• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Oh yes XD
Waluigi in Smash would be cool though, just imagine all the crazy skins he could have.

Also true, i imagine Sakurai wouldn't want to put that in because of people taking it...."Too Far". It just shows how much Sakurai Cares about his games
Yeah, but we might get voice chat, since Nintendo is sort of abandoning the whole Disney kid-friendly thing. That would be fun for going against friends online.

Also his name is Daddy Sakurai, its 2018 guys, we should know this by now.

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
Yeah, but we might get voice chat, since Nintendo is sort of abandoning the whole Disney kid-friendly thing. That would be fun for going against friends online.

Also his name is Daddy Sakurai, its 2018 guys, we should know this by now.
Oof-
Im sorry, i'll call him daddy next time :joyful:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to create a thread for this in General Discussion. There will be a Daddy Sakurai in our Smash 5.

Edit: Thread Created, go check it out! Make Daddy Sakurai become a reality!

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I also propose to buff the hell out of Fox. Make all of his hitboxes twice their size, and give him his Melee shine.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay guys lets calm down.

Too much ****posting will get you in trouble.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman

Got a little too excited there, back on topic. I still think that custom taunt sets would be a welcome addition to Smash 5. Also, it needs a better name than something like Super Smash Bros. For Wii U. Although we abbreviated it to Smash 4, it would still be nice to have an actual name like Brawl and Melee did.

Edit: I would also like to have no characters from Ssb4 cut, it would be too sad to say goodbye to Villager or Lucas.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Whenever the sad day comes, and we get the Final Smash title. I hope it’s Super Smash Bros. Final Battle

...and then when they port it over to the new console with all the DLC and new content it’ll be called Super Smash Bros. Final Battle: ReMatch!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The final Smash will happen when Nintendo stops wanting money.

They'll completely reboot the series before they let it die.

D

Deleted member

I know, right? I mean I have to catch up even faster. Swamp is right, lets all calm down and be very respectful and civil.

Anyways...

You know, I feel like Smash for Switch should just be it's name. Smash for Switch honestly has a nice ring to it, and it feels easy to process and to draw out.

I would like to move on to another topic, but some of you would not.

Do you know what would be nice? Target Blast returning. Honestly, Target Shot feels a lot more dull and less skillful. Target Shot was a great way to pull of skill and it was actually fun to see how good you can do with your skill. I say that they can make stages more relating to certain things in one stage for a separate character like wall-jumping for Little Mac. Target Shot and Target Blast could be both in Smash for Switch at the same time, which is fine by me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Target Smash!! should make a comeback. It made no sense to leave that out of Smash 4 when we gave Target Blast, a combination of Target Smash!! and Home-Run Contest, when we have the latter returning as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Target Smash!! should make a comeback. It made no sense to leave that out of Smash 4 when we gave Target Blast, a combination of Target Smash!! and Home-Run Contest, when we have the latter returning as well.
Honestly? Both are fun. I'd still love specific Target Tests again, but I get why that's not possible anymore. 25 was a lot already(especially since the ones in 64 weren't reused whatsoever).

D

Deleted member

Target Smash is unlikely to come back.

We lost the individual Target stages starting with Brawl due to the number of characters making it cumbersome, and we likely lost the Brawl-styled level-based ones due to difficulty in designing levels that each character can complete since you have characters like Little Mac who are pure **** in the air.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They could truncate Target Smash dev time by dividing it up by series. A Mario target test, a Zelda target test, etc. They could even group all the retros together and reuse stage assets if they were so inclined to save dev time. Without crunching any numbers, that would probably bring it back to roughly Melee's number.

Not that I expect this to happen. But it'd be a nice workaround imo.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The winner was Skull Kid. Midna was in the lead for a while, but he beat her overtime. Then Impa caught up to Midna with Ghirahim lagging behind.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'll just do the next Zelda tomorrow for now. That Mario Kart 8 stream I did among other server duties exhausted me.

But I'll say this, expect more fan favorites like Tetra and Ganon (Beast) tomorrow.
Woo! Go Skull Kid!!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the best way to bring back individual Target Smash (as well as Board the Platforms and maybe even Race to the Finish) is to expand on the stage builder and give us the option to make one, give us the option to make specific one for different characters and uploading them online (granted that you've proven that their beatable first) is probably the best way to go about.

I agree that they probably removed it due to the sheer size of the cast nowadays making it too time consuming for the dev's to the point their better off spending development time on other things at that point.

D

Deleted member

So here's something I haven't seen being talked about much:

If Smash 5 is to have a subtitle similar to what Melee and Brawl have, rather than just being Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch (or whatever), what would you pick?
Recently, I promised myself I would only be on these forums on Saturdays only but some of y'all ask interesting questions that I shall make an exception. Y'all know how Melee is known as Dairantou Smash Brothers DX and Brawl is known as Dairantou Smash Brothers X? Of course those are the Japanese names which I think sound better (and no I am not Japanese). To me, this speculative Smash ought to be called Super Smash Brothers Z. There are those memorable DBZ moments in the games; I got this idea when I started to get my Dragon Ball Z fix on this month. Some of the Final Smashes such as :4mario:'s or even :4darkpit:'s reminds me of that show. It makes sense, right?

Sayonara :kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Guys, guys,

How about a Target Test builder (and a Board the Platform one too while we're at it)?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the best way to bring back individual Target Smash (as well as Board the Platforms and maybe even Race to the Finish) is to expand on the stage builder and give us the option to make one, give us the option to make specific one for different characters and uploading them online (granted that you've proven that their beatable first) is probably the best way to go about.
Getting some serious Mario Maker vibes here. If they do go that route, I hope they'll provide plenty of different tools to search for Target Smashes I might like instead of making it completely random. With my luck, the stages I'd get would be insanely easy or could only be completed through obscure glitches.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In terms of mechanic adjustments, I can probably think of one.

In a Giant Special Smash, acquiring a Super Mushroom causes fighters to deal 3.08x their normal damage. That's highly overpowering when you consider that in standard smash matches, Super Mushrooms only raise a fighter's damage multiplier to 1.56x.

I was able to study the damage calculation that's used whenever a fighter's size changes, and I think I know how to make the Super Mushroom less overpowered in a Giant Special Smash. Instead of doubling the fighter's size (from 1.8x, to 3.6x), it would only increase the fighter's size by 1.7x (from 1.8x, to 3.06x), just like in standard smash matches. As for the calculation formula...

(((1.8 * 1.7) - 1) * 0.8) + 1 = 2.648

It should be noted that the above formula is actually used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Giant Special Smash game mode; for most fighters, acquiring Super Mushrooms caused their damage multiplier to increase to 2.648x, but based on my research, a few fighters were treated unfairly in that they received a stronger 3.08x damage multiplier instead (they included Wario, Wario-Man, Samus, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucario, and Solid Snake).

D

Deleted member

They could truncate Target Smash dev time by dividing it up by series. A Mario target test, a Zelda target test, etc. They could even group all the retros together and reuse stage assets if they were so inclined to save dev time. Without crunching any numbers, that would probably bring it back to roughly Melee's number.

Good Idea, but I would prefer it based on what certain skill a character has. For example, Fox has lasers so he can have a course to himself about shooting. Little Mac can have a course of himself wall-jumping. Then again, my idea is going to be hard to fit some characters so I consider your idea good.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In terms of mechanic adjustments, I can probably think of one.

In a Giant Special Smash, acquiring a Super Mushroom causes fighters to deal 3.08x their normal damage. That's highly overpowering when you consider that in standard smash matches, Super Mushrooms only raise a fighter's damage multiplier to 1.56x.

I was able to study the damage calculation that's used whenever a fighter's size changes, and I think I know how to make the Super Mushroom less overpowered in a Giant Special Smash. Instead of doubling the fighter's size (from 1.8x, to 3.6x), it would only increase the fighter's size by 1.7x (from 1.8x, to 3.06x), just like in standard smash matches. As for the calculation formula...

(((1.8 * 1.7) - 1) * 0.8) + 1 = 2.648

It should be noted that the above formula is actually used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Giant Special Smash game mode; for most fighters, acquiring Super Mushrooms caused their damage multiplier to increase to 2.648x, but based on my research, a few fighters were treated unfairly in that they received a stronger 3.08x damage multiplier instead (they included Wario, Wario-Man, Samus, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Lucario, and Solid Snake).
You know what is truly ATROCIOUS? Giga Bowser dealing less damage than Bowser with a Mega Mushroom!

D

Deleted member

Sure, thematically that would work. However, I liked that Target Smash served (or could serve) as an indirect tutorial to teach players the finer points of their own character. That's what made the Melee ones so good. In order to complete them, you had to develop a certain degree of competence with that character.

D

Deleted member

Sure, thematically that would work. However, I liked that Target Smash served (or could serve) as an indirect tutorial to teach players the finer points of their own character. That's what made the Melee ones so good. In order to complete them, you had to develop a certain degree of competence with that character.
Exactly what I said. :laugh: I agree with you.
You know what is truly ATROCIOUS? Giga Bowser dealing less damage than Bowser with a Mega Mushroom!
Well, if Giga Bowser did more damage than Bowser with a Super Mushroom, it would probably be the best Final Smash in the entire game, or at least top five. It would make sense for Giga Bowser to exert more damage than Bowser with a Super Mushroom. Are you thinking Super Mushroom? Mega Mushroom is the wrong name, that is the mushroom that makes Mario huge in New Super Mario Brothers for DS. The Mega Mushroom is not in Smash Brothers though.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, if Giga Bowser did more damage than Bowser with a Super Mushroom, it would probably be the best Final Smash in the entire game, or at least top five. It would make sense for Giga Bowser to exert more damage than Bowser with a Super Mushroom.
Who cares about Final Smashes anyway? :^)

Are you thinking Super Mushroom? Mega Mushroom is the wrong name, that is the mushroom that makes Mario huge in New Super Mario Brothers for DS. The Mega Mushroom is not in Smash Brothers though.
In all fairness, the Super Mushroom's effect in Smash is the same as the Mega Mushroom in the Mario games, so we know what he means either way. :p

D

Deleted member

Recently, I promised myself I would only be on these forums on Saturdays only but some of y'all ask interesting questions that I shall make an exception. Y'all know how Melee is known as Dairantou Smash Brothers DX and Brawl is known as Dairantou Smash Brothers X? Of course those are the Japanese names which I think sound better (and no I am not Japanese). To me, this speculative Smash ought to be called Super Smash Brothers Z. There are those memorable DBZ moments in the games; I got this idea when I started to get my Dragon Ball Z fix on this month. Some of the Final Smashes such as :4mario:'s or even :4darkpit:'s reminds me of that show. It makes sense, right?

Sayonara :kirby:
DX = Deluxe
X = Cross

Exactly what I said. :laugh: I agree with you.
Now I'm interesting in wondering what other sorts of modes similar to the target test you could have that also test your abilities with specific characters.

I remember the SF series had the Car one, and the rolling barrels.

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
I just got a cool idea For some stuff.
if they were to add a new mode in the new game, i think it might be something to do with a shop.
Like, lets say you have to buy new stages with currency in smash, and the same with some characters. Like lets say that you have all the characters except Bayonetta, Corrin, Ryu, Lucas, and Mewtwo. You can buy each for 7000G or something

hAKLE

Smash Cadet
NNID
mariomush115
if they were to add a new mode in the new game, i think it might be something to do with a shop.
Like, lets say you have to buy new stages with currency in smash, and the same with some characters. Like lets say that you have all the characters except Bayonetta, Corrin, Ryu, Lucas, and Mewtwo. You can buy each for 7000G or something
and then guess what? You need to buy the smash currency to buy the characters! genius!

D

Deleted member

I could never see Nintendo doing something like that, not with Smash at least. They're effectively giving players a way to get stuff for free, and there's not many factors in which it would be profitable for them. It would actually generate less profit for them as most Smash players already buy all the meaningful DLC.

The only way something like that would work is if you incorporated a randomized system like lootboxes or whatever, and made the in-game currency challenging to grind. However, paid games + monetization schemes have gotten a lot of bad rap. Only way that would ever be accepted would be under a f2p model. And Smash going f2p might sour a lot of people too, as it's primarily seen as a casual party game my a good chunk of the fanbase. No one is gonna wanna grind for hours just to have all the characters so they can play with their friends.

It's funny too, as I think a f2p model that rewarded you with money for winning matches or online tourneys, which you could use to buy more stuff, is a great way to incentivize players to get competitively good. There's a lot you could do with a f2p model tbh to generate greater player engagement in a competitive sense, there's just a lot of bad rap for that sort of stuff these days due to it being abused by AAA publishers like EA and Activision.

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
Ah...I see, i guess i can see why thats not a good idea.
Then i just want them to bring back Trophy Rush

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Back and ready to do more Zelda. This one is fairly straightforward with a few darkhorses and one controversial character turned Assist Trophy. Your picks are Classic Ganon (Yes, the blue pig form of Dorf with the trident), Tetra, Vaati, and Tingle.

I'm expecting Ganon to fare well since many want a more unique case than the Ganondorf we have now.

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
Back and ready to do more Zelda. This one is fairly straightforward with a few darkhorses and one controversial character turned Assist Trophy. Your picks are Classic Ganon (Yes, the blue pig form of Dorf with the trident), Tetra, Vaati, and Tingle.

I'm expecting Ganon to fare well since many want a more unique case than the Ganondorf we have now.
Tetra with downB transforming her into Toon Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom