinions. But to see all the moaning and whining and calling for a character's removal in just about every character thread across the internet, because you don't like said character, really makes me mad. The world does not revolve around you. I hate Jigglypuff. Have since day one. I hate it in Smash, I hate it in Pokemon, I always thought its spot on the roster would have been better served given to Mewtwo, or Meowth, or Charizard, and if it got cut tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it. But someone would. I know it. I've had my main cut twice, I know the sting. And you don't see me crying about Jigglypuff everywhere.

(Note that I am not accusing you of doing this, just speaking generally.)

We grow attached to the characters we like, and we get defensive when people start calling for them to be cut. I just get tired of all the negativity and finger-pointing. I dealt with it a lot with Wolf, I deal with it a lot now with Roy and Corrin, and if either/both of them get axed, deep down, I'm going to think that all the anti-FE b****ing had something to do with it, even if it isn't the case.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I actually ran through about, 10 pages.

Mario hasn't been the same since Brawl. It all went to ruins once Mario lost his B Down iconic tornado, because it sucks as an air move. I don't know what Sakurai was thinking. But, F.L.U.D.D isn't helping his case.

Dr. Mario already peaked by Melee and is now a force. Even his projectiles are killer. Its like he's who Mario could have been.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I never said they would be redundant.
Hell my first post referred to both of them being in the same game.

I just want to make this clear I'm not arguing whether Ice Climbers should come back. I've mentioned it here before I think they're going to be back. It's more matchup speculation on how they'd do as opposed to Rosalina.
I think I misinterpreted your first post about that. My apologies there....

I do think they could still hold up against Rosalina well, if handled right. Should they come back in the next game (which I'm currently anticipating they do) I think, like many characters before them, they're gonna be overhauled in some ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom