• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
ICs could have been really fun in SSB4, made into balanced characters like MK was. I'd like to see them return.
Being honest, in many ways they're already balanced.
Like the big thing that broke them was chaingrabbing. Their 0-death chain grab was pretty much one of if not the only reason they were stupid good in Brawl. And that's been taken out in Smash 4.

Hell even in Melee they were only like B on the tier list, and Brawl they were mid for a while until their chaingrabs really started getting used.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Not liking a clone character, or any character, is all well and good. We're all entitled to our own opinions. But to see all the moaning and whining and calling for a character's removal in just about every character thread across the internet, because you don't like said character, really makes me mad. The world does not revolve around you. I hate Jigglypuff. Have since day one. I hate it in Smash, I hate it in Pokemon, I always thought its spot on the roster would have been better served given to Mewtwo, or Meowth, or Charizard, and if it got cut tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it. But someone would. I know it. I've had my main cut twice, I know the sting. And you don't see me crying about Jigglypuff everywhere.

(Note that I am not accusing you of doing this, just speaking generally.)

We grow attached to the characters we like, and we get defensive when people start calling for them to be cut. I just get tired of all the negativity and finger-pointing. I dealt with it a lot with Wolf, I deal with it a lot now with Roy and Corrin, and if either/both of them get axed, deep down, I'm going to think that all the anti-FE b****ing had something to do with it, even if it isn't the case.
I mean I get your point, but you just took the time to pat yourself on the back on saying how you never ask for Jigglypuff's removal, while showing your disdain for her in the game.

Y'all need to realize that no one here is going to get what they want 100%, and people's ideal Smash Bros is all going to be different. If some people want characters cut, or all the cuts reinstated it's something that we all should just live with, and be able to share.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I feel like clones being in the game and people getting annoyed about them might be more based on how they get to have huge spotlight shone on them over the characters that they wanted to see.

While clones end up being (arguably) on the "uninspired" side despite their easy creation, they however do get enjoy so much of the benefits that come from being a playable character (Relevancy, fandom prosperity, etc) - which doesn't flow too well on their value as a fighter from the big picture compared to more unique characters.

Basically an odd "low risk, high reward"-thing that clones get to enjoy big benefit from fandom-wise (:4darkpit::4lucina:), that is pointlessly tangled on being a detriment/scapegoat to why unique characters aren't around that'd deserve such "much more than these waste of space" - even if so many times before, this has been proven false.

Captain Toad wouldn't work in Smash, he doesn't even fight in his own games.
Yet does this guy, and we haven't ever seen him notably so far in this whole series.

Joking aside, it's been proven quite redundant how someone fighting experience affects the inclusion of a newcomer. (Make Your Move-thread, anyone?) :050:

On my stance on Captain Toad, I see him as an Assist at best in this game by this point. Sakurai can't ignore his grown presence on main Mario-titles, but keeping in tandem with his overall averse stance on Toad being a fighter, builds Captain Toad's lack of jumping as a way to advertise his Assist Trophy-functions during the day we see him in a "daily update"-esque thing in the future.

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
The only reasons I don't have issues with clones (the ones that are so extremely similar to the originals anyway) is because they don't take up much development time, and I don't really think it's fair to say they "take up a slot" from any other character when they're typically low priority.
The problem comes when multiple (very similar)clones take the place of a new character.
I don't mind as much if they're clones like Fox & Falco with a good amount of difference.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I mean I get your point, but you just took the time to pat yourself on the back on saying how you never ask for Jigglypuff's removal, while showing your disdain for her in the game.

Y'all need to realize that no one here is going to get what they want 100%, and people's ideal Smash Bros is all going to be different. If some people want characters cut, or all the cuts reinstated it's something that we all should just live with, and be able to share.
I think the problem with the clone discussion is that the people calling for their removal are almost always saying removing the clones would provide room for an additional fully unique character, which Sakurai has gone on the record saying we were either getting the clones or nothing. Not to mention it has been pointed out several times recently in this thread and they are just choosing to ignore it.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel like clones being in the game and people getting annoyed about them might be more based on how they get to have huge spotlight shone on them over the characters that they wanted to see, on top of being uninspired yet getting so much of the benefits (Relevancy, fandom prosperity, etc) that come from being a playable character that doesn't flow too well on their value as a fighter from the big picture compared to more unique characters

Hence why there's arguments about how they should taken out to make way for a more "unique" characters instead (usually falling on fan favorites that aren't as prone to be clones.)

Yet does this guy, and we haven't ever seen him so far.

Joking aside, it's been proven quite redundant how someone fighting experience affects the inclusion of a newcomer. (Make Your Move-thread, anyone?)

On my stance on Captain Toad, I see him as an Assist at best in this game by this point. Sakurai can't ignore his grown presence on main Mario-titles, but keeping in tandem with his overall averse stance on Toad being a fighter, builds Captain Toad's lack of jumping as a way to advertise his Assist Trophy-functions during the day we see him in a "daily update"-esque thing in the future.
I feel as though Sakurai ignores a lot of characters with presence and fail to see why he would make an exception for Toad.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
In Melee was it not technically the clones or Dedede? I personally prefer the clones, but depending on the amount it absolutely can take up a slot. I doubt it did for Brawl or Smash 4. The potential is there though. Beyond taking up a slot, they potentially take up other resources regardless. I am usually a fan of clone characters, but there is usually a cost.
I know Dedede was planned for the first Smash game on the N64. I can't find any information indicating that he was scrapped from Melee as well for that specific reason.

I mean, I guess they do take up resources, but in the cases of characters like Dark Pit and Lucina, it's usually very little.

The problem comes when multiple (very similar)clones take the place of a new character.
Has this actually ever really happened, though? Or at least with Brawl and/or 4?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Except that's literally NEVER happened. The only example of this is Sakurai SPECULATING that he could have put King Dedede in Super Smash Bros Melee, but it would have been at the cost of all six clones.

The clones in all Super Smash Bros games were added AFTER the roster was COMPLETE. So they aren't taking the place of ANYONE. The whole reason clones are added is so there are MORE characters.

I'm so glad Sakurai owned people who try to push this mentality that clones are lazy and take someone else's place:

"This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

That is my favorite quote from him.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yknow, cutting clones from Smash to make room for new characters makes absolutely zero sense, as it takes far less time for clones to be added then full characters. Plus. as TheLastJinjo TheLastJinjo said, they're added at the end of development when the roster is completed.

This is the reason clones get added; they have spare development time, and use it to put in a few additional characters as a little bonus.

Clones never replaced anyone. I ****ing hate this mentality so much.

And before anyone mentions it, Dedede in Melee was a weird case. It's said it was either going to be him or the clones, but he's also said him not wanting to overrepresent his own series played a part in it. The clones situation probably helped with the end result, but it wasn't the end-all be-all.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Here's a quote from the man himself on the Smash 4 clones specifically, and I would imagine his philosophy towards them going forward:
"There are 3 fighters [Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario] that are alternate models (clones) in the game. Each was originally a color variation, but during development, they were given balanced characteristics. Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch."

Source:
https://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-the-clone-characters-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I recall having heard something like this a few times in the past.

Do you have a source for this?
Don't remember exactly, I'll have to check on my laptop later.

When adding a clone character, I skip some of the animation, but work on balancing is not decreased at all. Break the Targets, Trophies and more still need to be made.

If I could add one or two more characters, then [Wario] could have gotten in. Of all the characters I discarded, [he’s] ranked near the top. "
-Sakurai

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think the problem with the clone discussion is that the people calling for their removal are almost always saying removing the clones would provide room for an additional fully unique character, which Sakurai has gone on the record saying we were either getting the clones or nothing. Not to mention it has been pointed out several times recently in this thread and they are just choosing to ignore it.
Alright, I feel y'all on that

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Don't remember exactly, I'll have to check on my laptop later.

When adding a clone character, I skip some of the animation, but work on balancing is not decreased at all. Break the Targets, Trophies and more still need to be made.

If I could add one or two more characters, then [Wario] could have gotten in. Of all the characters I discarded, [he’s] ranked near the top. "
-Sakurai
This is still not the equivalent of "clones taking the place of another character". Sakurai made a choice. He wanted the roster to have more characters and I believe he said he discarded Wario because there were already a lot of Mario characters and he wanted to add characters from other games such as Marth & Mr. Game & Watch.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Also, I feel like this is something important to say:
Clones have always been part of fighting games. Smash Bros isn't the first game to realize the concept of characters that play similar.
Ryu and Ken
Guile and Nash
Kyo and Iori from King of Fighters
Ryo and Robert from Art of Fighting
Hell Tekken has a **** ton of clones appearing in different games.
Or **** look at Shotoclones.

And the thing is, a lot of those characters are beloved by the fighting game community. I certainly have yet to see a reason why Nash shouldn't have been in SFV because Guile exists.
Clone characters aren't inherently bad, nor by them existing are we missing out on someone else.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well, there we go, team. A little bit of research and the clones taking places argument has been debunked (again). Let's get off the clone argument and proceed with a more constructive discussion. What stages are y'all hoping to see? I'm excited to see the inevitable Splatoon stage. I hope its competitively viable, but I'm excited to see what wacky mechanic it winds up getting.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You guys have to understand that with a new reveal, people of all ages are flocking in that have never even been on this site.

The whole "clones taking the place of other characters" is the simple minded equivalent of "If we evolved from chimps then why are there still chimps?"

It's a conclusion based on ignorance and a lack of understanding.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Wow, it's been a hot minute (or a few years) since I've been back here. Just heard the news and I can't say that I'm not excited for speculation season to start up again! I'm glad to be back!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not liking a clone character, or any character, is all well and good. We're all entitled to our own opinions. But to see all the moaning and whining and calling for a character's removal in just about every character thread across the internet, because you don't like said character, really makes me mad. The world does not revolve around you. I hate Jigglypuff. Have since day one. I hate it in Smash, I hate it in Pokemon, I always thought its spot on the roster would have been better served given to Mewtwo, or Meowth, or Charizard, and if it got cut tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it. But someone would. I know it. I've had my main cut twice, I know the sting. And you don't see me crying about Jigglypuff everywhere.

(Note that I am not accusing you of doing this, just speaking generally.)

We grow attached to the characters we like, and we get defensive when people start calling for them to be cut. I just get tired of all the negativity and finger-pointing. I dealt with it a lot with Wolf, I deal with it a lot now with Roy and Corrin, and if either/both of them get axed, deep down, I'm going to think that all the anti-FE b****ing had something to do with it, even if it isn't the case.
If people can't separate their feelings for a character with reasoning behind their possible cut, they need to work on their pragmatism. My favourite character is Cloud and I make no illusions towards his uncertain fate nor do I take issue with him being, by far, the character most frequently discussed as a possible cut. Congrats for tolerating Jigglypuff and all, but no one is suggesting a character be removed on the sole basis of a distaste for them. If they were, they would get lit up faster than this gentleman and his thoughts about Doc.

No roster is going to please everyone, and cuts are going to happen. You're right, the world doesn't revolve around you, and you might lose a character you like. But honestly if we had to lose anyone, the clones would be the best call, as their movesets would be preserved, more or less, through other characters, and they themselves are divisive as characters. And I'm not echoing Retroen's exact sentiments regarding Doc, but I get why he's not as beloved as others on the roster.

Obviously we would not receive an original character at the cost of a clone, but I completely understand why many aren't keen on them, and the counter-argument they are most often presented with is one that seemingly would console a developer more than a fan. Fantastic that they're an easy addition, that won't change people viewing them as an inferior one, should they be of that mindset.

So really, from your perspective of mitigating upset, Doc probably would be among the best choices for cuts.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well, there we go, team. A little bit of research and the clones taking places argument has been debunked (again). Let's get off the clone argument and proceed with a more constructive discussion. What stages are y'all hoping to see? I'm excited to see the inevitable Splatoon stage. I hope its competitively viable, but I'm excited to see what wacky mechanic it winds up getting.
I just want an actual Bowser's Castle stage.

I also feel like we may be getting an oversaturation of the Delfino Plaza style "tour" stages. There are a lot of stages that transform between multiple different layouts and locations, and while a few are ok, I like stages that are just one location.
I get it, _______ is a game that a lot of different unique locations in it, but that doesn't mean we need to cram all of them into one Smash stage.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm still waiting for my Virtual Boy stage.

It's a hot garbage console but I also want my garish color scheme of neon red and black. Make it happen Nintendo I believe in you.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Bring back Great Bay and Fountain of Dreams in glorious HD and my inner nerd would be overjoyed.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yeah, Lip would have a lot of potential surprisingly. I'm down for her. A move set actually based on a puzzle game.
My most wanted characters for Smash 4 were Lip, Inklings, Lyn, and Ray from Custom Robo. If Lip or anything Panel De Pon were to be added, I'd be pretty hype.

D

Deleted member

Sad no one mentions Excitebike Racer. He was an assist trophy in Brawl after all. The way I see it, an actual biker character would be great. Sure we got Wario and all, but he just uses a bike for one move. A biker character like Excitebike Racer could have great potential, and would be a nice retro character.

Also Issac, Crash Bandicoot and Bandanna Dee please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom