• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Me, but my idea has been shot down here. Was just hoping something could happen to bring us together.

-

More info from SourceGaming.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Me, but my idea has been shot down here. Was just hoping something could happen to bring us together.

-

Interesting. I wanted it to be a port, but if it does turn out to be a new game, I won't mind. I wonder who exactly will develop the game, though? It may likely be Sora LTD, but will Namco Bandai be involved this time as well?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The fan demand is for the characters to REMAIN seperate lmao.
Dark Pit is a character.
Lucina is actually high tier.
Doc fans don't like his direction but that can easily change with some buffs.

Come back when you're fit for debate and actually know what you're on about.

No it’s not. Nobody wants to play as worse versions of other characters. Cut the elitism.

Dark Pit is awful. I quite literally wrote the book on them way back when. There’s literally only four moves that have any difference at all, and it’s only four because they forgot to buff one of them with Pit. His usage rate was approaching zero last I heard. Pit’s was many times higher.

Lucina is still just a worse Marth. You feel like you’re handicapping yourself the moment you pick her. Again, poor usage rate even with the apparent popularity and vocal minority that is Smashboards and the like.

Doc is a massive disservice to Melee Doc fans. Buffing him to something like Melee Doc is like buffing Dorf to be Captain Falcon. He’s used by Mario players as a niche counterpick... Which ironically puts him far ahead of the rest in usage. But to say he’s the same character as before is just blatantly wrong.

Sakurai can look at the data from every Smash player and see the truth.

I have a question for you (and everyone interested).

What kind of characters you actually consider unique?
That’s not a simple question.

In order to be unique a character needs to have a unique role or niche. Some are simple, some are complex. Mario’s an all arounder, while Robin for example is a zoner with resource management.

Corrin doesn’t really stand out or do anything special. He’s a remixed Ike with some long stabby moves. Sure all the moves have different animations but the net result is incredibly similar. Which is probably a major reason the Ike population took a five after his release. He’s largely a better Ike.

Smash 4 Falco isn’t really a unique character. No he’s not similar to Fox but instead characters like Luigi and Ryu do everything he does better. Falco is a slow CQC character with, well, it’s technically a projectile. Luigi is also a slow CQC character but he can force approaches. Ryu is less slow and has better approach options. ...And a better projectile too, though it’s still trash lol.

People like to meme about the “functions” stuff with Marvel but Smash has long reached a point the function matters more than the who.

D

Deleted member

No it’s not. Nobody wants to play as worse versions of other characters. Cut the elitism.

Dark Pit is awful. I quite literally wrote the book on them way back when. There’s literally only four moves that have any difference at all, and it’s only four because they forgot to buff one of them with Pit. His usage rate was approaching zero last I heard. Pit’s was many times higher.

Lucina is still just a worse Marth. You feel like you’re handicapping yourself the moment you pick her. Again, poor usage rate even with the apparent popularity and vocal minority that is Smashboards and the like.

Doc is a massive disservice to Melee Doc fans. Buffing him to something like Melee Doc is like buffing Dorf to be Captain Falcon. He’s used by Mario players as a niche counterpick... Which ironically puts him far ahead of the rest in usage. But to say he’s the same character as before is just blatantly wrong.

In order to be unique a character needs to have a unique role or niche. Some are simple, some are complex. Mario’s an all arounder, while Robin for example is a zoner with resource management.

Corrin doesn’t really stand out or do anything special. He’s a remixed Ike with some long stabby moves. Sure all the moves have different animations but the net result is incredibly similar. Which is probably a major reason the Ike population took a five after his release. He’s largely a better Ike.

Smash 4 Falco isn’t really a unique character. No he’s not similar to Fox but instead characters like Luigi and Ryu do everything he does better. Falco is a slow CQC character with, well, it’s technically a projectile. Luigi is also a slow CQC character but he can force approaches. Ryu is less slow and has better approach options. ...And a better projectile too, though it’s still trash lol.

People like to meme about the “functions” stuff with Marvel but Smash has long reached a point the function matters more than the who.
horse.gif

Stop bringing up this argument. I heard this argument like a million times.

I like clone characters a lot and sure they have identical move-sets, but great characters are able to fight. Clones are a great way to add fighters in a short amount of time and they offer more to the series. Think about it, Ganondorf was a clone of Falcon in Melee and look how different he is. If it was not for clones we would of not had Luigi and Ganondorf's fun move-sets. I say we keep all clones from Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I mean I would like Doc back. Sure he's absolutely garbage in 4 but I have a soft spot for beefy doctor man.
I think he could be fun if buffed, I don't mind his existence. All he really needs is some fine tuning and not a universal buff/nerf to all his stats.

Also Melee Megavitamins.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Dr. Mario is way more fun than Mario in this game. And he has better taunts, victory animations, and standing animations. It would be a shame if he left us ever again.

D

Deleted member

Sonic < Knuckles
That meme can honestly burn.
Dr. Mario is way more fun than Mario in this game. And he has better taunts, victory animations, and standing animations. It would be a shame if he left us ever again.
I am sorry but Doctor Mario needs new taunts. His taunts are actually garbage and Mario's victory poses are better than Doctor Mario's victory poses as well. Doctor Mario is fun to play actually, but I hope Smash for Switch gives him a little more speed. In fact there are quite some fighters that still need buffs badly, like Jigglypuff and King Dedede.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I mean if you truly want to base your opinion on nothing beyond absolute surface-level details about a character, you might as well play Smash 64 and enjoy its small roster of completely unique characters. For anyone who goes more in-depth with the game, its clear what advantages/disadvantages clones all bear, and they are all their own unique character, even if the difference is minor. Besides, losing clones doesn't add anything to the game. As has been stated in the past, clones take almost no dev time compared to a full blown character. We either get the clones or we get nothing. Sorry you don't like it, but many of us do like it.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
That meme can honestly burn.

I am sorry but Doctor Mario needs new taunts. His taunts are actually garbage and Mario's victory poses are better than Doctor Mario's victory poses as well. Doctor Mario is fun to play actually, but I hope Smash for Switch gives him a little more speed. In fact there are quite some fighters that still need buffs badly, like Jigglypuff and King Dedede.
He can't have speed. The point is for even the most casual players and newest players to be able to tell the speed difference. There are other clever ways to balance him (that I've already thought of, of course).

As for his taunts, what's better than him stepping on the ground, figuratively squashing a bug? Nothing. It's the perfect taunt. And that victory animation of him contemplating like a doctor. Perfect.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
lmao
Cut your bull****, people want to play as their favourite characters. Most people don't give a **** about competitive viability.

He can also look at the fact that every character has fans and he doesn't want to upset them. The truth is every character has a fan. Making a veteran a costume of someone else is a disservice to the character and their fans.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Lucina is still just a worse Marth. You feel like you’re handicapping yourself the moment you pick her.
Worse how? Competitively she's better than Marth in most aspects. But I won't elaborate because it's supposed to be a secret.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
What Doc needs is more beef.
Make him heavier to compensate for his slower speed, that right there will do wonders to begin with.
Let him take more hits, and let rage help him with his reduced combo potential.

Or, give him more combo potential, but in a way that compensates his slower + powerful attributes.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

Uniqueness is subjective. Your definition of uniqueness varies from mine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

lmao
Cut your bull****, people want to play as their favourite characters. Most people don't give a **** about competitive viability.
You said it better than I did. I fully agree with you.
He can't have speed. The point is for even the most casual players and newest players to be able to tell the speed difference. There are other clever ways to balance him (that I've already thought of, of course).

As for his taunts, what's better than him stepping on the ground, figuratively squashing a bug? Nothing. It's the perfect taunt. And that victory animation of him contemplating like a doctor. Perfect.
I know he can not have speed but just a little more? Doctor Mario does have a solid back air, but he needs more speed so he can be a little more playable. He can still be slow.

What Doc needs is more beef.
Make him heavier to compensate for his slower speed, that right there will do wonders to begin with.
Let him take more hits, and let rage help him with his reduced combo potential.

Or, give him more combo potential, but in a way that compensates his slower + powerful attributes.
The thing is, Doctor Mario is only Mario wearing a suit, so his weight is fine. Doctor Mario does need more raw power though.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace

Usage rates? where? how do you know about this? i'm curious to know which DLC flopped the most.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What if the new Super Smash Bros, game had 100 characters? I recently made a fantasy one. But, here's a more objective one.

Super Mario
  • Mario
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Captain Toad
  • Luigi*
  • Daisy*
  • Dry Bowser*
  • Rosalina & Luma*
  • Geno*
  • Paper Mario*
Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong*
  • Pauline*
The Legend of Zelda
  • Link
  • Zelda
  • Ganondorf
  • Sheik*
  • Skull Kid*
  • Toon Link*
  • Toon Zelda*
  • Tetra*
Metroid
  • Samus Aran
  • Zero Suit Samus*
Yoshi
  • Yoshi
Wario
  • Wario
  • Waluigi*
Kirby
  • Kirby
  • King Dedede
  • Meta Knight
Star Fox
  • Fox McCloud
  • Andross
  • Falco Lombardi*
  • Wolf O'Donnell*
Pokemon
  • Pikachu
  • Charizard
  • Greninja
  • Decidueye
  • Lucario*
  • Jigglypuff*
  • Gengar*
  • Mewtwo*
Kid Icarus
  • Pit
  • Palutena
Fire Emblem
  • Marth
  • Ike
  • Robin
  • Corrin*
  • Alm & Celica*
  • Lyndis*
  • Roy*
Mother/EarthBound
  • Ness
  • Lucas*
F-Zero
  • Captain Falcon
  • Samurai Goroh*
Pikmin
  • Olimar
  • Alph*
Animal Crossing
  • Villager
  • Isabelle
Punch-Out!!
  • Little Mac
Wii Fit
  • Wii Fit Trainer
Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Shulk*
Pilotwings
  • Pilots
Dillon's Rolling Western
  • Dillon
Splatoon
  • Inkling
Arms
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl*
Golden Sun
  • Isaac*
The Legendary Starfy
  • Starfy*
Chibi-Robo!
  • Chibi-Robo*
Big Brain Academy
  • Dr. Lobe*
Rhythm Heaven
  • Rhythm Troupe*
Retro
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Duck Hunt
  • ExciteBiker
  • Ice Climbers
  • Takamaru*
  • Donbe & Akari*
  • Ayumi Tachibana*
  • Lip*
  • Mr. Game & Watch*
  • R.O.B.*
Third Party
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Mega Man
  • Pac-Man
  • Bomberman
  • Simon Belmont
  • Snake
  • Ryu
  • Cloud Strife
  • Lara Croft
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Amaterasu
  • Bayonetta
  • Terra Branford*
  • Shadow The Hedgehog*
  • Zero*
Super Smash Brothers
  • Mii Brawler
  • Mii Swordfighter
  • Mii Gunner
The Extras
  • Dr. Mario*
  • Donkey Kong Jr.*
  • Pichu*
  • Dark Pit*
  • Lucina*
Alternate Costume Characters
  • Bowser Jr. (The Koopalings)
  • Captain Toad (Toadette)
  • Sheik (Impa)
  • Marth (Leif)
  • Ness (Ninten)
  • Little Mac (Wirefame Mac)
  • Isaac (Matthew)
  • Starfy (Starly)
  • Spring Man (Spring Tron)
  • Bomberman (The Bomberman Bros.)
  • Pac-Man (Ms. Pac-Man)
  • Lara Croft (32-Bit Lara)
Character Concepts:
Dixie Kong appears as a semi-clone of Diddy Kong. But, she has many unique abilities. Most of her non-special attacks are completely different. Mostly using her hair, whereas Diddy would use his tail.

Unique Abilities: Gumball Gun, Hair Twirl.
Final Smash: Guitar

Pauline's design is inspired by Donkey Kong on Gameboy and her dress is torn like in her arcade artwork and one of her straps is hanging off.

Potential abilities: Super Hammer, Mini-Pauline Toys, Oil Drum, Spring, Parasol, Key, Trash Can, Ladder (DKGB).
Final Smash: New Donk City Festival

Andross appears in his "humanoid" form from Star Fox 2 & Star Fox Zero. He doesn't have any arms so he still functions with his proper abilities. One of his abilities (and his stage entrance) is the inter dimensional cube from Star Fox and Star Fox 2.

Potential Abilities: Telekinesis, Metal Panels (can build anything), Scepter, Black Holes, Magnetic Laser (used for pulling opponents toward him), Become Metallic, Ghostly Aurora, Plasma Rings, Light-Speed Warp, Inter dimensional Cube, Darkness, Cosmic Powers.
Final Smash: Summons black hole, pulls in opponents to another dimension, becomes Giant Head Andross, sucks up opponents, chews them, spits them back out.

Samurai Goroh is very slightly a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. Even less so than Luigi. Though he shares the same special abilties and Final Smash. Most all of his non special abilities are a unique mixture of brute strength and his stingray katana.

Final Smash: Fire Stingray

Differences from Princess Peach
  • Faster, more agile and energetic
  • Side tilt
  • Some attacks cause flower head effect
  • Unable to float
  • Unique Neutral & Down Special
Final Smash: Flower Blossom

Differences from Bowser
  • Faster and lighter
  • Running animation from Melee
  • Side Smash from Melee
  • Some body parts fall off after excessive damage, becomes faster and lighter
  • Ability to use head as an item (and as tilt attacks)
  • Side special replaced with Bone Boomerang

While Wario appears in his biker outfit, Waluigi appears in his tennis outfit

He can obviously be changed to his overalls.

Waluigi's move set is ENTIRELY original. Though he uses his Tennis racket in his smash attacks, all of his special moves are original to Super Smash Bros, inspired by his wacky and devious personality, just as Wario's were.

Final Smash: Negative Zone

Potential Abilities: Jetpack, Handglider, Birdman.
Final Smash: Gyrocopter

Balloon Fighter is kind of like a reverse Little Mac. He is a supreme aerial fighter who is mostly helpless on the ground. His balloons make recovery (especially after being launched) much easier.

Balloon Fighter can have three balloons. After taking significant damage, a balloon will pop. With his Nuetral B Special, Balloon Fighter can use his balloon pump to make more balloons. If he already has three, the next balloon he pumps will pop, making it an attack.

If Balloon Fighter's arms get tired from flapping, he can sacrifice his balloons by over inflating them until they pop as a final recovery. He will then descend by parachute.

Potential Abilities: Balloon Pump, Flippers, Sparks and Static, Air Pump (like Stanley). His swimming animation is him trying to avoid the fish. Instead of drowning, the fish will eat him and take him to the bottom of the ocean.

Final Smash: Bonus Stage (Balloons can Star KO)

Donkey Kong Jr. is a clone of Donkey Kong. He's not as big as DK, but he's bigger than Diddy. He uses his fists a lot more than DK rather than his palms, like in his Spinning Kong move and Hand Slap move.

He also uses a key as his down aerial and can release clap traps as his down tilt.
View attachment 137864 ]
Alternate Design:
View attachment 137863

Final Smash: Donkey Kong Jr. uses a key to break 8-Bit DK out of prison, allowing him to wreak havoc.

Shadow is a Luigi-esque clone of Sonic. He retains his homing attack and spin dash as well as Super Shadow. But, he can teleport with Chaos Control and use Chaos Spear.

Abilities: Chaos Control, Chaos Spear, Chaos Blast.
Final Smash: Super Shadow

Semi-Clones
  • Luigi
  • Daisy
  • Dry Bowser
  • Dixie Kong
  • Toon Link
  • Toon Zelda
  • Falco Lombardi
  • Wolf O'Donnell
  • Roy
  • Lucas
  • Samurai Goroh
  • Alph
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Shadow The Hedgehog
Full Clones
  • Dr. Mario
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Pichu
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina

Mario (Debut: 1981)
  • Donkey Kong Classics (NES)
  • Super Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Super Mario 64 (N64)
Luigi (Debut: 1983)
  • Mario Bros. (NES)
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Japan Only)
  • Luigi's Mansion (3DS)
Princess Peach (Debut: 1985)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
  • Super Princess Peach (DS)
Bowser (Debut: 1985)
  • Mario Party 2 (N64)
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS)
Bowser Jr. (Debut: 2002)
  • Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
  • Mario Power Tennis (GCN)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
The Koopalings (Debut: 1988)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Rosalina & Luma (Debut: 2007)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  • Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
  • Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Captain Toad (Debut: 2007)
  • Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NS)
Toadette (Debut: 2003)
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN)
  • Mario Party 6 (GCN)
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (NS)
Princess Daisy (Debut: 1989)
  • Super Mario Land (GB)
  • Mario Tennis (N64)
  • Super Mario Run
Dry Bowser (Debut: 2006)
  • New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
  • Mario Kart Wii (DS)
  • Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
Dr. Mario (Debut: 1990)
  • Dr. Mario (NES)
  • Dr. Mario 64 (North America Only)
  • Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure (3DS)
Geno (Debut: 1996)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars (SNES)
  • ---
  • ---
Paper Mario (Debut: 2000)
  • Paper Mario (N64)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)
  • Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
Donkey Kong (Debut: 1981)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Diddy Kong (Debut: 1994)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
  • Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Dixie Kong (Debut: 1995)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (NS)
King K. Rool (Debut: 1994)
  • Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
  • DK: King of Swing (GBA)
Pauline (Debut: 1981)
  • Mario VS Donkey Kong 2: March of The Minis (DS)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
Donkey Kong Jr. (Debut: 1982)
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (NES)
  • Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES)
  • Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Yoshi (Debut: 1990)
  • Super Mario World (SNES)
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
  • Yoshi's Story (N64)
Wario (Debut: 1992)
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
  • Wario Land 3 (GBC)
  • WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Waluigi (Debut: 2000)
  • Mario Tennis (N64)
  • Mario Party 3 (N64)
  • Mario Tennis Aces (NS)
Link (Debut: 1986)
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (NS)
Princess Zelda (Debut: 1986)
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild (NS)
Sheik (Debut: 1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (NS)
Ganondorf (Debut: 1998)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Skull Kid (Debut: 2000)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Toon Link (Debut: 2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
Toon Zelda (Debut: 2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (GBA)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
Tetra (Debut: 2002)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GCN)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
Impa (Debut: 1986)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/ The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
Samus Aran (Debut: 1986)
  • Metroid (NES)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (NS)
Zero Suit Samus (Debut: 2004)
  • Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
  • Metroid: Other M (Wii)
  • Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Captain Falcon (Debut: 1990)
  • F-Zero (SNES)
  • F-Zero X (N64)
  • F-Zero GX (GCN)
Samurai Goroh (Debut: 1990)
  • F-Zero (SNES)
  • F-Zero X (N64)
  • F-Zero GX (GCN)
Ness (Debut: 1994)
  • EarthBound (SNES)
  • Super Smash Bros. (N64)
  • ---
Lucas (Debut: 2006)
  • Mother 3 (Japan Only)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
  • ---
Kirby (Debut: 1992)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
  • Kirby's Adventure (NES)
  • Kirby Star Allies (NS)
King Dedede (Debut 1992)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64)
  • Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)
Meta Knight (Debut: 1993)
  • Kirby's Adventure (NES)
  • Kirby Superstar (SNES)
  • Kirby Superstar Ultra (DS)
Fox McCloud (Debut: 1993)
  • Star Fox (SNES)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Falco Lombardi (Debut: 1993)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Command (DS)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Wolf O'Donnell (Debut: 1997)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Assault (GCN)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Andross (Debut: 1993)
  • Star Fox (SNES)
  • Star Fox 64 (N64)
  • Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
Pikachu (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (GB)
  • Hey You, Pikachu! (N64)
  • Pokemon Sun/Pokemon Moon (3DS)
Jigglypuff (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Red/Pokemon Blue (GB)
  • Pokemon X/Pokemon Y (3DS)
Charizard (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemeon Fire Red/Pokemon Leaf Green (GBA)
Gengar (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokken Tournament DX (NS)
Lucario (Debut: 2006)
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pokemon Pearl (DS)
Greninja (Debut: 2013)
  • Pokemon Battle Trozei (3DS)
Decidueye (Debut: 2016)
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun/Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS)
Mewtwo (Debut: 1996)
  • Pokemon Stadium (N64)
Pichu (Debut: 1999)
  • Pokemon Gold/Pokemon Silver (GBC)
  • Pokemon Channel (GCN)
  • Pokemon Heart Gold/Pokemon Soul Silver (DS)
Pit (Debut: 1986)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Palutena (Debut: 1986)
  • Kid Icarus (NES)
  • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
Dark Pit (Debut: 2012)
  • ---
  • ---
Marth (Debut: 1990)
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of The Emblem (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS)
Leif (Debut: 1996)
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of The Holy War (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Japan Only)
  • ---
Roy (Debut: 2001)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
  • Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (Japan Only)
  • ---
Lyn (Debut: 2003)
  • Fire Emblem (GBA)
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (NS)
  • ---
Ike (Debut: 2005)
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
  • ---
Robin (Debut: 2012)
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
  • ---
Corrin (Debut: 2015)
  • Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)
  • ---
Alm & Celica (Debut: 1992)
  • Fire Emblem Gaiden (Japan Only)
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
  • ---
Lucina (Debut: 2012)
  • Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
  • ---
Olimar (Debut: 2001)
  • Pikmin (GCN)
  • Pikmin 2 (GCN)
  • Hey! Pikmin (3DS)
Alph (Debut: 2013)
  • Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
  • ---
  • ---
Villager (Debut: 2001)
  • Animal Forest (Japan Only)
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
Isabelle (Debut: 2012)
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
  • Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
Little Mac (Debut: 1984)
  • Punch-Out!! (NES)
  • Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
  • Punch-Out!! (Wii)
Wii Fit Trainer (Debut: 2007)
  • Wii Fit (Wii)
  • Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
  • Wii Fit U (Wii U)
Shulk (Debut: 2010)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS)
  • ---
Rex & Pyra (Debut: 2017)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
  • ---
  • ---
Pilots (Debut: 1996)
  • Pilotwings (SNES)
  • Pilotwings 64 (N64)
  • Pilotwings Resort (3DS)
Dillon (Debut: 2012)
  • Dillon's Rolling Western (3DS)
  • Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger (3DS)
  • Dillon's Dead Hat Breakers (3DS)
Inkling (Debut: 2015)
  • Splatoon (Wii U)
  • Splatoon 2 (NS)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
Spring Man (Debut: 2017)
  • Arms (NS)
  • ---
  • ---
Ribbon Girl (Debut: 2017)
  • Arms (NS)
  • ---
  • ---
Isaac (Debut: 2001)
  • Golden Sun (GBA)
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)
  • Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)
Matthew (Debut: 2010)
  • Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
  • ---
  • ---
Starfy (Debut: 2002)
  • Densetsu no Stafy (Japan Only)
  • Densetsu no Stafy 2 (Japan Only)
  • The Legendary Starfy (DS)
Starly (Debut: 2004)
  • Densetsu no Stafy 3 (Japan Only)
  • Densetsu no Stafy 4 (Japan Only)
  • The Legendary Starfy (DS)
Chibi-Robo (Debut: 2005)
  • Chibi-Robo! Plug into Adventure (GCN)
  • Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol (DS)
  • Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash (3DS)
Dr. Lobe (Debut: 2005)
  • Big Brain Academy (DS)
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
  • ---
Rhythm Troupe (Debut: 2006)
  • Rhythm Tengoku (Japan Only)
  • Rhythm Heaven (DS)
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS)
Balloon Fighter (Debut: 1984)
  • VS Balloon Fight
  • Balloon Fight (NES)
  • ---
ExciteBiker (Debut:1984)
  • ExciteBike (NES)
  • ExciteBike 64 (N64)
  • ExciteBike: World Rally (Wii)
Ice Climbers (Debut: 1985)
  • Ice Climber (NES)
  • ---
  • ---
Duck Hunt (Debut: 1984)
  • Duck Hunt (NES)
  • ---
  • ---
Takamaru (Debut: 1986)
  • The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Japan Only)
  • ---
  • ---
Donbe & Hikari (Debut: 1987)
  • Shin Onigashima (Japan Only)
  • Heisei Shin Onigashima (Japan Only)
  • Kirby's Dreamland 3 (SNES)
Ayumi Tachibana (Debut: 1988)
  • Famicom Detective Club Part II: The Girl in The Back (Japan Only)
  • Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir (Japan Only)
  • BS: Detective Club: Lost Memories in The Snow (Japan Only)
Lip (Debut: 1995)
  • Panel De Pon (Japan Only)
  • Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Japan Only)
  • ---
R.O.B. (Debut: 1985)
  • Gyromite (NES)
  • Stack-Up (NES)
  • Mario Kart DS (DS)
Mr. Game & Watch (Debut: 1980)
  • Ball (G&W)
  • Game & Watch Gallery (GB)
  • Game & Watch Gallery 4 (GBA)
Sonic The Hedgehog (Debut: 1991)
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (GCN)
  • Sonic Mania (NS)
Shadow The Hedgehog (Debut: 2001)
  • Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (GCN)
  • Shadow The Hedgehog (GCN)
  • Sonic Forces (NS)
Mega Man (Debut: 1987)
  • Mega Man (NES)
  • Mega Man 2 (SNES)
  • Mega Man 11 (NS)
Zero (Debut: 1993)
  • Mega Man X (SNES)
  • Mega Man Zero (GBA)
  • Project X Zone (3DS)
Bomberman (Debut: 1983)
  • Bomberman (NES)
  • Bomberman Hero (N64)
  • Super Bomberman R (NS)
Pac-Man (Debut: 1980)
  • Pac-Man
  • Pac-Man World (GBA)
  • Pac-Man Champion Edition 2 (NS)
Ms. Pac-Man (Debut: 1981)
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Pac-Land (NES)
  • Pac-Man World Rally (GCN)
Simon Belmont (Debut: 1986)
  • Castlevania (NES)
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
  • Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Snake (Debut: 1987)
  • Metal Gear (NES)
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN)
Ryu (Debut: 1987)
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (3DS)
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (NS)
Terra Branford (Debut: 1994)
  • Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
  • ---
  • ---
Cloud Strife (Debut: 1997)
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • ---
  • ---
Lara Croft: (Debut: 1996)
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tomb Raider: Legend (DS)
  • Rise of The Tomb Raider
Lloyd Irving (Debut: 2003)
  • Tales of Symphonia (GCN)
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of The New World (Wii)
  • ---
Amaterasu (Debut: 2006)
  • Okami
  • Okamiden (DS)
  • Okami HD (NS)
Bayonetta (Debut: 2009)
  • Bayonetta (NS)
  • Bayonetta 2 (NS)
  • Bayonetta 3 (NS)

• Mr. Game & Watch
  • Pac-Man
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Pauline
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Luigi
  • Bomberman
  • Little Mac
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Duck Hunt
  • ExciteBiker
  • Ice Climbers
  • R.O.B.
  • Princess Peach
  • Bowser
  • Link
  • Princess Zelda
  • Impa
  • Takamaru
  • Samus Aran
  • Simon Belmont
  • Pit
  • Palutena
  • Snake
  • Ryu
  • Donbe & Hikari
  • Mega Man
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Larry Koopa
  • Morton Koopa Jr.
  • Wendy O. Koop
  • Iggy Koopa
  • Roy Koopa
  • Lemmy Koopa
  • Ludwig Von Koopa
  • Princess Daisy
  • Ninten
  • Marth
  • Dr. Mario
  • Yoshi
  • Captain Falcon
  • Samurai Goroh
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Kirby
  • King Dedede
  • Alm & Celica
  • Wario
  • Fox McCloud
  • Falco Lombardi
  • Andross
  • Meta Knight
  • Zero
  • Terra Branford
  • Ness
  • Diddy Kong
  • King K. Rool
  • Dixie Kong
  • Lip
  • Pikachu
  • Jigglypuff
  • Charizard
  • Gengar
  • Mewtwo
  • Leif
  • Geno
  • Pilots
  • Lara Croft
  • Cloud Strife
  • Wolf O'Donnell
  • Sheik
  • Ganondorf
  • Skull Kid
  • Pichu
  • Paper Mario
  • Waluigi
  • Villager
  • Shadow The Hedgehog
  • Isaac
  • Olimar
  • Roy
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Starfy
  • Toon Link
  • Toon Zelda
  • Tetra
  • Lyndis
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Toadette
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Starly
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Dr. Lobe
  • Ike
  • Amaterasu
  • Lucas
  • Dry Bowser
  • Rhythm Troupe
  • Lucario
  • Rosalina & Luma
  • Captain Toad
  • Bayonetta
  • Shulk
  • Matthew
  • Dillon
  • Dark Pit
  • Robin
  • Lucina
  • Isabelle
  • Alph
  • Greninja
  • Inkling
  • Corrin
  • Decidueye
  • Spring Man
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Rex & Pyra

100 characters probably wouldn't be ideal because you want to leave characters for the next game, but a man can dream.

Check out the history behind these characters and the order in which they all debuted.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
People are talking of cutting clones and here I am hoping they bring back ALL characters.
:squirtle::ivysaur::popo::wolf::snake:
Even those left behind.

(Yes you too... lest I appear hypocritical :pichumelee::younglinkmelee:)

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would LOVE to see Donkey Kong Jr get added to the roster of clones. He's long past earned a spot as a Nintendo All-Star.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
What if (and this is a BIG if), since this game will be launching near Smash's 20th anniversary (within a few months, at least), Sakurai and co. try to get EVERY veteran back in to celebrate?

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
My earlier analysis (not really an analysis, more like just how I saw the characters in the shadow image) went a bit overlooked on multiple sites (and by those who commented shortly after me), so I just decided to put out my full analysis on Twitter for anyone who would like to take a look through. Kind of just did it to put my speculation on the image to rest until we get more information, so pretty much for my own sanity. LOL

You can find the whole thread here:

Enjoying all of your comments here, by the way. Keep it up. :)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
No. It's not about the Nintendo characters we love here on Smashboards. It's about the stupid technical bull ****.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Lessee... Young Link, Young Link, and Young Link. If those characters return, I will be happy because I prefer that version of kid Link over Toon Link.
What if (and this is a BIG if), since this game will be launching near Smash's 20th anniversary (within a few months, at least), Sakurai and co. try to get EVERY veteran back in to celebrate?
Ooo, that's an interesting idea. It would make up one giant roster, though. Could they have done all of that within 3-4 years time?

-

HAL isn't confirmed YET, but other than that, I agree with the rest of this tweet.

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Even though I was not a snake Main in project m or brawl, I would love to see him back in the smash for switch. Preferably in his phantom pain skin and outfit, with a different set of moves.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
My problem with clones nabbing a guaranteed return is Clone Bloat.

Clones take less time to make than new characters.
However, if all clones have to return in each sequel that means less time for new characters in that game.
Prevent clone bloat.

Ironically, I prefer playing as every clone over their original except for Toon Link.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm just wandering why HAL is noted but not Game Freak, Pikachu is almost definitely in the shadow. Is HAL just an automatic mention because of the first t we o games being made by them?

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Despite him being in a completely different build and not really completed, Knuckles was hella fun to play in Project M. Would definitely like to see him in the new Smash.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guys, please remember to use [spoilers] (or you can use the thumbnail option if it is an image upload) for large images. People using mobile devices experience lag when loading large images like that. Thanks.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I can only hope that there won't be a wave people this time thinking Sma5h will be like Melee.
Crazy idea, but what if... they put... a port of melee... in this new smash...
It's like an option to play melee mode with the melee roster and mechanics... etc..
Won't happen... but my god... if it did.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
My most wanted characters for this game would be Mipha and Lyn. I'm a big fan of the Zelda franchise and Zoras are my favorite race. Mipha clearly has some kind of combat prowess as she's one of the princess's appointed guardians. Would love to see her in action in smash.
I know many people here aren't too keen on the idea of another Fire Emblem character, but with the popularity of Fire Emblem Heroes, I feel that a new character being brought in isn't far our of the realm of possibility. Lyn was the most popular character according to the fan vote they had and I think it would be a great bit of fanservice for us Fire Emblem fans. Sorry to people who don't want another sword lord, but Lyn would be a logical inclusion unless they decide to go the advertisement route (which, unfortunately, is more likely)

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Responding to the poll question, I answered "about 50/50."

But I don't think it will be a straight port if that's the route it's going. I think it will be like Splatoon 2. Same general gameplay, but with a lot of additions and tweaks that make it worth calling it a new game.

Really, though, I just don't want anyone to get cut, and I want non-returnees to come back. If it's a ground-up brand-new game, I can't imagine everyone making it back and getting a large enough chunk of newcomers.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If its a popular video game character (or even anime character) there's a demand for said character in smash. While most joke, I've actually known someone who really wants someone like Master Chief fighting Mario.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If its a popular video game character (or even anime character) there's a demand for said character in smash. While most joke, I've actually known someone who really wants someone like Master Chief fighting Mario.
This fact never goes over well, because it sounds like i'm suggesting anime characters are possible (which is a very unpopular opnion). However I'm also of the opinion they're not possible.

With that being said... Lucario first appeared in the anime well before a video game.

There's also examples like ROB (although not an anime character) was a real life device or toy and never actually appeared in the games he was a device for.

There are some loose examples of non-video game characters in smash.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This fact never goes over well, because it sounds like i'm suggesting anime characters are possible (which is a very unpopular opnion). However I'm also of the opinion they're not possible.

With that being said... Lucario first appeared in the anime well before a video game.

There's also examples like ROB (although not an anime character) was a real life device or toy and never actually appeared in the games he was a device for.

There are some loose examples of non-video game characters in smash.
You know, I think I saw a few Smash Bros movesets for a Hanafuda card-themed character, which I might not be against believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom