• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I just don't see where this "Rayman and Rabbids are most likely" is coming from. I mean I know where it's coming from and why people are suggesting it. I just don't understand the logical A to B.

Rayman appeared as a trophy in Smash and Rabbids crossed over with Mario? I mean anything's possible if they're super requested like Bayonetta. But, I don't see it happening any other way. Not them. ESPECIALLY when third party newcomers aren't even a certainty.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Regarding who makes the next Smash game, I'd personally say Miyamoto would be the ideal director, with Bandai Namco returning for development.

Naturally, I would want to see Sakurai return as a consultant.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Regarding who makes the next Smash game, I'd personally say Miyamoto would be the ideal director, with Bandai Namco returning for development.

Naturally, I would want to see Sakurai return as a consultant.
I want Sakurai in charge of the roster at the very least.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I would personally argue that the most likely new third party would be Steve, honestly. One of the most iconic video game characters in the industry not in Smash, with games on the Wii U, 3DS, and Switch.

Bomberman and Rayman are noteworthy contenders, of course.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Bomberman is the most likely Third-Party not already in the game. Relationship with Nintendo, iconic and still successful.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't buy it, not when Rayman is more popular.

We've always gotten the most popular choice first
Among the Smash community? Maybe. But to the general public I'd argue the Rabbids are much more popular in spite of their vocal hate base. It's a game of numbers, really. Rabbids have far more exposure than Rayman himself does, so more people have an opinion on them. And really, if the majority disliked them, they wouldn't be as prevalent as they are.

I just don't see where this "Rayman and Rabbids are most likely" is coming from. I mean I know where it's coming from and why people are suggesting it. I just don't understand the logical A to B.

Rayman appeared as a trophy in Smash and Rabbids crossed over with Mario? I mean anything's possible if they're super requested like Bayonetta. But, I don't see it happening any other way. Not them. ESPECIALLY when third party newcomers aren't even a certainty.
Having a full blown crossover with Mario is a big deal considering how protective Nintendo is of their IP.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I want Sakurai in charge of the roster at the very least.
I would want him to give input, but not necessarily be the final say.

Theoretically, if Miyamoto were the director, he would have already had experience with the franchise and several of the franchises represented in the game. He would offer a unique perspective that I think would lend itself well to a creative director.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I would want him to give input, but not necessarily be the final say.

Theoretically, if Miyamoto were the director, he would have already had experience with the franchise and several of the franchises represented in the game. He would offer a unique perspective that I think would lend itself well to a creative director.
I disagree. I feel like Sakurai's strictness in the roster's exclusivity has been beneficial. Obviously he's been more open minded in recent years which led to great additions like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer and he can make just about anything work if he puts his mind to it.

But, I don't want the bar lowered to what most people wanna lower it too. Most people wanna put in whomever fills the role of fourth playable character in a co-op game (Toad, Waddle Dee, Cranky Kong), add characters for the sole purpose of inflating the reps of a series (Kamek, Sylux, Tom Nook) or worst of all, just start adding characters from whatever the newest game is (Champions of The Ballad, Magolor, Ghirahim, Isabelle).

And I'm sure I'm gonna get a lovely retort from a certain somebody I know who's gonna try to argue that Pokemon and Fire Emblem is the same thing as The Legend of Zelda.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I was talking about within their own company.

Maybe to the general public, Rabbids are more well known and maybe more liked by Kids (from my experience, adults hate them, at least their TV show anyway)

But within the gaming community, (not smash, gaming as a whole) Rayman is definitely more liked and known. Rabbids were originally introduced as a part of the Rayman franchise.

Also another thing, and perhaps most notable

Rabbids are generic. They're a species. There isn't a singular species.

Think with Final Fantasy

We didn't get chocobo
We didn't get moogle
We didn't get a black mage
We got the main character of the most popular entry

I think the most likely scenario is

Rayman playable
Rabbid assist trophy and Smash Run enemy if it returns

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Maybe to the general public, Rabbids are more well known and maybe more liked by Kids (from my experience, adults hate them, at least their TV show anyway)

But within the gaming community, (not smash, gaming as a whole) Rayman is definitely more liked and known. Rabbids were originally introduced as a part of the Rayman franchise.

Think with Final Fantasy

We didn't get chocobo
We didn't get moogle

Rayman playable
It irks me when people try to tell me Yoshi and Pikachu are a species character when they have singular roles and star in their own games.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
The most likely third party is obviously.. Bonk!

Nah, I’m kidding. But look at the avatar, I had to.

I think Bomberman is the most likely for a third party newcomer. They say Rayman is more likely because of Kingdom Bartle shows a Nintendo IP having a crossover with them.... but Bomberman already did that with Wario back in like the NES/Game Boy days.

He certainly fits.

Besides Rayman and Bomberman and the obvious Bonk: I’d also have consideration for a soul Calibur character (less likely since it’s a PlayStation exclusive, but Link was in the second one and Namco makes Smash), Ryu Hayabua (Tecmo is liking making their Nintendo Warriors games).

And Bub and Bob... but I think I’m alone on that one. And probably Bonk.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Bomberman is one of my favorite video game protagonists. But, I think the most likely outcome in terms of being classic, iconic, popular, and nativity would be "Super Smash Bros. x Castlevania"

Besides Rayman and Bomberman and the obvious Bonk: I’d also have consideration for a soul Calibur character (less likely since it’s a PlayStation exclusive, but Link was in the second one and Namco makes Smash), Ryu Hayabua (Tecmo is liking making their Nintendo Warriors games).
Are you inferring that Nintendo owes these companies a favor or something for working with them? Or that companies have some animosity towards Nintendo or vice versa for putting exclusives on other consoles?

I think Third-party characters are more likely based on familiarity and popularity with Nintendo fans. Not Nintendo. If Ryu Hayabusa were a candidate, it would be because of Ninja Gaiden. Not Hyrule Warriors.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I disagree. I feel like Sakurai's strictness in the roster's exclusivity has been beneficial. Obviously he's been more open minded in recent years which led to great additions like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer and he can make just about anything work if he puts his mind to it.

But, I don't want the bar lowered to what most people wanna lower it too. Most people wanna put in whomever fills the role of fourth playable character in a co-op game (Toad, Waddle Dee, Cranky Kong), add characters for the sole purpose of inflating the reps of a series (Kamek, Sylux, Tom Nook) or worst of all, just start adding characters from whatever the newest game is (Champions of The Ballad, Magolor, Ghirahim, Isabelle).

And I'm sure I'm gonna get a lovely retort from a certain somebody I know who's gonna try to argue that Pokemon and Fire Emblem is the same thing as The Legend of Zelda.
I don't see how Miyamoto as a director would lower the bar, though, especially with Sakurai still in a consulting role. Could you explain why you think that would be?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how Miyamoto as a director would lower the bar, though, especially with Sakurai still in a consulting role. Could you explain why you think that would be?
I'm not saying he would. I specifically said I wanted Sakurai in a consulting role. Because I have no idea what Miyamoto would do. He might put in Cat Mario for all I know, I never met the guy.

I'm just saying what I don't want to happen. I misinterpreted your idea of "creativity".

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Think with Final Fantasy

We didn't get chocobo
We didn't get moogle

Rayman playable
That issue could be fixed easily.

Just use Rabbid Mario from Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which automatically opens up a potential moveset for unique weapons to use. Give him alts for the other Rabbids characters if necessary, and done. The Rabbids in this game all have their own personalities as well, which helps their overall situation.

Some may argue that these characters have only had one appearance on the Switch, but imo that's all they really need to be good additions in my book. I want Smash 5 to put a huge focus on Switch content anyway.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
For 3rd Party characters, i think Rayman, Bomberman and Rabbits as joke characters are the most likely additions right now.
However, I have to say that I don't think the Rabbits are getting in without Rayman also being in the game. Most people recognise Rayman as a mascot for Ubisoft. If they decide to put Rabbits without Rayman also being in the game they'd receive a lot of hate for sure.

Also, Crash Bandicoot maaaaaaaaay also have a chance if the rumor about the N. Sane Trilogy coming to the Switch is true, considering how iconic he is for the gaming industry. A man can dream can't he?

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Also, Crash Bandicoot maaaaaaaaay also have a chance if the rumor about the N. Sane Trilogy coming to the Switch is true, considering how iconic he is for the gaming industry. A man can dream can't he?
Now THAT'S a joke character. But, it would be fun.

I was never a fan of Crash Bandicoot, in fact, I actively disliked the series and characters. Then I bought N. Sane Trilogy and it became my favorite game of 2017. I played each game for as long as 4 hours. I had to get every Crystal and Relic and I wouldn't stop until I did.

I don't think appearing recently on a Nintendo console means anything though.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The winner was Groose, yes this is not a joke. Breath of the Wild Link was pretty close while both OoT sages were left in the dust, Ruto and Darunia equally.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Tomorrow will be Metroid time. So a big purple fan favorite all make an appearance regardless of the things he has against him currently.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Why is it that the Gorons always take L's in these things?

Anyways, Ridley would only have the best chance with a new director. That would depend IF said new director would see if making him work as a fighter would be worth the effort (long *** tail and massive wings aside).

Even Sakurai kind of wants to back out of Smash lately.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
For 3rd Party characters, i think Rayman, Bomberman and Rabbits as joke characters are the most likely additions right now
Just to clarify, I meant only the Rabbits as joke characters (as I don't know on what form they'd get in). Rayman and Bomberman weren't meant to be included on that definition, in case anyone interpreted that.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Bomberman is one of my favorite video game protagonists. But, I think the most likely outcome in terms of being classic, iconic, popular, and nativity would be "Super Smash Bros. x Castlevania"

Are you inferring that Nintendo owes these companies a favor or something for working with them? Or that companies have some animosity towards Nintendo or vice versa for putting exclusives on other consoles?

I think Third-party characters are more likely based on familiarity and popularity with Nintendo fans. Not Nintendo. If Ryu Hayabusa were a candidate, it would be because of Ninja Gaiden. Not Hyrule Warriors.
I’m just saying a good relationship with the third party seems to not hurt the chances for the part of third party characters in Smash.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Just to clarify, I meant only the Rabbits as joke characters (as I don't know on what form they'd get in). Rayman and Bomberman weren't meant to be included on that definition, in case anyone interpreted that.
Yeah, when I heard Bomberman next to "joke character" I was concerned.

Do you even KNOW what "joke character" means?
Sorry. I adhere to the nuance of the English language. Not buzzwords created by gamers.

I assume you're talking about "useless" characters?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So the word we should be looking for is Fighting Clown?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Is ist such a radical idea to get someone with experience directing a fighting game to direct Smash Switch?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do have a concept idea if Adventure mode does somehow return. It would basically involve the Legend of Zelda stage, and a possible mid-boss for it.

Lynel
Lynel.png

The Lynel serves as a mid-boss for the Legend of Zelda stage. How powerful the Lynel will be depends on the set intensity, along with the difficulty route that the stage takes place at.
Intensity | Route | Lynel Variant
0.0 - 1.9 | All Routes | Lynel
2.0 - 2.9 | Easy and Normal | Lynel
2.0 - 2.9 | Hard | Blue-Maned Lynel
3.0 - 4.9 | Easy | Lynel
3.0 - 4.9 | Normal | Blue-Maned Lynel
3.0 - 4.9 | Hard | White-Maned Lynel
5.0 - 7.9 | Easy | Blue-Maned Lynel
5.0 - 7.9 | Normal | White-Maned Lynel
5.0 - 7.9 | Hard | Silver Lynel
8.0 - 9.0 | Easy | White-Maned Lynel
8.0 - 9.0 | Normal | Silver Lynel
8.0 - 9.0 | Hard | Golden Lynel
The Lynel's coloration also determines its damage multiplier.
  • Lynel: 1x
  • Blue-Maned Lynel: 1.2x
  • White-Maned Lynel: 1.4x
  • Silver Lynel: 1.6x
  • Golden Lynel: 1.8x
The stronger Lynel variants will reward players with greater prizes when defeated, but they'll also be more aggressive with their attacks. All Lynel variants are also impervious to flinching, except when the player manages to land a strong hit on their faces, which will leave them temporarily stunned.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I do have a concept idea if Adventure mode does somehow return. It would basically involve the Legend of Zelda stage, and a possible mid-boss for it.

Lynel
View attachment 136629

The Lynel serves as a mid-boss for the Legend of Zelda stage. How powerful the Lynel will be depends on the set intensity, along with the difficulty route that the stage takes place at.
3.0 - 4.9 | Easy | Lynel
The stronger Lynel variants will reward players with greater prizes when defeated, but they'll also be more aggressive with their attacks. All Lynel variants are also impervious to flinching, except when the player manages to land a strong hit on their faces, which will leave them temporarily stunned.
If I see that thing in another game, I'm gonna **** my pants, drop the controller, and cower under my bed.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Lynel
View attachment 136629

3.0 - 4.9 | Easy | Lynel
Actually, that's not a bad idea.

He would make the Darknuts seem like a joke in comparison.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Sorry. I adhere to the nuance of the English language. Not buzzwords created by gamers.

I assume you're talking about "useless" characters?
Those "buzzwords" can make you easier to understand by said gamers though.

And joke characters aren't just "useless" characters, they are characters purposefully designed to be bad.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Actually, that's not a bad idea.

He would make the Darknuts seem like a joke in comparison.
I had a few boss ideas in my Adventure Mode Concept, that I thought would be cool:
https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...tion-discussion.434391/page-330#post-21914773

• Whispy Woods
  • Pigma (Star Fox Command)
  • Gieuge (Earthbound Beginnings)
  • Raphael The Raven
  • Pandora & Dark Pit (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
  • Louie & The Titan Dweevil
  • Mecha Bowser
  • Metal Face
  • Metal Sonic (with his powers from Sonic 4: Episode II/Metal)
  • Yellow Devil
  • Giga Bowser & Ganon
There's context for the levels they appear in. What bosses would you wanna see in a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch Adventure Mode?

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm not saying he would. I specifically said I wanted Sakurai in a consulting role. Because I have no idea what Miyamoto would do. He might put in Cat Mario for all I know, I never met the guy.

I'm just saying what I don't want to happen. I misinterpreted your idea of "creativity".
I didn't even use the term creativity in my posts?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
though.
And joke characters aren't just "useless" characters, they are characters purposefully designed to be bad.
I like those characters. They're fun. Like how you can capture a Pirahna Plant in Super Mario Odyssey. You can't move and all you can do is shoot goo that would harm you. That **** is awesome.

I want Pichu back. Even if he is purposefully bad, it adds novelty to the game and he's a deserved character with his own merits. I mean he's a baby version of Pikachu, the series mascot. How awesome is that? I got bored of Pikachu in Melee so it was nice to have an alternate form of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom