• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I am going to say it, but Bower, Donkey Kong and DK need their game voices instead of the realistic animal voices. The realistic animal voices honestly does not suit them at all, considering that Smash 4 got less realistic.
I don't know if this is off topic or not, but I am so happy the Smash hype train is back in business. I am so ready for the oodles of speculation and leaks. God, it's good to be back.
I agree with this 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Next newcomer confirmed?
Please don’t f-word with my emotions again.

I want to believe. I was so desperate for Toad to be in SSB4. The stars were aligned for Toad. He had playable roles in recent and upcoming Wii U games. I was disillusioned when he was ultimately deconfirmed on November 21, 2013. Turns out the stars were aligned for Rosalina (thanks to her gravitational pull). At least my dog consoled me. :4duckhunt:

But now... it looks like the stars are aligning for Toad again. I don’t think I can ride this roller coaster again. :crazy:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Please don’t f-word with my emotions again.

I want to believe. I was so desperate for Toad to be in SSB4. The stars were aligned for Toad. He had playable roles in recent and upcoming Wii U games. I was disillusioned when he was ultimately deconfirmed on November 21, 2013. Turns out the stars were aligned for Rosalina (thanks to her gravitational pull). At least my dog consoled me. :4duckhunt:

But now... it looks like the stars are aligning for Toad again. I don’t think I can ride this roller coaster again. :crazy:
I want Captain Toad than generic Toad.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I think it's funny how the Smash Community practically named them Inklings. And I love it how Nintendo addapted it. Much better than Squid Kids, am I right?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Clones I'd accept, but, would also love to see them with their own moves too if anything are;

Black Shadow = Just to get another F-Zero character, but he is too good for being a clone, he got dark magic and ****, but we see how Ganondorf with similar traits went... I'd even take Blood Falcon, I'm desperate lol.

And there stops my list of clones.
How about Captain Rainbow as clone of Captain Falcon?
"RAINBOW... PUNCH!!"
Sounds good.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Keep Wizard's Foot too. We need our Not!Dr Doom.

Dr. Doom: "Fu-fu-fu-fu-FOOT DIVE! fu-FOOT-FOOT DIVE! PLASMA BEAM! YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE!!!! VERGIL!!"

Vergil: "VANISH! I'M MOTIVATED! YOU'RE MINE!!!! THERE! Don't get so cocky."

Announcer: "HYPER COMBO KO!! ... PERFECT!!!!!

Vergil: "Might. Controls. Everything."

GameQ

Smash Cadet
After the recent announcement, my initial feeling is that we are getting Super Smash Brothers "Deluxe", aka not an entirely new game.
Clue 1: The flaming Smash Logo was also used in Smash Wii U intro.
Clue 2: The type face for the title is exactly the same as the one for Wii U / 3DS
Clue 3: The title didn't have any sub title (Like "Brawl") to differentiate it from it's predecessor.
Clue 4: It comes out this year, which seems really quick for a new game.

I'm perfectly happy with a port of Wii U with new characters, stages, single player content, ect. The Wii U version has already proven that adding new fighters to the base game is possible, so why not just use it as the base, no need to re-invent the wheel every time. The Wii U / 3DS version was designed for both console and portable play, so it's already perfectly suited for the Switch.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
How about Captain Rainbow as clone of Captain Falcon?
"RAINBOW... PUNCH!!"
Sounds good.
No.

That would honestly be the worst case scenario.
Or, near worst case scenario. Ganondorf was the worst.

Captain Rainbow is a character quite capeable of having a great moveset which is different from Falcon. They might look the same in shape, but that does not mean they should share moves. That would be lazy and wasted potential. Still a Rainbow Punch does sound hillarious.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gosh I remember that but I'm not entirely sure why it started to become a thing. :laugh: Probably all from John's head and whatever's in it, no doubt. Maybe me as well because I was kinda weird too back then. And definitely not now.
I think... we were all put into pairs for some reason... and we were Neon Heels... and then John (who was with Moon) took it upon himself to be John... and henceforth the rivalry was born lol. Something like that.

I can't believe that was already like five years ago, wow. Embarrass

Wish I could go back and read some of that old insanity. Or maybe I'd regret it lol....
I've no doubt within minutes seconds my face would contort into cringe, back then I was too proud of being a *****. xD
And definitely not now.

The best moment will forever be the infamous "she is so moe" day though hahahaha!
Oh god I think I remember that one, was that the day I posted my pic? :laugh:

I may have had to search what that meant; I wasn't as fluent in internet back then haha.

Also hey Holder, aren't you just so super excited for Smash Bros? I wonder what will happen! (dw now our posting is topical)

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
After the recent announcement, my initial feeling is that we are getting Super Smash Brothers "Deluxe", aka not an entirely new game.
Clue 2: The type face for the title is exactly the same as the one for Wii U / 3DS
Clue 3: The title didn't have any sub title (Like "Brawl") to differentiate it from it's predecessor.

I'm perfectly happy with a port of Wii U with new characters, stages, single player content, ect. The Wii U version has already proven that adding new fighters to the base game is possible, so why not just use it as the base, no need to re-invent the wheel every time. The Wii U / 3DS version was designed for both console and portable play, so it's already perfectly suited for the Switch.
This game has been secretly in development for around 3 years, maybe.

D

Deleted member

The game will probably drop either alongside the online service in September or around that mid-late November hotspot Nintendo loves so much (November 18th-23rd). I'm personally leaning towards a November release.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Just looking at the viewer count of this thread makes me happy. All the times I'd come back to snoop around this place and never saw these numbers.

...Too bad I can't seem to find my old Ganondorf avatar. More importantly, I'm just reeeeeally hoping he doesn't suck this time around. Is that asking for too much?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know Cloud had demand, but as I said, it was from a small minority of fans. How many Smash fans in turn are also Final Fantasy fans? It’s probably not that significant a number.
And of course if Final Fantasy had ever been a possibility before Cloud’s inclusion (which almost no one thought it was.) Of course it would be Cloud who is chosen. He is Mr. JRPG. Mr. Final Fantasy.
You kinda answered your question. Everyone knows Cloud. And those 'small minority' mattered enough as Sakurai himself said that Cloud's votes were what got him in Smash in the DLC direct

It suddenly occurred to me that tehre aren't any leaks running around.

ResetERA admins were being as blatant as possible in hinting with Smash being at the direct, but we don't have anything else like a Gematsu leak yet. I wonder if we're going to have another big leak anytime soon, er at all during speculation.
:061:

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
It warms my heart to see so many familiar users still on here! I have no idea how many of you would even recognize me hahaha I didn’t post a whole lot lol

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I'm keeping hopes/expectations low. After my main was cut 2 games in a row I tend to care much more for veteran confirmations than newcomer announcements. I'd really only care to see a select few newcomers, anyway. Remaining cautiously optimistic, though I'm a bit nervous for a couple of my mains. Time will tell.
But, that's not to say that I'm not hyped. Glad to see the Inklings get in, never played Splatoon, but it's always nice to see a new IP get invited to the Fight Club.

Now, to start setting cash aside for a Switch...

D

Deleted member

Just looking at the viewer count of this thread makes me happy. All the times I'd come back to snoop around this place and never saw these numbers.

...Too bad I can't seem to find my old Ganondorf avatar. More importantly, I'm just reeeeeally hoping he doesn't suck this time around. Is that asking for too much?
I am hoping Ganondorf will not be trash either.
The thing is, I feel Ganon will always be a low tier to be honest. Since Ganon is heavy and really powerful, more speed would seem just too much to be honest. I am hoping they find a way to make Ganondorf better as well.

ResetERA admins were being as blatant as possible in hinting with Smash being at the direct, but we don't have anything else like a Gematsu leak yet. I wonder if we're going to have another big leak anytime soon, er at all during speculation.
Leaks are going to be coming soon, trust me. There are always hidden people who have some secret Nintendo worker buddies. I mean once when the game gets a demo, data miners are going to be digging as fast as they can.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want Captain Toad than generic Toad.

They could go the Little Mac/Bowser Jr. route with Toad/Captain Toad. 16 alts.
  1. Toad
  2. Red Toad (Mushroom Retainer)
  3. Blue Toad
  4. Yellow Toad
  5. Green Toad
  6. Purple Toad
  7. Captain Toad
  8. Hint Toad
  9. Yellow Toad (Toad Brigade)
  10. Bank Toad
  11. Mail Toad
  12. Toadette
  13. Toadette (Mario Kart Double Dash)
  14. Archivist Toadette
  15. Toadsworth
  16. Toadsworth the Younger
Toads for Smash! :awesome:

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team

I feel bad for that ESRB guy. He wasted his one opportunity to leak and he didn't leak the newest Smash one. smh

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Weren't they called Inklings from day one? Even the amiibo are listed like that.
When they first were revealed they did not have any names at all.
They were known as Squid Kids shooting Ink, without any official name. People adapted it an Inkling around the art communities, and around here. Or basically "Splatoon girl or boy", did not really have anything solid.

I might be wrong, but I feel pretty sure about it.
Inklings were indeed adapted again later by Nintendo, before the Amiibo.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I am hoping Ganondorf will not be trash either.
The thing is, I feel Ganon will always be a low tier to be honest. Since Ganon is heavy and really powerful, more speed would seem just too much to be honest. I am hoping they find a way to make Ganondorf better as well.
That's the feeling I have as well. He was at his best in Melee...where wavedashing and L-Canceling just so happened to be a thing to help him out...

*shrugs*

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When they first were revealed they did not have any names at all.
They were known as Squid Kids shooting Ink, without any official name. People adapted it an Inkling around the art communities, and around here. Or basically "Splatoon girl or boy", did not really have anything solid.

I might be wrong, but I feel pretty sure about it.
Inklings were indeed adapted again later by Nintendo, before the Amiibo.
They've officially been referred to as Inklings since the game's reveal. Check articles covering the game at E3 2014.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I think... we were all put into pairs for some reason... and we were Neon Heels... and then John (who was with Moon) took it upon himself to be John... and henceforth the rivalry was born lol. Something like that.
Hmm, I think you are correct. Although, I'm not entirely sure of the context still. I can only hope we weren't the originators of "...So which user would you ship me with?" that was happening just the other day here. I know I was a total suck up to you which probably formed the basis of our team. But eh now you ain't a big deal. You make some decent posts I guess. :p

I can't believe that was already like five years ago, wow. Embarrass
Yeesh I don't want to think about that. Sadly my life has changed oh so little since then. 2018, this'll be the year I'm a responsible adult! :awesome:

I've no doubt within minutes seconds my face would contort into cringe, back then I was too proud of being a *****. xD
And definitely not now.
Yep I made the mistake of looking at my old accounts post history... good god I hope early Holder of the Heel wasn't anything close to that edgy and abbreviated mess. Back then I didn't know what the enter key was either apparently.

And eh, you joke but for what it's worth I don't remember you being ******. Although maybe I'd have made more of a note of that if I wasn't the biggest push-over ha.

Oh god I think I remember that one, was that the day I posted my pic? :laugh:
Yep! Probably the best worst decision you made. People were making cosplay requests... gosh we were so lame. I played it cool though because that's just who I am. :shades:

Actually, I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. Oh, here it is!

:troll:

Also hey Holder, aren't you just so super excited for Smash Bros? I wonder what will happen! (dw now our posting is topical)
Yea totally! Can't wait for Geno to be revealed!
...Fair point though, I will stay on topic now that I've done some reminiscing. :psycho: Sorry powers that be!

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
You kinda answered your question. Everyone knows Cloud. And those 'small minority' mattered enough as Sakurai himself said that Cloud's votes were what got him in Smash in the DLC direct
Sakurai said nothing about “votes” for Cloud in the Direct. In his Famitsu article he said that he had wanted a Final Fantasy character in Smash, but didn’t know who to choose at first. He ultimately decided on Cloud. Not because of overwhelming fan demand, but just because Cloud was well known by the general gaming public. Onion Knight and another character whose name I can’t recall where also considered.

Again. I’m not arguing about Cloud. I’m arguing in favor of Corrin.

The spice that keeps Smash alive is variety and uniqueness in the diverse roster of characters. There so much “The franchise doesn’t have enough reps.” And “This franchise has too many reps.” Fire Emblem is a popular Nintendo IP. Of course it’s going to have more reps. It has more viable options to choose from.

I just don’t see Corrin going anywhere. I’ll just have to agree to disagree on her apparently.

mnky_c

Smash Rookie

You have a point, but since I'm an observer too ... I also noticed some clues that confirmed, imho, that it is for sure a brand new game.

• The way the letters of the Smash title appear is not the same as Sm4sh. It is actually the same as Melee and Brawl.
  • HAL Laboratory appears again as the main developer. It was not the case for Sm4sh, as it was Sora and HAL were "just" helping.
  • Last but not least obvious, the Link from breath of the wild...

Can't wait to know more of this. Sleeping is ruined for me tonight :facepalm:

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Niether do Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rob, Captian Falcon, etc. I'm not saying Captian Toad's a shoe in, but he has much bigger hurdles to jump (or find a way not to jump).

Mimikyu's the second most likely Gen 7 Pokémon, IMO.
Actually Captain Falcon does fight, in the anime.

He dies using an epic Falcon Punch for the first time on the bad guy. Then he gets a successor.

-

i'm curious who will do the honor's of the next Snake Codex/Palutena's Guidance? Hopefully we can get two versions of them for the whole cast. I hope that the Wolf taunt on the Lylat Cruise stage is not just a nod. IT would be cool if he did well on that promise.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Niether do Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rob, Captian Falcon, etc. I'm not saying Captian Toad's a shoe in, but he has much bigger hurdles to jump (or find a way not to jump).
Toad can always run under the hurdles. :troll:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Mimikyu's the second most likely Gen 7 Pokémon, IMO.
I've only been thinking of the starters but that would actually be amazing. With its popularity, the connection to Pikachu, and being Team Rocket's pokemon in the show, it'll definitely be a Pokeball 'mon at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom