• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The main problem with Ridley is not so much his size, but more the length of his wings.
When Sakurai said that Ridley as a playable character wouldn't be Ridley anymore. He wasn't just talking about his size. The fact that he can't fly around freely and be easily grabbed by characters was another thing he brought up.
I suppose technically, but is anyone really going to point at Mario and say he's an antagonist?

Also, as noted above, that Donkey Kong is canonically not the same as the one in the arcade game.
That's just a stupid joke by Rare that was never meant to be taken seriously. Nintendo clearly acknowledges him as the same Donkey Kong from the Arcade.

And please don't get the idea I want to have an argument about this.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I suppose technically, but is anyone really going to point at Mario and say he's an antagonist?

Also, as noted above, that Donkey Kong is canonically not the same as the one in the arcade game.
The thing is, what determines a protagonist from an antagonist is whose viewpoint the audience sees the story from. In DK Junior, because you play as DK Jr, Mario is definitely the antagonist.

It's not something you can say over all like hero or villain, because protagonist vs antagonist often varies between works.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The thing is, what determines a protagonist from an antagonist is whose viewpoint the audience sees the story from. In DK Junior, because you play as DK Jr, Mario is definitely the antagonist.

It's not something you can say over all like hero or villain, because protagonist vs antagonist often varies between works.
That's a very fair point.

I will concede that those characters have all been antagonists in the past, but I don't think the moniker of "antagonist" is as useful as "villain" for the purposes of Smash Bros.

I would argue that the following are true villains:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4dedede::wolf:
The following are debatable:
:4wario::4metaknight::4darkpit:
The following are a stretch:
:4mario::4dk::4mewtwo:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's a very fair point.

I will concede that those characters have all been antagonists in the past, but I don't think the moniker of "antagonist" is as useful as "villain" for the purposes of Smash Bros.

We're not talking about villains. So I don't know why you're telling me this.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Wolf isn't really s villain though. He's a mercenary who follows people who can give him a good pay. He'd be debatable.

Wario started off as a villain in Super Mario Land 2. If you count Dedede as a true villain even though he's helped Kirby many times, then Wario should be there too.

Dark Pit is a stretch. He's more of a rival than an actual villain.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Didn't King Dedede switch sides anyway, and often is doing stuff to save the world? He's questionable. It's really mainly the anime where he's a villain.

I thought Wolf switched sides since 64? Then again, the reboot happened, so...

Rest aren't villains in the truest sense, yeah.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
We're not talking about villains. So I don't know why you're telling me this.
It's not really directed at you. I'm just making the statement that the common complaint of lack of antagonists tends to be referring to true villains more often than not.

I'm not trying to sound antagonistic, by the way. You had a completely fair point.

Wolf isn't really s villain though. He's a mercenary who follows people who can give him a good pay. He'd be debatable.

Wario started off as a villain in Super Mario Land 2. If you count Dedede as a true villain even though he's helped Kirby many times, then Wario should be there too.

Dark Pit is a stretch. He's more of a rival than an actual villain.
Didn't King Dedede switch sides anyway, and often is doing stuff to save the world? He's questionable. It's really mainly the anime where he's a villain.

Villains:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4ganondorf:
Debatable:
:4wario::4metaknight::4dedede::wolf:
A Stretch:
:4mewtwo::4darkpit:
A Huge Stretch:
:4mario::4dk:

Better?

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

No one said they were villains though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's see what current series have and don't have some kind of Antagonist (Ignoring those that went to star in own games)

:4mario:w/:4bowser::4bowserjr:
:4link:w/:4ganondorf:
:4pikachu:w/:4mewtwo:
:4fox:w/:wolf:
:4kirby:w/:4dedede::4metaknight:
:4pit:w/:4darkpit:

Mario Sub-Series
:4dk:Outside the big ape himself, King K. Rool's been a popular fan choice for ages
:4yoshi:Shares his baddies with Mario
:4wario2:Captain Syrup maybe but you'd be hard pressed to make a full moveset

Series with multiple characters already

:4samus: Has a few good choices even if the main one's absence had gone memetic.
:4ness:Not sure who could be, outside of The Masked Man
:4marth:Maybe we've got enough Blue haired protagonists. And White Haired ones too. (Pictured: Chopped liver:4feroy:)

Single Character series with options

:4falcon:I think we all lost hope of another F-Zero Racer a while ago but has a lot of choice in anycase (Samurai Goroh, Pico, Black Shadow ect.)
:4villager:[Tom Nook Joke]
:4littlemac:Any of the opponents could work as Balrog/M.Bison Style fighters
:4shulk:Possible but I think one of the protags from later games would come first

No hope nellies
:4drmario::4duckhunt::4mii::4gaw::4olimar::4rob::4wiifit:

3rd parties
:4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm back and ready to start the Legend of Zelda as far as options. I'm going to make this a little harder having the fan favorites altogether. Your picks are between Skull Kid, Midna, Impa, and Ghirahim.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I can already tell there will be "This is evil, you are forcing me to choose between my two favorite characters?". There's got to be a challenge after all.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm back and ready to start the Legend of Zelda as far as options. I'm going to make this a little harder having the fan favorites altogether. Your picks are between Skull Kid, Midna, Impa, and Ghirahim.

I can already tell there will be "This is evil, you are forcing me to choose between my two favorite characters?". There's got to be a challenge after all.
Among that list is solely Impa for me. Still would prefer Ganon and Tingle first, but eh.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If you want a Balrog-style fighter, Mr. Sandman would honestly work best.
Or Mike Tyson himself. But that'd be a whole new can of legal worms for a celebrity endorsement that's not worth that much these days.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather see Midna make it to the roster than the others.

Skull Kid and Impa are definitely more likely but I like Midna more. Plus that hair would make for a unique moveset (unless Dixie Kong makes the roster).

D

Deleted member

I, a 56-year-old female Smasher, am up for this challenge. I would of loved to see Toon Zelda as a newcomer myself, but one can always dream. Sa, tsuite wa...Ghirahim is my choice. If :4littlemac: can get upgraded from Assist Trophy to playable character, so can he. Those attacks he does...teleporting could be his up-special, the throwing knives could be neutral special. The one where he dashes at you is a good candidate for a dash attack. Finally, the attack that he does up close could be his forward smash.

Aside from that, Smash can stand a couple more antagonistic fighters.

Sayonara :kirby:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I, a 56-year-old female Smasher, am up for this challenge. I would of loved to see Toon Zelda as a newcomer myself, but one can always dream. Sa, tsuite wa...Ghirahim is my choice. If :4littlemac: can get upgraded from Assist Trophy to playable character, so can he. Those attacks he does...teleporting could be his up-special, the throwing knives could be neutral special. The one where he dashes at you is a good candidate for a dash attack. Finally, the attack that he does up close could be his forward smash.

Aside from that, Smash can stand a couple more antagonistic fighters.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but do you need to throw in the fact you are apparently a 56-year-old woman in every post you make?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seeing you guys vote for Impa makes my heart fill with joy.

Signed, a 27 year old male white Rastafarian from Europe with a 4 year old :colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:.

Last edited:

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
Impa's skins will be cool too, heres some ideas:
Hyrule Warriors Impa - Default
Green
Red
Blue
Yellow
Skyward Sword Costume + 2 extra color variations
Ocarina of Time costume + 2 extra color variations

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
I still wouldn't count them. They were heroes longer than they were bad guys.
They really are good people, Dk and DK. JR
DK. JR went on a quest to save his father from the zoo Mario was keepign him captive.
DK is just a father trying to protect his friends and family, and DK. JR is just a child.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still wouldn't count them. They were heroes longer than they were bad guys.
There's a difference between an antagonist and a villain. That's what they were getting at.

D

Deleted member

I don't mean to come off as rude, but do you need to throw in the fact you are apparently a 56-year-old woman in every post you make?
You could of approached me in a better way. If y'all want me to stop with that, then I shall stop. Everyone knows I am the oldest user on these forums thus far by now anyway. It is a habit I have developed since I have been on these forums.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You could of approached me in a better way. If y'all want me to stop with that, then I shall stop. Everyone knows I am the oldest user on these forums thus far by now anyway. It is a habit I have developed since I have been on these forums.

Well like I said I didn't mean for that comment to come off as me rudely calling you out on it. Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough.

Last edited:

Meshmaster101

Smash Cadet
Hypothetical scenario, say every character got their own victory theme (remix of usual series theme or unique) who you have with what theme?

Just to go over the Mario Cast

:4mario:Keep
:4luigi:Remixed Snippet from https://youtu.be/OgdoI0lUYDw
:4peach:Super Mario 64 Star Get music
:4bowser:Keep
:4drmario:Dr Mario (the game) has a victory theme but I'd go for a remix of the iconic Fever
:rosalina:Keep
:4bowserjr:Metal Mix of the NSMB level clear theme
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: Metal Mix of SMB3's level clear theme

:4dk:Remix of the Original Victory Music from Donkey Kong Arcade
:4diddy:Keep

:4yoshi:&:4wario:Keep
i think bowser's should be more something like this: https://youtu.be/wGsMkHcCegE?t=6

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All's been said and done, but I'm going to jump in on the conversation anyway.

:4bowser::4bowserjr::4ganondorf: are the only true villains here. These guys are almost always depicted as "the bad guys" and usually don't have a positive impact on the game's protagonist.

:4dedede::4metaknight::wolf::4darkpit::4wario2: are all considered rivals or anti-heroes. While none are necessarily good, they aren't villains either, as all have either played the role as the main protagonist or defied a game's antagonist at least once. In addition, if any of these characters have taken on a role as a major antagonist before, their motives were not nearly as evil as other villains in franchise (Wario hijacked a castle and Dedede stole food).

:4mewtwo:is a bit weird to categorize. While he was the main antagonist in the first Pokémon movie, he changed and became a supporting character in future films. In the games however, he has never been directly shown to be evil, only aggressive and uncaring. The closest he's ever been to being evil is his role as one of the Pokémon Giovanni summon in battle, and that's not necessarily evidence that Mewtwo himself is bad.

:4mario::4dk:have been an antagonist before, but neither are close to being villains. Almost every game they appear in depicts them as good guys with good motives.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Nintendo had the rights to Diddy well before Brawl was made.

He wasn't third-party at all by that point.
Read the post again, I was referring to the fact that he was made by a non-Japanese company. It has nothing to do with him being third party.

Are you obliged to always act like a jerk?
It's not my fault you guys are mostly over-sensitive children who can't take a joke :p

You can dish it out but you can't take it.

Last edited:

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
On another note, heres what i HOPE the final roster is going to look like.
It was confirmed that the next SSB game will have the DLC Added to the vanilla game.
So heres what i think will be the final roster.
Mario Roster:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Yoshi
Rosalina & Luma
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Bowser JR.
Geno
Zelda Roster:
Link
Toon Link
Zelda
Toon Zelda + Tetra
Ganondorf
Impa
Sheik
Metroid Roster:
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
(Maybe theres NEW character coming in MP:4 that we dont know)
Pokemon roster:
Pikachu
Lucario
Greninja
Charizard
Blastoise
Ivysaur
Blaziken
Mother Roster:
Ness
Lucas
Claus
Poo
Kumatora
Duster
Star Fox Roster:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
Fire Emblem Roster:
Lucina
Robin
Marth
Roy
Chrom
Ike
Tharja
Cordelia
Azura
Returning DLC characters:
Bayonetta
Corrin
Cloud
Ryu

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
It was confirmed that the next SSB game will have the DLC Added to the vanilla game.
Mario Roster:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Yoshi
Rosalina & Luma
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Bowser JR.
Geno
Zelda Roster:
Link
Toon Link
Zelda
Toon Zelda + Tetra
Ganondorf
Impa
Sheik
Metroid Roster:
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Pokemon roster:
Pikachu
Lucario
Greninja
Charizard
Blastoise
Ivysaur
Blaziken
Mother Roster:
Ness
Lucas
Claus
Poo
Kumatora
Duster
Star Fox Roster:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
Fire Emblem Roster:
Lucina
Robin
Marth
Roy
Chrom
Ike
Tharja
Cordelia
Azura
Bayonetta
Corrin
Cloud
Ryu
Wait is this what you hope for or what you think will happen? You didn't make it very clear.

Also I suggest you put the series names in bold at least, in order to make your post easier to read

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Read the post again, I was referring to the fact that he was made by a non-Japanese company. It has nothing to do with him being third party.
Yes, but the guy specifically said non-Japanese third party characters:
Call me irrational, but I don't wanna see any non Japanese third parties. It just feels out of place for me.
Diddy Kong, nor anything in the Donkey Kong franchise, is not a third party character. They may have been CREATED by a non-Japanese third party [Rare], sure, but Nintendo still owns the rights to those characters.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not my fault you guys are mostly over-sensitive children who can't take a joke :p

You can dish it out but you can't take it.
Y'know, it's just as childish to call everyone "over-sensitive children who can't take a joke".

Just sayin'.

Mario Roster:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Wario
Yoshi
Rosalina & Luma
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Bowser JR.
Geno
Zelda Roster:
Link
Toon Link
Zelda
Toon Zelda + Tetra
Ganondorf
Impa
Sheik
Metroid Roster:
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Pokemon roster:
Pikachu
Lucario
Greninja
Charizard
Blastoise
Ivysaur
Blaziken
Mother Roster:
Ness
Lucas
Claus
Poo
Kumatora
Duster
Star Fox Roster:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal
Fire Emblem Roster:
Lucina
Robin
Marth
Roy
Chrom
Ike
Tharja
Cordelia
Azura
Bayonetta
Corrin
Cloud
Ryu
Geez Louise, that is a very long list. Don't agree with every addition (nine FE characters!?), but I see a few good choices here and there. Glad to see Wolf and Ivysaur return.

Last edited:

Hubba_Wubba

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingNightmare26
3DS FC
5430-0613-8772
yeah, i just like alot of FE characters ;-;
Also, thats a list i HOPE i want. and i'l put bold letters on them next time to make it easier, thanks for letting me know :)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I know what you were referring to. What I don't understand is why you brought that up, because the original post you replied to does very much have something to do with third-parties.

It wasn't necessary to point that out to Jinjo when he was saying he didn't want any non-Japanese third-parties, specifically. Not any non-Japanese characters in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom